• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation acquires Firesprite

I didn't say anything about a publisher.... maybe I have in different threads but I would prefer a few targeted studios like IOI, Kadokawa or Remedy. Even Asobo would be a decent one.

Remedy? Why? Kadokawa is a big company, worth north of two billion dollars...They would buy the whole thing just for you to brag about them securing From as an exclusive partner? What game did they make with IOI?
Do you realize that a lot of thinking goes into the acquisition of studios, and that Sony is obviously interested in talent and synergies above IP? Buddy, they are capable of creating their own successful franchises. How about you wait until Firesprite reveal what they have been working on before throwing a tantrum? Naughty Dog became Naughty Dog, they grew and improved and got to where they are now, and many of Sony Studios have followed a similar trajectory...That is less disruptive of the market as a whole, and much smarter financially.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Remedy? Why? Kadokawa is a big company, worth north of two billion dollars...They would buy the whole thing just for you to brag about them securing From as an exclusive partner? What game did they make with IOI?
Do you realize that a lot of thinking goes into the acquisition of studios, and that Sony is obviously interested in talent and synergies above IP. Buddy, they are capable of creating their own. How about you wsit until Firesprite reveal what they have been working on before throwing a tantrum. Naughty Dog became Naughty Dog, they grew and improved and got to where they are now, and many of Sony Studios have followed a similar trajectory...That is less disruptive of the market as a whole, and much smarter financially.
Really well said. Microsoft got zenimax because they wanted to sell. Both parties agree on the deal. But some people think Phil Spencer walk in their office made everyone hostage.

SaucyJack

I don't know. I've got nothing against this acquisition, if Sony sees it fits their strategy good for them, but if that's rganic growth then you could say the same for Microsoft’s purchases too. I just find it funny how do the same but some people see it as different.

Gradually growing your portfolio of studios, through acquisition of companies that you have worked with for years, that have delivered for you and know well as part of a strategy that you have used for decades is organic growth.

Going on a spending spree and tripling the number of studios you have in a 3 or 4 year period, to fill a massive gap, is the definition of inorganic. Not saying it’s bad, it was long overdue.

Acquiring Undead Labs or Playground is organic, this is like the Insomniac, Housemarque, even Firesprite deals.

Acquiring Zenimax, no matter how chummy they were, was not. The equivalent would be Sony buying Square Enix.

Bryank75

Banned
Do you realize that a lot of thinking goes into the acquisition of studios, and that Sony is obviously interested in talent and synergies above IP? Buddy, they are capable of creating their own successful franchises. How about you wait until Firesprite reveal what they have been working on before throwing a tantrum? Naughty Dog became Naughty Dog, they grew and improved and got to where they are now, and many of Sony Studios have followed a similar trajectory...That is less disruptive of the market as a whole, and much smarter financially.

Out of the ones I mentioned, Kadokawa makes sense due to Sony's overall strategy with Anime, Film and Gaming.
Remedy are also close to PlayStation now and nearby Housemarque and could support eachother.

Arc makes sense and is in a particular niche. Can again use anime IP very well.

They could buy 51% of Kadokawa to take control, no need to buy 100% outright.

Orpheum

They'll focus on VR titles for sure. Thats why they announce it now since PSVR won't be at tomorrows showcase. Wouldn't make much sense otherwise. Nice pickup though

Out of the ones I mentioned, Kadokawa makes sense due to Sony's overall strategy with Anime, Film and Gaming.
Remedy are also close to PlayStation now and nearby Housemarque and could support eachother.

Arc makes sense and is in a particular niche. Can again use anime IP very well.

They could buy 51% of Kadokawa to take control, no need to buy 100% outright.

Kadokawa is something that Sony Corp might be interested in, not Sony Computer, though I do not see why they'd pursue it. As for Remedy, and despite the rumours that were circulating, there has been no "rapprochement" between them and Sony. They have not released a single PS Studios funded game as of yet, and the genre they are good at is well represented by other PS teams already. In any case, we shall see.

CamHostage

I always find this take too funny, MS has had a great relationship with Bethesda etc

People who say it was Random are out of their heads.

...What manufacturer DOESN'T have a great relationship with publishers who include their platform in their distribution of products?

Yes, back in 2005, Bethesda designers had fruitful conversations in how to beef up 360 so it could run TES Oblivion, but Zenimax the corporation is more than Bethesda Game Studios (and BTW, BethSoft has had "great relationships" in the decade+ since 360 with the other platform manufacturers, even Nintendo.) I've not heard of anybody complaining about their business relationship with Zenimax... except for Human Head and John Carmack.

But whatever with Bethesda. There's no comparison, and not much reason to compare, because the intentions are different.

Last edited:
So natural..

Soooo... organic...

3ec26c6df84093a1eb856eb293a450b8.gif
You cleary did not read the interview on Gamebizz, you just parroting other people who just dont know what the heck they are talking about...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Gradually growing your portfolio of studios, through acquisition of companies that you have worked with for years, that have delivered for you and know well as part of a strategy that you have used for decades is organic growth.

Going on a spending spree and tripling the number of studios you have in a 3 or 4 year period, to fill a massive gap, is the definition of inorganic. Not saying it’s bad, it was long overdue.

Acquiring Undead Labs or Playground is organic, this is like the Insomniac, Housemarque, even Firesprite deals.

Acquiring Zenimax, no matter how chummy they were, was not. The equivalent would be Sony buying Square Enix.
Agreed. Though tbh, It really doesnt matter if its organic or GMO lol. Bottomline is that both are investing in their first party portfolio.

My only issue with buying big publishers like Zenimax over smaller studios like Housemarquee or Ninja Theory is that these mega publishers didnt need to be acquired. They werent hurting. Xbox wouldve gotten those games anyway. Starfield, ES6, Doom were all announced for the PS5 and the XSX. It's like Sony buying Ubisoft and trying to pawn it off as a huge get for the PS nation when everyone is like wait a second, havent we already been getting Ubisoft games this whole time? At least with independent studios, MS can give them a bigger budget and really nurture them into becoming the next big thing like Sony did with Sucker Punch and GG.

Its clear that smaller studios like Firesprite cant do AAA development on their own and need Sonys help a la Ninja Theory. Zenimax, Ubisoft and Square Enix? Eh. Was $100 million for Tomb Raider worth it? Was whatever Sony paid for FF7 worth it? Doubt it.

yurinka

I thought Playroom was all Sony Japan since that was our first introduction to Astrobot.
Astro's Playroom (PS5) was made by the Team Asobi of Japan Studio.

The Playroom (PS4 camera minigames/tech demo collection) and The Playroom VR (same for PSVR) is where both Firesprite and Japan Studio/Team Asobi did work together. Firesprite did some other experimental small project not very well known for Sony: Run, Sackboy Run! It was a F2P autorunner LBP game for mobile and Vita.

They also did Air Force Special Ops: Nightfall (PSVR parachuting game) and their most recent, biggest game: The Persistence VR (a VR AAA survival horror game in the space, which a couple of years later got a multiplatform non-VR version).

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I know Microsoft gets a lot of criticisim for mismanaging studios but surely this counts as Sony doing the same? Studio liverpool was a good studio and got shut down, the talent there went on to create a nee studio only for Sony to buy them back.

I knew a lot of people in studio liverpool , hope this goes amazing for them

I know Microsoft gets a lot of criticisim for mismanaging studios but surely this counts as Sony doing the same? Studio liverpool was a good studio and got shut down, the talent there went on to create a nee studio only for Sony to buy them back.

I don't think you can brush it off as just mismanagment

It wasn't a well performing studio, alongside the fact that this was during the time Sony was struggling and having to restructure.

Not that they don't also mismanage studios. Studio Manchester was mismanagment 101

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Sony doesn’t get a free pass. Many, myself included are not happy with how they treated Evolution Studios.

Last edited:

Organic growth does not include M&A at all:

What MS and Sony are both doing when acquiring new companies is inorganic growth, which is to say M&A. It doesn't matter if you are acquiring a 1 man team or Activision. Both are acquisition targets and inorganic growth. We should just look at the value that each acquisition is bringing, if any.

Sony should have invested more into SE when they had ~9% equity on the JV instead of divesting, but that's neither here nor there.

Last edited:
Sony doesn’t get a free pass. Many, myself included are not happy with how they treated Evolution Studios.
DriveClub was a big mess even with the multiple delays and it's not like Onrush was another big failure maybe with this new management things will have been different but it's not really surprising they got closed.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

DriveClub was a big mess even with the multiple delays and it's not like Onrush was not another big failure maybe with this new management things will have been different but it's not really surprising they got closed.
They were releasing games constantly which should count for something when most studios took years just to get one out.
They released 5 games during the PS3 gen.

CamHostage

They were releasing games constantly which should count for something when most studios took years just to get one out.
They released 5 games during the PS3 gen.
Evolution also took BigBig Studio with them (BigBig went down earlier, but I think both were facing the same chopping block in their last products, and the axe dropped for both.) BigBig did good work on PSP (Motorstorm Artic Edge is my fave of the franchise despite being an offshoot) and I wish were still around somehow for the current PlayStation market, even if their projects weren't gigantic.

That said, the financials of the time were probably complicated, and neither Evolution nor BigBig had the next thing lined up when their project didn't work out.

(Cambridge was also a workhorse that got trimmed near then. Those types of lesser-but-prolific studios were still important for the PlayStation ecosystem and I hope Firesprite and other recent acquisitions fit that rapid-development middleground rather than being focused on AAA and being out on a rope with nothing to show for the next 3-5 years.)

Last edited:

MScarpa

May I introduce you to the concept of value and business strategy. Today’s cost has little to do with the impact a deal like this can have.
You must be excited about your stock portfolio. How many shares do you own of SONY on the NYSE?

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
I see it as a competitor but I don't know if it is a proper competitor to GamePass until Sony commits a release schedule for first party games to that service.

Didn't get any numbers in terms of the cost, did we?

It is in the Rare size of acquisition and 2x Ninja Theory in terms of employees

A streaming service shouldn’t be dictated only by what new content it has. It’s the overall library that matters. Which PSnow has more of. Sony already explained why there will be no first party games launching new on PSnow.

I could just as well argue gamepass doesn’t have enough back catalogue games as PSnow has and therefore, to me, PSnow is more valuable. See how that works?

I prefer a streaming service, movies or games, to have more content from past decades rather than new.

Gamepass is nothing more than a marketing perception.

On Demand

Banned
May I introduce you to the concept of value and business strategy. Today’s cost has little to do with the impact a deal like this can have.

Leave them. People like that have been fooled by sheer numbers of studios and cost and don’t care about long term quality output and consistency.

Neither of which the competition has proven they can handle.

Sony first party is well established in that regard. Adding more studios just further make them better at it.

pratyush

Leave them. People like that have been fooled by sheer numbers of studios and cost and don’t care about long term quality output and consistency.

Neither of which the competition has proven they can handle.

Sony first party is well established in that regard. Adding more studios just further make them better at it.
To be honest it's not fair to expect fanboys to understand this. If they could comprehend this then they wouldn't be fanboy.

The link does not contradict what I mentioned at all. From your link:

" At last night's investor meeting, Jim Ryan stated that PlayStation is planning on investing in its line-up of first-party studios "through organic growth and acquisitions" as the PlayStation 5 inches closer to release."

Meaning to organically grow their first party (i.e. SP, ND, etc) and acquire other studios to further grow. Not sure what the confusion is here.

Exanthus

Banned
Wow big moves from Sony..... Xbox better lookout.

That Zenimax acquisition looks small potatoes now, eh?

Cannot wait for the mobile and GAAS future of PlayStation /S

(Hermen and Jim are the biggest fucking idiots I've ever seen run a company)

I enjoyed this. Quite the chuckle at the end.

White-fire

You must be excited about your stock portfolio. How many shares do you own of SONY on the NYSE?

Their shares go up when their profits increase, which usually means more people are buying their products, or providing better value at a lower cost, which means consumer engagement is most likely higher (which means we are being satisfied).

But by “value” in sense I was talking about, was being very successful to Sony by making banger games. Which, you rightly attribute to a likely higher stock price, but was besides my point.

SLB1904

Banned
The link does not contradict what I mentioned at all. From your link:

" At last night's investor meeting, Jim Ryan stated that PlayStation is planning on investing in its line-up of first-party studios "through organic growth and acquisitions" as the PlayStation 5 inches closer to release."

Meaning to organically grow their first party (i.e. SP, ND, etc) and acquire other studios to further grow. Not sure what the confusion is here.
"Nah I'm convinced some of you can't read. Unless we are talking about the same thing"-ignore this. It wasn't for you

Edit: botton line organic growth its obviously increase the size of theirs studios.

Ignore the first part. I don't think was you making snark comments about organic growth and ignoring the acquisition part

Last edited:
Nah I'm convinced some of you can't read.
Meaning you can't even understand that your own link strengthens what I said. Another excerpt from it:

"Rather than purchasing active developers, Sony has traditionally opened studios in the past - growing its first party library organically. This news indicates that this will continue, while sprinkling in a couple of purchases along the way."

Yep. You have a reading comprehension problem.

Top Bottom