• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation buys Firewalk Studios

Sanepar

PlayStation Studios family!

jzensmtt38f81.png

e9c24073dc63f0570e2c1281eb634253f08c532b.jpg

anigif_sub-buzz-11005-1625614841-5.gif
5 there are support studios. With only 16 studios making games they need at least to double that count.

Eotheod

Building studios from the ground up with their expertise and foundations in place.

That's how you do it.
But...they aren't from the ground up? They existed before the acquisition and just happened to sign with PlayStation to develop their GAAS because of higher market share. There is no organic creation here, the only organic creation is an actual PlayStation studio being developed literally from existing/new employees.

I love the sheer push on GAAS titles, which are most likely going to fizzle after release because the market just can not deal with more than maybe three at a time. Add in the fact these development studios are staring titles two to three years ago and by release are going to be outdated mechanic and technology-wise, it just seems pointless to push such large amounts of the genre.

Last edited:

Unknown?

That's great and all but can we please see some fucking games already? 2 years in and Jimbro still thinks it's a good idea to skip the PlayStation Showcase from last year and continue to show nothing at all to this day. God I fucking hate modern day Sony marketing team/higher ups. The new crew is absolutely shit.

Andrew House and Shawn Layden was where Sony was best, now they're all playing this mouse and cat bullshit game by not doing any big shows and doing these State of Plays that focus on single titles or a bunch of indies no one cares for.

Yes, I'll admit I am very upset. PS5 is a great machine, but this marketing has been a shit show. The PS4 marketing was so much more exciting snd interesting, every year there was something interesting that got announced. Wolverine sounds great and all and I want it don't get me wrong, but that's not enough for announcements.

I don't care for Spiderman 2 simply because I just don't like the superhero. I am sure the game will be great regardless though.

They bought all these studios and are supposedly working on these GaaS titles. Where is the Twisted Metal? Where is the new game from Bungie? Where is TLOU Factions? Where is the game from San Diego? Where is the game from Sony Bend? It's been 2+ years since Bluepoint's last release (Demons Souls), where is their next title? Hello???? Knock knock motherfucker, announce PS Showcase already, please for fucks sake man. 🙏

Sorry, I had to get this off my chest. I love my PS5 but I just wanna see some more god damn games dude. So much potential and they've been quiet for way to long and it's starting to get old.

I am gonna assume they're staying quiet because of the Activision Blizzard acquisition bullshit and don't want to show their guns until that whole fiasco is done and over with. But that's just a personal assumption. For all I fucking know maybe the games are just not ready, I don't know :/
Andrew House and Shawn Layden? Andrew House played it as safe as could be. He didn't acquire any studios and in fact killed studios. Shawn Layden wanted bigger games but less of them.

PS4's marketing is why we're at where we are today. People didn't want to see games that were three years out or even two years away. So Sony listened. Games take a long time to make now days it isn't like PS2 where there were yearly sequels.

To delivery more than 3 exclusives on good years and not have years like this one. I would say a good flow will be a game per quarter. They need at least 5 more studios for that.
Clearly something about their strategy is working out lately.

About those "3 games in a good year"
hum...

PlayStation 4​

2020​

2021​

2022​

2023​

PlayStation 5[edit]​

2020[edit]​

2021[edit]​

2022[edit]​

2023[edit]​

Announced for 2023[edit]​

hum...

PlayStation 4​

2020​

2021​

2022​

2023​

PlayStation 5[edit]​

2020[edit]​

2021[edit]​

2022[edit]​

2023[edit]​

They need to stop moneyhatting 3rd party exclusives.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
It's not good for IP growth and health of the industry.

All games need to have wider audiance.
Do you have an example of any IP that didn't grew because Sony paid for exclusivity?

Also, it seems like the industry is doing more than just fine.

Last edited:
Do you have an example of any IP that didn't grew because Sony paid for exclusivity?

Also, it seems like the industry is doing more than just fine.

Final Fantasy.

FF 15 is highest selling game in franchise despite having poor reception. 10 million+ sold

FF 7 remake despite having stellar reception have not reached that mark. Else we would have gotten announcement.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Final Fantasy.

FF 15 is highest selling game in franchise despite having poor reception. 10 million+ sold

FF 7 remake despite having stellar reception have not reached that mark. Else we would have gotten announcement.
To my understanding Square Enix can make versions of FF to other platforms if they want - but they won't cause it's not profitable?

8BiTw0LF

Banned
FF 16 is not coming to PC, a system that has highest install base in Japan. Definitely will be profitable.
This is purely speculation, but from my point of view, Square Enix has tried to be a Playstation studio for the past 5-6 years. They will always focus on Playstation first in this regard.

People don’t see the picture here.This studio has around 150 employees made most of ex Bungie staff.So that is a talented studio this is the most important aspect you need in a studio.And with financial support and freedom given by Sony that means very good things.Why are people always so negative.I mean look at other studios like Sega who has plants of IPs who produces Bad to mediocre stuff with the exception of Yakuza series.I take a studio who is unknown but produces something great than a studio who has lots of famous IPs and produces trash mostly

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Thankfully a huge portion of their GaaS approach is being done via acquisitions and other teams can focus more on SP.

I'm not sure Suicide Squad is the best example of what their games will be like. I think Factions will probably be able to carve out a unique niche in this market if done right that does not have the backlash Suicide Squad does.

But I do think you're right that this is insurance policy for CoD and Fortnite, and I think they have a good shot at landing 1 or 2 big GaaS titles. If the rest fail, then they can simply restructure those studios into the ones that have been successful and double down on them, which is a good strategy. Or they could have those studios go make SP games instead.
I don’t think that’s true. Nd is making factions, gg is making Horizon mp, bends next game is GaaS, Insomniac was hiring mp devs so they also have something in the works. That leaves SSM, bluepoint and housemarque.

12 GaaS games when they have maybe 16 studios means 75% of the studios are working on gaas with some of them simultaneously working on single player games like Spider-Man 2, tlou3, Wolverine and whatever ssm is working on.

FF 16 is not coming to PC, a system that has highest install base in Japan. Definitely will be profitable.

I thought it was.

‘I’ve caused a bit of a stir with my remarks the other day, but I’d like to touch on the PC version,’ Yoshida said in a new PlayStation Blog, per rough Google Translate. ‘First of all, it is true that Final Fantasy 16 is a six-month limited-time exclusive on PS5. However, it is a completely different story that the PC version will be released in half a year.’

https://www.gameshub.com/news/news/final-fantasy-16-ps5-exclusive-pc-release-naoki-yoshida-2608241/

Don't you mean Xbox?

Thirty7ven

Banned
I don’t think that’s true. Nd is making factions, gg is making Horizon mp, bends next game is GaaS, Insomniac was hiring mp devs so they also have something in the works. That leaves SSM, bluepoint and housemarque.

12 GaaS games when they have maybe 16 studios means 75% of the studios are working on gaas with some of them simultaneously working on single player games like Spider-Man 2, tlou3, Wolverine and whatever ssm is working on.

It doesn’t sound great but until we can say that Sony is making less SP games or funding less SP games through third party partners, there’s not much to be worried about.

PlayStation studios definitely need to have an hand in multiplayer gaming. And MS acquiring ABK just proves that they can’t keep solely relying on other publishers.

However the idea that Ryan and Herman are willing to leave behind story driven games that are so successful doesn’t hold water, specially with Sony pushing for transmedia opportunities, and the success of TLOU HBO.

PlayStation deserves a bit of trust here.

You said it wasn't coming to PC.

Do you have a source for that?

They are giving mixed messages.

"Producer Naoki Yoshida, colloquially known as Yoshi-P, was interviewed at a Mahjong tournament over the weekend, where he was asked whether Final Fantasy XVI would come to PC, something Square Enix confirmed when it revealed the game almost two years ago. However, despite that detail found in the footnote text at the bottom of the trailer, Yoshi-P said the release information is wrong, according to a “rough translation” by the Japanese gaming news Twitter account Genki_JPN. In fact, there may not be a PC version coming at all, as Yoshi-P is apparently suggesting folks go out and buy a PS5 instead."

They are giving mixed messages.

[/URL]

"Producer Naoki Yoshida, colloquially known as Yoshi-P, was interviewed at a Mahjong tournament over the weekend, where he was asked whether Final Fantasy XVI would come to PC, something Square Enix confirmed when it revealed the game almost two years ago. However, despite that detail found in the footnote text at the bottom of the trailer, Yoshi-P said the release information is wrong, according to a “rough translation” by the Japanese gaming news Twitter account Genki_JPN. In fact, there may not be a PC version coming at all, as Yoshi-P is apparently suggesting folks go out and buy a PS5 instead."

That's not a confirmation like you said.

I just meant the single player studios will largely remain single player and MP will just be a side thing

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

hum...

PlayStation 4​

2020​

2021​

2022​

2023​

PlayStation 5[edit]​

2020[edit]​

2021[edit]​

2022[edit]​

2023[edit]​

You're counting subscription plan additions, directors cuts and collection packs as part of the gaming count? Also part of your bullet points are things like Ghost of Tsushima MP mode and GT7 VR mode as separate game entries?

SlimySnake

It doesn’t sound great but until we can say that Sony is making less SP games or funding less SP games through third party partners, there’s not much to be worried about.

PlayStation studios definitely need to have an hand in multiplayer gaming. And MS acquiring ABK just proves that they can’t keep solely relying on other publishers.

However the idea that Ryan and Herman are willing to leave behind story driven games that are so successful doesn’t hold water, specially with Sony pushing for transmedia opportunities, and the success of TLOU HBO.

PlayStation deserves a bit of trust here.
They have just one single player game releasing this year. This after shipping zero next Gen games last year. Even if we count the four cross gen games they released last year, they are going to be beaten 3-1 this year by Microsoft this year. Not a good look for what is supposed to be the best first party. It’s safe to say that their sp output is suffering from this mp focus.

You're counting subscription plan additions, directors cuts and collection packs as part of the gaming count? Also part of your bullet points are things like Ghost of Tsushima MP mode and GT7 VR mode as separate game entries?
I mean...erase that and you still get more than 3 entries "in a good year" so...
2020 alone was ridiculous. This year we already got an MLB game, Horizon DLC, Horizon for VR2, we'll get Spider-Man 2 and we'll see what else after their showcase.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Not only that. He counted call of duty as a Sony game because Sony published it in Japan lmao. Some people have no shame.

The fact of the matter is that Sony first party had two games in 2021, four in 2022, and just one in 2023. That’s if it doesn’t get delayed.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not only that. He counted call of duty as a Sony game because Sony published it in Japan lmao. Some people have no shame.

The fact of the matter is that Sony first party had two games in 2021, four in 2022, and just one in 2023. That’s if it doesn’t get delayed.
The VR game is still a first party game, yes?

Thirty7ven

Banned
They have just one single player game releasing this year. This after shipping zero next Gen games last year. Even if we count the four cross gen games they released last year, they are going to be beaten 3-1 this year by Microsoft this year. Not a good look for what is supposed to be the best first party. It’s safe to say that their sp output is suffering from this mp focus.

It’s not first party but you’re also getting Final Fantasy.

The best first party doesn’t mean a constant stream of games. Go play games from other publishers. RE 4 remake just came out, Jedi Survivor is around the corner.

Also next gen cross gen, that’s just a bunch of bullshit, that distinction doesn’t really matter in the real world.

Elios83

Deviation Games will be next?
I look forward to see all these new projects getting announced.
Clearly to buy a new studio before they release their game and see how it is received is a *huge* sign of confidence in what they're cooking.
Same thing happened with the Jade Raymond's studio.

They locked up Final Fantasy and Forespoken. Obviously the latter flopped, but the former is a massive title.

So it's not like they really needed anything else when you have two gigantic games like FF16 and SM2 releasing. Third party has also been exceptionally strong in their favor.

If we are going to credit Microsoft for Hi-Fi Rush, Redfall, and Starfield - games that would otherwise be on Playstation had MS not bought them out - then we need to include the Square titles as well. It's the same thing.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

It’s not first party but you’re also getting Final Fantasy.

The best first party doesn’t mean a constant stream of games. Go play games from other publishers. RE 4 remake just came out, Jedi Survivor is around the corner.

Also next gen cross gen, that’s just a bunch of bullshit, that distinction doesn’t really matter in the real world.
We are talking about first party studios focusing too much on GaaS games. Not how many exclusives they have locked up. The fact of the matter is that Sony has 12 gaas games coming out in the next 3 years and a large majority of their studios are making those games. They have 1 non vr game coming out this year for the ps5. Are we seriously considering the possibility that they will have more than 12 sp games coming out in the next 3 years?

We are talking about first party studios focusing too much on GaaS games. Not how many exclusives they have locked up. The fact of the matter is that Sony has 12 gaas games coming out in the next 3 years and a large majority of their studios are making those games. They have 1 non vr game coming out this year for the ps5. Are we seriously considering the possibility that they will have more than 12 sp games coming out in the next 3 years?

They have 3 though this year.

We literally know nothing about 2024 at all, but I wouldn't be shocked to see a good mix of SP/MP stuff.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned

I don’t believe PlayStation studios will put out 4 GAAS games per year for the next three years so…

We know what’s coming this year and we don’t know when Wolverine, DS2 and TLoU Online are coming out. The rest we don’t even know what they are.

Top Bottom