• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation players are buying Diablo 4 currency to bypass an invalid license error

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Diablo 4 is available to play now on PS5, PS4 via the four days of early access granted by the Ultimate Edition, and many users are encountering an error to do with license issues. This is preventing them from playing the game, but it may be a problem on Sony's end rather than something Blizzard can solve itself.
community manager PezRadar writes: "We are seeing reports regarding PlayStation users experiencing Invalid License errors. The team is looking into this right now and will update once we have more information." PC and Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One players have been able to play since the game went live less than an hour ago, suggesting it may be a Sony flaw.

those of us playing on PC have mostly been able to get in easily, with a five-minute queue here and there. The same can't be said for our PlayStation friends.
Obviously people who put down cash to pre-order Diablo 4 have valid licenses and should be able to log-in. Some players have had success convincing the PlayStation Network of this fact by throwing an extra $1.99 at Blizzard for the smallest bundle of its in-game currency available. As Azule says in the replies to Blizzard's forum post, "you just have to by [sic] in game currency and then it will lwt [sic] you log in… crazy!!"

Which is obviously a ridiculous thing to have to do. Fortunately, other players have found a way around the situation that doesn't cost anything. Downloading a free game like Brawlhalla, a demo, or something from the PSN+ library will remind the console you've actually got a valid license and you should be allowed into Sanctuary to smack some Fallen around after all.

TexMex

I did it. I know the cynicism and jokes are incoming, and maybe they don’t deserve it, but it’s just a really weird back end “error” that purchasing this $1.99 DLC refreshes your license and pushes it through. It was worth the two bucks to just stop fucking with it for me.

But there’s nothing nefarious here like this was built in by Blizzard to get an extra two dollars out of you. Just a bug.

smbu2000

The Sony tax at work!

OT: really sucks for the people who have to pay even more to play the game they’ve already paid for.

Gudji

jim-ryan-laughing.gif

I wish Sony and Microsoft would ban this practice.
I'd argue MS doing this "pay for early access" on all their major first party titles now is breaking the whole GamePass promise of getting their first party games Day 1.
GamePass peeps don't get their games Day 1 anymore. I don't care if they call it early access, it's not like the game changes in those 3 days or whatever.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I did it. I know the cynicism and jokes are incoming, and maybe they don’t deserve it, but it’s just a really weird back end “error” that purchasing this $1.99 DLC refreshes your license and pushes it through. It was worth the two bucks to just stop fucking with it for me.

But there’s nothing nefarious here like this was built in by Blizzard to get an extra two dollars out of you. Just a bug.

I did it. I know the cynicism and jokes are incoming, and maybe they deserve it, but it's just a really weird back end monopoly and "plan," that being strong armed into this Trojan horse armor refreshes your value to the capitalist overlords and pushes it through. It was worth my pride, physical labor and soul to just stop fucking with it for me

But there's everything nefarious here like this was built in by Blizzard to fuck all the gamers that have made their lives hell the past two years. Just a feature.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

It sucks for them but I think it’s hilarious it happens to people who paid extra for early access.

Kotick blocking the servers, waiting for one more MTX like:
reference GIF

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
MTX to start the game now. Where are we going guys?
Pay more. Play less.
Seems a little sus, Blizzard.
The state of gaming...
Can Blizzard at least wait until the MS deal is finalized before they start sabotaging PS versions of games?
Video game dystopia. Brought to you by gamers themselves.
It sucks for them but I think it’s hilarious it happens to people who paid extra for early access.

Kotick blocking the servers, waiting for one more MTX like:
reference GIF
you deserve the hellscape you helped build, the game
Its Sony's fault not Blizzard

"This time it's a PSN problem rather than a Blizzard one"

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I think they are just saying it is happening on the PS side rather than this is Sony's fault. I mean....it probably is, but I don't think PC gamer would know that for sure.

Buying something to fix it is damn weird though.
No one else was getting license errors but Playstation and buying currency through PSN triggered the license renewal so I guess technically me saying its on Sony wasn't true as its on PSN

My point was that it was not on Blizzard

Topher

Gold Member
No one else was getting license errors but Playstation and buying currency through PSN triggered the license renewal so I guess technically me saying its on Sony wasn't true as its on PSN

My point was that it was not on Blizzard

Well.....Sony or PSN, same difference. But yeah, I guess since these are transactions that originate on the PSN side then that's more than likely where the problem is.

Is this shit still going on today?

geary

I think they are just saying it is happening on the PS side rather than this is Sony's fault. I mean....it probably is, but I don't think PC gamer would know that for sure.

Buying something to fix it is damn weird though.
It’s not related to buying something, but to have an activity which checks your account. Mtx in any game or any download of a game triggers a check on the account and validates it. Its a weird bug, but not intentional. The media needed just a lunatic to make a mtx and jump on it for the clicks….and seems that the same happend here as well.

Last edited:

ToadMan

I had this just after launch.

I started a download of a “free game” (Astrobot for the curious) and cancelled the download after a few seconds.

D4 worked after that.

Coincidence maybe? But anyway it’s been fine since then.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It’s not related to buying something, but to have an activity which checks your account. mtx in any game or any download of a game triggers a check on the account and validates it. Its a weird bug, but not intentional. The media needed just a lunatic to make an mtx and junp ob it for the clicks….and seems that the same happend here as well.
Tonight Show Comedian GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

They didn't have to spend money. The issue is with the license server. Simply download a game demo to force a license refresh LMAO

Activision Blizzard thanks you for the extra money though 😂

BlackTron

Dude they figured out how to get paid for it not working. Blizzard putting their best forward on all fronts with this game.

Varteras

Gold Member
You have to remember they are also the types that pay to goto blizzcon (ephasis on con), to sit there and be marketed at like good little corporate cucks. It's wild.

When four of my guildmates, including the guild master, go to Blizzcon every year...

confused sci-fi GIF by RiffTrax

Retards will retard... What did you expect ?

Paying extra to play a game where you pay more to have cosmetics... and yet paying even more to access what they've already paid for.

Fuck those crayon eaters destroying gamming...

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Retards will retard... What did you expect ?

Paying extra to play a game where you pay more to have cosmetics... and yet paying even more to access what they've already paid for.

Fuck those crayon eaters destroying gamming...
Even worse people just reading a click bait thread title and didn't read the article and see its actually a problem with PSN validating license

Confused Jim Carrey GIF

Top Bottom