• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Patent May Have Just Revealed the Next Big PS5 DualSense Feature

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A new PlayStation patent may have just leaked and revealed the next big PS5 DualSense controller feature. The problem is patents are a bit of a wildcard. A company like Sony files patents all the time that never evolve or graduate into an actual product or technology or feature. However, in the past, products, features, plans, and more have all leaked early through patents. In other words, sometimes patents are glimpses into the future, but other times they are reminders that companies experiment and tinker with all types of things that never graduate from this experimental phase.

The latest patent attempts to solve the issue of AFK. More specifically, Sony is working on a technology that would automatically pause the game or media you're playing when you put the controller down and it sounds like it will do that by monitoring input and movement.

"As understood herein, when a user puts down a computer simulation controller such as a computer game controller, the game does not know if user is away or simply not responding," reads a part of the patent. "Present principles make it possible for the game system or the game to determine whether the user has abandoned the game or simply is on a short break, so that the simulation system can take immediate action without waiting for the elapse of an AwayFromKeyboard timer. In example implementations the instructions can be executable to, at least in part responsive to the motion state being stationary, initially slow down presentation of computer simulation and an elapse of a period, pause presentation of the computer simulation."

bitbydeath

giphy.gif

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
What’s next? Your console will call an emergency phone number when you unexpectedly drop your controller?

Those Kojima games are going to be even harder for me to stomach if those long cut scenes are paused when I put down the controller.
Death Stranding, Dear God the pain, that excruciating pain of those cut scenes.
If you hate those games so much there is a solution for that.

It’s actually a very obvious one as well. You know what? I won’t even tell you, because I’m sure you figure it out yourself eventually!

Fredrik

I fall asleep so often from all the hand-holding and follow the path automatics that I think this sounds pretty awesome. Problem is I’m usually holding the controller in my sleep so I guess it still wouldn’t work.

Top Bottom