• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation India Hero Project incubator program announced by Sony Interactive Entertainment

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Hopefully, we will get more classics like this:

jsNJFqa.jpg
Those 2 guys right guys are really smol

What's the difference between this program and the what the Indian GXI team is doing?

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/xbox-we-want-to-build-on-the-potential-were-seeing-in-india

I didn't want to get into comparison but you explicitly raised the topic.

Back to the OP, this is good news for everyone

I'm not saying Microsoft isn't doing any of the same things, the difference is the execution and scope.

We've already seen what Sony has been working on with teams in South Korea and China. Microsoft not so much.

CamHostage

What's the difference between this program and the what the Indian GXI team is doing?

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/xbox-we-want-to-build-on-the-potential-were-seeing-in-india

Yeah, good find, I hadn't even heard of this arm of ID@XBOX.

There are differences (Sony's Hero is more selective and small-scale, GXI with ID seems to be more a contact point with funding programs compared to the Sony incubation program, ) but it's the same overall goal of expanding into a territory by fostering the homegrown development community.

We've already seen what Sony has been working on with teams in South Korea and China. Microsoft not so much.

Microsoft has been active in Korea. Sonewhere around the time Sony started courting Chinese developers, MS was in Korea working to sign stuff like KartRider Drift and CrossFire X. MS also has contacts all over the world, and is expanding that with GXI in India, Africa, i believe Korea and Vietnam and elsewhere. They haven't had the success of the Sony China Hero Project or XDEV, ( and Sony has the big coup of signing the Chinese blockbuster Genshin Impact without either program,) but all of that on both sides is still bubbling.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
As competition for content gets more and more expensive and difficult to recruit, having built out resources across the world is going to pay dividends.

They kind of missed the boat in South Korea, so they're investing there and in Malaysia, China, and now India.

Difference between Microsoft and Sony.
I agree. They should have had a similar program in Korea. That's a big market they missed out on.

But to be fair, a company can only do so much.

But Korea is still kind of available. They can buy a studio or two there. At least, Sony is building partnerships there. Shift Up (Stellar Blade) is now a partner. NCSoft is another partner that I believe is making the Horizon MMO with Sony. I believe there may be one more partnership in Korea. So Sony at least has some presence in that region.

I agree. They should have had a similar program in Korea. That's a big market they missed out on.

But to be fair, a company can only do so much.

But Korea is still kind of available. They can buy a studio or two there. At least, Sony is building partnerships there. Shift Up (Stellar Blade) is now a partner. NCSoft is another partner that I believe is making the Horizon MMO with Sony. I believe there may be one more partnership in Korea. So Sony at least has some presence in that region.

They're working with Shift Up on the Horizon MMORPG. Same company that is doing Stellar Blade with Sony. My guess is Sony will buy them if these projects go well though Tencent already owns 20 percent of them.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They're working with Shift Up on the Horizon MMORPG. Same company that is doing Stellar Blade with Sony. My guess is Sony will buy them if these projects go well though Tencent already owns 20 percent of them.
No, it's a different company.

Stellar Blade = Shift Up
Horizon MMO = NCSoft

CamHostage

Curiously, MS has historically had good contacts in Korea. We mentioned the Nexon stuff on this thread, but also, remember back in the OG Xbox days, they had emerging studios Phantagram and Blueside on their side doing cool-looking stuff like Kingdom Under Fire and the vaporware Duality project, and also involved then in NinetyNine Nights?

It never really amounted to much, but I remember when the Nexon stuff was announced for XB Series, I was thinking, "OK, here we go, Xbox is making moves for Korea..."

Last edited:

Ansphn

As competition for content gets more and more expensive and difficult to recruit, having built out resources across the world is going to pay dividends.

They kind of missed the boat in South Korea, so they're investing there and in Malaysia, China, and now India.

Difference between Microsoft and Sony.
What do you mean miss the boat in South Korean?

nial

Gold Member
• Liam Croft
The first batch of PS5 games to be developed with help from Sony's new India Hero Project will be announced between February and April next year, it's been confirmed. Speaking during the India Game Developer Conference, Sony's head of third-party division Hector Fernandes and program manager for the initiative Sujith Sukumaran said the team has been playing demos and accepting proposals and will be ready to confirm the first set of titles from Indian developers in the first half of 2024.
This comes off the back of Sony's successful China Hero Project, which gave rise to PS5, PS4 titles like F.I.S.T.: Forged in Shadow Torch, ANNO: Mutationem, and the upcoming Lost Soul Aside. As well as providing financial support, Sony equips Indian studios with mentoring, training, and marketing advice to capture a worldwide audience.
Sukumaran explained: "With this project, we want to showcase the talent of Indian developers to the world. We want to appeal to people in India to fully support their development and showcase their games to the world. We also want to offer developers the skills and know-how that Sony has cultivated around the world and the experience of developing commercially successful games for consoles."
He then goes on to share how both the India and China Hero Project are now collaborating and sharing ideas, with a technical team on Sony's side aiding them. Fernades added: "It's all about the program, from how to commercialize and raise funds, to how to support and train game developers. What we understand and learn is something we carried over from the China Hero Project." Of the pitches received so far, the adventure genre has been the most popular, followed by first and third-person shooters.
Posting this here, I missed it yesterday.

Top Bottom