• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation acquires Firesprite

Bartski

Gold Member
GYaMRuG.jpg

Firesprite is an Independent game developer founded in 2012. Co-creators of #WipEout, #PlayroomVR. #StarCitizen development partner.

After a number of years closely collaborating on several games together, including The Playroom (PS4) and The Playroom VR (PS VR), I couldn’t be more delighted to welcome Firesprite to the PlayStation Studios family as our 14th studio! Quite a few members of Firesprite come from SIE’s Studio Liverpool and we’re thrilled to welcome them back.
Firesprite is a creative and ambitious studio that is exceptional at building incredible experiences that truly showcase the potential of our hardware. The team’s technical and creative capabilities will be paramount to growing our stellar catalogue of exclusive games, and I think you’ll be excited for what’s to come.

"It's all about the quality and the uniqueness of the gaming experiences. The fact that they're surprising... yes, maybe to the outside world, but maybe not to the people that have been working in it, that have seen Firesprite grow, and seen them add talent, and being able to attract the best talent in the industry, which speaks to a really strong and very inclusive and very welcoming culture."

Last edited:

Defrop

Banned
GYaMRuG.jpg

Firesprite is an Independent game developer founded in 2012. Co-creators of #WipEout, #PlayroomVR. #StarCitizen development partner.

Despite the decades-long legacy and friendship, Hulst was keen to remind us that Firesprite is still a relatively young studio. And that part of the excitement around the acquisition is the ability to nurture this team into becoming one of PlayStation's major studios, sitting side-by-side with the likes of Naughty Dog, Santa Monica and Guerrilla Games.

yurinka

Great news! Now put these guys to make a new Wipeout, please! Some of these guys did work on Wipeout before!

Give me a PSVR2 friendly (but playable on tv too) Wipeout Alpha Collection, remaking the first Wipeout games into a single game that would merge all their (remade) ships, tracks, and campaigns with remade extra Pure and Pulse tracks that weren't included back in Omega Collection.

And a Wipeout Omega Collection remaster to make it compatible with PSVR2 and supporting the PS5 features and controls (haptic feedback, 3D audio, adaptative triggers, new PSVR2 controllers, etc).

Lucid games I would predict
Please don't. Give it to talented people instead. Now they have original Wipeout devs back with Firesprite, they're the best candidates. And if not give it to R8 Games, another studio with ex-wipeout people, and the ones who make the best Wipeout spiritual successor (Pacer).

Sony, Sony closes Studio Liverpool.
The Studio Liverpool people found Firesprite.
Sony buys Firesprite.

Mmmh...
There was a different Sony leadership back then, Hermen didn't close Liverpool. And even if there are former Studio Liverpool members, Firesprite doesn't include a lot of people who was there and I assume it has a lot of new people. So have points in common, but they are very different stuff.

Last edited:
I can't say I was ever into Wipeout, or anything they've put out since. But they always had nice graphics. Also not convinced on the VR offerings so far, so I haven't tried those.

This doesn't really effect me much, but hopefully they put out something cool.

Bryank75

Banned
Wow big moves from Sony..... Xbox better lookout.

That Zenimax acquisition looks small potatoes now, eh?

Cannot wait for the mobile and GAAS future of PlayStation /S

(Hermen and Jim are the biggest fucking idiots I've ever seen run a company)

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Wow big moves from Sony..... Xbox better lookout.

That Zenimax acquisition looks small potatoes now, eh?

Cannot wait for the mobile and GAAS future of PlayStation /S

(Hermen and Jim are the biggest fucking idiots I've ever seen run a company)
I'm glad I quoted your post, because I thought this was a pretty bad take until I did.

KAL2006

Banned
Firesprite
Firewalk
Haven
Naughty Dog Multiplayer Team
Guerilla Games Team 2
Deviation
Polyphony

That's a ton of multiplayer studios playing games. I don't mind multiplayer if it's like Wipeout, Gran Turismo of even a fighting games. But out of the above atleast 4 are shooters which I'm not a fan of personally.

Top Bottom