• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation has been working on NFTs and blockchain technology, Sony patent reveals

ManaByte

Gold Member
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...nd-blockchain-technology-sony-patent-reveals/

Originally filed last year and published this month, the Sony patent (via Gamesual) is titled ‘Tracking Unique In-Game Digital Assets Using Tokens on a Distributed Ledger’.

It covers a system which could be used to track the creation of, use, modification, and transfer of digital assets created within a game, and/or assets created based on gameplay of a video game.

the matrix GIF

feynoob

Banned
Hope this thing doesn't see the day light. It's horrible.
If either MS or Sony start using this stuff, it could end badly for us.

We are already on a war with mtx lootboxes.

I hope they are. As a company that sells a ton of digital "products" maybe this will lead to actual digital ownership. Maybe one day we'll be able to sell our digital games... but it's likely NFTs related to that PS Stars thing LOL Which is still about digital ownership.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
would you consider CSGO gun skins NFTs?

theyre basically jpgs that you own and can sell as you please and some are quite valuable. people lose their mind when they see the phrase NFT but there are a million ways to incorporate this kind of thing in a game and not all of them are bad.

ManaByte

Gold Member

theyre basically jpgs that you own and can sell as you please and some are quite valuable. people lose their mind when they see the phrase NFT but there are a million ways to incorporate this kind of thing in a game and not all of them are bad.
The patent literally has “Distributed Ledger” in its name. It’s for NFTs.

Last edited:

hinch7

In a lot of ways yes. A lot of skins are unique and are only given out in certain events and time of release.

Also, lol at people overreacting to this. Its a patent. Companies file them all the time. I bet most gaming companies are actively or have been working on NFT's in some way or form.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Hopefully Sony doesn't go into block chain/nft games, as I feel people online will defend it like price increases etc.

What other publishers have followed suit.

But I won't have a knee jerk reaction as it's just a patent and a lot of times nothing comes of these patents.

Last edited:
Top Bottom