• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Reportedly Monitoring Nintendo Switch OLED Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnNamed

Banned
Sony isn't going to make any PsPortable again.
Vita died because Sony admitted developers hadn't resource to make new games for Vita and PS3/4, besides some crossplay game.

Switch is different 'cause lot of games are ports/remasters, there was no need to create a new ecosystem.

The same with Steam Deck which is not a new platform but a different shaped PC.

GuinGuin

Banned
Not buying it. They gave portable gaming a shot and gave up on it after a loooong time. VR is their second pillar and in the end it will pay off much better for them. They aren't going to split their studios among 3 platforms.

Raekwon26

Love how some poeple think this is Playstation portable related, when its almost certainly to do with with price related, and how much Sony can fleece gamers in the future.
So............... you don't know what it's about............. but questioning others who also don't know what it's about?

Right..........

Stuart360

So............... you don't know what it's about............. but questioning others who also don't know what it's about?

Right..........
Yeah but i'm using common sense. Playstation did their portable, and dropped it long ago. Switch has been selling like hotcakes since it released, if this was PSP related why would they be wanting to see how the Oled model does?.
Come on now.

SSfox

What's point? Hermen already fuck it up by releasing ps games on pc, so it will be on that steam deck and if sony make portable it won't have exclusives and so won't sell.

You know why Switch sell despite its jurassic outdated specs? That's because it have EXCLUSIVES.

I can already tell them they're not going to be flying off shelves.
you're right. despite having sold about 84m consoles (~31m less than PS4) i have to agree that i just can't see this console flying off shelves. it's not like there are any big titles coming out either....i mean there's Pokemon remakes, a brand new Pokemon game, a major Shin Megami title, and the BOTW sequel but i'm sure they won't do that well. BOTW only sold 24m copies so the sequel probably won't do too well.

:messenger_unamused:

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Sony may consider adding oled screen ON the PS5, so you can still play your PS5 games without a TV.

Fredrik

The Steam Deck kinda proves Sony could have make a “portable PS4” at a reasonable cost but ultimately the thing that fucks Sony up the most is focus. Right now they can do a console and dabble with VR, if they try another portable it’s gonna totally dilute their resources.
Exactly. It’s the secondary platform curse. It never works. The whole reason you buy their hardware is because you want their AAA games from their A teams. Putting B teams to make exclusive games for a secondary platform will essentially turn the platform into a B platform.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Love how some poeple think this is Playstation portable related, when its almost certainly to do with price, and how much Sony can fleece gamers in the future.
The one paragraph in the OP isn’t that long and is clearly about setting a price point for hardware. It’s like half the people here only read the thread title, decided to still comment and aren’t even commenting about the right topic.

he Steam Deck kinda proves Sony could have make a “portable PS4” at a reasonable cost
Gaben openly stated that they are heavily subsidize the cost.

But Sony should increase the price of games to 90-10$. Label it as "quality edition" and it will fly off the shelves.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
regardless i dont think they can ever increase the MSRP of the existing PS5 models. Its too late. Most likely they would increase storage or make a slim version or something slightly difference then increase prices more than reasonable and see how that works out.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Do they not closely monitor all video game sales? Seems like non-news.

That's why MS stopped posting numbers
GIF by Identity

ZywyPL

Banned
You know why Switch sell despite its jurassic outdated specs? That's because it have EXCLUSIVES.

Partially true. The main reason is that it's a completely different experience, not available elsewhere. Because let's imagine Switch is an ordinary home console, with the same Jaguar CPU, 8GB RAM, 1TF GPU and 1 TB HDD, all that for 399$ - how many people would really pick that up instead of PS4/XB1 and their 1st party titles? Not to mention playing all those 3rd party games over Nintendo's online network? They succeed because since Wii they switched their focus on totally different, never before reached audience, the one that wasn't interested in the dude-bro games.

The Steam Deck kinda proves Sony could have make a “portable PS4” at a reasonable cost but ultimately the thing that fucks Sony up the most is focus. Right now they can do a console and dabble with VR, if they try another portable it’s gonna totally dilute their resources.
Well they didn't say it was because of them doing another portable, it literally mentions how they're interested in it because of the precedent for a refresh price increase.

MagnesG

Banned
I'm as hardcore as any Nintendo fan and I've bought virtually every hardware revision from them. I was ready to buy my 3rd Switch if there was a hardware rev but there is no way I'm spending more money for something that is already aging significantly.
You're just one person, having the time to give out your opinion vs million others buying and just moving on.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Console prices used to go down over time as things got cheaper to produce. Now companies want to increase the price over time without really offering decent improvements.
Oled is pretty fucking big

Yeesh, Xbox please do the opposite and make it cheaper. Don’t be an asshole to your fans and actively look and brag about how you’re actually wanting to raise prices.

MrA

Banned
regardless i dont think they can ever increase the MSRP of the existing PS5 models. Its too late. Most likely they would increase storage or make a slim version or something slightly difference then increase prices more than reasonable and see how that works out.
I think both Microsoft and sony could get away with a price increase if they offer a model with more storage, a 2 tb model for an extra 100 wouldn't be a tough sell with enthusiasts, especially if it doesn't touch the existing models, much like when Microsoft introduced the elite 360 with an 80 dollar price bump

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Later this year, the Nintendo Switch OLED will go on sale, and apparently Sony will be "closely monitoring" the system's sales with great interest. In a report from The Japan Times, Ace Research Institute analyst Hideki Yasuda says that Sony is very interested in Nintendo's pricing strategy for the new model. The Nintendo Switch OLED will launch for $50 more than the current version of the system, despite offering few improvements over the model that's been out for four years. Yasuda claims that this "could set a precedent for charging more across the industry," if the Switch OLED performs well for Nintendo.

Well, PS3 was double the price of Xbox 360 and sold more. I still think $500 for PS5 is extremely cheap.

Magos Librorum

Neo Member
People really need to check the actual source before commenting lol. It is another one of those Bloomberg articles.

OP's link says 'In a report from The Japan Times', which says 'BY TAKASHI MOCHIZUKI, BLOOMBERG'. Yeah, the man who got the new switch wrong, got his 'Higher Profit Margins' article debunked by Nintendo, got his 'Sony Cuts PS5 production by 4 Million' article debunked by Sony, and more. Just ignore those 'news' the next time you see the name 'TAKASHI MOCHIZUKI'. Btw he also worked for WSJ, you can search for those articles if you want more laugh.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol Sony already charges a $100 more for the same specs with the only addition being a fucking disc drive that has a $20 BOM cost. Nintendo charges $50 for an extra $10 added to the BOM, Sony doubles that for $20. Both are ripping off their customers.

At least Nintendo has a $200 model available to buy. Sony underships the $399 model with preorder numbers suggesting only a 20% allocation for the cheaper model.

And while we are at it, MS is charging $300 for a 4 tflops console which comes out to be $75 per tflop. The XSX is $41 per tflop. You would think the CHEAPER model would be cost effective, but nope. Everyone seems to be having fun at the expense of consumers. It's a free for all out there already.

SSfox

lol Sony already charges a $100 more for the same specs with the only addition being a fucking disc drive that has a $20 BOM cost. Nintendo charges $50 for an extra $10 added to the BOM, Sony doubles that for $20. Both are ripping off their customers.
I don't think it's fair to make such comparison, one sells you a product with cutting edge techs, while the other sell you product with Jurassic techs, and i'm not even gonna mention dem joycons à la con.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don't think it's fair to make such comparison, one sells you a product with cutting edge techs, while the other sell you product with Jurassic techs, and i'm not even gonna mention dem joycons à la con.
Selling a cutting edge product is no excuse for overcharging your own consumers. Nvidia is offering products as cutting edge as you can get and they are arguably the worst offenders when it comes to maximizing profits. The 3080Ti is offering just 13% more performance than the 3080 for an extra $500. The 2080Ti offered 35% for an extra $500.

All this after they used to price the x80 Ti versions at $699 and offered way better performance.

Cutting edge or garbage tech. Ripping off consumers to maximize profits is ripping off consumers. If this report is true, expect Sony is do the same. Maybe add a bigger SSD and launch a $599 SKU seeing as how well this thing is selling even for $799 bundles at Gamestop.

Blond

Banned
They already know people will pay $800+ for a new console. They don't need Nintendo to prove that.
Considering the 600 dollar PS3 sold more than the 360 in the first year I’m not shocked.
Hahahahahahahahahaha of course

Competition always follows competition. If one can charge more and get away with it, expect the overall prices to follow - look at the mobile market. Everyone followed Apple, even that brand that was going to fight against it *cough* OnePlus *cough*

The sooner people realize that gaming is a luxury, the less they will be surprised.
1500 dollar phones! It’s ridiculous a damn phone cost the same as a MacBook Pro with LESS capability. The day they made the X 1,000 I knew that cellphones we’re going to skyrocket.

Last edited:

timschel

Neo Member
You're just one person, having the time to give out your opinion vs million others buying and just moving on.

Indeed it's anecdotal but I don't think the OLED is going persuade most people to upgrade. I'm not suggesting it won't do well enough but I'm not convinced that it's going to be the dominant version either. Really it's a win-win for Nintendo. Minimal investment and lots of potential profit.

kyliethicc

Copying Nintendo, it would be like this:

PS5 Slim, 1.65 TB SSD, $550
PS5 DE Slim, 1.65 TB SSD, $450

Instead of going from LCD to OLED, it would just shrink in size and draw less power. Same specs. Updated design look.

Mozza

So a niche console that is not even released and with no sales record is proof Sony need to make a portable PS4, sounds delusional to me, but this is the internet so I am pretty sure the minorities would agree with you.

Last edited:

Mozza

Indeed it's anecdotal but I don't think the OLED is going persuade most people to upgrade. I'm not suggesting it won't do well enough but I'm not convinced that it's going to be the dominant version either. Really it's a win-win for Nintendo. Minimal investment and lots of potential profit.
The OLED model will replace the original model and in effect become the regular model, just because a few people in the internet and YouTube so not think it's much of an improvement means absolutely nothing.

Kenpachii

Oled moddel is only made to get double dippers going. Nintendo knows they have a lot of whales on there platform. That's also the reason they create those "special editions'. I wouldn't be shocked if there are nintendo fans out there with more then 2 switches that are all the same. 3DS same story.

Problem with sony and the handheld market is, they can't support both. Nintendo has the same problem thats why they merged.

So either the handheld has to play all there new and current games, or its not going to happen. So basically they need a handheld that can play PS5 games. the only way to do that is to nuke there PS5 specs which will be bad for them because market.

Last edited:

Genx3

A 2 TB SSD PS5 could easily sell for $700 and $600 for the DE version.

Maybe Sony thinks they wouldn't sell well which is just crazy considering how much mark up there is on most consoles being scalped.

Last edited:

Genx3

At least Nintendo has a $200 model available to buy. Sony underships the $399 model with preorder numbers suggesting only a 20% allocation for the cheaper model.

And while we are at it, MS is charging $300 for a 4 tflops console which comes out to be $75 per tflop. The XSX is $41 per tflop. You would think the CHEAPER model would be cost effective, but nope. Everyone seems to be having fun at the expense of consumers. It's a free for all out there already.

A Company making and selling luxury products for a profit is not ripping people off. Or do you think they should give it all away?

FYI the 8 core Zen2 CPU inside the Xbox Series S costs $300 by itself for PC. So basically you get a free 4TF GPU with a free controller and free SSD when you buy a Series S. Before you compare it to the $400 PS5 remember that Sony charges $80 Euros for games on the digital store while Xbox pretty much gives away all its 1st party games with Game Pass for a mere $10 a month.
Sony is subsidizing the $400 PS5DE and making it up by selling games at higher margins.

As has been published the consoles are sold at a loss by both Sony and MS.

Last edited:

Kagero

Such a weird thing to pay attention to. They should have been saying this about the original switch. Nintendo proved that its possible to create a handheld that can give you a console experience. I would have been on board day 1 for a new Sony handheld but I think that itch has been scratched with the Steam Deck. A little too late to the punch. Sony should just focus on games and a potential Ps5 pro.

Nikodemos

Problem with sony and the handheld market is, they can't support both. Nintendo has the same problem thats why they merged.
This. They can barely support the PS5 and VR as it is. And Nintendo got an extremely harsh awakening when they had to prop up the 3DS's lackluster post-launch months and try to prepare for the U's launch. Iwata wisely realized the days of supporting two platforms were past (similar to how they realized they couldn't support both a low-end and a high-end handheld).

timschel

Neo Member
The OLED model will replace the original model and in effect become the regular model, just because a few people in the internet and YouTube so not think it's much of an improvement means absolutely nothing.
No. The OLED is in addition to the standard model which is $50 cheaper. It's not replacing anything. It's a more expensive model with a slightly better / larger screen and that's it. When someone asks a salesperson which one should I buy? They're probably going to suggest the cheaper model because it's cheaper and the differences are minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom