• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Dev: PlayStation Has “Some Bangers” Out “This Year,” Not Ragnarok but “Equally Cool”

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
name me a single AAA game that released less than 12 months after announcement. hell, even 2 years is not a thing to my knowledge.

I can't think of a single aaa game with less than 2 years between announcement and release that isn't a remake/remaster
You are getting your wires crossed and not comprehending what I said.

Reread it.
This hasn't been a thing for them for the past 3 to 4 years. They've tightened the promotion windows big time after initial reveals and State of Plays became a thing.

Horizon 2, GT7, God of War Ragnarok, Returnal DLC, on top of 3rd party exclusives Forspoken, Sifu, Stray and supposedly FF16.
+ VR2.
Its not the best year, but its pretty damn good at the same time.
Only problem is they have less/zero 1st party PS5 exclusives than the 1st year with Demon Souls, Ratchet and Clank plus Returnal
Seriously? God of War PC, Uncharted Collection released for PS5 and PC, Horizon Forbidden West, a new Gran Turismo game (first main entry in almost a decade), a new God of War game, free DLC for one of their best games of last year, Sony's subscription services being remodeled, a new VR headset...i can't think of better years for Sony's 1st party development teams with the exception of 2020 when the PS5 released. Add to this Forspoken, Sifu, Stray and if by some miracle Final Fantasy XVI releases this year then it would be honestly crazy and a year Sony would take a long time to rival, specially considering not everything releasing this year has been announced yet...this is what we know.

Last edited:

Banned
You are getting your wires crossed and not comprehending what I said.

Reread it.

what you wrote there has basically no meaning. fact is, Sony has to this day never released a big budget title with less than at least 2 years of promotion ahead of launch.

the games that do get announced closer to release are usually small titles or remakes/remasters.

nothing you said in your reply in any way had an argument against what I said 🤷 so not sure what I'm supposed to comprehend there that would change what I said

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
what you wrote there has basically no meaning. fact is, Sony has to this day never released a big budget title with less than at least 2 years of promotion ahead of launch.

the games that do get announced closer to release are usually small titles or remakes/remasters.

nothing you said in your reply in any way had an argument against what I said 🤷 so not sure what I'm supposed to comprehend there that would change what I said
Nah, they announce a game, then you don't hear shit. About 6 months out or less they do the heavy promotion. It has been this way for years now, especially with SoPs.

name me a single AAA game that released less than 12 months after announcement. hell, even 2 years is not a thing to my knowledge.

I can't think of a single aaa game with less than 2 years between announcement and release that isn't a remake/remaster

Demon’s Souls Remake, Spider-man Miles Morales Destruction All Stars, Rift Apart, Returnal, Resident Evil 8, Sackboy, Tiny Tina, Guardians of The Galaxy, Life is Strange 3

Last edited:

SSfox

Oh boy those twitter guys like to hype everything bro, it can be cool but at the level of GOWR??!! c'mon bruh stop the drugs NOW

Last edited:
Miles Morales, Spider-Man Remastered (with new assets and mocap for some characters, etc), Ratchet & Clank all released in a 7 month period.
Miles Morales was 6 hours of new gameplay over the same NYC map except with a layer of snow, and you have got to give me a break putting SpiderMan Remastered on this list :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Miles Morales was 6 hours of new gameplay over the same NYC map except with a layer of snow, and you have got to give me a break putting SpiderMan Remastered on this list :messenger_grinning_squinting:
Spider-Man 2 has been in development for years already. It's not like they started working on it after Miles Morales. Also the game wasn't a 6 hour experience. In fact it wasn't much shorter than like the first Uncharted game.

I also mentioned 3 games and somehow you only cared for 2. What's the excuse for Ratchet and Clank?

Spider-Man 2 has been in development for years already. It's not like they started working on it after Miles Morales. Also the game wasn't a 6 hour experience. In fact it wasn't much shorter than like the first Uncharted game.

I also mentioned 3 games and somehow you only cared for 2. What's the excuse for Ratchet and Clank?
Ratchet and Clank is the only actual full game you listed, there is nothing to debate about it. The other two are just an expansion and an upgrade to a game that was 3 years old.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Demons Souls - announced in June launched in November
Miles Morales - announced in June launched in November
Ratchet - announced in June 2020 released in June 2021
Returnal - announced in June 2020 released in March 2021

Games like Horizon and GT were closer to 18 months and Ragnarok will be the same should it release this year

Sony have strayed away from long marketing cycles. They are not 100% at the point of releasing within 12 months of announcement but getting pretty close. Some games they may still do a teaser for like Ragnarok and Wolverine but otherwise they are keeping it pretty tight

Gamerguy84

I'm sure they do. I literally have no idea what they have coming. TBH I like that because knowing about a project for years takes some steam out of it.

I can't have it until it's out anyway

Banned

Games like Horizon and GT were closer to 18 months and Ragnarok will be the same should it release this year

Sony have strayed away from long marketing cycles. They are not 100% at the point of releasing within 12 months of announcement but getting pretty close. Some games they may still do a teaser for like Ragnarok and Wolverine but otherwise they are keeping it pretty tight

Remember that I said AAA game... ok? good:

Demon's Souls - is a remaster, literally had these as exceptions listed you know?
Miles Morales - is literally a standalone addon... not a big title
Ratchet - that is the only real one that fits here, my guess is that due to it being a PS5 only launch window title they announced it comparatively late
Returnal - really low budget indy game. they weren't part of Sony yet so they were an indy studio at the time.

GT7 was officially talked about all the way back in 2019, where Yamauchi confirmed the game is in active development, meaning pre-production was already finished and the game was well underway

this means you found exactly 1 single game that actually is AAA and was released less than 2 years before they officially announced it, Rift Apart.
that game is a launch year game on a console that wasn't officially shown until a few months ahead of launch, meaning they basically kept that game under wraps because it was part of the Console announcement PR strategy. that is very common when a new console launched.
but we are way past that now and exceptions like these will be even more rare now.

Last edited:

Plus all the VR2 games coming out later this year. And Ragnarok...we got a logo. They announced the game but we got no trailer. We'll get the game less than a year after looking at its first footage release.

Games don't need years to be advertised nowadays. Look at stuff like Red Dead Redemption 2.

Demon's Souls - is a remake, literally had these as exceptions listed you know?
Ratchet - that is the only real one that fits here, my guess is that due to it being a PS5 only launch window title they announced it comparatively late
Returnal - really low budget indy game. they weren't part of Sony yet so they were an indy studio at the time.
Damn...keep moving that goalpost. A remake is not a remaster. It's still AAA development for Demon's Souls. Miles Morales is still AAA even if it's a smaller title. Returnal is NOT an indie game. It's AAA production value...it was financed by Sony's money like any other title.

Holy crap...

Last edited:

Demon's Souls - is a remaster, literally had these as exceptions listed you know?

GT7 was officially talked about all the way back in 2019, where Yamauchi confirmed the game is in active development, meaning pre-production was already finished and the game was well underway

this means you found exactly 1 single game that actually is AAA and was released less than 2 years before they officially announced it, Rift Apart.
that game is a launch year game on a console that wasn't officially shown until a few months ahead of launch, meaning they basically kept that game under wraps because it was part of the Console announcement PR strategy. that is very common when a new console launched.
but we are way past that now and exceptions like these will be even more rare now.

Forbidden West, GT7, Returnal and Ratchet and Clank are all AAA games that were announced and released in less than 2 years

You can flip flop as much as you want but those are the facts

tommib

Forbidden West, GT7, Returnal and Ratchet and Clank are all AAA games that were announced and released in less than 2 years

You can flip flop as much as you want but those are the facts
No, no, no, Returnal is a really low budget indie game with no connection to Sony… That’s why the credits last 18 minutes and have 300 people on it with XDEV work, state of the art audio engines and graphic technologies, Hollywood caliber music composers, world-class animation and environment artists, motion capture in Sony’s Los Angeles and San Diego studios… It’s the new indie-concept. Everyone can do it.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Unless he is phrasing that in a way that means the team he is in has been working on this 3-5 years, and not him personally...this seems to be a title that Sony outsourced to Certain Affinity, whom he worked for the last four years before returning to Sony. Perhaps he was contracted through Sony to be in-house, or it's coincidental, I don't know, but assuming that is the case I'm gonna say it's either a new IP that is a FPS, or it's...... Killzone.

Entirely possible he's just back at Sony, and there is no connection to Certain Affinity, and by the looks of their last effort, that would be a gooooood thing.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This is such a dumb complaint, by this you're stating Spider-Man, God of War, Horizon, Ratchet and Uncharted are all very similar when in reality they play nothing alike.

And yet, if you played games like Civilization, Minecraft, Persona, Overwatch (a more diverse diet), you'd circle the 4 games you listed and suggest they do indeed play similarly.

Belthazar

And yet, if you played games like Civilization, Minecraft, Persona, Overwatch (a more diverse diet), you'd circle the 4 games you listed and suggest they do indeed play similarly.

You could also circle those 4 and find similarities, with the resource management based gameplay of civilization and Minecraft, the time management aspect of Persona and Civilization, the camera perspective of Minecraft and Overwatch. But that would be a stretch, just like bundling games together just because they're played in third person.

Last edited:

Did he just call Returnal an Indie game?

Joe Biden Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

Last edited:

EDMIX

For the 2022 part I assume he is referring to a $70 "Last of Us Collection"

-TLOU Part 1 (Remade for the PS5, already leaked)
-TLOU Fractions or MP of some kind (Already known)
-TLOU2 Remastered for PS5 with spatial audio and DualSense support in 4K 60.

Let's not forget there will be 5-10 PS VR2 games in 2022 if it launches.

Very, very logical.

Easy day 1 collector's edition steelbook if they got it.

Marvel Marvel Beer Baelly Beer Baelly DeepEnigma DeepEnigma Order 1887.... yes, yes, 1345x yes..hand that IP over to Sony Santa Monica, include a day and night cycle to fight werewolves at night when the full moon comes out lol

Last edited:
The thing about sony is you just dont even know when to expect their next show or anything, september for the big showcase is most likely but it will be brutal if nothing is announced before that

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You could also circle those 4 and find similarities, with the resource management based gameplay of civilization and Minecraft, the time management aspect of Persona and Civilization, the camera perspective of Minecraft and Overwatch. But that would be a stretch, just like bundling games together just because they're played in third person.

You give 100 random gamers a list of the 8 aforementioned games...the vast majority are circling the four third person cutscene heavy games as being most similar.

yurinka

There are 1344 people listed ( 189 of them in the "thanks" section) on the game credits of this game. As usual in many Sony games, a lot of this staff listed there is from Sony.

The game was in development for more than four years, it's their first AAA game.

Before this game they were smaller, but developed a lot of games for Sony.

Last edited:
There are 1344 people listed ( 189 of them in the "thanks" section) on the game credits of this game. As usual in many Sony games, a lot of this staff listed there is from Sony.

The game was in development for more than four years, it's their first AAA game.

Before this game they were smaller, but developed a lot of games for Sony.

Doesn’t even make sense to argue.

Regardless of whether or not Sony owned Housemarque the game itself was funded, co-developed, and published by Sony, just like Death Stranding.

Its not “indie” and it certainly isn’t low budget. I’d argue it’s probably a bigger budget game than most 3rd party AAA games are

Last edited:

CosmicComet

I hope there are some bangers because for the first gen ever a Sony console is not drawing my attention in.

-Returnal? Don't care at all.

-Ratchet & Clank? Loved the series prior and the PS4 game was great, but it seems the twitter loons took over this one so it lost its shine for me.

-Gran Turismo has a great legacy but never been into racing sims.

-Demon's Souls remake? Literally just the 2009 game (which I loved) with a new coat of paint and some questionable design tweaks.

-Dont remotely give a fuck about Spiderman and even less about the Miles version.

-Dont give a fuck about Wolverine.

-Dont give a fuck about Horizon despite really trying to on Zero Dawn.

-Destruction All-Stars...lmao.

-God of War is my favorite IP in gaming but Ragnarok will mark the first time that they created a cross-gen GoW. A massive disappointment, seeing as GoW3 was a huge jump over GoW2 and pretty much blew the 360 out of the water. But it's clear that Ragnarok will not be that massive jump since it has to be reduced to work on the PS4.

We'll still see but right now Sony's output is uninspiring to me.

kyliethicc

Well, idk.. they couldn’t announce PS5 games in 2019, obviously.

The new gen basically by definition meant they had to wait to reveal many games til near release.

I think the quick announcement and release thing is more for smaller releases - Director‘s Cuts, remasters, PC ports, and MLB.

Are you an idiot? (Don't answer that)

Do you know the difference between a years later upres port (bundled with GoW2 in a collection) and a cross-gen game you shameless shill?

Don't ever try to come at me about God of War related knowledge.

It’s cross-gen just like Godfall. Hate to ruin the fantasy

The game is mostly unchanged between the ps2/ps3 versions. Infact there is probably less change between the ps2 and ps3 version of god of war 2 than there will be between ps4 and ps5 ragnarok

Last edited:

yurinka

Well, idk.. they couldn’t announce PS5 games in 2019, obviously.

The new gen basically by definition meant they had to wait to reveal many games til near release.

I think the quick announcement and release thing is more for smaller releases - Director‘s Cuts, remasters, PC ports, and MLB.

Just checked these ones to detail them and added a few more to complete the list of their AAA games they released (without counting Astro, PC ports or 3rd party exclusives) since the PS5 release:
  • Demons Souls - announced in June launched in November (5 monthts)
  • Miles Morales - announced in June launched in November (5 monthts)
  • Ratchet - announced in June 2020 released in June 2021 (1 year)
  • Returnal - announced in June 2020 released in March 2021 (9 monthts)
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventture - announced in June launched in November (5 monthts)
  • Destruction All Stars - announced June 2020 - launched in February 2021 (8 month)
  • HFW - announced in June 2020 for a 2021 release (if we assume November,, the originally planned campaign was 17 months or less, and ended being 20)
  • GT7 - announced in June 2020 for a 2021 release (if we assume November , the originally planned campaign was 17 months or less, and ended being being 21)

• GoWR - announced in September 2020 for a 2021 release (assuming Nov 21 for the original release date and Nov 22 for the final one, the originally planned campaign would have been 15 months or less, and ended being 27)
Let's see MLB and the remasters with extra bundled content:
  • DS DC - announced in June 2021 launched in September 2021 PS5 and March 2022 PC (3 months PS5, 9 months PC)
  • GoT DC - announced in June 2021 launched Augustt 2021 (1 month)
  • MLB 21 -- announced February 2021 released in April 2021 (2 months)
  • MLB 22 -- announced January 2022 released in April 2022 (3 months)
  • Uncharted LoTC - announced in Sept 2021 launched in January 2022 and Summer 2022 PC (4 months, 10 monhs PC)
All these full AAA games were announced ~0.5-1.5 year before intended launch. The remasters with extra content and MLB ~1-4 months before release.

Back in June/September 2020 they ran out of games to promote -or their announcement was delayed due to covid- and they announced a big batch at the same time. This summer we'll be in a similar position so probably they'll announce their H2 2022+2023 line-up with maybe one or two early 2024 titles, plus maybe some additional remaster with extra content (+MLB) announced across the year.

Let's say some day they announce a TLOU1+2 DC bundle for PS5 (remake of 1+remaster of 2) or a Bloodborne Remastered with extra content (by From Soft + BluePoint): they could be released a handful months later on PS5, maybe followed half a year later by a PC port. I assume that a handful months before GoWR release they could also announce a 'GoW 2018 remastered' (with $10 upgrade) for PS5 that could be bundled with GoWR on a Ultimate Edition bundle, as they did with Morales.

And let's say they announce some completely new full games this June and some more this September (could be Helldivers 2, Firewalk's game, unannounced Guerrilla game, TLOU2 factions game, unannounced game from London or Firesprite, next Team Asobi game, PSVR2 games, who knows if a new Bungie IP...), they would be released from this november until late 2023 (year where Spider-Man 2 should be included) or early 2024 (when I assume Wolverine will be released) for PS and wouldn't be ported to PC at least for now, until several years after PS release. With the Bungie new IP and maybe the TLOU2 Factions game as exception.

We also have to consider that to complete the rest of the years with important news, Sony also combines the announcement and promotion of these games with several 3rd party exclusive AAA and indies, plus some AAA multiplatform who signed marketing deal with them plus extra stuff like OS features, accesories & services updates (PSVR2, new PS+, PS5 Tournaments, Discord, EVO...) and acquisitions.

Doesn’t even make sense to argue.

Regardless of whether or not Sony owned Housemarque the game itself was funded, co-developed, and published by Sony, just like Death Stranding.

Its not “indie” and it certainly isn’t low budget. I’d argue it’s probably a bigger budget game than most 3rd party AAA games are
Yep, being published by a top publisher like Sony means isn't indie. And obviously didn't have low budget. It's a AAA game.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's a remake, bud
yep.
All assets are RE MADE
Remaster comes across - oh we get all the same assets and everything. Just run it at higher resolution. More like reading old movie tape at higher rest. You are not doing new set dressing and scenes

Boneless

It’s cross-gen just like Godfall. Hate to ruin the fantasy

The game is mostly unchanged between the ps2/ps3 versions. Infact there is probably less change between the ps2 and ps3 version of god of war 2 than there will be between ps4 and ps5 ragnarok

No, God of War 2 was released only on PS2 so was not crossgen, the fact that it was later remastered and released to PS3 is irrelevant.

Top Bottom