• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation acquires Haven, the new studio led by Jade Raymond

FukuDaruma

What a silly comparison when you consider the fact that she's been far more successful with big name job titles over the years.

She isn't "just" a game producer, she has risen to levels of being an executive and a VP and worked for EA, Ubi Soft, and Google, started her own studio, and now works for Sony. That will get you some results.

And apart from the cookie cutter annualized bugfest disasters mtx bullshit and scams at UBI she doesn't have any games to show for it. Just the nice "titles", the checks and the wonderful media coverage with great studio pics. Terrible job at EA and Stadia, very "succesful".

Look up Phil Harrison and tell me how many results you get or Shuhei Yoshida.

So not only Miyamoto, now we are comparing Raymond to Harrison (which, btw, was a real game designer and graphic artist before being responsible for setting the global product strategy and managing development operations of 13 studios in Japan, UK, the Netherlands, and the USA) and Shu too, who only has a career since the original Playstation, headed Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.'s third party licensing program, was Senior Vice President at SCE Worldwide Studios USA and became the President of SCE Worldwide Studios... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Well, guess what. With her ridiculous relevance in comparision, Raymond has almost the same results as Yoshida, which is almost 10 times more than Désilets. I wonder why that is...

ZnmH75Q.png

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

Not a massive fan of this announcement - when we know what the industry is becoming. This announcement, made a few years ago, I would have confidence in. But PS best acquisition so far is Bungie. Not close to comparison to either Bethesda or Activision, obviously. This isn't what I was hoping for next. Personally, I would prefer not to chase the acquisition train - but if you are going to play the game, there needs to be a splash. FROM, Kojima, T2, all have long relationships with PS. Would like to see a move to one of those. Square makes sense if we are going full acquisition mode to the big 3.

This just... meh. IMO, BluePoint was the best acquisition Sony has made recently.

Hoping for the best here. I am not rooting against Haven by any means. Just feels... a bit short compared to recent moves by your largest competitor.

Sega Orphan

Banned
So am I right in assuming their new IP is going to be a full priced multiplayer game and not a free to play?
The issue with multiplayer games is you need as many people playing it straight away. If things are slow people leave it and move on. Also just keeping it on PS5 only really will kill the game.
It is going to have to be pretty special to get people jumping off Fortnite and Warzone etc and on to it.
They really need to have it release on PC at the same time as PS, just to get the numbers up on it.
I would expect that if it has a campaign then that would cost money, but the multiplayer part would be FTP.
It's going to be interesting to see how it turns out.
And is Haven even big enough to do a full campaign and multiplayer game and release it this side of the decade?

Last edited:

yurinka

So we are really doing this... comparing Shigeru Miyamoto's creative talent and career to Jade Raymond's... :messenger_tears_of_joy:🤦‍♂️:messenger_ok:

3rVdlyt.png
TGElzpp.png

q166Gst.png

I didn't compare their creative talent because producer doesn't need to have creattive talent. The role of a producer isn't related with the creative side of the project. It's to manage the development team, their budget, make sure they achieve their milestone, solve issues, blockers or conflicts that the team may have, etc. To make them productive.

I know you cut Miyamot's games where he's credited in production roles, which are the majority of them, but regarding Jade's career, -I obviously don't compare her to Miyamoto, they are very different roles and Miyamoto is more important- over half of her games aren't on that list.

She started as programmer and when promoted to head of studio wasn't credited on many games developed there while she was the boss, specially the ones released after the left even if he had in important role on their early stages and were developed in a big part while she was there. In this case she was very successful with Ubisoft Toronto creating a studio that grew very fast with a very talented and productive team who did work in up to 5 games at the same time and delivered many super successful games.

In this later role is one of the keys of why EA, Google and Sony hired her. She created at EA again another team quickly full of very talented people that was pretty productive even if EA messed up some things. At Google she started to build teams with very talented staff and when Google shot it down she brought part of it wih her and Sony got it.

And well, when she was promoted from producer to executive producer after AC her role was specifically executive producer responsible for new IPs, being some of them the very successful Watchdogs or The Division. She often got uncredited because she only was in the early stages of the IP creations.

I'm also sure Miyamoto had so much media coverage because he is a great "producer" like Raymond, and not because he is the DESIGNER and DIRECTOR of Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, ...
As you can see there the last time Miyamoto directed a game was in the Nintendo 64 and the last time he designed was a NES game. He mostly worked as producer or supervisor since then, in addition to be an appealing PR face.

So am I right in assuming their new IP is going to be a full priced multiplayer game and not a free to play?
The issue with multiplayer games is you need as many people playing it straight away. If things are slow people leave it and move on. Also just keeping it on PS5 only really will kill the game.
It is going to have to be pretty special to get people jumping off Fortnite and Warzone etc and on to it.
They really need to have it release on PC at the same time as PS, just to get the numbers up on it.
I would expect that if it has a campaign then that would cost money, but the multiplayer part would be FTP.
And is Haven even big enough to do a full campaign and multiplayer game and release it this side of the decade?
I have the feeling that her upcoming game has more to do with Animal Crossing, The Sims and PS Home than with CoD or Fortnite: a totally different market than shootters. More like a chill social game experience than a competitive shooter. For MP shooters they'll already have Bungie, Deviation, Firewalk and seems that the next Guerrilla game to be announced. Plus the 3rd party ones.

I think they mentioned in the past that their idea was to release it on PC too, not sure if at launch too but I'd bet yes.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Given the effort and results Sony have put into their single player offerings over the last two generations, I'm excited to see what they can being to the online space. Deep innovation that arena is sorely lacking. EA and Ubisoft have made a meme out of GaaS, it'll be nice to see Sony's first parties show folks how to do it.

With the said, buying an entire development studio before the game's properly announced isn't super common. I'm thinking one of two things happened:
  1. The game was mind-blowingly, generation-defining good, and, given Sony's already sizeable investment, they deemed it appropriate to lock up the talent and go all in.
  2. Development is a dumpster fire, and the studio needed cash badly because they blew through it all with little to show. Rather than throw away their investment, Sony took ownership of the company. (Basically, what happened with John Romero, ION Storm, and Daikatana, all those years ago.)
I'm hoping it's the first.

FukuDaruma

They are facts, not opinions.
For starters the tone, dude. At least the "game about monkeys" was something original, and not another cash grab cookie cutter clone bullshit.

Regarding Raymond at EA and Stadia, how and what do you know? a "believe me, I know" sure is not gonna cut it, pal.

The first thing I said is that games are created and made by a team (which includes both managers and workers), not by a single person.

Sure, and that's why presenting Raymond as "Assasins Creed creator" is total bullshit. At least we agree on that. I think we can agree that a producers role is relevant in if a game gets properly made, but is the director's and the creative team part that certainly defines what the game is, and in the end how groundbreaking and historically relevant ends up being. Regarding the managing roles like Raymond's, even if she managed for the games to get made in her part, we could talk about the disastrous Assasins Creed releases, which are certainly not any testament of historical milestones and huge successes, unless you care only about money and not the state in which the games were released...

I didn't mention his issues because my post was already too long, isn't related to the topic and because I don't want to trash him even if I can. Everybody who worked with both will tell you both are very talented each one in their area. Regarding her, most people will also tell you she is a great leader and that it's great to work for her. Regarding him, some ended in the court.
I don't know him. Maybe he's an asshole and she's a wonderful person. That may very well be true, but UBI going on fucking him is very relevant to the "he only made a monkey game" argument.

Ubisoft have dozens of millions of fans who love their games and buy them again and again.

Guess what, not everybody has the same tastes than you and your personal taste (or mine) doesn't define if a game is good or not. Each person has is different tastes and opinions. The players who are the target of each game decide if they like the game or not, and keep buying it if they like it.
This really isn't anything relevant to the question of Raymond getting that huge media coverage and getting credited as "creator" for being a producer.
And UBI games selling a lot doesn't mean they are not shit. There's plenty of shit that sells even more than UBI games. UBI games are shit for being, again, unoriginal cookie cutter bugfests, microtransactions grindfest bullshit.

She publicly complained about idiots like the ones of this thread, from the gamers/journalists side downplaying her work because she is hot. There are articles about it even before the whole woke bullshit started. I don' t remember to see her complaining about coworkers or bosses, but I assume that being hot she must have had to handle at least with some thirsty wankers.
You don't see that many articles about any other game producer from any other company. At all. Ever. Maybe some downplayed her work because she is hot, but she certainly has been profiting a lot from it if only from that huge media coverage for *anything* she does that nobody else gets.

There are many creative directors who worked in way more super successful AAA games and new IPs than Desilets. But not many producers who worked in more super successful AAA games and new IPs than Jade. Maybe Miyamoto and a handful more.
Every single one of those "way more super succesful AAA games and new IPs"... had a Producer also. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The difference is we don't usually know anything about them because they certainly don't get the media attention that Raymond gets.

But well, most people never know who the producers or creative directors of a game are, since in most cases they aren't PR spokepersons, or they are but press don't mention their names.
Exactly. Wonder why that is...

In any case, I assume she got more google entries first because having worked in more super hits and having created more news for stuff like getting hired by top companies in top positions etc generates more news. But also being a hot female causes many extra entries from horny wankers and from idiots who refuse to understand that a hot female can do a good job and be very talented, which is her case.

Now we are getting somewhere. Of course I'm not denying her talent, what I've seen saying all this time is that she has been enjoying a disproportionate amount of attention from the media for the merit she really has and the end result in the form of the games released she has been a part of, and the real role she has played in them. It may not be her fault, but she certainly has been profiting a lot from that.

TLDR; Im fucking sick of reading "Jade Raymond this Jade Raymond that" through the years, while the games I can associate with her are mostly shit she *produced*, doesn't have creative merit on them and were release disasters, which is certainly more related to her Producer role.

Hope they release an amazing game for once, so at least there will be a justified reason to have all that media coverage.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I have the feeling that her upcoming game has more to do with Animal Crossing, The Sims and PS Home than with CoD or Fortnite: a totally different market than shootters. More like a chill social game experience than a competitive shooter. For MP shooters they'll already have Bungie, Deviation, Firewalk and seems that the next Guerrilla game to be announced. Plus the 3rd party ones.
Agreed.
Listening to the last part of this interview, it's clear it is heavily based on social elements and personal expression:

(Timestamped)

FukuDaruma

I know you cut Miyamot's games where he's credited in production roles, which are the majority of them,
Of course... because it's far easier being a Producer than being a Director and a Designer, a creative. That's why he can produce a lot of titles even nowadays despite being a lot older.

As you can see there the last time Miyamoto directed a game was in the Nintendo 64 and the last time he designed was a NES game. He mostly worked as producer or supervisor since then, in addition to be an appealing PR face.

The last time Miyamoto directed a game he shook the whole industry worldwide and set the foundation of modern gaming proper use of 3D. There goes nothing.
Before that, he only had been consistently creating, designing and directing some of the very most succesful and loved videogame characters and games of ALL TIME, since the very origins of the videogame industry.
And yet here we are, ridiculously comparing all this to Raymond's career, who doesn't even have any creative merits to be called a "creator" but gets labeled as one, and got 50 times more media coverage than any other game Producer or most Designers and Directors ever for the short list of game titles she has been a part of as a Producer.

Last edited:
Has this happened before? A first party buying a dev before their first game is even public?
It's basically a faster, easier and safer way to create a new studio. Jade took care of getting the talent with her connections, hiring people, etc...Sony didn't do the hard work at first. Now they will use the money they got to finance the Haven project in the country that's starting to be the most prominent in the west for videogame development: Canada. Strategically speaking, what Sony did was amazing.

The fact they just got a studio with lots of old Ubisoft talent tired of that publisher, with the freedom to create something they want, must be amazing for the team. There's also people that used to work for Insomniac, and other Sony studios in there as well. If all this wasn't enough, they will now be in close contact with all PS studios, talent, tools, engines and studios to do whatever they want to accomplish. I'm sure a team of veterans like that is pleased.

It's also a cheap acquisition. A new studio, with 0 IPs, games released? I cant imagine an acquisition this size being a lot more than 100M honestly...specially when you're already financing their only project so far.

Last edited:
Agreed.
Listening to the last part of this interview, it's clear it is heavily based on social elements and personal expression:

(Timestamped)

why she always have that weird creepy smile in everyone of her picture lol the smile looks so fake and forced

Last edited:

yurinka

Who is the creative director at this studio?
Looking at LinkedIn this seems to be their core team (in addition to Jade):
  • Word/IP Director: Corey May (narrative director in Wavetale, Oastcoasters, Doom 2016, AC Syndicate. Script consultant/writer/story by/ in all AC until Syndicate, Far Cry 4, Watchdogs, Batman: Arkham Origins, Far Cry 4, Army of Two, Prince of Persia Warrior Within, Prince of Persia Two Thrones)
  • Game Director: Daniel Drapeau (Splinter Cell: Blacklist designer, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege team lead designer, Shadow of the Tomb Raider gameplay director...)
  • Creative Director: Mathieu Leduc (art director in AC 1 & 2, Deus EX 3, Watchdogs 1 & 2, unannounced EA game...)
  • Art Director: Raphael Lacoste (senior art director for AC Valhalla and unannounced Ubi game, AC Franchise art director, art director in AC Origins, Revelations, Black Flag)
  • Head of Production: Pierre-Francois Sapinski (producttion director & lead programmer in Rainbow Six Siege, AI programmer in AC1, 2, Brotherhood, 3, PoP, PoP Warrior Within, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory)
  • Executive Producer: Paola Jouyaux (coproducer in Motive unannounced new IP, Star Wars Battlefront 2 (SP campaign), FarCry 3, FarCry 3 Blood Dragon, FarCry Primal, FarCry 4, Child of Light, Watchdogs)

Maybe have more people in these roles but not listed in linkedIn, or maybe they have more but this is what I found.

Topher

Gold Member

There is no reason to assume anything. Not what the pricing is. Not what platforms it will be on. Nothing.

Now Assassin's Creed and Watchdogs are viewed as amazing games.

You all have shares of SCE ?

Who said AC and Watch Dogs were "amazing games"? Personally I like both franchises but I wouldn't call them "amazing". But some might feel that way and that is fine. Either way, who are you referring to?

Last edited:

20cent

Banned
There is no reason to assume anything. Not what the pricing is. Not what platforms it will be on. Nothing.

Who said AC and Watch Dogs were "amazing games"?

Just read the 5 first pages of the topic, all questioned reasons for praising her and the newly acquired studio by Sony, besides her "being hot", were "she was the lead director of early AC and WC games".

(I enjoyed most AC games and still do, but I wasn't feeling being part of the majority before someone related to the franchise joined the PS "family")

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Just read the 5 first pages of the topic, all questioned reasons for praising her and the newly acquired studio by Sony, besides her "being hot", were "she was the lead director of early AC and WC games".

Which are very successful franchises. Again, who said those were "amazing games".

EDMIX

. Deep innovation that arena is sorely lacking. EA and Ubisoft have made a meme out of GaaS, it'll be nice to see Sony's first parties show folks how to do it.

I don't know if I'd say all that. You guys know me to be more of a Sony fan too, but they have their fare share of flops in GAAS, of course same with EA or Ubisoft, but all 3 publishers are trying in that area and you are bound to get flops here and there. So EA did flop with Anthem, did amazing with APEX. Ubisoft flopped with Hyper Scape , yet did wonders with The Division moving something wild like 20 million units, years and years of Rainbow Six support.

So.....trust me on this one, Sony can't just show Ubisoft or EA how its done in this area, those 2 also have many massive IP in that genre that have done record numbers.

So in order for them to "show folks how to do it" they first need to even fucking out do those publishers in that area in the first place, it just comes off as overzealous and ignoring reality to bash a publisher. Its Sony in this situation that would need to see what those other publishers did to find success in that genre. Not the otherway around.

Given the effort and results Sony have put into their single player offerings over the last two generations, I'm excited to see what they can being to the online space. Deep innovation that arena is sorely lacking. EA and Ubisoft have made a meme out of GaaS, it'll be nice to see Sony's first parties show folks how to do it.

With the said, buying an entire development studio before the game's properly announced isn't super common. I'm thinking one of two things happened:
  1. The game was mind-blowingly, generation-defining good, and, given Sony's already sizeable investment, they deemed it appropriate to lock up the talent and go all in.
  2. Development is a dumpster fire, and the studio needed cash badly because they blew through it all with little to show. Rather than throw away their investment, Sony took ownership of the company. (Basically, what happened with John Romero, ION Storm, and Daikatana, all those years ago.)
I'm hoping it's the first.

I’m guessing it could be a combination of the two, I wouldn’t call it a dumpster fire….more like they may not have enough resources to create their game without significant upfront investment.

Who really knows though, the situation is somewhat odd, maybe Sony decided they needed a gaming studio presence in Montreal and it made strategic sense

Topher

Gold Member
I thought people cared about quality. If only success is a good thing, then everything is good news. Hence my question about having Sony Computer shares.

So you think having launched successful franchises isn't something worthy of mention when talking about an individual who is leading a new studio? That's an odd take.

And you are still not answering the question.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
  • Word/IP Director: Corey May (narrative director in Wavetale, Oastcoasters, Doom 2016, AC Syndicate. Script consultant/writer/story by/ in all AC until Syndicate, Far Cry 4, Watchdogs, Batman: Arkham Origins, Far Cry 4, Army of Two, Prince of Persia Warrior Within, Prince of Persia Two Thrones)
  • Game Director: Daniel Drapeau (Splinter Cell: Blacklist designer, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege team lead designer, Shadow of the Tomb Raider gameplay director...)
  • Creative Director: Mathieu Leduc (art director in AC 1 & 2, Deus EX 3, Watchdogs 1 & 2, unannounced EA game...)
  • Art Director: Raphael Lacoste (senior art director for AC Valhalla and unannounced Ubi game, AC Franchise art director, art director in AC Origins, Revelations, Black Flag)
  • Head of Production: Pierre-Francois Sapinski (producttion director & lead programmer in Rainbow Six Siege, AI programmer in AC1, 2, Brotherhood, 3, PoP, PoP Warrior Within, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory)
  • Executive Producer: Paola Jouyaux (coproducer in Motive unannounced new IP, Star Wars Battlefront 2 (SP campaign), FarCry 3, FarCry 3 Blood Dragon, FarCry Primal, FarCry 4, Child of Light, Watchdogs)

Maybe have more people in these roles but not listed in linkedIn, or maybe they have more but this is what I found.
That is a pretty good team!

ethomaz

Banned
I thought people cared about quality. If only success is a good thing, then everything is good news. Hence my question about having Sony Computer shares.
Man… since when AC and Watch Dog games were bad?

AC2 was rated 91 on Metacritic… I don’t like the franchise but there is no way to deny the quality of its games.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Everybody goes on about how hot she is but that picture is definitely past expiration date
Only reason why she gets attention is due to being decent looking woman. You rarely see that in gaming as it's almost all men doing the promoting. When all dolled up in her earlier pics, she looks good. Have her less dolled up showing that Joker smile and she's not has hot as her professional photographed pics.

If Raymond was a fat pig, nobody would care about her. She's just be another gaming exec. Just like all the other high level employees that worked with her at UBI, how often do you hear about them? Hardly ever as they are just another group of dudes in gaming.

ethomaz

Banned
Only reason why she gets attention is due to being decent looking woman. You rarely see that in gaming as it's almost all men doing the promoting. When all dolled up in her earlier pics, she looks good. Have her less dolled up showing that Joker smile and she's not has hot as her professional photographed pics.

If Raymond was a fat pig, nobody would care about her. She's just be another gaming exec. Just like all the other high level employees that worked with her at UBI, how often do you hear about them? Hardly ever as they are just another group of dudes in gaming.
DAT mentality lol

Topher

Gold Member

Kill Me Smh GIF

Sega Orphan

Banned
That's in the eye of the beholder. I think there is plenty of reason to speculate on what a companies game may or may not be, and if a console company will or won't keep a game exclusive.
I'm sure if I check there will be posts from you about if COD is going to stay on PS, or if COD will go to bi annual, or if Sony is going to keep buying studios, or one of many hundreds of things.
Speculation is what half the posts on GAF is about.
How about speculating what review score a game is going to get, ever done one of those?
It's not a big deal.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
That's in the eye of the beholder. I think there is plenty of reason to speculate on what a companies game may or may not be, and if a console company will or won't keep a game exclusive.
I'm sure if I check there will be posts from you about if COD is going to stay on PS, or if COD will go to bi annual, or if Sony is going to keep buying studios, or one of many hundreds of things.
Speculation is what half the posts on GAF is about.
How about speculating what review score a game is going to get, ever done one of those?
It's not a big deal.

Speculation is fine. I was talking about making assumptions.

laynelane

5ty6pgy.gif

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Is that we also hear so much about guys like Cory Barlog, Neil Druckmann, Hideo Kojima, Hermen Hulst, Phil Spencer, Tim Schafer, Miyazaki, and Yoshida? Because they're all hot?

Leyasu

Banned
The hyperbole works both ways. We've got one guy saying Raymond has never launched a game.
Lol you’re right and I didn’t edit my post quick enough.

My post was another bad post/take in a thread full of them. But damn you were quick!!

Last edited:

It’s an experienced team. My worry is that they haven’t made a great game so far.

Is that we also hear so much about guys like Cory Barlog, Neil Druckmann, Hideo Kojima, Hermen Hulst, Phil Spencer, Tim Schafer, Miyazaki, and Yoshida? Because they're all hot?
Not all of those names are the same. Some of these names are from creative directors who are responsible for gaming a game good. Others are just studio heads who manage budget and timelines.

Cyborg

What an insane person.....

On topic: Dismissing what she has done/achieved is pure bias from some. It's just impressive and I hope her studio will bring us a new game/icon that we will enjoy years to come.

no no no GIF by ScooterMagruder

Same ol G

True, you can also see the way this topic goes that people are more interested in her looks insteas of her accomplishments.
Also lol at that Joker comment i didn't see it but now i can't unsee it, thanks for the nightmares.

reksveks

Dismissing what she has done/achieved is pure bias from some.
You think the cause of the bias is her gender or cause she is joining Sony.

I think it's both personally, find one silly and one disturbing.

I think it's probably a good pick up from Sony, cheap way to get talent and to get your foot in the door. In the last 2 months, the Microsoft and Sony studios have hired net ~120 people (Mojang and ND massively over representing for both companies). Not including ABK and Bungie yet.

Top Bottom