• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Dev: PlayStation Has “Some Bangers” Out “This Year,” Not Ragnarok but “Equally Cool”

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I'd be all over that.
I would cry tears of joy for The Order 1887

Major League Soccer Thank You GIF by NYCFC

Last edited:
Realisticly other than TLOU Multiplayer and Remake there is nothing on the level of GOW that could possibly release this year.

That said id be delighted if we got GOW, TLOU Remake and TLOU Multiplayer all in the same year

drezz

I would love for Astro/home game. Running around with other players doing mini games such as tennis and bowling and platform games.
Instead of the Square for punch, it could be a wave with the hand? Binding other stuff to the touchpad.
Astro's Playroom showed a bunch of bot's using a whole lot of cosmetic's of different characters from different games.
Using cosmetic such as Kratos from God of War or Solid Snake from MGS, running around being goofballs,
PSVR2 around the corner would make great use as well, either as controlling Astro or as a big eyed thing?
Being able to group up with others and boost into another game like Apex or Fortnite in a couple of secounds.
Imagine if Fortnites Battlebuss would be displayed at the edge of a space where you could jump in the back and it would launch you into the game. People looking to group up with others would somewhat flock that space right? Meeting others and party up.
The many problem's @ Home on PS3 had is gone with PS5 spec's, loading, blank avatar, stiff characters, limited space/playercount. And seeing how "play as a service" has come to stay... I'd fit better in?
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

leizzra

God of War 2 came out in the last year of the PS2's generation before the PS3 launched. They released it as part of a collection later but it's not necessarily a cross gen game. They should have had a PS3 version at launch though. It would have shut up some of the 'PS3 has no games' crowd.
God of War 2 launched after PS3 launch - march 2007 so few months later (in North America nad Japan because Europe got PS3 in march 2007). If I remember correctly playing it on PS3 had some advantages like higher resolution FMV. It wasn't a cross-gen game though.

sainraja

God of War 2 launched after PS3 launch - march 2007 so few months later (in North America nad Japan because Europe got PS3 in march 2007). If I remember correctly playing it on PS3 had some advantages like higher resolution FMV. It wasn't a cross-gen game though.
EDIT: Nevermind. I got my years mixed up. You are right it came out after....but still it was basically the end of the PS2's lifecycle and PS3 did have backwards compatibility but they should have had an official PS3 version.

Last edited:
I hope there are some bangers because for the first gen ever a Sony console is not drawing my attention in.

-Returnal? Don't care at all.

-Ratchet & Clank? Loved the series prior and the PS4 game was great, but it seems the twitter loons took over this one so it lost its shine for me.

-Gran Turismo has a great legacy but never been into racing sims.

-Demon's Souls remake? Literally just the 2009 game (which I loved) with a new coat of paint and some questionable design tweaks.

-Dont remotely give a fuck about Spiderman and even less about the Miles version.

-Dont give a fuck about Wolverine.

-Dont give a fuck about Horizon despite really trying to on Zero Dawn.

-Destruction All-Stars...lmao.

-God of War is my favorite IP in gaming but Ragnarok will mark the first time that they created a cross-gen GoW. A massive disappointment, seeing as GoW3 was a huge jump over GoW2 and pretty much blew the 360 out of the water. But it's clear that Ragnarok will not be that massive jump since it has to be reduced to work on the PS4.

We'll still see but right now Sony's output is uninspiring to me.
I'm furious at Ragnarok being cross gen. There's no good reason for it other than greed. By the time it comes out it'll be over 2 years since the consoles launched. They could and should've transferred development over to strictly ps5. That's their best exclusive right now. God of War has a legacy for releasing mind blowing NEXT GEN versions such as GoW3 as you mentioned. If there ever was an obvious choice to make a next gen game that blows everyone away and shows off the hardware that would've been it.

tommib

Are we STILL arguing about cross-gen?

Y'all a bunch of runny turds sometimes.
Cross-gen hate makes me laugh. I get it, you want to see devs focusing on the latest hardware tech but you also want them to make as much money as possible to keep investing in the chocolate cakes they bake for us.

Look at Elden Ring. Who cares it’s cross-gen. It’s a monster of a game selling 20 million copies in like 2 months. They wouldn’t see those numbers if it wasn’t cross-gen.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Clock's ticking with ~6 months left.

God of War & Spiderman were Sony's 2 biggest games last gen...pretty large company, if accurate (or overhyped).

Cross-gen hate makes me laugh. I get it, you want to see devs focusing on the latest hardware tech but you also want them to make as much money as possible to keep investing in the chocolate cakes they bake for us.

Look at Elden Ring. Who cares it’s cross-gen. It’s a monster of a game selling 20 million copies in like 2 months. They wouldn’t see those numbers if it wasn’t cross-gen.

I wonder if these detractors of cross-gen games are the same people who praise the crap out of ER for being a brilliant game.

Not to take away from how good ER is, but like you said:
1. it's cross gen
2. it's doing major numbers
3. it's not the most amazing looking game
out there

And it's doing so well because it has a great mix of world building, exploration and gameplay.

So why don't we wait to see how the devs have expanded on GoW's combat/gameplay and story instead of focusing on it being cross-gen.

I can't wait to see how good next gen only games are going to look as well, but ultimately, if it looks like gold and plays like a turd then all we have is a golden turd.

CosmicComet

It’s cross-gen just like Godfall. Hate to ruin the fantasy

The game is mostly unchanged between the ps2/ps3 versions. Infact there is probably less change between the ps2 and ps3 version of god of war 2 than there will be between ps4 and ps5 ragnarok

What the fuck are you talking about? I would think if you were on a gaming forum this long you would know common terminology, especially vis-a-vis ports vs cross-gen

GoW1 & GoW2 were PS2 developed games that received PS3 upres ports by Bluepoint over two years after GoW2 came out for the the PS2. That was a remastered collection you dullard.

Cross-gen would be if GoW3 or Ascension were simultaneously developed and released for the PS2 and PS3. Or if GoW '18 was simultaneously developed and released for PS3 and PS4.

Thank fucking God they weren't because those games would have been so reduced if they were, especially GoW3 and Ascension.

Idk what your point was about Ragnarok PS5 likely having bigger differences over the PS4 version than the PS3 remasters of GoW1 & 2 had over the native PS2 versions. Those PS3 remastered ports were done by Bluepoint and they were just clean up jobs. They didn't revamp any assets like geometry, textures etc the way cross-gen games often do.

Point is Ragnarok will be an incremental jump compared to what it could have been if it was dedicated to PS5 development.

All the other cross-gen games for Sony PS5 I don't mind, but the fact that GoW, Sony's largest series in terms of bombast and epic setpieces, is cross-gen is one of the lamest decisions ever.

Returnal could have easily been developed as cross-gen, that game is pretty mild in scale. But the fact that it's PS5 only instead of a later, bigger title in Ragnarok is just tragic.

Sony's decision on this was garbage.

CosmicComet

I wonder if these detractors of cross-gen games are the same people who praise the crap out of ER for being a brilliant game.

Not to take away from how good ER is, but like you said:
1. it's cross gen
2. it's doing major numbers
3. it's not the most amazing looking game
out there

And it's doing so well because it has a great mix of world building, exploration and gameplay.

So why don't we wait to see how the devs have expanded on GoW's combat/gameplay and story instead of focusing on it being cross-gen.

I can't wait to see how good next gen only games are going to look as well, but ultimately, if it looks like gold and plays like a turd then all we have is a golden turd.
I praise the hell out Elden Ring while also lamenting that it's cross-gen.

That game was great IN-SPITE of the burden of cross-gen, not because of it.

It would have undeniably been better if it was Series X and PS5 only.

So I dont know why you think there is some intellectual gulf that can't be reconciled by hating cross-gen and loving Elden Ring.

Ragnarok will almost assuredly be a great game and GOTY contender, but will it be as great as it could have been if the same talent were allowed to make it PS5 only? Undeniably not.

yurinka

I praise the hell out Elden Ring while also lamenting that it's cross-gen.

That game was great IN-SPITE of the burden of cross-gen, not because of it.

It would have undeniably been better if it was Series X and PS5 only.

So I dont know why you think there is some intellectual gulf that can't be reconciled by hating cross-gen and loving Elden Ring.

Ragnarok will almost assuredly be a great game and GOTY contender, but will it be as great as it could have been if the same talent were allowed to make it PS5 only? Undeniably not.
Elden Ring originally was going to be previous gen only. Like Horizon 2, GT7 or GoWR, it was started to be developed when they didn't have access to next gen devkits or engines. Meaning that being next gen only would have looked/been basically the same unless it would have been delayed at least a year or two more.

Last edited:

CosmicComet

Elden Ring originally was going to be previous gen only. Like Horizon 2, GT7 or GoWR, it was started to be developed when they didn't have access to next gen devkits or engines. Meaning that being next gen only would have looked/been basically the same unless it would have been delayed at least a year or two more.
I'm well aware of that fact.

That's also why you hear less cross-gen lamenting when it comes to Elden Ring because it was announced for that gen to start with and because Fromsoft games are never really huge in scale.

Whereas when Ragnarok was intially announced there was no mention of cross-gen and everyone was pretty assured that it wouldn't be as they still held on to the "we believe in generations" statement seriously at the time. Not to mention Santa Monica had never developed a cross-gen GoW before and
we had no initial reason to believe they would do so now.

And rightly so seeing as GoW beyond all other Sony IPs was known for pushing the envelope with big spectacle.

Who could have predicted that an earlier release, cartoon platformer like Ratchet and Clank of all things was gonna be next gen only while Ragnarok wouldn't be? Not many people I imagine.

Zeroing

Banned
The graphical jump from GOW PS2 to GOW 3 PS3 was huge
2 different architectures… people need to realize that now that Sony is betting on x86 architecture things aren’t going to make huge jumps between generations. Although consoles can be optimized further than pcs…

GymWolf

Are we STILL arguing about cross-gen?

Y'all a bunch of runny turds sometimes.
Crossgen need to be shamed into oblivion until jimbo decide that enough is enough.

The elden ring example is bullshit, that is a third party and from was never acclaimed for their graphic, nobody expect from them to show how nextgen is gonna look and their job is not to sell ps5 to next gen skeptics.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Pretty sure GoW is the last big banger that is cross-gen.

Spider-Man 2, Wolverine, and pretty much every other unannounced AAA game by their studios will be PS5. Barring GAAS, ofc.
A bit too late isn't?

Horizon and gow were my number 1 and number 2 gotg from past gen and now i have to wait 4-5 years if not ps6 for a nextgen sequel (if jimbo doesn't decide to do ps5\ps6 crossgen once again).

They "only" wasted the sequels of their biggest new ip and their best received ip from past gen in the crossgen altar, not exactly minor projects that nobody cares about...

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
A bit too late isn't?

Horizon and gow were my number 1 and number 2 gotg from past gen and now i have to wait 4-5 years if not ps6 for a nextgen sequel (if jimbo doesn't decide to do ps5\ps6 crossgen once again).

They "only" wasted the sequels of their biggest new ip and their best received ip from past gen in the crossgen altar, not exactly minor projects that nobody cares about...
This whole gen has been a clusterfuck thanks to supply chain issues and a global lockdown event. IDK what to tell ya.

kyliethicc

If its cross gen, than yeah. If it's PS5 only than we will have a new graphics king.
It’s not gonna look better than Part 2. The entire point is to use Part 2’s engine and assets. Make both games feel like 1 big game. Now, they may add some ray traced shadows to both games, or just give both games a settings bump, but it’s still just gonna be like a TLOU2 remaster. Not some entirely new level of fidelity.

GymWolf

This whole gen has been a clusterfuck thanks to supply chain issues and a global lockdown event. IDK what to tell ya.
They also sold a fuckload of ps5 (more than ps4 in the same period span) and you can bet your house that sony had similar ps5 hardware in 2017-2018 to make these games directly on nextgen, so it doesn't really matter what you say, i'm never gonna be okay with this shit.
If doing nextgen only games was impossible, why do we have demons remake, ratchet and returnal? Are housemarque and bluepoint more capable devs than santa monica and guerrilla, please...

This was pure greed dude, and nothing is gonna change my mind.

GymWolf

Businesses exist to grow and make money.
It was the same for the ps2, ps3 and ps4 era and we didn't had crossgen games (important ones at least) so people have all the rights to call this shit for what it is.

Also, i'm the final client, i give 2 fucks about sony having 400 or 500 billion in the bank, i care about having next gen games on my nextgen console, especially when i pay premium prices for the games with the new sony politics on prices.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It was the same for the ps2, ps3 and ps4 era and we didn't had crossgen games (important ones at least) so people have all the right to call this shit for what it is.
We also didn't have a global pandemic or supply chain shortages. Something tells me that without the pandemic, HFW and GoW would have been out much, much sooner (launch window), hence the cross-gen.

I'm not a fan myself, but that doesn't mean I am going to let it prevent me from playing Ragnarok. Other single player bangers (announced and not announced) should be PS5 only, and that's great.

GymWolf

We also didn't have a global pandemic or supply chain shortages. Something tells me that without the pandemic, HFW and GoW would have been out much, much sooner (launch window), hence the cross-gen.

I'm not a fan myself, but that doesn't mean I am going to let it prevent me from playing Ragnarok. Other single player bangers (announced and not announced) should be PS5 only, and that's great.
Well of course i'm gonna play and enjoy ragnarock or any crossgen game, but if a videogame forum is not the right place where i can write down my disappointement, i don't know what is...

Last edited:
It’s not gonna look better than Part 2. The entire point is to use Part 2’s engine and assets. Make both games feel like 1 big game. Now, they may add some ray traced shadows to both games, or just give both games a settings bump, but it’s still just gonna be like a TLOU2 remaster. Not some entirely new level of fidelity.

Naughty dog always push the visuals as far as they can. I expect it to look much better than part 2. I would be disappointed if it looks just like part 2. When i see a naughty dog game, I expect a new benchmark in production values.

Top Bottom