• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Currently Generates Over $14 Billion in Sales

What PlayStation Plus plan are you gonna get?

• Total voters

Bo_Hazem

Banned
psn-sales.jpg

During its corporate strategy meeting yesterday, Sony Group revealed that PSN sales currently amount to over $14 billion (1 trillion 800 billion yen, to be precise) across over 100 million accounts. Chairman, president, and CEO Kenichiro Yoshida said that the network remains Sony’s largest direct-to-consumer (DTC) service, and is an “important” aspect of the business.

One of the slides in Yoshida’s presentation showed that network sales generated nearly 800 billion yen more in FY 2021 than they did in FY 2017. Sony remains confident that the revamped PS Plus will significantly strengthen PSN, and plans to further collaborate within and outside the group to bring more content to PSN. One of the slides showed Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu, Pluto TV, and Apple TV as examples of these collaborations.

There was also an emphasis on strengthening Sony’s DTC services overall. PlayStation users will be particularly happy to note that the company has pledged to continue improving PlayStation Direct and expand the store in multiple regions, which is of more importance now than ever before following the PS5’s launch and the general public’s inability to beat scalpers at retail. “In the gaming area, we are trying to get closer to creators through the creation of content IP while also getting closer to users through DTC services,” said Yoshida. “We are also continuing to develop PlayStation’s own online electronic commerce store [PlayStation Direct] in various regions.”

According to the executive, one of Sony’s long-term visions is to directly connect with “one billion people interested in entertainment” and the purpose of this direct connection is to “learn from users.” Sony’s DTC push goes beyond gaming, into music, film, and television content.

In other news, the Horizon Forbidden West PS5 console bundle is set to launch in the U.S., and Sony is looking towards Bungie for help in going multiplatform.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I have an active Now membership. It depends on the future and backwards compatibility. If I can buy and download older games (and the prices are reasonable) rather than rent only for all gens (including PS3) I could see myself working backwards to the basic package. I'd probably spend more than the 60 buying classic games.

MGS with a Dualsense.
Alicia Silverstone Flirting GIF

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I have an active Now membership. It depends on the future and backwards compatibility. If I can buy and download older games (and the prices are reasonable) rather than rent only for all gens (including PS3) I could see myself working backwards to the basic package. I'd probably spend more than the 60 buying classic games.

MGS with a Dualsense.
Alicia Silverstone Flirting GIF

I don't play old games, so I think I might stick to Extra at best. So far only one game I haven't bought on Extra and seems like I would if not available on PS+ Extra, so better pay that extra for Extra instead as I don't replay my games after beating them.

anthony2690

Banned
I don't play old games, so I think I might stick to Extra at best. So far only one game I haven't bought on Extra and seems like I would if not available on PS+ Extra, so better pay that extra for Extra instead as I don't replay my games after beating them.
You should get the one month off the premium one, play ape escape 1 & 2 and get your Messiah BryanK75 to play it too and then get him to preach to your Sony boys to bring the series back.

Desperate times calls for desperate measures

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Honestly I'm just not ready to take the jump for game streaming, if the premium was to pay for the development of some fancy PS3 emulator and to support that for PS5 then yeah I would be all in, however since it's not Extra seems the way to go.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You should get the one month off the premium one, play ape escape 1 & 2 and get your Messiah BryanK75 to play it too and then get him to preach to your Sony boys to bring the series back.

Desperate times calls for desperate measures

Sadly, I never played any of them so don't have any nostalgia towards them.

anthony2690

Banned
Sadly, I never played any of them so don't have any nostalgia towards them.
Someone revokes this man's Sony fanboy card!

It was the game that gave us the dualshock!
I remembering booting up this demo disc and not being able to play it due to no dualshock and then buying the game bundled with the controller later on.
& I fell in love with the IP, and then lost interest in Sony with the PS3 once they killed ape escape IP with the truly awful ape academy games :(

joking aside, I do wonder how they've aged, as you use the bumpers to rotate the camera, I did find swinging the right stick to use your gadgets very fun though

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Someone revokes this man's Sony fanboy card!

It was the game that gave us the dualshock!
I remembering booting up this demo disc and not being able to play it due to no dualshock and then buying the game bundled with the controller later on.
& I fell in love with the IP, and then lost interest in Sony with the PS3 once they killed ape escape IP with the truly awful ape academy games :(

joking aside, I do wonder how they've aged, as you use the bumpers to rotate the camera, I did find swinging the right stick to use your gadgets very fun though

Don't remember playing it as I used to cringe every time I see the cover. Not sure if I've ever played it, honestly, but I think I never.

ToadMan

I think at this stage I already own the games I want - so not sure if I’ll sub or not.

Depends on the full lineup I guess.

But going forward, there are some games I haven’t gotten round to - R&C, Horizon, Sifu - if/when those appear on the service I’d jump in.

The game trials are also something I want to see. However they’re 90 days out from the start of the service for the mandatory games, and I’m hoping the publishers will just make them global trials and not limited to the premium subscription but let’s see.

If they’re limited to premium I’d probably sign up for a year since the trials would save the year sub cost of buying AAA games I’m not going to enjoy.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I have a proposal, a loophole if you will to exploit. Syphon Filter originally came out in 1999 on the PS1, that is true. However, Syphon Filter is coming out for the first time (a new game you could say) on the PS5. Just play the game in the first year of release 2022 :messenger_winking:
Facts GIF by Judge Jerry

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I have Premium until June 2023 because of PS Now.

I don't want to use streaming, so I'll probably stick with Extra after that. But if the Trial feature expands into how we all think it may, then I'll go with Deluxe.

No way I'm going to stick with Essential because the PS+ Extra/Premium value on offer is unmatched. 700-800 games and big-budget high-quality AAA titles at just $100 per year is best value in gaming right now. 🔥

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I have a proposal, a loophole if you will to exploit. Syphon Filter originally came out in 1999 on the PS1, that is true. However, Syphon Filter is coming out for the first time (a new game you could say) on the PS5. Just play the game in the first year of release 2022 :messenger_winking:
Facts GIF by Judge Jerry

I've played Syphon Filter back in the day a lot and beaten it like 3-4 times. Love the game but time to get a new one.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I've played Syphon Filter back in the day a lot and beaten it like 3-4 times. Love the game but time to get a new one.
High engagement/purchases of old Syphon Filter would prove interest in reviving it.

I'm hoping after the next Astro game that Team ASOBI remake Ape Escape. Such a brilliant and charming franchise.

So this is a call out to everyone who will have the opportunity to play legacy titles, fucking play Syphon Filter and Ape Escape... and Tombi.... and Alundra....
200.gif

Beechos

Stacked ps now for 3 years, that should be enough time to judge if i want to keep it afterwards. The game streaming works really well for older titles for me like ps3 and below. If handed the controller i wouldnt be able to tell if it was native or streaming thats how good its gotten. Modern games on the other hand play fine but the resolution is so bad.

ANIMAL1975

I stacked PSNow till 2024 (thanks whoever made that Gaf thread before Sony block the thing), but even if i didn't i would almost certainly pay for the premium _ i have plus since ps3 when it was not forced for the multiplayer, and my son wanted PSNow so he paid for it.
PSNow has been a good surprise and very helpful sometimes, you stream the game first and if you like download it for the best quality, don't like it just move over to the next one, simple as that.

PS: and i got sucked in to Black Ops 2 zombies again, fuck the ww2 maps should be prohibited. 😂

Last edited:
I'll either cancel it entirely once my sub runs out (very unlikely) or go with extra or deluxe (my country doesn't have premium so I need to understand all the details). Regular monthly PS+ games could go down in quality like what happened to Live Gold and paying for online alone is tough.

Based on the games that are already confirmed the value seems to be there and the trial thing adds a lot of value as well. I could see my self upgrading to the most expensive tier based on what I'm playing if I notice I'm not taking advantage of the yearly discount.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I'll probably try out Deluxe the same way I tried GP. I don't have any expectations/plans for long-term sub - but I didn't with GP either and then MS offered me 3 years for 50$ so... 🤷‍♂️

GHG

Gold Member
I already have essential for the next 10 months or so and I like to buy the games I want.

As with all other subscription services I'll only upgrade for single months at a time when there's a handful of games available that I'd like to try before deciding whether or not to purchase them.

Best deal in gaming

Can't wait to play all these games for free.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I think we won't get Tombi 😔
If i remember correctly, it was silently removed from PS Store because of licensing back then, I think it will be difficult to see it again.

Would really love to get the plat in both of them 😩
I have it on my vita, but it's not the same on the small screen. Loved that mad bastard in the PS1 days.

Gamerguy84

I'm excited to try the highest tier. I don't really play older games either but want to take a trip down memory lane and see how the fps and res boost makes them feel and look. Maybe it grabs me maybe it doesn't.

I am excited to use the service for games like returnal and other PS5 games. I was close to buying reyurnal but never did.

Maybe check out some PS4 games I didn't get to as well. Either way it looks like the service is going to add a ton of value for most. Honestly I'm pretty excited.

I too stacked thanks to R reksveks I think.

Calverz

The results in the poll more or less what I expected. A big mix. I think the premium tier isn’t really aimed at people in this forum as I’d imagine most have played the games on offer. Maybe the bc stuff but again most on here hve probably “alternative” means to play those games.

The free trials is really good in a sense that it takes away the risk of paying £70 for hot garbage.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Jesus...14 billion?

Jim Ryan needs to go. I have no idea how Sony is happy with this...

/s
It generates this much revenue because the vast majority of people picked up a PlayStation 4 last gen and invested in the ps4 eco system. With PlayStation making pc ports, and other multiplatform games, they are giving those users an option to leave this $14 billion eco system.

FingerBang

I thought I'd keep my base one since I already have game pass, but the game trials + the news on legacy games might make me go for the highest one.

The second tier is just there to make you buy the highest one. I doubt that will account for more than 5% of the total sales

Top Bottom