• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan Discusses Metaverse, Possible Further Acquisitions, Live Services Expansion, & More

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

Jimmy Sony still has bills to throw

9VoStYF.gif

Yeah. We know https://www.neogaf.com/threads/play...sitions-live-services-expansion-more.1637089/

tmlDan

Both bungie and Activision would finalize in the same year. Unless bungie is finished this year.
yea, it's all estimation at this point but it was supposed to close in June/July of this year so it's all something we're assuming at this point

reksveks

Because that $3.5 billion studio ($2.4 billion actually) (1) generates a net profit of around $300 - $500 million, which is proportionately higher than what Ubisoft costs and earns, (2) can help PlayStation Studios generate billions of $ by sharing their live-service expertise, and (3) secures popular FPS games for the PlayStation ecosystem.

Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert already asked, source? and does that source have revenue numbers?

Bragr

Banned
The future is live-service games, they are so much more sustainable than the massive big-budget single-player behemoths. Sad but true.

The future is live-service games, they are so much more sustainable than the massive big-budget single-player behemoths. Sad but true.
I'd say it's already the present. The biggest money makers in the industry are all live service games. Rarely does a singleplayer game make enough revenue to go against the big boys. Nintendo comes close with their best sellers, but even they are jumping on the DLC bandwaggon.

yurinka

acquire more studios?what for?
PC ports?
They plan to invest the double of money on PS Studios (not counting Bungie) PS5 games during FY2025 than in the current FY2022 year.

They also want to increase their amount of PC ports of old games and mobile games released by PS Studios per year. So pretty likely will buy some console gamedevs, some mobile gamedevs and some support team (yes, to port old games to pc). And super likely they will continue aggresively hiring in all their previously existing internal gamedev studios too.

And this is for PS Studios, Bungie will continue growing too, and they may even buy some publisher more.

Are there any more notable non-indie studios left? All I can think of is publishers and among them only Capcom would be one I could see as a good investment.
Capcom would give them many modern top AAA, a lead position in horror games, fighting games, hack & slash and monster hunting plus a huge catalog for PS+ and a nice amount of extra revenue and profit from all platforms.

Bandai Namco would give them a lead position on soulsborne games, fighting games, arcade games, anime games, licenses for a lot of anime games, a top mobile gamedev team, the 2nd biggest toy company in the world to make merchandising like toys or figurines from their games/movies/tv shows/musicians, a great catalog of classic games, IPs for movies, a ton of classic retro games for PS+ and way more extra revenue and profit from all platforms than Capcom.

Regarding single studios maybe could buy FromSoft from Kadokawa. Maybe could buy Kojipro, Firewalk, Deviation, Supermassive, Arrowhead, Rocksteady, Netherrealm, Remedy, CD Project a few top VR studios like Camouflaj or a few mobile gaming publishers who make licensed console-like mobile games like Gameloft or Scopely. And if their first game works well the new studios Boke, the one from Tabata or the one from Ueda.

Last edited:

DJ12

MS 'sells' xbox to sony, sony brought in as consultants to manage Microsoft game studios output.

Win win.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The impetus for the entire direction change at PlayStation was Fortnite back in 2018. A gen 1 version of a new kind of multiplayer game that made way more money than all their prestige studios combined. Game doesn't get enough credit for single handedly changing the entire timeline.

Really excited to see the 10-12 live service games inspired from Fortnite. This presentation is unbelievably cool.

Last edited:

Shmunter

That was a stupid stance for him to take. It's super stupid for a corporate head to say that you should respect someone's opinions of Abortion. Simply put.......you don't have to respect their opinion either way. You just need to respect them as an employee. Nothing more, nothing less.
Sorry, overly naive.

I’m a supporter of a woman's choice just to put it out there, but I’m also not a supporter of murder, and unfortunately the core issue is that the pro lifers see it exactly as that. How will you change someone’s mind if that’s what they genuinely believe? Not easily.

There’s also a sliding scale to it all, extremes on either side - some treat it as murder at time of conception, others push choice all the way to baby even being fully viable outside of the womb. Wonder where the bigger tilt is.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
2 new unannounced live service games scheduled to hit FY22.

However, Google tells me FY 2022 runs from July 1st 2021 - June 30th 2022.

What am I missing?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
GAAS can be single player too. People seem to think GAAS means MP only, or an MMO type game, but all it means is a game that will continue to get content support over a few years.

Somewhere in this video, Jim Ryan says something like "We're pushing towards Live Service games, which are all obviously multiplayer..."

I know Genshin Impact is a successful GAAS single player game, but I don't think it really took off on consoles or PC.

Shmunter

Somewhere in this video, Jim Ryan says something like "We're pushing towards Live Service games, which are all obviously multiplayer..."

I know Genshin Impact is a successful GAAS single player game, but I don't think it really took off on consoles or PC.

Saw somewhere Genshin Impact is indeed a massive earner on Sony because it drove me to try it, definitely not for me.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The stance of "respect other peoples opinions"?
uh
opinions are for shit like what's your favorite flavor of icecream, or the best rock band
not whether women should have fucking rights or not
opinions are harmless and respectable until they start damaging people's fucking human rights

uh
opinions are for shit like what's your favorite flavor of icecream, or the best rock band
opinions are harmless and respectable until they start damaging people's fucking human rights
Human rights are for all humans including babies and even Jim Ryan no? Please, understand.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Sorry, overly naive.

I’m a supporter of a woman's choice just to put it out there, but I’m also not a supporter of murder, and unfortunately the core issue is that the pro lifers see it exactly as that. How will you change someone’s mind if that’s what they genuinely believe? Not easily.

There’s also a sliding scale to it all, extremes on either side - some treat it as murder at time of conception, others push choice all the way to baby even being fully viable outside of the womb. Wonder where the bigger tilt is.

WOW! I never hit enter on my response here but, I was going to say.....

I don't honestly believe the work place is the best place to have the "abortion debate". There aren't many places that I believe are even worse than the work place actually. Mainly due to the fact that it has nothing to due with the work that you're there to do (for most of us at least).

Last edited:
WOW! I never hit enter on my response here but, I was going to say.....

I don't honestly believe the work place is the best place to have the "abortion debate". There aren't many places that I believe are even worse than the work place actually. Mainly due to the fact that it has nothing to due to the work that you're there to do (for most of us at least).
Yeah, it's super weird. Maybe it's an American obsession with politics? Or is this a very recent thing with Gen Z and millenials being political "activists" all the time? Here in Germany we don't talk about these things. Even with Russia it's like "yeah man, horrible" and then we move on to superficial topics.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah, it's super weird. Maybe it's an American obsession with politics? Or is this a very recent thing with Gen Z and millenials being political "activists" all the time? Here in Germany we don't talk about these things. Even with Russia it's like "yeah man, horrible" and then we move on to superficial topics.
It's like that in the majority of the country here as well, it's just the tech industries and places most are located; the extreme fringes where radicalized college grads want to constantly act a fool and wear their misguided emotions and immutable characteristics (manipulated) on their sleeves.

And it never used to always be that way in the game dev studio/company culture. It has shifted big time over the last 10 years.

Last edited:

kevm3

uh

Babies have a right to live

kevm3

I'm glad Jim Ryan and other gaming companies are no longer accommodating liberals who want to force their political preferences on the rest of society or try to mete out some kind of punishment for those who have a divergent opinion. How the gaming industry turned into a mini Reset Era is beyond me, but I'm glad that companies are pushing back and I'm guessing a large part of it is due to gamers getting tired of having politics dictated to them.

mckmas8808

Banned
It's like that in the majority of the country here as well, it's just the tech industries and places most are located; the extreme fringes where radicalized college grads want to constantly act a fool and wear their misguided emotions and immutable characteristics (manipulated) on their sleeves.

And it never used to always be that way in the game dev studio/company culture. It has shifted big time over the last 10 years.

The same things are happening in rural or "middle" America too in factories and other businesses also. I'm in Texas and all of our work TVs have to be on FoxNews all day. The owner doesn't like it when people change it to CNN or MSNBC. And he and the other execs aren't radicalized college grads. They are all 45 - 70 years old.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The same things are happening in rural or "middle" America too in factories and other businesses also. I'm in Texas and all of our work TVs have to be on FoxNews all day. The owner doesn't like it when people change it to CNN or MSNBC. And he and the other execs aren't radicalized college grads. They are all 45 - 70 years old.
Hopefully with more pushbacks, we start returning to a more moderate normalcy.

mckmas8808

Banned
Hopefully with more pushbacks, we start returning to a more moderate normalcy.

I hope so. But I don't think social media will allow us to do that anymore. I love social media, but it has alot of draw backs.

- There are too many bots on it. Many times you'll be discussing\arguing on Twitter with a bot, thinking that it's a real live person. These bots have you feeling like most of the world is against you, when in reality you're arguing against the air.

- Social media's algorithms make us feel like the country is more divided than it actually is.

- Everything on the internet seems to be about getting clicks or actually educating and having real discussions. Even GAF falls for it every time.

- People never seem to understand when they are part of the extreme. How many times are the words "racist", "woke" are used. It's crazy man.

I hope so. But I don't think social media will allow us to do that anymore. I love social media, but it has alot of draw backs.

- There are too many bots on it. Many times you'll be discussing\arguing on Twitter with a bot, thinking that it's a real live person. These bots have you feeling like most of the world is against you, when in reality you're arguing against the air.

- Social media's algorithms make us feel like the country is more divided than it actually is.

- Everything on the internet seems to be about getting clicks or actually educating and having real discussions. Even GAF falls for it every time.

- People never seem to understand when they are part of the extreme. How many times are the words "racist", "woke" are used. It's crazy man.

I hear you. The problem, in my opinion, is that these ultra-woke zealots are behaving in such a radicalized way, that they will -and already have- push many of the liberal people that espouse leftists view to change camp out of spite. When the most vocal fringe of society gets to impose its views via most of the entertainment channels, wich people seek as a refuge to escape the turmoils of their daily lives, you might see the pendulum swing with a thousand miles per hour to the other extreme...A very dangerous game to play. 🤨

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
I hear you. The problem, in my opinion, is that these ultra-woke zealots are behaving in such a radicalized way, that they will -and already have- push many of the liberal people that espouse leftists view to change camp out of spite. When the most vocal fringe of society gets to impose its views via most of the entertainment channels, wich people seek as a refuge to escape the turmoils of their daily lives, you might see the pendulum swing with a thousand miles per hour to the other extreme...A very dangerous game to play. 🤨

My only issue with your comment is that you seem to think it started with the ultra-woke zealots and then everything went downhill. When it comes to the blame game on this, there really isn't a specific starting point or group to point at. I don't think anybody, in particular, are to blame for the start of it all. Because many on the left would ask, "why is asking for equal rights an infringement on you?" Things don't have to be a zero-sum game.

There seems to be a "newish" narrative that only the liberal view on things is accepted in public, when many would argue that couldn't be further from the truth. For some reason, we all can't collectively even acknowledge a certain standard of facts with anything anymore. If one side says the sky is blue on a sunning day, the other side says it's a lie and that the sky is actually a green color. Or if one side says 2+2 equals 4, the other side says "that's what the media wants you to believe. Free thinkers know that 2+2 actually equals 75!"

It's all messed up.....

Last edited:

Hunnybun

What eye-watering, towering hubris you have to think you can speak for the entirety of NeoGaf!

Jim's so-called "stance" was essentially "respect that other people are entitled to a different opinion". He's absolutely right on this one.

People like you who try to shut down debate, gaslight, psychologically manipulate and bully the masses into falling in line only with what you think are the ones who should probably be de-platformed.

If you carry the view that "people are entitled to their own opinion, and that must be respected" is an extreme view, then the irony is that it is you yourself who is the extremist. This singular fact is what makes you more like the free thought-suppressing religious zealot extremists of the world; the same who commit the most heinous atrocities in the name of their own self-righteous activism.

I'm sorry but we don't platform this kind of filth here on Neogaf.

Hunnybun

Jim Ryan didn't show his stance, he asked their employees respect each other opinions and to be respectful and inclusive with everyone, including those who don't agree with you.

You don't seem to understand the concept of free speech. Just because you get to say some hateful shit, doesn't mean I can't have you arrested for doing so.

That way, ideas can compete and the best one (imprisonment) wins.

Hunnybun

He said respect people that have different opinions. WE talk about video games, and political opinions may sneak in from time to time, but not talking about PlayStation would be dumb. You can not talk about PlayStation and we would probably all be better for it.

Yeah tbh I was just kidding. It was pretty funny.

NikuNashi

You don't seem to understand the concept of free speech. Just because you get to say some hateful shit, doesn't mean I can't have you arrested for doing so.

That way, ideas can compete and the best one (imprisonment) wins.
You sound slightly unhinged.

Top Bottom