• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Game Catalog lineup for December 2022 Revealed

Hoping this is the beginning of the wheels turning for PS classics. Hoping for some genuine PS2 games running on a PS2 emulator, rather than ported PS2->PS4 games being touted as classics.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Great month!
Anyone played Mortal shell? Is the game good?
I played it at launch and enjoyed it overall. Made by a small team and has a cool harden mechanic.

Different shells (classes) play very different and have different skills. Along with this the different weapons play very differently too. World design, weapon and enemy variety, bosses are not on the same level of a Soulsborne game, so don't go in expecting such.

I never played any of the DLC so I can't comment on that.

tommib

This insanely slow drip feed of PS1 games really sucks. Oddworld is amazing, happy to have that, but it's just too little and not frequent enough. No reason to have premium at this point, the middle tier is where it's at and then IF they ever add a PS1 game you want, just pay the 5-10 bucks and buy it individually.
Ridge Racer 2 almost made me resubscribe. Give me 3 titles of that calibre a month and then we can talk.

nial

Gold Member
Is there a list of the PS1 games available on the service?
There are so few that I'll just post them:
Ape Escape
Hot Shots Golf
I.Q.: Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash!
Mr. Driller
Oddworld: Abe’s Exoddus
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Resident Evil: Director's Cut
Syphon Filter
Syphon Filter 2
Tekken 2
Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue
Wild Arms
Worms Armageddon
Worms World Party

Crayon

Shit that ain't bad. I've been wondering if my wife would like far cry primal for a long time. And she love Yakuza so this a good month for her. Actually she loves pillars, too. Yeah extra good month for her. She's obsessed with elden ring tho so maybe she won't care.

Neolombax

Quite a few of them have been offered before as the monthly PS Plus games, a bit disappointed. But there is Far Cry 5 New Dawn and Far Cry Primal, so I'm interested in that. The Gigantosaurus game looks something like the kids would like play.

Don't care about all the hate the game gets, Far Cry 5 was one of the best games of last generation in my eyes. So much fun.

My only minor nitpick is how right when I'm in the middle of having fun, and causing mayhem, those fucking hunters come to take me away to the boring lieutenant missions. You could literally do something as contrived as putting up a map marker once you fill up the carnage meter, and upon arriving at the mission marker fall into a trap. Forcing the player into these missions simply makes the player resent them, let them make the decision on their own to start it.

Glad to see it here. I almost bought it recently on sale.

Highly recommend Judgment for those who like the Yakuza games. Has some hilarious characters and missions.

As for Far Cry New Dawn: For someone who liked 3, Primal, and 6 (haven't played 4 yet), how is New Dawn?
New Dawn is honestly one of my favorite Far Cry games. It's a tight 15-20 hours instead of the bloated mess that is the numbered games. It fixes the infuriating problem I have with Far Cry 5 above by letting you advance the main plot on your own timetable. You don't have to play Far Cry 5, but look up a primer on YouTube to get you up to speed, as it's a direct sequel with returning characters. It expects you to know at least the main story beats, especially the ending to Far Cry 5.

Still holding out hope that they are saving games like MGS4, Resistance 1 and 2, Motorstorm, Killzone 2 and 3, ect for a hypothetical upcoming PS3 emulator that can run them in 4k/60.

R6Rider

Gold Member
New Dawn is honestly one of my favorite Far Cry games. It's a tight 15-20 hours instead of the bloated mess that is the numbered games. It fixes the infuriating problem I have with Far Cry 5 above by letting you advance the main plot on your own timetable. You don't have to play Far Cry 5, but look up a primer on YouTube to get you up to speed, as it's a direct sequel with returning characters. It expects you to know at least the main story beats, especially the ending to Far Cry 5.
Yeah, I finished 5, but didn't like it much. Enjoyed 6 a lot more. I'll have to give New Dawn a shot, especially since it's shorter.

Yeah, I finished 5, but didn't like it much. Enjoyed 6 a lot more. I'll have to give New Dawn a shot, especially since it's shorter.
If the ending was the reason you didn't like FC5, then know New Dawn explores John Seed's character, and frankly makes him uncomfortably sympathetic. Still an outright monster, but you follow his bat-shit insanity down to its core.

I honestly think it retroactively makes the story beats of FC5 hit harder.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Ridge Racer 2 is a nice pick, but the Premium sub is still not getting enough games to justify paying for it.

I also wonder what will happen to their Extra lineup after they run out of Ubisoft games. ;)

Yeah it would be better if we could see the expiration date of each game as soon as they are added. Valhalla is indeed a long ass game. I spent 140h in the game and skipped alot of side content.
The last months I kind of stressed my way through some games. RDR2, Mafia I+II, Onrush and its expiring online portion and currently Valhalla, which is really streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetched to insanity. Kind of thought about Pillars of Eternity too, since it's leaving also, but damn, no chance.
1 month notice is kind of fair, enough for most gamers for at least one game, but it should not be burried in a sub category or if you are lucky you read a news about it (pushsquare kind of has better infos than playstation.com themselves on the catalague with regional infos, but still have not added the Pillars info, which of ourse shouldn't be their job anyway)
So far Sony has started from almost 800 games to I guess now 900 since they added many more than they removed, but informing people when something leaves should be communicated by obvious messages on the console and also in the phone app.
Very much like info about what is being added, the info what leaves soon is again sort of an ad what can be played right now. Just silently disappearing seems weird and must disappoint some people who have made a mental note to play it- eg maybe planned Valahalla for xmas holiday-, but never got around to it, and just would have needed a reminder to start right away. Infos shouldn't be much work for Sony, making it easier for their customers and avoiding disappointments which benefits them in return. I think once they included leaving soon in one of the ps plus update mails, but just once. weird

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Extra continues to be fantastic, Premium continues to be trash. Great month, I already own almost everything being offered but lots of quality stuff to dig into for those who don't.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

I would get premium if psp and ps1 list was better.

NSO + Expansion is a better deal to me right now, much better deal.

Can't give a single fuck about the extra catalog of this month since I own most of it already. Good for those looking to play Yakuza games.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Honestly thought Syphon Filter 3 was this month. Shouldn't have gotten excited. The pedestrian was on my radar and will have a crack off that.

Markio128

Not bad at all. On this of rarest occasions, I haven’t actually played a few of those. Judgement and Mortal Shell will be the ones I’ll try first.

Elios83

I've played Ridge Racers 2 and it looks great in HD and still plays so good. How many memories with the PSP back then.

I've also tried Heavenly Sword and god how badly that aged, the motion controller stuff that wasn't considered good even back then is now almost unplayable with the Dualsense.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
I've played Ridge Racers 2 and it looks great in HD and still plays so good. How many memories with the PSP back then.

I've also tried Heavenly Sword and god how badly that aged, the motion controller stuff that wasn't considered good even back then is now almost unplayable with the Dualsense.

That sucks to hear.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
d61622d5ef3a1658214c6fd4d7188dad3848b0f7.jpg

[/URL]

PS+ Premium December titles:

Fj87ryQUoAQsiI7

AWESOME!!!

I ALWAYS WANTED TO PLAY THE SEQUEL TO SHADOW OF MORDOR.

It is one of the few Lord of the Rings games that I like.

I liked Shadow of Mordor...

We will continue with the adventures... with the company of "Chavo-ruco" or (kiddult)

Celebrimbor-610.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Hoping this is the beginning of the wheels turning for PS classics. Hoping for some genuine PS2 games running on a PS2 emulator, rather than ported PS2->PS4 games being touted as classics.
What do you mean? They are emulated pretty well and at higher resolution (quite. A bit higher)…

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Are there any PS2 games on the service? I’ve seen plenty of ported PS4 versions, but none that are PS2 code running.
All the PS4 versions are PS2 emulated titles (there was a patent around their “uprendering” method which I think is quite clever: essentially imagine if the PS2 had 4 GS graphics chips and each of them rendered the scene scene from a very slightly different viewpoint and then merged them together to create a higher resolution output… this avoids a lot of problems that would derive from you trying to increase the rendering resolution and tripping in all the performance hacks devs relied on).

All the PS4 versions are PS2 emulated titles (there was a patent around their “uprendering” method which I think is quite clever: essentially imagine if the PS2 had 4 GS graphics chips and each of them rendered the scene scene from a very slightly different viewpoint and then merged them together to create a higher resolution output… this avoids a lot of problems that would derive from you trying to increase the rendering resolution and tripping in all the performance hacks devs relied on).
I’m not sure you are right. From what I gather the PS2 games on the service were games ported to the PS4 and run as PS4 games.

nial

Gold Member
I’m not sure you are right. From what I gather the PS2 games on the service were games ported to the PS4 and run as PS4 games.
He's right. They're basically the same as the PS1 and PSP titles, it's just that they're running on an old emulator without any of the features games on the other consoles have.

Top Bottom