• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation is the latest company to confirm it won’t attend Gamescom

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
gamescom-2019-1280x853.jpg

In a statement issued to German publication Games Wirtschaft, a spokesperson for the PlayStation firm confirmed it would not attend this year’s event, which is due to take place in August and will be its first in-person show since the pandemic.

Other companies including Nintendo, Activision Blizzard and Take-Two Interactive have said they will not attend Gamescom’s return.

Gamescom’s organisers claim that over 250 companies will attend this year’s event, but at the time of writing, only a handful of major publishers including Bandai Namco, THQ Nordic and Koch Media have publicly confirmed.

VGC understands that one issue is that many publishers have simply stopped planning pre-release game demos since the pandemic, such as those made available at events like Gamescom, and thus would have little to show at a big public show.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
To add more context, Sony hasn't been attending Gamescom for some time now. They still participated in Geoff's Gamescom ONL and showed stuff.
  • In 2020, PS showed an extended gameplay demo for Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.
  • In 2021, PS announced Horizon Forbidden West release date with more footage and a trailer.
So there may still be something from PlayStation Studios games.

Three

To add more context, Sony hasn't been attending Gamescom for some time now. They still participated in Geoff's Gamescom ONL and showed stuff.
  • In 2020, PS showed an extended gameplay demo for Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.
  • In 2021, PS announced Horizon Forbidden West release date with more footage and a trailer.
So there may still be something from PlayStation Studios games.
The arcticle makes it seem like gamescom was on hiatus for those years though and now that it's back Sony, Nintendo, Acti-Blizz etc are not attending anymore.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Let's face it the traditional gaming conventions are dead (except maybe for TGS) and they're probably not resurrecting anytime soon. Gaming companies have found it much more cost effective to do their own small events or just release video presentations on Youtube.

K2D

Banned
These shows are dead.
Why spend all that in multiple live shows when you can just do your own show once or twice a year?
People get more hyped when there's a special time of year dropping megatons.

I suspect main stream gamers are more susceptible to games news as well when there is one time of year they associate with new info on games.

The public events I couldn't care less about. I actually like the peek behind the curtains more (gametrailers and especially Kyle Bosman back in their hayday)..!

People get more hyped when there's a special time of year dropping megatons.
The only people that get excited are hardcore fans. Most people just run to youtube to watch trailers later.
And about megatons...we got multiple shows this month so far and still waiting for the megatons. Those days are over.

Kokoloko85

The latest State of Play announced us Street Fighter 6, Resident Evil 4 remake and multiple VR2 games while it also reintroduced us Final Fantasy XVI. I'd say it depends.

I want some actual new Playstation 3rd party exclusives and 1st party stuff. Thats why I miss the E3, TGS days of PS4/PS3

I want some actual new Playstation 3rd party exclusives and 1st party stuff. Thats why I miss the E3, TGS days of PS4/PS3
You just got TLOU Remake and Final Fantasy VII Rebirth this month as well.
They are still giving us everything...just not together.

If you think about everything we got this month...it's quite a lot considering we never even got a proper 1st party show yet.

Jennings

No point in having public showings anymore when public reactions turn into memes (Artifact, Diablo Immortal). Easier to just share teasers and footage with shills/influencers and have them promote your games and deal with the backlash for you.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Look at this dick:

6hl5dhV.png

edit - Okay maybe dick is too strong a word, but this is at least fanny behaviour.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

You just got TLOU Remake and Final Fantasy VII Rebirth this month as well.
They are still giving us everything...just not together.

If you think about everything we got this month...it's quite a lot considering we never even got a proper 1st party show yet.

I know, its been great I just want all my delicious news at once lol.
If they did TLOU Remake and FF7 RR and whatever else they have planned on one e3 like show it would make my year.

I hate when stuff gets repeated like Deathloop, Kena and Ghostwire. I dont need to see a game more than twice

Kuranghi

I do miss the big shows and back to back banger announcments, Sony's E3 2016 is easy to point to as the best overall, but I really liked the 2017 nearly as much even though people slag it off for the weird format, it was a really good show for me personally.

Reactions: TGO

CuNi

GamesCom was fun attending and I won't lie, I'll be a bit sad once it's fully dead but at the same time I felt less and less reason to go there as it kinda lost the feeling it had back in the day. Its been feeling more and more like a indie fest the recent years.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Rather have MS/Sony and the other big guys do there own thing but really sucks for them smaller groups that could use the exposure. Now they will turn to money hats to keep shit off other platform (looking at you epic).

Top Bottom