• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Games for May 2022 Announced

TrebleShot

FIFA 22 is the worst football game in about a decade, it’s shockingly bad even eFootballs latest update plays a better more realistic game of football.

First month I've personally been happy with in awhile. Wanted to check out Tribes but never got around to it, have played Curse which is alright. Could not give less of a shit about Fifa, but 2 out of 3 is good going as far as I'm concernced.

Barakov

Gold Member
wUpuhhC.gif

Nothing for me this month.

Will be playing Curse of the Dead Gods. Looks pretty good. I like roguelike games.

I might try FIFA too. It's not a game I'd go out of my way to buy, but I do enjoy the games whenever I've played 'em. I just am not in to them enough to justify a purchase.

NickFire

Not nearly as bad as NBA2K.

That is the worst sports game offender of the lot. Insanely bad.
Part of me says Madden is just as bad. But 2k really is the worst by a nose. Their packs have little grey area for mid rewards. Almost all are just wasted money for peanuts worth of cards with significant auction sales from non desired pulls.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Part of me says Madden is just as bad. But 2k really is the worst by a nose. Their packs have little grey area for mid rewards. Almost all are just wasted money for peanuts worth of cards with significant auction sales from non desired pulls.
You literally have to pay for dunks and styles, lol.

Aenima

I'm assuming fifa is full of MTX even in singleplayer?
The only MTX in fifa that im aware is in FUT mode, that is actually my favorite mode in fifa. You can buy card packs with real money and build a team with the players u get from those cards. But u also get in game currency that u can use to purchase those packs and thers also action house where u can buy and sell cards.
Last Fifa i played was Fifa18 and only took me 1 month to build a team with top players in FUT mode without spending real money.
But as far as i know thats the mode where ppl spend crazy amount of money.

I dont remember seeing MTX in the single player career modes. Dunno if things are diferent now, but ill check it out next month when i download the game.

The_hunter

The only MTX in fifa that im aware is in FUT mode, that is actually my favorite mode in fifa. You can buy card packs with real money and build a team with the players u get from those cards. But u also get in game currency that u can use to purchase those packs and thers also action house where u can buy and sell cards.
Last Fifa i played was Fifa18 and only took me 1 month to build a team with top players in FUT mode without spending real money.
But as far as i know thats the mode where ppl spend crazy amount of money.

I dont remember seeing MTX in the single player career modes. Dunno if things are diferent now, but ill check it out next month when i download the game.
I might check this out if the singleplayer is MTX free.

You can buy card packs with real money and build a team with the players u get from those cards. But u also get in game currency that u can use to purchase those packs and thers also action house where u can buy and sell cards.
Sounds really exciting. Seems to really capture the spirit of modern football.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

FIFA 22 is the worst football game in about a decade, it’s shockingly bad even eFootballs latest update plays a better more realistic game of football.

RydarGaf

I have some bad news for you guys. Now that a GamePass Ultimate like service is coming to PlayStation, the free monthly PS Plus games are going to get worse and worse.

You see it would be a conflict of interest if Sony were giving us Triple A titles per month like they were doing in late 2020 and early 2021. Sony wants you to spend $120 per year or $20 per month on PlayStation Plus Premium.

If you were to build up a library of free PS4 and some PS5 games, you would have less desire to pay for renting those games from PlayStation Plus Premium..

Similar thing happened on Xbox. XBL *Games with Gold* was lit until GamePass came along. Now we see nothing but low budget indie titles given away on Xbox. ALL the good stuff is on GamePass.

Xbox Gamers call it the "GamePass Tax" I was trying to warn people on YouTube not to listen to the influencers shaming Sony for not having GamePass Ultimate like service which cost $15 per month totalling $180 per year.

Back in early 2021 we were getting games like Control Ultimate Edition, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Shadow of Tomb Raider, etc for FREE from the PS Plus membership! That's what I was getting for a one time payment of discounted 12 month PS Plus subscription I bought for $29

PS Plus was actually superior to GamePass Ultimate until people kept whining for Sony to copy Microsoft🤦

Initially Game Pass Ultimate might be the better deal for new Comer to gaming consoles, but the old PS Plus was the better service in the long run as you built up a library of triple A title that got to keep forever, not rented!

But that's over now. Sony will never go back to that level of quailty due to people listening to click baiting yotubers without doing their own investigation into what the downsides of gamepass ultimate were....

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I have some bad news for you guys. Now that a GamePass Ultimate like service is coming to PlayStation, the free monthly PS Plus games are going to get worse and worse.

You see it would be a conflict of interest if Sony were giving us Triple A titles per month like they were doing in late 2020 and early 2021. Sony wants you to spend $120 per year or $20 per month on PlayStation Plus Premium.

If you were to build up a library of free PS4 and some PS5 games, you would have less desire to pay for renting those games from PlayStation Plus Premium..

Similar thing happened on Xbox. XBL *Games with Gold* was lit until GamePass came along. Now we see nothing but low budget indie titles given away on Xbox. ALL the good stuff is on GamePass.

Xbox Gamers call it the "GamePass Tax" I was trying to warn people on YouTube not to listen to the influencers shaming Sony for not having GamePass Ultimate like service which cost $15 per month totalling $180 per year.

Back in early 2021 we were getting games like Control Ultimate Edition, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Shadow of Tomb Raider, etc for FREE from the PS Plus membership! That's what I was getting for a one time payment of discounted 12 month PS Plus subscription I bought for $29

PS Plus was actually superior to GamePass Ultimate until people kept whining for Sony to copy Microsoft🤦

Initially Game Pass Ultimate might be the better deal for new Comer to gaming consoles, but the old PS Plus was the better service in the long run as you built up a library of triple A title that got to keep forever, not rented!

But that's over now. Sony will never go back to that level of quailty due to people listening to click baiting yotubers without doing their own investigation into what the downsides of gamepass ultimate were....
This may have been brought up already but you are absolutely renting those games that you redeem through PlayStation Plus.

RydarGaf

This may have been brought up already but you are absolutely renting those games that you redeem through PlayStation Plus.
Once you claim games on PS Plus you get to keep them as long as your subscription to PS Plus remains active.
On GamePass, the games will eventually leave the service even if you are still an active paying subscriber

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Once you claim games on PS Plus you get to keep them as long as your subscription to PS Plus remains active.
On GamePass, the games will eventually leave the service even if you are still an active paying subscriber
Yeah but like you mentioned, you have to be an active paying subscriber so you are just renting or leasing the game license. I don't play many online games on my PS4 so I may subscribe for month or two a year so your description of one service being a rental service and one not being didn't really ring true to me. I do get what you're saying though now, I just don't think the analogy works. Semantics

I do think your point about expecting an impact on the qaulity of games offered through PS Plus is spot on. Although to me the trade off will be a net positive and worth it.

RydarGaf

Yeah but like you mentioned, you have to be an active paying subscriber so you are just renting or leasing the game license. I don't play many online games on my PS4 so I may subscribe for month or two a year so your description of one service being a rental service and one not being didn't really ring true to me. I do get what you're saying though now, I just don't think the analogy works. Semantics

I do think your point about expecting an impact on the qaulity of games offered through PS Plus is spot on. Although to me the trade off will be a net positive and worth it.
Let's say I allow my subscription to PS plus to expire. I take a year break from gaming. After one year, I decide to log back into my PSN account. I renew my subscription PlayStation Plus. I will regain access and the ability to play any game I ever got for free PS Plus because those are permently lisensed to my account.

Now let's compare that to ANY kind of rental service. Ie an apartment. You stopped paying rent to your landlord for year because you moved out to go stay with your girlfriend. You and her break up. You try to move back into your old old place, BUT you can't because your land lord has rented out your former unit to someone else.

GamePass Example: I downloaded hundreds of games and have them installed on my hard drive. Stopped gaming for a year and canceled my subscription. When I log back on to Xbox Live a year later, I discover most of the games I have installed have rotated out of GamePass service and now are unplayable. I must now delete them from my hard drive.

Even worse, a few of those games have been permanently removed from xbox digital store and physical outlets. It's no longer for sale as the game is based on copyright franshizes such as star wars, transformers, or a marvel characters or something. There is no way to ever play those games again unless the publisher renews their copyright contract with the rights owner such as Disney or something.

Here is how PS Plus quasi ownership saved me.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers:_Devastation

"Devastation was the final game released under Activision's 2006 licensing agreement with Hasbro. Following the deal's expiration, the game was removed from sale via digital storefronts in December 2017, alongside other Transformers games published by Activision.[2]"

The Transformers: Devastation game which I claimed for free as PS Plus member when it was available, IS STILL MINES to download and play whenever I want even though anyone who has ever rented the game from PS Now or waited to late it buy it can NEVER play that game again even if they are willing to pay above retail price to get it or maintain their ps now membership.

I believe even if Sony was to go out of business and permently shutdown PSN, they would let their former customers keep all those ps plus games downloaded to their consoles. The only issue being is we would have to back those games up onto external storage drives.

It for the reasons I listed above while I personally don't feel like PS Plus is a rental service because there is some level of ownership there. Heck, they even send me email describing claimed Ps Plus games as "purchased"

Sorry for the long reply lol

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Let's say I allow my subscription to PS plus to expire. I take a year break from gaming. After one year, I decide to log back into my PSN account. I renew my subscription PlayStation Plus. I will regain access and the ability to play any game I ever got for free PS Plus because those are permently lisensed to my account.

Now let's compare that to ANY kind of rental service. Ie an apartment. You stopped paying rent to your landlord for year because you moved out to go stay with your girlfriend. You and her break up. You try to move back into your old old place, BUT you can't because your land lord has rented out your former unit to someone else.

GamePass Example: I downloaded hundreds of games and have them installed on my hard drive. Stopped gaming for a year and canceled my subscription. When I log back on to Xbox Live a year later, I discover most of the games I have installed have rotated out of GamePass service and now are unplayable. I must now delete them from my hard drive.

Even worse, a few of those games have been permanently removed from xbox digital store and physical outlets. It's no longer for sale as the game is based on copyright franshizes such as star wars, transformers, or a marvel characters or something. There is no way to ever play those games again unless the publisher renews their copyright contract with the rights owner such as Disney or something.

Here is how PS Plus quasi ownership saved me.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers:_Devastation

"Devastation was the final game released under Activision's 2006 licensing agreement with Hasbro. Following the deal's expiration, the game was removed from sale via digital storefronts in December 2017, alongside other Transformers games published by Activision.[2]"

The Transformers: Devastation game which I claimed for free as PS Plus member when it was available, IS STILL MINES to download and play whenever I want even though anyone who has ever rented the game from PS Now or waited to late it buy it can NEVER play that game again even if they are willing to pay above retail price to get it or maintain their ps now membership.

I believe even if Sony was to go out of business and permently shutdown PSN, they would let their former customers keep all those ps plus games downloaded to their consoles. The only issue being is we would have to back those games up onto external storage drives.

It for the reasons I listed above while I personally don't feel like PS Plus is a rental service because there is some level of ownership there. Heck, they even send me email describing claimed Ps Plus games as "purchased"

Sorry for the long reply lol
Lol yeah a long very long reply but it's all good. I totally understand what your saying and I know it's just semantics but again you just described a rental service. If I go to red box and pay money, I get access to a license to watch a movie play game. I can then not pay for a year and go back and pay for the license again. The only difference is the catalog available to you depends on the particular months you decide to pay for membership. Just because the distribution model is different does not mean you are not renting these licenses. There is no ownership. It may "feel" like it to you because you are a reoccurring customer, but that is just a feeling you have. Stop paying for ps Plus and I bet that feeling would change.

About the keeping the games if psn shut down. The agreements that Sony makes with publishers about the availability and access to a particular game license is contingent on the service being available. If PSN is ever shut down, Sony doesn't have the legal ability to permanently transfer that game license to your account. You would indeed lose access to all accumulated games.

The only reason MS even allows you to keep 360 games you accrue through their service is because of existing publisher agreements that were made when MS didn't have the ability to offer temporary licenses, they have since added that ability when they setting up digital distribution for Xbox one games.

Top Bottom