• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation quietly pulls Gran Turismo 7 from sale in Russia

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It's funny how companies are quick to pull sale of goods from Russians because of a War they didn't ask for initiated by their corrupt government, yet these same companies bend over backwards for China who's government is just as, if not worse than Russia's.
? This was a response to Russia invading another country. Not a response to “corrupt government”. Nice hand waving there.

Boss Mog

We have a public tv station what we the people pay for and the government can’t meddle in! It’s called public service!
c681342144deaebf87baf40774f6579b.gif

BlackM1st

Banned
Infact, this is accusatory to bring anger in people in logical consensus of asking questions. No one is this stupid mate.
No. There's "we" and there's "they". Our mortal enemies . "Mordor". "Worse than Hitler!" . Dehumanizing Russians is the only way.

So stop asking questions, fall in line mate.

TheTony316

Same with Saudis chopping a journalist in their embassy. Hypocrisy. Simple as that. No right or wrong. Just a political agenda, virtue signaling and fear of losing money.

Yeah unfortunately. Political bs and the ones who have to suffer through it are the general population. Just like always.

Hoddi

I don't like this trend. It's one thing to sanction Russian exports because those bring money into the county. But moves like this don't punish anyone except the public.

I think the younger generation needs to be exposed to outside influences because they'll otherwise just fall back into line with the state. Even if it means just seeing a bunch of car liveries with the Ukraine flag.

BlackM1st

Banned
I don't like this trend. It's one thing to sanction Russian exports because those bring money into the county. But moves like this don't punish anyone except the public.

I think the younger generation needs to be exposed to outside influences because they'll otherwise just fall back into line with the state. Even if it means just seeing a bunch of car liveries with the Ukraine flag.

Word.

Look how "successful" sanctions were against Cuba, N.Korea and Iran. Now compare those countries to Russia.

Think what average Russian guy would think of the western companies/western gaming community too

Such actions doesn't do shit.

If they care so much about Ukraine (lolno) they should support it financially and maybe direct all their money made in Russia to support a humanitarian mission for Ukrainian people.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Man some of you people are fucking stupid (or are Russian trolls). What do you think we (as in the US and Europe) should do?

“Well, the US invaded Iraq and that was also bad. So I guess it’s fair for Russia to have Ukraine!”

Is that what you believe? If not, we basically have two options. Hot war with Russia or else sanction the shit out of them and inflict severe economic pain. Which do you prefer?

Fahdis

No. There's "we" and there's "they". Our mortal enemies . "Mordor". "Worse than Hitler!" . Dehumanizing Russians is the only way.

So stop asking questions, fall in line mate.

I remember asking the same questions during the Iraq and Afghanistan war. Such unwanted deaths. So we had loss of life due to terrorist attacks on American Soil which is a tragedy on its own, so we're going to go abroad, invade a country for years and literally carpet bomb civilians (they are sub-humans as per propaganda) because Guerilla Warfare and now all of a sudden think we have the moral high ground? I don't know man... we have a lot to atone for as a nation. And imagine all those brave Army guys of ours dying there. What a waste.

I believe Putin needs to fuck off with his tyrant bullshit and Ukraine deserves its autonomy/diplomacy, but we should also look deep within our own systems to see where hypocrisy lies. I hope the peace talks in Turkey end up causing the war to stop, but then we need to also ask the same questions for the Proxy wars by our western countries in the Middle East.

Last edited:

Fahdis

Man some of you people are fucking stupid (or are Russian trolls). What do you think we (as in the US and Europe) should do?

“Well, the US invaded Iraq and that was also bad. So I guess it’s fair for Russia to have Ukraine!”

Is that what you believe? If not, we basically have two options. Hot war with Russia or else sanction the shit out of them and inflict severe economic pain. Which do you prefer?

I see you're American and a family man with that Guile avatar (I think). As a fellow American/Canadian with South Asian background (marked as Middle Eastern by Western Civs) I need to ask you something. Why are we "fucking stupid" to ask questions because we are just asking them? We should also keep our governments in check for their hypocrisy. Let me just kind of make some points with a disclaimer that this is less about Ukraine right now and just a 1 to 1 with another American.

- Why do we believe our media outlets with the narrative and propaganda that they constantly throw at us?
- Why is there a constant boogeyman to keep us under perpetual fear?
- Why don't we ask questions like where did OBL come from or WMD's came from in Iraq? And if these things are proven to be false to go to war then Why can't we take the President, his Oligarch buddies to the Hague and the ICJ for warcrimes and for having our boys killed in foreign lands?
- Sanctions do not do anything especially since it usually backfires with Nationalist sentiment. Also why is it half assed? Why not 100%? They are still buying half a million barrels of oil EVERYDAY.
- Why do we allow China to cause Genocide to Uyghurs and Israel to subjugate Palestinians? If laws are the same, why this favoritism?
- Why is Saudi allowed to thrive? Indiscriminately kill people in their embassy? And cause a sectarian war with Yemen?

We also don't have a good human rights record by the way:

- We caused a genocide in the Americas to the Natives
- We are the only nation in history to cause a Japanese Civilian Genocide with Nukes
- We were arming Germany and Britain at the same time during WW1 and 2 until we got involved
- We turned the Ashkenazi European Jews away from America who were refugees after the war
- We got caught in Cuba with the Bay of Pigs Incident
- We went to Saigon to fight "dirty" communists
- We went to Iraq under the pretext of WMD's
- We didn't find OBL in Afghanistan and the Taliban are back... We Failed much like the Soviets did.
... and there is so much more.

If we really wanted to tame Putin we would have taken pre-meditated measure otherwise then war is inevitable because his agenda is literally annexing Europe all the way to Germany's borders and re-enact the old Soviet Borders to keep a Bloc against NATO with the Warsaw Pact. We as civilians from any side cannot do anything about it. The countries who abstained in the UN Vote need to pressurize to completely sanction or come to terms with peace talks, especially China. Its unfortunate but we aren't the leading world hegemon with the influence we had once anymore.

BlackM1st

Banned
If we really wanted to tame Putin we would have taken pre-meditated measure otherwise then war is inevitable because his agenda is literally annexing Europe all the way to Germany's borders and re-enact the old Soviet Borders to keep a Bloc against NATO with the Warsaw Pact.
Hardly. It IS the main narrative rn ofc, but what do you expect politicians to say? "Not a big deal, don't worry folks"? Nah. Everyone would like to exploit current situation.

Russia can barely bite it, let alone chew through so much territory.

So far it looks like Eastern Ukraine (with a more loyal population) is Putin's endgame.

Was it worth it? He seems to believe so.

What would happen next? God I bet even the best intelligence agencies can't give you a straight answer.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Seeing the “it’s comparable to” comments with respect to the invasion in these threads. It’s really not. There are so many things that are different it’s not feasible to list from the direct threat of nuclear warfare from another superpower with a large nuclear armament, to the direct targeting of nuclear reactors in an attempt to hold them hostage.

Anything involving Russia is extremely complicated and requires an in-depth knowledge of history such as the rise of orthodoxy, the creation and fall of the Soviet Union, isolationism, the creation of NATO and its purpose, Bolshevism, the Romanovs, not to mention a robust understanding of Vladimir Putin. These are just a few things.

It’s not something most people (including myself) understand fully and it’s clearly nobody here does either based on some of the asinine comments being made.

A game company deciding to not sell games in Russia shouldn’t be news at all at this point. It should be expected and not really up for debate.

Last edited:

Fahdis

Hardly. It IS the main narrative rn ofc, but what do you expect politicians to say? "Not a big deal, don't worry folks"? Nah. Everyone would like to exploit current situation.

Russia can barely bite it, let alone chew through so much territory.

So far it looks like Eastern Ukraine (with a more loyal population) is Putin's endgame.

Was it worth it? He seems to believe so.

What would happen next? God I bet even the best intelligence agencies can't give you a straight answer.

You really believe thats the endgame? I think its a prelude to whats to come due to wanting self determination from the NATO Bloc. I think its the same way they invaded Georgia and annexed some territories and of course Crimea for access to the Black Sea. Ugghhh.. Russia is sort of annoying but so is NATO. The ones who suffer are literally going to be Post Soviet nations fighting for influence. Its like the Berlin Wall... only with countries. The Cold War was on hiatus.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
You really believe thats the endgame?
I just don't know. Plans do change. No one could imagine that he would actually go there knowing everything he would risk.

I also don't believe that Russia can threaten NATO alliance when NATOs budget is 17 times bigger.

Bite smaller countries? What for? People there doesn't want to be in Russia. Occupation? Too expensive and risky. Russia is no Soviet Union by ANY means.

Some say that Putin is "crazy because he threatens NATO with a nuclear option". To me it's only logical IF you consider the fact that otherwise he can't win against NATO.

That's the only thing he can be sure that NATO would not get involved.

Plus it's a great way for NATO to stay away from Ukraine while maintaining its moral high ground. "NATO haven't abandoned Ukraine you guys, it's just Putin is a nuclear maniac! Otherwise we would be there already!"

scalman

this just small step ok ... saying from being near that war ... but how long their economy gonna last .. i mean its gonna collapse soon. ... very soon ... and every other country that was affected by that area will be affected .... this will be hard times ...
still it needs to be done... everyone thought russia has like monstreus army ... and now we see that its failing on all stuff...
whos gonna use that first then ...
most ppl just have no idea what they talk about here ..we where part of USSR , or CCCP before...stop talking some nonsence.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I remember hearing Russians torrent everything, I always wanted to go to Moscow.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
everyone thought russia has like monstreus army ... and now we see that its failing on all stuff...
I'll preface this by saying that they do have a large army and are currently committing just under 1/3 of their entire force in the invasion. The remaining 2/3's is still extremely large. Below is a few reasons of the top of my head they are most likely taking longer than anticipated:

1) The Russian military have older weapons and military technology so they had decided to focus on deterrence through the accruement of nuclear weapon stockpiles. This has led them to have one of the largest stockpiles amongst super-powers. So far, that has been very successful and is proving to be so right now.

2) The disorganization you are seeing may be due to the way they've positioned their units along the border. This is indicative that this invasion wasn't really planned and another plan was in place which may have fell through and may have been a "f$ck. lets go for it" by Putin. Proof of this is in the way their convoys and tanks are stretched and not brigaded, have poor air support and have poor supplies. Russia's generals are actually not stupid (they are decorated and have experience) and have probably had to tape this thing together based on a snap decision. Again, lack of proper supply lines, lack of consistent sustained strategic targeting, poor morale among troops reported, etc...

3) The will of the Ukrainian people has been inspiring and they couldn't have though it would have taken this long.

4) Dissention in the ranks of upper government. Putin currently rebuked Sergey Naryshkin, top spymaster during a public national defense council meeting. Clearly, something failed with respect to intelligence in the Ukraine invasion (either a program implemented or bad intel). In fact, it wasn't a rebuke it was more of a public shaming and something really not seen before. Putin is also not happy with his generals as reported amongst different outlets. This usually means he's not going to take good advice that may involve something along the lines of "fall back and regroup".

5) Turkey has closed the area of the Black Sea around them so they have to travel further.

6) Russian warfare has never been much about surgical precision and more about a war of attrition (which is what you are now seeing).

7) Putin's decisions seem to be not as calculated as before and for some reason he seems more impulsive which is usually bad for military decisions.

8) Western response has been swift. We managed to get sanctions within a few days. That's really quite incredible considering the amount of red tape something like this would incur, but even more relevant is the amount of armaments we've managed to get to Ukraine. They wouldn't have held out this long without stingray missiles or javelins.

9) Ukraine's much smaller army has been trained by in western tactics by western countries and they have more discipline. They are probably using guerilla tactics as well, which is something Russia was not ready for based on how they moved everything in.

Last edited:

Killer8

The marketing for GT7 has been 'Find Your Line'. Maybe Russia should find the Ukrainian border line on the map.

Fredrik

If the US decides to invade another country, nothing like this will happen. Same with China.
I guess we’ll see when it happens, US military operations certainly aren’t popular among all people, an unprovoced invasion would no doubt cause the world to react, zero doubt about that. As with Russia they would still have allies but the harsh reality is that no country can handle isolation, US is no exception.

Effectively isolating China would be harder, no doubt, they’re very big on lots of things, it would essentially kill many of the world’s industries, but they too need imports and exports.

Anyhow the idea is that isolation could get the leader to wake up and start asking ”Is it really worth all this?” because the rest of the world can candle cutting off one country better than one country can handle cutting off the world.

emmerrei

Well they can't sell offline software that require a costant connection to work in a country where western servers are getting blocked one after another. If it's not Sony at blocking the network, it will be banned from Russians, just question of time.

I think this is silly. You are mainly punishing the folks who aren't out there invading Ukraine.
No it isn't. Just think about it. What would happen if Pro Putin Russians spill their guts online? Da great leader invade enemy, da! This will spawn epic arguements when the online gaming space should be accessible to anyone without toxic conversations.

Yes it's shit for the people there who dont support the war, but Sony plays it safe and it's the best choice a company can make.

scalman

and now tons and tons people just runnin away from russia and belarus too. all man now runs from belarus so that they wouldnt be taken to war by force. yes people are not in fault here , but that only way to show how bad it can become really if country could be just closed from outside. if larger companies and banks will go down.. thats it

scalman

Why punish some random Russian gamers for the mess their government got involved with?
maybe because there is lots ppl in russia who dont see this as wrong thing at all .... thats just mind blowing how you can even see it as ok thing .... how much you brainwashed ? crazy thats why they need to wake up

NahaNago

No it isn't. Just think about it. What would happen if Pro Putin Russians spill their guts online? Da great leader invade enemy, da! This will spawn epic arguements when the online gaming space should be accessible to anyone without toxic conversations.

Yes it's shit for the people there who dont support the war, but Sony plays it safe and it's the best choice a company can make.
So because a topic might create a argument we should stop all sales of the game in that country. This is just silly. Folks have epic arguments over everything from freedom of speech, pro life, religion, death sentence, homosexuality, political corruption, police shootings, black lives matter, racism, and war so why should a pro Putin Russian war topic be the thing that gets a game pulled from a country

Last edited:
maybe because there is lots ppl in russia who dont see this as wrong thing at all .... thats just mind blowing how you can even see it as ok thing .... how much you brainwashed ? crazy thats why they need to wake up
I'm not okay with anything, I don't even know what you said I'm ok with, I don't know enough about any of this, and don't call me brainwashed. You know nothing about me. I'm neither Russian or Ukrainian or American or whatever. Have a good day.

For those of you unfamiliar with the term "whataboutism", it is the logical fallacy where someone tries to discredit another by claiming hypocrisy without actually refuting or disproving the other person's argument.

Post counter-facts to what I posted. Have they stopped buying Oil?
How is punishing Russian Civilian non-combatant gamers sitting at home not taking part in the war doing anything?
Are the people acting at the will of the tyrant? What if you were caught in this situation where you don't support a dictator? Would you feel like you are being punished?

Just some thoughts. Peace and Solidarity has to be equal for everyone. Sad what's happening in Ukraine, but there are others wars in the world as well with equal suffering happening this very moment.
This post isn't to discredit Ukraine and it's suffering, but questioning the hypocrisy of our western countries also taking part in proxy wars in others parts of the world.
I think that's what people don't understand here. Punishing "Russia" and all the citizens there will probably bring a large portion of their population to Putin's side. They are fed propaganda day in and day out, Putin is telling them the whole world is against them, and things like this is making his point.

Yea he'll lock up some protesters, but the vast majority may believe the propaganda. The vast majority believe the fake news here and we're not even being pushed towards it.

Top Bottom