• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Reportedly Monitoring Nintendo Switch OLED Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Later this year, the Nintendo Switch OLED will go on sale, and apparently Sony will be "closely monitoring" the system's sales with great interest. In a report from The Japan Times, Ace Research Institute analyst Hideki Yasuda says that Sony is very interested in Nintendo's pricing strategy for the new model. The Nintendo Switch OLED will launch for $50 more than the current version of the system, despite offering few improvements over the model that's been out for four years. Yasuda claims that this "could set a precedent for charging more across the industry," if the Switch OLED performs well for Nintendo.

Blond

Banned
“The Nintendo Switch OLED will launch for $50 more than the current version of the system, despite offering few improvements over the model that's been out for four years. Yasuda claims that this "could set a precedent for charging more across the industry,"

LOL

bender

What time is it?
Probably looking and wishing they hadn't monumentally fucked up the vita as they could have still had a chance in the handheld zone but nope they got greedy with shitty overpriced mem cards and left it to die with no support at all.

It's not about a portable, it's about seeing consumer reaction to increased pricing. Component costs have gone up industry wide since the pandemic started and Sony look at this as a test balloon.

ZehDon

Well, they already increased the cost of their games, and are charging players for next gen upgrades. What’s a few extra hundred $$$ for a PlayStation 5 with a new hat?

kyliethicc

Do they not closely monitor all video game sales? Seems like non-news.
Probably looking and wishing they hadn't monumentally fucked up the vita as they could have still had a chance in the handheld zone but nope they got greedy with shitty overpriced mem cards and left it to die with no support at all.
They are gonna add a OLED screen displaying the time on the PS5. 50$ more.
PS5 OLED Edition.
Game company watching what other game companies are doing. That's crazy
And water is wet...

Your local news bulletin starts at 11

It means by 2024 Sony may end charging $550 for a PS5 Slim with minor improvements.

Just like Nintendo are with Switch OLED. Same specs, higher price, years later.

Minor updated design, more internal storage, but higher price. (Unlike PS4.)

Last edited:

ManaByte

“The Nintendo Switch OLED will launch for $50 more than the current version of the system, despite offering few improvements over the model that's been out for four years. Yasuda claims that this "could set a precedent for charging more across the industry,"

LOL

go fuck yourself middle finger GIF

kingfey

Banned
Ladies and gentleman. This is what happens, when business people take over the company. Where are you ps4 bosses?

Sleepwalker

Gold Member

Later this year, the Nintendo Switch OLED will go on sale, and apparently Sony will be "closely monitoring" the system's sales with great interest. In a report from The Japan Times, Ace Research Institute analyst Hideki Yasuda says that Sony is very interested in Nintendo's pricing strategy for the new model. The Nintendo Switch OLED will launch for $50 more than the current version of the system, despite offering few improvements over the model that's been out for four years. Yasuda claims that this "could set a precedent for charging more across the industry," if the Switch OLED performs well for Nintendo.

Ace Research Institute analyst Hideki Yasuda says that Sony is very interested in Nintendo's pricing strategy for the new model

Holy shit!! It's happening a new PSP/Vita

Its Happening The Office GIF by NBC

Yasuda claims that this "could set a precedent for charging more across the industry," if the Switch OLED performs well for Nintendo.

Oh...

Kermit Suicide GIF

elliot5

It means by 2024 Sony may end charging $550 for a PS5 Slim with minor improvements.

Just like Nintendo are with Switch OLED. Same specs, higher price, years later.

Minor updated design, more internal storage, but higher price. (Unlike PS4.)
Yep, exactly my initial reaction. I think Phil mentioned in an interview a while ago that part of the reason for the Series S is that manufacturing at scale (?) isn't getting a lot cheaper unlike before when they could shrink the hardware and cut costs while selling at lower prices. (Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone)

Maybe instead of seeing reduced price models or same price models with more storage we'll just be seeing the OLED Switch model adopted. Increased prices and slight tweaks and so on. Why reduce the price point when you can just repackage and increase it! 🥸

It's kind of genius from a business perspective... Kind of shitty from a consumer perspective.

I thought they meant they’d be watching interested in getting back into the portable market. I guess it makes more sense that they’d be rumored to be watching to see how they can charge more for their stuff. $75 for a red controller, $70 games, etc.

elliot5

I thought they meant they’d be watching interested in getting back into the portable market. I guess it makes more sense that they’d be rumored to be watching to see how they can charge more for their stuff. $75 for a red controller, $70 games, etc.
Tbf special controllers almost always cost a very slight premium over the stock black ones (white for dualsense) no? I know Xbox also charges an extra $5 or so for the offbeat colors. But yeah obv Sony is looking to maximize revenue/profits.

Yoboman

The Steam Deck kinda proves Sony could have make a “portable PS4” at a reasonable cost but ultimately the thing that fucks Sony up the most is focus. Right now they can do a console and dabble with VR, if they try another portable it’s gonna totally dilute their resources.
If they could genuinely put together a PS4 portable it would validate the cross gen stuff massively

Dunno if they could shrink down that tech so much though

Zok310

Banned
Bro, Sony, Nintendo, and MS got a microscope up all our assholes, what you think they got up each other assholes?

Last edited:
I can see them increasing the price with a bigger built-in SSD model.

In the past they would just offer a bigger disk model at the same price and the smaller disk model got a discount.

Specially that NAND chips prices are not going down in the meantime, and probably never will considering that NAND and DRAM stopped scaling below 10nm.

So the only way they could offer bigger built-in SSD is by selling them at a higher cost.

Hahahahahahahahahaha of course

Competition always follows competition. If one can charge more and get away with it, expect the overall prices to follow - look at the mobile market. Everyone followed Apple, even that brand that was going to fight against it *cough* OnePlus *cough*

The sooner people realize that gaming is a luxury, the less they will be surprised.

kingfey

Banned
Yep, exactly my initial reaction. I think Phil mentioned in an interview a while ago that part of the reason for the Series S is that manufacturing at scale (?) isn't getting a lot cheaper unlike before when they could shrink the hardware and cut costs while selling at lower prices. (Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone)

Maybe instead of seeing reduced price models or same price models with more storage we'll just be seeing the OLED Switch model adopted. Increased prices and slight tweaks and so on. Why reduce the price point when you can just repackage and increase it! 🥸

It's kind of genius from a business perspective... Kind of shitty from a consumer perspective.
The age of caring of customers is dead. We are in the age, where people are happy to pay 70$, in the name of high quality. We happily pay $100+ for a useless collector edition, that is worthless.

The 70$ that i mentioned, will be cheaper in the future. all it will cost is 10$ in 2-3 years. Where is the quality in that? Because, there is no quality. Its how we gamers accepted that price, as its worth of the game. When in reality, its not worth the price.

Nintendo is happily charging its customers 60$ for a freaking 2017 game. And people still buy it. Mario kart 8 is 60$ on digital now, while disc is 45$. God of war is 10$ same quality games. its just that 1 company has fans, who will throw their money at them. The 2nd company is starting to follow, the 1st company steps.

The last company is waging war against game ownership. They putting their games day1 on a service which they charge 15$ a month. A pretty good deal, until you start having all 3 systems. Then you start realizing that you don't really own the games on that system. The 3rd company will charge you monthly payments to play their games. If you buy their games, you will look like an idiot, because its cheaper on the service. But to play those games, you have to dedicate your wallet to that service, and you cant stop paying monthly, because you will lose access to those games, leaving you with nothing at all.

. And in order to play games on other systems, you have to prepare to buy 70$/60$ for their games. Or wait 3 years in hope of getting sales on those games. While the other company wont drop the price of their games.

AS a consumer, you are fked either way. You have no choice, because each fandom will make pricing gaming hell for you. Ubisoft is all in live service games, due to fortnite, and their live service games success, that they are willing to drop good games, to bucket few more money. EA/Take2 are enjoying the mtx sales. GTA6 is long way out, because gta online.

LordOfChaos

They probably monitor a lot of shit in the gaming industry, especially their two big rivals. Eh.

Nintendo has always gotten away with low hardware performance for the price, and the conclusion quoted is not from Sony.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I think Phil mentioned in an interview a while ago that part of the reason for the Series S is that manufacturing at scale (?) isn't getting a lot cheaper unlike before when they could shrink the hardware and cut costs while selling at lower prices. (Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone)
Yeah that's right - it's not like back in the day with node shrinks aplenty giving them massive cost savings. These are already on 7nm processes, so the likelihood of them getting a shrink and therefor a cost reduction and running cooler allowing smaller cases and cooling systems is slim to none. The PS5 and Series X likely will never hit even USD$250. An RRP of even $300 might be out of the question. Like you said, that's why the S exists - to get the people that wait for price drops, because those price drops ain't happening.

//DEVIL//

They already know people will pay $800+ for a new console. They don't need Nintendo to prove that.
sadly this will reflect the pro versions of the current consoles.

I am expecting next gen consoles honestly to start at 600$. nothing less

idiotic bitch ass gamers proved to the whole world they are willing to pay scalping price on everything gaming related just to get their hands on a system or a gpu they like.

Last edited:

timschel

Neo Member
Console prices used to go down over time as things got cheaper to produce. Now companies want to increase the price over time without really offering decent improvements.
The market will sort this out. They might try to raise prices once but consumers will ultimately decide whether it becomes a trend.

timschel

Neo Member
You understimate Nintendo fan base.
I'm as hardcore as any Nintendo fan and I've bought virtually every hardware revision from them. I was ready to buy my 3rd Switch if there was a hardware rev but there is no way I'm spending more money for something that is already aging significantly.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Console prices used to go down over time as things got cheaper to produce. Now companies want to increase the price over time without really offering decent improvements.
The prices don't go down like they used to because it is harder to reduce prices. Manufacturing costs don't drop like they used to because the manufacturing processes aren't becoming less expensive. The dramatic cost savings from smaller manufacturing processes don't happen like in years past. That's why we saw more powerful machines for the same prices as launch models during the mid gen refreshes. If you can't reduce cost you might as well provide better performance/value for the money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom