• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation is giving top Stars members ‘priority’ in customer support

They literally have to wait longer though, because they didn't get trophies or buy a lot of games lol. It's okay to admit this is a bonehead move.

All businesses have some form of operation like this. You give your biggest spenders priority access which can include customer support. It's like complaining you go to a five-star hotel and upset you aren't pampered by the staff like the other customer who's spent $5,000 more than you during their stay.

THESE ARE BUSINESSES, it's what they do. If you guys are upset about this, but turn a blind eye that companies like Microsoft do the EXACT SAME THING FOR CERTAIN AZURE CLIENTS, then you need to wake up and smell the coffee. ALL companies give priority to their biggest-paying customers in some way or another. At least in this case, it's with something you usually aren't going to need if you have your accounts and cards in order, aren't trying to pull any funny business, etc. Stuff the customer generally has control over.

Imagine being upset about whales being treated like whales in 2022 :/

As one of the most loyal PS fans on Earth, I struggle to think of any positive news from PlayStation since PS5 launched, and the things that sound positive end up being negative. Everything feels soulless and sinister now. They were never perfect, but this is the first time since I've been a fan that I feel like they've become borderline hostile towards the fans. If not for my massive library of games and my love of their studios, I very well may have dropped the platform at this point.
It's all too sinister now, I'm scared too. I don't want to be stuck waiting at the end of the costumer service line. I don't want to keep paying more and more each time I purchase another PS5.

I'm afraid they'll become just like MS and go an entire year without a single significant game release and replace rechargeable controllers with AA batteries.

Last edited:
How is this hostile to fans? in fact, its rewarding fans who spend more cause they love PS.

It's only hostile to people who don't give af about games or the rewards anyways because they only buy fifa every year
It's hostile to non PlayStation fans. It's unfair and indecent. It makes me feel like a second class citizen for not buying their games.

The only way I can see them making up for it is if they start offering $1 trials for PS+, now that's a pro consumer move and something I can throw some money at.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Really?

So youre saying in order for Sony, MS or Nintendo gamers to get customer support, they have to first buy a product.

You'd think they would make some effort at pre-sales support. I've seen companies with pre-sales support so aggressive they'll offer to walk you through choosing items and checkout, LOL.

I don't see what is to support or defend here, tbh. It's a stupid, worthless reward that no one should need to begin with. 🤷‍♂️ The heated responses are gold though.

Twice too with xbox 🤣 on xbox one via phone call and with series x a messagge on the support website ... no waiting line and no problem at all...maybe because no one buy an xbox and no one call 🤣

Both of mine were 360 era via chat, first to find out that my OG 360 had outlived the 3yr warranty by a couple weeks and the second to request a replacement power brick for my second 360 (which they shipped to me very quickly, didn't even have me send back the broken one).

Last edited:

tusharngf

giphy.gif

I have only 14 games in my account and 1 platinum trophy for bloodborne! :(

tmlDan

It's hostile to non PlayStation fans. It's unfair and indecent. It makes me feel like a second class citizen for not buying their games.

The only way I can see them making up for it is if they start offering $1 trials for PS+, now that's a pro consumer move and something I can throw some money at.
I approve of this decision as well, they should hire you ASAP imo

Last edited:
I approve of this decision as well, they should hire you ASAP imo
I take offense at you assuming I wasn't hired already. You think Jimbo is coming up with all this anti-consumer plans alone? It's a team effort.

Gamers are so entitles they think they should have access to costumer support without at least a few platinum trophies to prove they are worth the trouble.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
All businesses have some form of operation like this. You give your biggest spenders priority access which can include customer support. It's like complaining you go to a five-star hotel and upset you aren't pampered by the staff like the other customer who's spent $5,000 more than you during their stay.

THESE ARE BUSINESSES, it's what they do. If you guys are upset about this, but turn a blind eye that companies like Microsoft do the EXACT SAME THING FOR CERTAIN AZURE CLIENTS, then you need to wake up and smell the coffee. ALL companies give priority to their biggest-paying customers in some way or another. At least in this case, it's with something you usually aren't going to need if you have your accounts and cards in order, aren't trying to pull any funny business, etc. Stuff the customer generally has control over.

Imagine being upset about whales being treated like whales in 2022 :/
This thread is sure delivering.

I wrote out a longer reply and then after re-reading it realized that it's best to just sit back and enjoy the show I guess.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If I put more money into a service than other people, damn right I want better support. This isn't about giving less to new players, it's about supporting long term customers.

Good business sense
Really?

In life, it's not like youve sunk tons of money into everything out there. So if you got a question and you've never bought anything, or have only bought a little amount, you're happy with stores pushing you to the back of the line while other customers leap frog you?

Ya, sure you love that.

Really?

In life, it's not like youve sunk tons of money into everything out there. So if you got a question and you've never bought anything, or have only bought a little amount, you're happy with stores pushing you to the back of the line while other customers leap frog you?

Ya, sure you love that.
I've been with my phone provider for ten years. When it renews I say "hey I've been with you ten years, sort me out a good deal" and they do.

If they said "go fuck yourself, we treat you the same as a new customer" I would take my business elsewhere.
Though tbh who the fuck is phoning customer support. It's a console, it works or it doesn't. If it doesn't, youtube it and fix it.

I had to replace the hdd in my 1x. I didn't cry to Microsoft support, I just bought a new ssd and did it myself while watching a YouTube video.

Fbh

Most companies do this to some extent, but having them state it out loud is definitely weird, specially because Sony isn't known for amazing customer support to begin with.

ANIMAL1975

The guy who got there first.

You're supposed to realize that you need to hire employees if you can't timely address both of them. They're both customers.

Honestly, you want NEW customers. You don't want to make their experience poor on purpose.
I'm an employee, i don't hire personal. Yes we are lacking people, but even if we wasn't it's a big hardware, construction material, electric tools store. You can't have one guy for each corridor, we have areas assigned _ one guy is manual tools, another is electric, etc. And we help everyone, even out of our work section, but everyday you have to make choices _ there isn't one employee for each costumer, not in a store this size _ so you show to the casual screw guy where the screws are and he looks for the one he wants, and you take the regular costumer to the electric tools section and help him make a decision, make a good sale and ensure that he comes back. That's just simple business strategy.
I'm a playstation costumer since the One, i had ps plus since it's first year, last year i joined PSNow now i am psplus premium, i want to be called by my first name and tapped in the back, i focking deserved it!

Neolombax

I've seen banks do this too. Treating your most loyal customer "better" doesnt mean they're going to degrade their service to other customers...at least I hope not. Maybe it just means that after waiting your turn in line, instead of talking to customer rep A, B or C, you get to always talk to Bob who is already familiar with your needs....because you often use their service?

Topher

Gold Member
I'm an employee, i don't hire personal. Yes we are lacking people, but even if we wasn't it's a big hardware, construction material, electric tools store. You can't have one guy for each corridor, we have areas assigned _ one guy is manual tools, another is electric, etc. And we help everyone, even out of our work section, but everyday you have to make choices _ there isn't one employee for each costumer, not in a store this size _ so you show to the casual screw guy where the screws are and he looks for the one he wants, and you take the regular costumer to the electric tools section and help him make a decision, make a good sale and ensure that he comes back. That's just simple business strategy.
I'm a playstation costumer since the One, i had ps plus since it's first year, last year i joined PSNow now i am psplus premium, i want to be called by my first name and tapped in the back, i focking deserved it!

If you don't have a rep for each customer then the customers are going to have to wait for their turn. But if you've got a line of people waiting for help you don't push aside the first three guys because they are not spending as much money as the fourth guy. We were all told how to wait in a line in kindergarten. I certainly don't believe for a second that I should go to the front of a support queue because I spent more money than the guy in front of me. It's absurd.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Most companies do this to some extent, but having them state it out loud is definitely weird, specially because Sony isn't known for amazing customer support to begin with.
Thats an understatement. Just reaching their chat or call lines was impossible during the first few months of the pandemic. My 2 year old accidently bought Doom Eternal's $100 edition while playing with the Move Controller (yes, true story) and even though i immediately caught it and stopped the download within seconds, I wasnt able to reach them for months during the pandemic. I eventually saw that if you start the download, they wont refund you even if you never logged a single minute playing it. Something they have been able to track for years.

I know it was the pandemic, but Ive always had issues with them replacing controllers and my YLOD PS3. Also, I was still able to reach Apple, Microsoft, Verizon and my credit card support center during the early days of the pandemic. It took longer than usual but they all had either chats or calls working. Sony simply shut down everything for months.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Pretty sure if a hotel VIP member with a million pts called a hotel, and a first time customer tried calling at the same time, the desk clerk will pick up which ever person called first.

Saber

Gold Member
Their customer service is beyond excrement though.

So I wonder if the premium player will have their "current" customer service, while the rest now will have a recorded audio saying something like this:
9QLD6wT.jpg

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So that's why Sony couldn't help me with my daughters digital codes.....we hadn't spent enough digital cash or licked the boot enough to get the good customer service lol

Last edited:

JaksGhost

Pretty sure if a hotel VIP member with a million pts called a hotel, and a first time customer tried calling at the same time, the desk clerk will pick up which ever person called first.
That's a lie because the VIP member would have access to a different line or portal not open to the general public. The VIP member would also be able to get better perks and guarantees based on their status, too.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
In all the years gaming on PlayStation since the PS1, I never once contacted their support.

Never on Steam either. Have with MMOs though, tickets were the norm in those games. Only once with Xbox for the 360 RRoD.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Protip: Sony didn't invent this. If you're in a system for a long time, you will more than likely get better customer service because you're more valuable to the company than someone who spent $5 and wants it back.
This, I don’t understand why this is controversial. Not all customers are equal, you shouldn’t have the same service as someone that spent more money and stayed longer with you.

This is the same as watch companies selling their most desired models only to existing customers.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This, I don’t understand why this is controversial. Not all customers are equal, you shouldn’t have the same service as someone that spent more money and stayed longer with you.
Never heard of this ever, anywhere. In the US typically you might get like a small discount or something for loyalty. Customer service is literally just people lining up in order to ask a question or get something addressed. It is never prioritized or monetized.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Never heard of this ever, anywhere. In the US typically you might get like a small discount or something for loyalty. Customer service is literally just people lining up in order to ask a question or get something addressed. It is never prioritized or monetized.
Almost every rewards program is like this. Not saying I agree with it, but they are. From Uber to even Best Buy, etc..

Cyberpunkd

Think of it as your private asset advisor at the bank vs. general hotline.

Oh noooo... a "rewards" programs that gives those in the program incentives for being a part of it, who would create such a thing... evil Sony is back.

*You are # 1 in line to have your claim denied, we appreciate your patience*
:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: you know damn well this is going to happen!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Almost every rewards program is like this. Not saying I agree with it, but they are. From Uber to even Best Buy, etc..
I guess I'm just unaware of it then. I've never had people cut in line at stores. I go to Best Buy for games. Sometimes they get discounts and things I'm sure. Anyway, whatever. Not going to keep me up nights, but I think it's bizarre.

Last edited:

avin

But this is how many businesses work. To use a common example, it's how airlines work.

You don't have to think of it as big spenders going to the front of the line. Maybe think of it as two lines, one is for the big spenders.

avin

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've never called Sony. What's the number?

Fake drama as usual 🙄
I called them 4 times, so there's that. Twice for repair service, twice for PSN issues. Once when my PS2 disc drive died and again when my launch PS3 got YLOD. Once when I couldn't play online despite an active PSN subscription and not being banned, then again when I couldn't play digital games I bought. Terribly slow service each time.

Imagine if fast food places did this shit. Returning frequent customers gets the priority lanes with no wait while new/infrequent customes get the one line that is out the door.
And while it may some sense to have loyalty programs like frequent flier miles and the like, customer support should never be locked behind a paywall.

JaksGhost

I guess I'm just unaware of it then. I've never had people cut in line at stores. I go to Best Buy for games. Sometimes they get discounts and things I'm sure. Anyway, whatever. Not going to keep me up nights, but I think it's bizarre.
If you go to Best Buy to get games they probably tried to have you sign up for their My Best Buy program which also gives you priority customer service access. Or you can buy the Totaltech membership which gives you even more perks including expanding the return policy window from 30 to 60 days. Almost all major consumer companies has something like this in place and it's especially prevalent in the US.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If you go to Best Buy to get games they probably tried to have you sign up for their My Best Buy program which also gives you priority customer service access. Or you can buy the Totaltech membership which gives you even more perks including expanding the return policy window from 30 to 60 days. Almost all major consumer companies has something like this in place and it's especially prevalent in the US.
Yeah, I skipped that shit. That's ridiculous.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Protip: Sony didn't invent this. If you're in a system for a long time, you will more than likely get better customer service because you're more valuable to the company than someone who spent $5 and wants it back.

This can't be real. Rewarded with better customer support? Bitch, I've been buying your hardware since PS1. You'd better answer if I'm calling you for support, no matter the tier.

dvkjf944y0l91.jpg

Top Bottom