• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Launcher Could Be Coming To PC

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The entitlement to not click a program icon is hilarious

So the choice is you get Sony first party or you don’t, you’ll choose not to play those games?
That has little to do with it.

To not have your credit cards and personal info in a bunch of places is big deal to a lot of people.

But a launcher doesn’t really mean having they either. Steam has a bunch of games with third party launchers.

ManaByte

Trophies on PC
PlayAnywhere style dual entitlement
excited the waterboy GIF

HTK

Banned
I've been wanting this. I want to be on PC and enjoy my PS library, friends, and trophies. I'm in that eco-system and have a PC now and I want to use one launcher. I have a lot of games on Steam as well but when it comes to friends they are mostly on PlayStation.

That has little to do with it.

To not have your credit cards and personal info in a bunch of places is big deal to a lot of people.

But a launcher doesn’t really mean having they either. Steam has a bunch of games with third party launchers.

Oh no

It’s not like people don’t already do this with Netflix, Disney, hbo, Amazon, etc

yurinka

Can they make money by launching a launcher? How much are we looking for?
I assume their idea is that the PSN PC launcher would include a PC PSN store (so they would save money selling their PC games outside Steam or Epic Store), in addition to the PC Remote Play and PS Now clients. And well, pretty likely also crossplatform text/audio/video chat with console and trophies. Maybe even DualSense PC drivers too.

Basically, all the PC related stuff of their PSN ecosystem would be there and since it has the store could provide extra sales that gives them 100% of the revenue.

Last edited:
Wonder what they would do regarding the revenue split?

Match Steam or match EGS/Windows Store.

I think they'll take the Steam route but the benefit in Sony's case is they can tie in a shared license for devs/pubs with PS and have cross-proliferation of feature support on both platforms.

Not sure what they would do with crossbuy support; I doubt they make it so you buy a copy on one platform you can play it for free on the other platform, as that doesn't just impact their own revenue but also that of 3P partners. However, and I think this is what they're going to do, they can have a "free" version of the launcher on PC that is ad-supported (think the way Xbox OS has...well, a lot of ads), which could be for PC users without PS+ accounts, and they get all the basic benefits of PS+ Essentials (or most of them).

They can also pay for lower-cost versions of the other PS+ tiers though, to remove ads and get access to the same features those tiers provide on the console side, and if they decide they also want PS+ on console they just pay the difference to enable that subscription tier on console. Their sub cost would be what it currently is but covers both PS5 & PC, so PS+ Premium for $120/year covers the sub on both PlayStation and PC, all features synced and things sharable between both platforms.

And, for people who have a PS+ Extra or PS+ Premium/Deluxe sub, they get a discount on buying a game across both account. For example if you buy Game A on PS5 and you have a PS+ Extra/Premium sub, you might be able to get the PC version for 30% off the usual price, so instead of paying $50 or whatever there, you pay $35. Or if you bought it on PS+ on PC for $50, and the console version's normally $60, now you can get the console version for $42, something like that.

That's just one idea of course; they could do other approaches with crossbuy.

While this is good, what they really need to focus heavily is the PlayStation mobile division. I haven't seen much progress on that front.

For instance, TLOU 2 Factions, Destiny, Destruction All Stars, etc. should also have a F2P mobile port. They could rake in some serious cash with MTX.

Dunno, you want them to spending porting resources on native versions of TLOU 2 Factions for mobile? I mean I guess they have the teams for it but, still. I kind of like MS's xCloud in that sense; if you can just stream those type of games to weaker devices so that dev for native versions isn't compounded or potentially compromised.

But in general you're right it makes sense for them to boost funding for their mobile division.

This is basically final confirmation of day and date titles coming soon. Once this is ready, they don't have to share revenue with MS or Epic or Valve, and they control the platform base for their own product.

Yep. They were never going to even consider Day-and-Date on PC without having a means of not being dependent on another platform holder and giving away 30% of their profits. That type of sacrifice may mean less to a company like Microsoft because gaming isn't as much of a core pillar for them revenue-wise, but it does for one like Sony. They need to ensure retainment of that 30% somehow.

Having their own launcher/storefront would also be good in the sense of having 3P games on there; they could technically do something like lower the total cut on their end from 30% closer to 25% or even 20%/22% for any game that's on both PS and the PC launcher/storefront upon it reaching a certain number of copies sold (across either). Stuff like that.

That could make some sense honestly. Much rather have cross platform ps5/pc games than having ps4/ps5 games because the install base is deemed too small to make a next gen only version. By default every game will be next gen only if they do this.

Good point.

They probably want to still be on steam and just force there launcher after it like many other game company's are doing, just to be able to advertise playerbase based on steam+ps.

I doubt much people will care about there games if its not on steam, the games might as well not exist then.

They don't actually need to pull support from Steam, necessarily. However, they could just continue to use Steam the same way they currently are: for older games being ported to the PC platform. They can choose to not put new games Day 1 to Steam, and instead put those as exclusive to their own launcher/storefront. Then maybe a year or so later, they become available on Steam.

They could, though, do as you suggest, but how effective does that look for their bottom line and maintaining vertical integration without working out some deal with Valve that is very favorable for Sony? That's part of the reason they would want their own launcher/storefront in the first place; even if it took time to build up a sizable audience for it on PC, this way they minimize risks much better and if works? Great! If not? Then simply cut the cord, and by that point they'll have more than enough actual PS console owners to carry with business as usual.

It makes the most sense to try leveraging your gaming brand and establishing your own storefront/launcher and pushing that, regardless what uphill battle it has against something like Steam. You only take the Steam approach once you've exhausted all of your more favorable options. I'm curious if EGS will play any role in this for Sony's launcher, though.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Also, i fucking hate launchers fuck them they can die
Steam and GOG exist, that's enough, we're done, keep it that simple. Launchers are actually KILLING PC gaming. I want to go back to the days when everything was on Steam and developers just stuck with their fucking policies

The only way I'd welcome this is if it enabled you to get a PS5 version and a PC version for a single purchase. The way some of the XBox games are.

For financial reasons I don't know if they'd be able to do it for anything that isn't a MTX-heavy live-service style game.

So say they brought back PS All-Stars (they won't, but as an example); that could be a game that's full cross-buy, you buy it once on PS or PC and it counts for both. But other stuff like say Spiderman 2 (just an extreme example, considering if this launcher's coming anytime soon and in a way where they're doing Day 1 on PC), I think they at very least take the "$10 upgrade" style path for those where if you get it once on one platform you pay a small amount to get the other version as well, and they probably tie that to having a PS+ Extra or Premium account.

Or, more likely, you get the other version at a marked-down discount.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
so... Are you in favor of monopolies and lack of competition?
Steam is the one monopoly i will gladly support. Valve has been known to be significantly less greedy than the likes of MS, Sony and nintendo. If they do some fucked up shit the PC community will make them quickly regret their decision. And gog has its place because i like no DRM games and i like older retro stuff.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Steam is the one monopoly i will gladly support.
And no one is forcing you to support others platforms.

Valve has been known to be significantly less greedy than the likes of MS, Sony and nintendo. If they do some fucked up shit the PC community will make them quickly regret their decision
"significantly less".... Maybe because is significantly less bigger that the other ones. In other words: 'greed is directly proportional to how big you are'

. And gog has its place because i like no DRM games and i like older retro stuff.
GOG is insignificant.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Dunno, you want them to spending porting resources on native versions of TLOU 2 Factions for mobile? I mean I guess they have the teams for it but, still. I kind of like MS's xCloud in that sense; if you can just stream those type of games to weaker devices so that dev for native versions isn't compounded or potentially compromised.

But in general you're right it makes sense for them to boost funding for their mobile division.
No, I don't want them to use Naughty Dog etc. to create those mobile ports. I want them to create a mobile division and set up new mobile studios, hire like 200-300 developers, and set up 3-4 mobile studios to port PlayStation live-service, F2P, MP, type games and create new mobile games using existing PlayStation IPs. Even something as small like a Candy Crush game or a mobile Kart type game with Astrobot (and that Astrobot-level charm) might do the trick.

F2P/mobile games can do crazy numbers on mobile: COD Warzone, Genshin, Fate Grand Order, Candy Crush, etc.

it'll help them earn more money and expose their IPs to more people. More exposure will also help with PlayStation Production projects (e.g., TLOU HBO show). Then use that money to fund more PlayStation Studios games, grow more studios, etc.

I think this is a much more profitable strategy than some of the other strategies they are chasing (which are also fine, and they should chase them at the same time).

And this is why people prefer pirating PC games because they have to deal with so many damn launcher. Having Steam, Battle.net and Epic Games is already overkill. Just put your damn games on Steam.

So everyone should just cave in and default to making stuff for Steam? Imagine if Sega just decided to do that when it came to Nintendo, or Sony did that when it came to Sega & Nintendo, or Microsoft did that when it came to Sony & Nintendo.

We'd literally have missed out on some fantastic consoles and games. Steam is a "monopoly" in terms of market share but they've basically gotten that through competition and/or other competitors just not even really bothering. But that shouldn't prevent others from wanting to compete with their own launcher/storefronts.

No, I don't want them to use Naughty Dog etc. to create those mobile ports. I want them to create a mobile division and set up new mobile studios, hire like 200-300 developers, and set up 3-4 mobile studios to port PlayStation live-service, F2P, MP, type games and create new mobile games using existing PlayStation IPs. Even something as small like a Candy Crush game or a mobile Kart type game with Astrobot (and that Astrobot-level charm) might do the trick.

F2P/mobile games can do crazy numbers on mobile: COD Warzone, Genshin, Fate Grand Order, Candy Crush, etc.

it'll help them earn more money and expose their IPs to more people. More exposure will also help with PlayStation Production projects (e.g., TLOU HBO show). Then use that money to fund more PlayStation Studios games, grow more studios, etc.

I think this is a much more profitable strategy than some of the other strategies they are chasing (which are also fine, and they should chase them at the same time).

When you put it that way, I am kind of surprised with the focus on PC over mobile, at least seemingly. It feels like there'd be less overlap with mobile compared to PC, but it could also be the issue that Google & Apple would be royal pains in the ass to work with in establishing a revenue platform the way Sony might be wanting, particularly for the live-service/GaaS titles.

But I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

nikos

This is good. I hope to see more PlayStation games on PC, as I'd much rather play on my PC than PS5. No more compromises between graphics and performance for exclusive games.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yeah I always assumed this was in the cards.

I honestly don't really care THAT MUCH about outside launchers, particularly for GAAS games.

Nautilus

Banned
I mean, it was obvious that would happen.

Launching your games INNITIALLY on steam is inevitable, given its monopoly.But Sony also wanted to test the waters to see if it was viable to go third party, and it was a resounding success.

Now knowing their plan might work, they wanna ditch Steam's 30% commision by having their own Store on PC, and attract people by several means, but the main one will probably by raising their games prices on steam(make it 70 dollars there) and lowering on their own Store front(50 dollars or so).

I mean, that's what makes the most sense to me.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
So everyone should just cave in and default to making stuff for Steam? Imagine if Sega just decided to do that when it came to Nintendo, or Sony did that when it came to Sega & Nintendo, or Microsoft did that when it came to Sony & Nintendo.

We'd literally have missed out on some fantastic consoles and games. Steam is a "monopoly" in terms of market share but they've basically gotten that through competition and/or other competitors just not even really bothering. But that shouldn't prevent others from wanting to compete with their own launcher/storefronts.
I'm not sure what you're trying to argue by making the comparison to consoles. That's exactly why PC gamers are outraged.... they left console so they wouldn't have to deal with this segregation of games shit, and now companies are bringing it over to PC.
Also, sega technically did that when it came to PC- A lot of genesis games in the 90s ended up on PC.

YukiOnna

The entitlement to not click a program icon is hilarious

So the choice is you get Sony first party or you don’t, you’ll choose not to play those games?
For me, it's not about not doing it, just an absolute pain. Each launcher comes with it's own issues or creates weird scenarios in UPlay/Connect's case where I needed the launcher to even play the game despite buying it on Steam. Xbox App is horrendous, etc. Having to create multiple accounts for different launchers is what I'd like to minimize.

Daytonabot

Banned
I don't value Sony any more than EA, UbiSoft, or ATVI (but admittedly more than Epic), so I'll buy their games when they're on Steam or GOG. My installed launcher list is not going to grow. They can have their extra 20-30% of $0 if they make their games exclusive elsewhere.

edit: And if they can't resist publicly airing their backwards CA politics, I may not buy them even on Steam.

Last edited:
GOG is insignificant.

Sadly. They've done so much for preservation of retro PC games, it's been great. But they've been struggling a lot of these; I get discount codes all the time and still haven't used them even though there's a few games up there I've considered buying.

Maybe I should hop on one sometime.

Launching your games INNITIALLY on steam is inevitable, given its monopoly.But Sony also wanted to test the waters to see if it was viable to go third party, and it was a resounding success.

Now knowing their plan might work, they wanna ditch Steam's 30% commision by having their own Store on PC, and attract people by several means, but the main one will probably by raising their games prices on steam(make it 70 dollars there) and lowering on their own Store front(50 dollars or so).

Oh, didn't consider them doing that part. Hmm...dunno, would seem kind of scummy on Sony's part of they did such a thing. They already got some pushback for the $10 increase, saw the hell MS caught when trying to double XBL Gold prices, and outside of some stuff with stacking, have handled the transition to the new PS+ quite well. I doubt they want to piss off Steam players by artificially raising the price there just to get them to their own launcher/storefront.

What they might do instead is launch exclusively in their own launcher/storefront for 1-2 years or whatnot (at least for single-player games or games that aren't live-service), then release them on another storefront like Steam after that.

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue by making the comparison to consoles. That's exactly why PC gamers are outraged.... they left console so they wouldn't have to deal with this segregation of games shit, and now companies are bringing it over to PC.
Also, sega technically did that when it came to PC- A lot of genesis games in the 90s ended up on PC.

Yeah, Sega did do that, but they had different reasons. The Genesis/MegaDrive stuff were in markets where MegaDrive wasn't doing great anyway, like Japan. With Saturn, they did stuff like the NV-1 with Nvidia but Saturn was struggling in America where that card was pushed anyway. In places where their consoles were actually doing well (Genesis in US & Europe, Saturn in Japan, etc.), they did very little if any PC ports in those markets while the consoles were still going.

I don't think Sony are going to stop supporting Steam, that's crazy. But they're going to prioritize their own storefront, if that's what's really happening here, and as a business they have a right to. If you're a Steam-only person then you either decide if Sony's store has the value for you to use it or buy from it (you don't have to use it exclusively) or you stick with Steam. That's your choice.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I think that the choice is obvious. I do want more PC ports of Sony games. But I don't see Sony offering a storefront as robust as steam and with prices as competitive. They just doubled the price of their games on steam a few months ago in some regions.
I can always give myself a 100 percent discount if they price gouge their games on PC.

Agent X

One possibility is that this is merely a game launcher for Sony's games, and PC gamers would continue to purchase these games from Steam, Epic Games Store, etc., just as they do now,

Another possibility is that this also serves as a PC version of the PlayStation Store By doing this, Sony would enable users to purchase games directly from their PlayStation Store. This would eliminate the fees that Sony would have to pay to Steam or Epic, and I'm sure that's one reason they would want to do this. But, there is another, consumer-friendly reason why this might be desirable: It would easily allow Sony to offer cross-buy between PS4/PS5 and PC, which is something they do not currently offer.

Microsoft's online store allows cross-buy between their consoles and PC. Many people have praised Microsoft for this, and have been clamoring for Sony to extend the same courtesy. This just might be their method of doing exactly that.

As long as they don't remove their games from the other online marketplaces, there shouldn't be anything to complain about.

Hari Seldon

No one on PC will download the launcher for old games with no marketing. They either need to 1. relase games day and date on PC to take advantage of the marketing push, or 2. release on steam. If this is just a utility to manage PS+ subscription games then sure whatever, I'll just use it for a few months of the year when I sub to that to catch up on the sony exclusives.

Nautilus

Banned
Sadly. They've done so much for preservation of retro PC games, it's been great. But they've been struggling a lot of these; I get discount codes all the time and still haven't used them even though there's a few games up there I've considered buying.

Maybe I should hop on one sometime.

Oh, didn't consider them doing that part. Hmm...dunno, would seem kind of scummy on Sony's part of they did such a thing. They already got some pushback for the $10 increase, saw the hell MS caught when trying to double XBL Gold prices, and outside of some stuff with stacking, have handled the transition to the new PS+ quite well. I doubt they want to piss off Steam players by artificially raising the price there just to get them to their own launcher/storefront.

What they might do instead is launch exclusively in their own launcher/storefront for 1-2 years or whatnot (at least for single-player games or games that aren't live-service), then release them on another storefront like Steam after that.

Yeah, Sega did do that, but they had different reasons. The Genesis/MegaDrive stuff were in markets where MegaDrive wasn't doing great anyway, like Japan. With Saturn, they did stuff like the NV-1 with Nvidia but Saturn was struggling in America where that card was pushed anyway. In places where their consoles were actually doing well (Genesis in US & Europe, Saturn in Japan, etc.), they did very little if any PC ports in those markets while the consoles were still going.

I don't think Sony are going to stop supporting Steam, that's crazy. But they're going to prioritize their own storefront, if that's what's really happening here, and as a business they have a right to. If you're a Steam-only person then you either decide if Sony's store has the value for you to use it or buy from it (you don't have to use it exclusively) or you stick with Steam. That's your choice.
They will be doing that for whatever new game they announce going forward, and not retroactively do that for games that have already been released on Steam.

And yeah, they have increased the price for their games on PS5, and all that happened is that they are selling better than ever.So the quality of their games will easily offset whatever bad effect that it might occur for the majority of players.

But I'll grant you that making it exclusive to their store is also likely.Though if that tactic is successful enough, Sony will certainly never release their games on Steam, by the same reasons that Nintendo/Sony/MS don't release their games on other consoles.

Nautilus

Banned
No one on PC will download the launcher for old games with no marketing. They either need to 1. relase games day and date on PC to take advantage of the marketing push, or 2. release on steam. If this is just a utility to manage PS+ subscription games then sure whatever, I'll just use it for a few months of the year when I sub to that to catch up on the sony exclusives.
"Old games"?

Those old games would be Sony first party games which only place they were available in was on a PS5. If the game is good enough, people will go to a free to download store with zero problems.

Horizon, God Of War, Days Gobe were all "old games" that launched years after iys release on steam, at full price(or close enough).Each one of them sold millions of copies in less than a year, on a platform known to give games huge legs.Plus, there is also Epic showing that people are willing to download free stores when there is a reason to do that(Fortnite).

If Sony keeps putting out quality games as they have, ansd fix the lack of diversity of genres in their games, Sony will have zero problems with a Store of their own.To sell their own games at least.

I can already see it failing just based on PSN return policy and refund system, which is basically nonexistent.

I'd stick with bringing games to Steam and Cloud Streaming, but I'm not a CEO...

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Eh.. on one hand it'd be more PS games on PC, on the other, who knows what we could expect as far as launchers go. Apparently considering the big names that have already tried and failed, I'm not sure Playstation would hit a home run with a launcher out of the gate.
I mean - it strategically makes sense - especially with PSPlus expansion, but yea, precedent is incredibly poor here, outside of GoG I can't think of a single Steam alternative that isn't awful to use. And some have even been getting progressively worse over time (Looking at you here EA/Ubisoft).
That said - this is all assuming they want a store front-end. Equally possible is that this is just a continuation of Bungie.net and gets extended to all PS ports to PC or some such.

As stated above, this is good and bad. Really don't want another got damn launcher, lol.
Fun part is your list is only a small fraction of (active)launchers out there.
Though to be fair pretty much all of them are just glorified web-browser containers, outside of few exceptions like GoG and Steam that have actual functionality that warrants an app.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

"Old games"?

Those old games would be Sony first party games which only place they were available in was on a PS5. If the game is good enough, people will go to a free to download store with zero problems.

Horizon, God Of War, Days Gobe were all "old games" that launched years after iys release on steam, at full price(or close enough).Each one of them sold millions of copies in less than a year, on a platform known to give games huge legs.Plus, there is also Epic showing that people are willing to download free stores when there is a reason to do that(Fortnite).

If Sony keeps putting out quality games as they have, ansd fix the lack of diversity of genres in their games, Sony will have zero problems with a Store of their own.To sell their own games at least.
"Old games" as in the marketing campaign for these games was done months or years ago. Releasing games with no marketing on a non-steam store is a recipe for selling not many copies lmao. The super fans who were hyped about these games already own a PS.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Not sure what they would do with crossbuy support; I doubt they make it so you buy a copy on one platform you can play it for free on the other platform
Why not? They've done it a lot sooner than anyone else, and across 3 platforms. Obviously it'd be selective with 3rd parties (and maybe even 1st) but that's the case with everyone.
The bigger question is what this means for release dates - if PC is always the port-station, the value proposition is different (and cross-buy as well).

Nautilus

Banned
"Old games" as in the marketing campaign for these games was done months or years ago. Releasing games with no marketing on a non-steam store is a recipe for selling not many copies lmao. The super fans who were hyped about these games already own a PS.
But all those PS games I have mentioned did wonders without much marketing.

People don't get that, if somone has amazing exclusive games, and good store.People who game on PC won't care one bit if its on Steam or not.

But I guess only time will tell.

For me, it's not about not doing it, just an absolute pain. Each launcher comes with it's own issues or creates weird scenarios in UPlay/Connect's case where I needed the launcher to even play the game despite buying it on Steam. Xbox App is horrendous, etc. Having to create multiple accounts for different launchers is what I'd like to minimize.

PC gamers have to tweak drivers, swap hardware components, etc etc

Being a pain comes with the territory

TrackZ

I don't want another launcher either, but if I get:

- Cross buy
- Cross save/progression
- Trophies

Then, yeah, I might use it over just buying the same games on Steam, assuming they continue to launch Sony games on other stores as well. The question will be if games become exclusive to their launcher or put there with some kind of preference. Maybe they come to Sony launcher sooner than Steam.

Midn1ght

Yep. They were never going to even consider Day-and-Date on PC without having a means of not being dependent on another platform holder and giving away 30% of their profits. That type of sacrifice may mean less to a company like Microsoft because gaming isn't as much of a core pillar for them revenue-wise, but it does for one like Sony. They need to ensure retainment of that 30% somehow.
The 30% split always comes back on the table in these discussions. People forget that:

1. Steam Revenue split goes as low as 20% percent if it surpasses $50 million.
2. Nothing stops Sony and Valve to work a special deal. EA and Valve have one.
3. Running your own PC store isn't free.

PC bros love to warp on about the open nature of PC and then act like it’s Steam or nothing. So stupid.
Which has been earned by Valve for building their platform for 19 years and being pro consumers in most of their moves. But you're right, it's stupid.
In the interest of supporting competition, I should also buy my games on a store that locks games behind timed-exclusivity, doesn't have half the features Steam has and is 40% owned by Tencent.
I can't wait for Sony to enter the game so I can pay my games 79,99€, never get a refund and finally be enlightened.

Hari Seldon

But all those PS games I have mentioned did wonders without much marketing.

People don't get that, if somone has amazing exclusive games, and good store.People who game on PC won't care one bit if its on Steam or not.

But I guess only time will tell.
If a game is not on Steam or Twitch it might as well not exist on PC at all. If Sony is trying to launch their own store they need to go ALL IN with day and date games or it will fail, guaranteed. Even Day 1 releases are no guarantee of success if they are not multiplayer twitch darlings.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Sony will want that PS plus money from PC users for sure.
Maybe not now but by the time ps6 releases
And Sony can afford that, their main money maker psn will still be there. Considering the quality of Sony exclusives those who really want it will get it.

Multiplatform is not Sony being 3rd party and bringing their games to Xbox....come on now

This is the obvious path to bring Plus to PC.
PC users aren't going to pay an internet tax. The only reason you do on console is because you have no choice.
so... Are you in favor of monopolies and lack of competition?
Why are console people so worried about a Steam monopoly when they have boxes that can't do anything outside of a monopoly?

People want steam because it's the best. Steam doesn't even have a monopoly on buying games from Steam.

A new launcher just guarantees people will pirate your games. People don't even want integration with Steam as it's one more thing to launch (see uplay and origin). This is largely just PS fanboy cope.

th4tguy

It's funny how when talking about emulation, people will go out of their way to install multiple emulators, thousands of roms, finely tweak configuration files (often specifically for individual games), but when it comes to playing officially released products, it's " Steam or it doesn't exist".

I remember how apposed everyone was to a centralized launcher when steam came out. People didn't want to have Steam running in the background just to launch a game. Your desktop was the launcher and it was riddled with game exe shortcuts.

Everyone has their preference. I'm not saying anyone is wrong here. I just find it funny how some of those preferences conflict with eachother.

Top Bottom