• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation is giving top Stars members ‘priority’ in customer support

Kokoloko85

They literally have to wait longer though, because they didn't get trophies or buy a lot of games lol. It's okay to admit this is a bonehead move.

Im not saying its a smart move. It should probably be abandoned.
But Im saying normal customers won’t be waiting any longer than they had to before? So makes no difference.

so happy i bought an xbox today...fuck sony and i cant wait to get rid of my ps5 and play all their games on PC in the future
How many times do you call the customer service that this news affect you personally? I am playing games for the last 15 years and I haven't called any customer support. Only once for a ps plus card that i scratched too hard had to call them and they never gave me a solution, i got frustrated for 2 min and forgot about that 15€ i lost.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Im not saying its a smart move. It should probably be abandoned.
But Im saying normal customers won’t be waiting any longer than they had to before? So makes no difference.
Fair enough. But if I understand it they kinda do have to wait longer? Say they're waiting in line and a pro gamer shows up, they get to literally cut in line.

DaGwaphics

Do Sony guys really contact support often enough for this to be a reward? I've been an Xbox player for over 20 years now and have contacted support exactly twice. Had a PS1 and PS4 and never contacted support at all yet.

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

JaksGhost

Isn’t this in place for most loyalty programs? Also how many times on average are people calling Sony support personally? Actually any support line for something that’s not bill related.

skit_data

As previously said ITT, it’s pretty wierd to openly communicate this but I don’t doubt for one second this is a common thing in all types of business.

Three

This is the norm for loyalty programs but I guess I'm a mid in this one. If anything Virgin Media and the like piss me off for only giving offers and customer service priority to new customers signing up then treat you like shit once you're signed up paying £80 a month for 4+ years.

Gamerguy84

Hear a lot of talk about Sony and their horrible customer support. I've had nothing but positive experiences with these guys including repairing a console free that ran out of warranty a month earlier.

This whole claim is a little suspicious with the usuals jumping on the F Sony bandwagon immediately. The ones with the biggest torches ready to burn it down I've never seen talk about a PS game they've played.

As usual this has probably been twisted and will wait for the facts.

Zok310

Banned
Exactly. This is why so many of those posts are so silly, you actually need to do a lot more for new/potential customers. That's why gamepass is 1£ for NEW customers, netflix/amazon will give you a 30 trial for NEW customers etc.

loyalty.ladder1.jpg
Way to gloss over what drives PS success, here is a hint;
When it comes to new customers, their amazing lineup of games already have that covered. Stars and customer support are not being positioned to bring new gamers in.
JFC some of yall kill me with the arguments yall be making.

Last edited:

nikolino840

Do Sony guys really contact support often enough for this to be a reward? I've been an Xbox player for over 20 years now and have contacted support exactly twice. Had a PS1 and PS4 and never contacted support at all yet.

Twice too with xbox 🤣 on xbox one via phone call and with series x a message on the support website ... no waiting line and no problem at all...maybe because no one buy an xbox and no one call 🤣

Last edited:

Senua

Way to gloss over what drives PS success, here is a hint;
When it comes to new customers, their amazing lineup of games already have that covered. Stars and customer support are not being positioned to bring new gamers in.
JFC some of yall kill me with the arguments yall be making.
yall come back now ya hear?

That extra perk you usually need to pay a business line fee for like FedEx or UPS to get expedited assistance. Kind of weird it's tied to buying games though. Hopefully it doesn't effect normal customers in anyway.

AGRacing

Sony you have your "we are going to be dicks now!" timing all messed up. You should have done shit like this 5 years ago once you had last gen completely in the bag.... not now after Microsoft buys a bunch of studios and is months out from starting a parade of exclusive content. Wake up. Have a PR guy read this stuff before it goes out. If you already do have one... replace the idiot.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Lol what, you have to buy 4 full price games to get the highest tier. I rarely buy games full price as I have patience and can wait for sales usually, plus my backlog is massive.

This is some bullshit, people defending this shite should be laughed at for sure.

For clarity, I rarely if ever need Sony support. It’s nothing really but why create this negative PR yourself or segregate people like this. It’s just not good business sense.

Last edited:

Kilau

Tier 4 seems like a very low bar to clear to me but what is the time frame to achieve and maintain it? I can't remember the last time I contacted Sony support, or Xbox and Nintendo for that matter though. Anyway I have no desire to jump through any community event hoops.

Mr.ODST

Twice too with xbox 🤣 on xbox one via phone call and with series x a messagge on the support website ... no waiting line and no problem at all...maybe because no one buy an xbox and no one call 🤣
Or maybe they dont have a bellend priority system?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
OP's post history checks out.
Yeah, bad faith thread.....

To be fair the OP isn't making up the news, it is being reported on gaming websites.

I bet they don't even have phones. Why would anyone call Sony? I don't know why they even have customer service.

I bet they still make the customer support reps use this bad boy

Sony-Xperia-Play-Open-FL.jpg

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
According to Sony, the Level 4 tier perks include a commemorative collectible, and a promise that “when contacting PlayStation Customer Support, you will be given priority in the chat order”.
LOL!!!!

Sony gamer waiting for CSR --> Hears music on phone or "please wait for agent" on text chat

5 minutes go by....

10 minutes go by....

45 minutes go by....

Sony gamer buys a game from PS Store while waiting. 2 seconds later.....

"Hello, this is Brad. The weather is fine isn't it? How can I help you?"

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hey you never know, maybe Sony's pay for best customer service will catch on.

I can see it right now at the Costco service desks at stores. Instead of everyone lining up getting equal service, a Costco worker gets on a megaphone and reshuffles priority line ups based on how much money youve spent there.

Anyone who's spent $50,000 or more there jumps to the front of the lines. Then $5,000, then $500 etc.... For anyone who has spent nothing at Costco simply wanting to ask a question how memberships work gets put at the back of the line. And he keeps getting pushed back until there's nobody left.

Obvious perk is obvious... the more money you spend in an ecosystem the better customer service you should get.
Same reason why Sony will send vouchers and priority ordering of their own consoles at the start of the generation to (presumably) people that actually spend a lot of money each generation. This was never a problem until now apparently :D

I call them everyday wanting to know when there will be a PlayStation Showcase. It takes them hours to come up with an answer and it's usually "sir, we don't do E3 anymore" or "stay tuned for another State of Play soon".

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

wvnative

As one of the most loyal PS fans on Earth, I struggle to think of any positive news from PlayStation since PS5 launched, and the things that sound positive end up being negative. Everything feels soulless and sinister now. They were never perfect, but this is the first time since I've been a fan that I feel like they've become borderline hostile towards the fans. If not for my massive library of games and my love of their studios, I very well may have dropped the platform at this point.

They deal with a lot of inquiries; anybody who has an iota of business knowledge knows you prioritize your biggest customers. That's how you retain those high-paying customers in your ecosystem.

Any single person complaining about this "not being fair"...well no shit, that's not the point of it! You spend more, you get more perks. Every business operates like this. I wouldn't trust people trying to say this is a bad thing with any amount of money over $5.

As one of the most loyal PS fans on Earth, I struggle to think of any positive news from PlayStation since PS5 launched, and the things that sound positive end up being negative. Everything feels soulless and sinister now. They were never perfect, but this is the first time since I've been a fan that I feel like they've become borderline hostile towards the fans. If not for my massive library of games and my love of their studios, I very well may have dropped the platform at this point.

If you have more than $5, have someone else handle the money. You're gonna need it.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I get $5-10 from Amazon occasionally and pristine customer service support. I think it's normal in business.

Oh yes, they got me access to Radeon VII preorder when it was literally closed to nearly all people, that's how I bought it at retail $699 when it was mostly $1,400 everywhere.

Last edited:

tmlDan

How is this hostile to fans? in fact, its rewarding fans who spend more cause they love PS.

It's only hostile to people who don't give af about games or the rewards anyways because they only buy fifa every year

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Jokes or not that's a great design. Wish there were some modern options built like that. Perfect for GP and Xcloud.
I had a company phone way back. Blackberry Touch or Torch. The one with the slide out keypad. It was awesome. Still typed on it 10x better than any touchscreen. Only downfall was the internet browser was so bad it barely worked half the time. Even just checking sports scores it's like the browser crashed half the time. The first time I had home internet on a 56k modem using Netscape it worked better. But anything business related like email and business apps were slick.

Top Bottom