• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Creator Kutaragi Snubs Metaverse and VR Headsets

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Have you not seen the mobile phone addicted zombies roaming around in society these days?

A2RL8G.gif
Smartphone gaming is like the exact opposite of VR. Non-immersive games played on a tiny grease-covered screen. And the reason they’re so popular is because they’re so convenient and have zero barrier before you can play it. Within 5 seconds of feeling the impulse you can have your phone in your hand feeding sweet little dopamine hits directly to your brain.

Batiman

Banned
Fully agree. Video games and internet already isolate a lot of people. I’m surprised by the acceptance of VR because it seems like stuff we’d laugh about 10 years ago in how stupid our future selves would be. People would use it to escape their shitty reality which will never be healthy for their real lives

Last edited:
He's not wrong.

VR for gaming is a fun distraction. The headset is a necessary evil but certainly not the most ideal way to enjoy virtual presence in a virtual world (the most ideal way involves technologies that don't yet exist).

The metaverse is just a shitty VR social media site. I've had enough of regular social media. No interest in doing that shit in VR.

K2D

Banned
I like that he doesn't out right slam vr as a whole. There are a lot of differing opinions on gripes with vr. Many of them are subjective, some are universal.

Having something on your head/face is not an uncommon gripe, but usually not a deal breaker in my experience.

Not being able to see you surroundings is a universal one I think: Being able to operate a phone or remote.. Locating a beverage or people in your surroundings.

Best of all, Sony seems focused on combating motion sickness. From 90hz minimum last gen - to headset motion feedback this gen.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm new to PSVR as of yesterday and while it is pretty awesome so far, it's not going to be my go-to gaming experience anytime soon.

The headset is really disorienting after you take it off, might just because I'm new to it but I also want to keep that stuff in check so my brain doesn't become dependent on it. I don't want to be in any type of meta verse either, it looks neat but it's going to be incredibly unhealthy for millions of people. I do view aspects of that as dystopian, the same way I view the vast majority of social media. Lots of young people have regressed in terms of being able to communicate and interact with people in real life.

It is totally justifiable as a boutique experience though, I was having an absolute blast with Astrobot. It 100% is a gaming experience that a TV alone can't provide.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I really respect what Ken has done for the industry especially on the PlayStation and but after this holiday season I can almost Bank 100% that VR is about to continue to explode and it is here to stay.

And it isn't just cuz I have one and I have an investment it's like me saying I spent $3,000 on my PC and I'll justify it around every corner. VR has come a long way ever since especially even the first PlayStation VR headset. And with their second generation unit competing with the best of them at a probably more reasonable price, things are looking really good.

So good for somebody even like me that has over whatever the investment for the complete valve index kit, I'm pretty much 100% sold on this next unit for the PS5.

I'm not too high on the Facebook metaverse thing but like a lot of videos are saying if it expands VR we need to piggyback off of that once things are big enough and demand better or transparent things because Facebook's approach isn't exactly what I would call the best but look at what they're doing with their amazingly priced entry level unit which gets the job done.

Kuranghi

I'm new to PSVR as of yesterday and while it is pretty awesome so far, it's not going to be my go-to gaming experience anytime soon.

The headset is really disorienting after you take it off, might just because I'm new to it but I also want to keep that stuff in check so my brain doesn't become dependent on it. I don't want to be in any type of meta verse either, it looks neat but it's going to be incredibly unhealthy for millions of people. I do view aspects of that as dystopian, the same way I view the vast majority of social media. Lots of young people have regressed in terms of being able to communicate and interact with people in real life.

It is totally justifiable as a boutique experience though, I was having an absolute blast with Astrobot. It 100% is a gaming experience that a TV alone can't provide.

One thing I feel bad about is (especially young uns, 18-24 years told me this the other day) the whole not getting to make a proper first impression with people when dating or just meeting via social media. They said the first thing you do is go and look up everything they've said online and then base whether they continue relationship with them.

I get checking facebook or having a wee peek at photos, but just going through a bunch of text where you don't know context or intention and then making a judgement on someone without ever really speaking in person is mental to me. I want to get to know people in person, the real person, not how they are online.

I certainly say things and act (a bit, I'm still pretty mental irl tbh) differently on here/online than in person so its not really me the real me, "<insert real name>", its "Kuranghi" you're looking at online.

Kuranghi

Says the horniest old man on the forum! Look at all your posts and do a ctrl-f for "waifu" and tell me when you finish collating the data next week:

Cbs Irony GIF by Paramount+

I do love that gif you used though ha

I was out at the pub with 6 of the younger staff, 5 guys and 1 girl (terrible start lol), the guys are aged 17-24 (most were under 20 though) as the night went on they all got extremely drunk and at one point the conversation goes to Instagram and before I know it the the girl (22) has her phone out and is showing us pictures of her instagram with her photoshopped ass in bikinis and lingerie. She's asking what we think of it and I say nothing and think "commenting on that in this setting is just fucking weird too me, its a lovely arse yes but its feels simpy and creepy as fuck to be like wolf whistling and slapping our cocks on the table".

That was her inviting us to comment, so its not even if your younger you can go and perv/wank to a potential partners photos before you even go on a first date, its the girls will actually insist that you objectify and perv on themselves in front of them lmao. What a mad dating world :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
One thing I feel bad about is (especially young uns, 18-24 years told me this the other day) the whole not getting to make a proper first impression with people when dating or just meeting via social media. They said the first thing you do is go and look up everything they've said online and then base whether they continue relationship with them.

I get checking facebook or having a wee peek at photos, but just going through a bunch of text where you don't know context or intention and then making a judgement on someone without ever really speaking in person is mental to me. I want to get to know people in person, the real person, not how they are online.

I certainly say things and act (a bit, I'm still pretty mental irl tbh) differently on here/online than in person so its not really me the real me, "<insert real name>", its "Kuranghi" you're looking at online.
Oh absolutely, I love visiting my nephews cause they're 15 & 16 but have managed to stay pretty grounded. They're on social media but recognize that it's kind of destroying their generation in certain ways. They talk about people trying to "cancel" each other at school through social media and all kinds of other things. I love being able to tell them what growing up was like prior to smart phones and social media, one of my goals with them is to show them that this toxic behavior isn't normal and they don't have to go along with it, even if everyone else is. They're also at the age where they're wearing Smashing Pumpkins t-shirts and I just love being like "I grew up with that music, let me show you this other band that you'll probably like..."

I'm a bit different on GAF too than I am in real life, definitely more outwardly chipper on here with my enthusiasm towards things, I'm more reserved in real life.

GAF machine

It sounds like he’s specifically talking about the Metaverse, and given that AR/VR headsets are his competition and surely to beat out his solution, I can understand why he doesn’t like it.

Mixed Reality headsets aren't his competition because they don't exclude physical reality. He believes that tech should mix AR and VR to create a "cyberverse" like the 'Cyber Society' he envisioned.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
With facebook has changed the world for the worse, in terms of coexistence and morality.

I support kutaragi, metaverse is worse than cancer and it even gives me chills from the disaster it's going to cause. I hope the project is rejected or a Terminator even someone from the future arrives to prevent it.

Then Mark Zuckerberg and facebook imagines the real world Skynet to me.

Last edited:

GAF machine

KK, who said he wanted eight cores in PS3 because that number was so beautiful, or smth like that... when IBM engineers asked him, why. strange fella

Yeah that's him; but why is he "strange" for seeing beauty in that number? He's a purist engineer with a deep passion for computer science. Eight was beautiful to him because it's a power of two (i.e. 2 raised to the 3rd power equals 8) so it adheres to the "Power of Two" computing principal, as he explained when asked:

Cell has 8 embedded "SPE" CPU cores. What is the basis for this number?
Because it's a power of two, that's all there is to it. It's an aesthetic. In the world of computers, the power of two is the fundamental principle - there's no other way. Actually, in the course of development, there's this one occasion when we had an all-night, intense discussion in a U.S. hotel. The IBM team proposed to make it six. But my answer was simple - "the power of two." -- Ken Kutaragi

Had he listened to the IBMers and gone with six SPEs knowing that one would be disabled to improve manufacturing yields and another dedicated to security, CELL would've been left with four available SPEs.

A PS3 with four SPEs would've performed unfathomably poor. Four SPEs would've also prevented Barry Minor (IBM visualization architect) from using only two PS3s as servers and a third PS3 as a client to run his iRT over a network in 720p at "interactive framerates" (the two PS3 servers and the server/client relationship both adhere to the Power of Two principal).

In this sense, as a layman I can understand why he thought eight was beautiful.

Last edited:

Reallink

Man whose company is literally trying to create Holodeck holograms shits on wearable headsets, news at 11. Problem with that is we're at least several decades away from the technology to accomplish that, very likely not in anyone's lifetime who is reading this. And even a holodeck would be rendered moot by a brain computer interface that could create waking dreams.

Last edited:

GAF machine

I don't know if he is right, he certainly has an interesting opinion. I think there is a reason sony dropped kutagari after PS3. I don't think he aligned with what they wanted to do with PS4 and going forward.

Kutaragi wasn't "dropped" after PS3. Before starting work on PS1 he planned for PS3 to be his last console because he dreamed of retiring at 50:

This doesn't mean that if the opportunity arises, he won't one day assume the leadership of Sony itself. "My instinct is, if asked, he will serve," says Electronic Arts CEO Larry Probst, who's worked closely with the PlayStation inventor. Kutaragi himself isn't talking about succession. "My first dream," he says with a smile, "was to retire when I was 50." -- Ken Kutaragi

Kutaragi was already 50 by the time CELL/PS3 R&D started in 2001. He stepped down in 2007, so he missed his retirement by six years. On his way out the door he said "as a matter of course, I have the vision for PS4, 5 and 6". Andrew House can attest to PS4, as he said Kutaragi offered advise prior to PS4's launch and that PS4 was "in keeping" with Kutaragi's vision. The PS4 Pro also keeps with Kutaragi's vision, though Mark Cerny couldn't mention him by name. Everything SIE does and will do in the future aligns with Kutaragi.

Last edited:

GAF machine

I think he is talking about blending the two vs re-creating in VR.

That's the impression I got. I also get the impression that what annoys him isn't so much having to wear a VR headset, it's that VR headsets like PS VR isolate the wearer from physical reality.

Interestingly, the combination of PS VR2's embedded cameras and PS5's HD camera could have the potential to blend physical reality and cyberspace to create what Kutaragi called a 'Cyber Society' that blurs "the real and the imaginary", and lets people experience different forms of entertainment. It would be a mixed reality cyberverse, rather than a VR-only metaverse.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

1200x-1.jpg

PlayStation inventor Ken Kutaragi shrugged off the metaverse as the tech industry’s next big undertaking and head-mounted displays as the portal to that destination, describing them as dividing rather than unifying the real and virtual realms.

Kutaragi, who created Sony Group Corp.’s video game business in 1993, now serves as the chief executive officer of Ascent Robotics Inc., a Tokyo-based artificial intelligence startup that just raised 1 billion yen ($8.7 million) from Sony and SBI Holdings Inc.

The goal of Ascent, which Kutaragi describes as his life’s mission, is to blend the real world with cyberspace in a seamless, gadget-less fashion akin to Star Wars holograms. Tech companies including Apple Inc., Meta Platforms Inc. and Sony’s PlayStation unit are stepping up development of virtual-reality headsets amid a race for what they anticipate will be a metaverse bonanza. But Kutaragi is not a fan.

While I agree with the "being an ugly cartoon avatar thing" (and indeed Meta's avatars suck even more than the Xbox 360 ones from years ago) vs being yourself in the metaverse, Meta has been R&Ding ways to replicate your real self and use that as an avatar. Combine that with UE5's Metahuman tech and we're not far off achieving it.

Reactions: K2D
Top Bottom