• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Reportedly Monitoring Nintendo Switch OLED Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

leo-j

I’m sorry but the ps5 is very cheap for what you get. In a world where people are buying $750 smartphones every year. Paying $499 for a 6 year console is ludacris. This isn’t 2006 anymore. Ps5 should be $699 for what you get. It’s selling at a higher average through scalpers.

Mozza

No. The OLED is in addition to the standard model which is $50 cheaper. It's not replacing anything. It's a more expensive model with a slightly better / larger screen and that's it. When someone asks a salesperson which one should I buy? They're probably going to suggest the cheaper model because it's cheaper and the differences are minimal.
depends on how well it sells, at the moment it's an additional model, but I would not be surprised to see Nintendo phase the existing model out as they sell all their current stock.

not sure which salesperson people are going to speak to when most sales for consoles, as with everything else are now online, plus the differences are a lot more than you are making out, true this is not the unlikely Switch Pro rumoured since forever, but a decent upgrade to be sure.

Last edited:

Mozza

Switch Oled is going to be one of the sku's that push Switch to the #1 platform of all time in terms of sales.

It's going to sell,

casuals think of a better screen as a bigger upgrade than more specs which they know or care little about.
there will be a lot of people with the existing model upgrading too, just like they would with a new I phone etc, the armchair businesses experts on here do not see this of course, but they are just deluding themselves, only very stupid people think Nintendo do not know what they are doing.

Amiga

Judging from SteamD, Sony can easily release a full PS4 portable now. They can also use the same PS5 memory +IO and have scaled down PS5 games on the go.

having the entire PS4+PS5 library will make a big difference. Sony can also take this chance to release a very cheap and small $250 PS5 slim with the same specs as the handheld.

Marvel14

Banned
Do they not closely monitor all video game sales? Seems like non-news.
This. Close thread. Might as well have written "company cares about how it's competitor does- and "breaking news" the sky is blue"

How many of these obvious "nothing to see here" threads will we get this year?

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I can already tell them they're not going to be flying off shelves.

Yeah about that...

I liked the PSPGo for it's small form factor and the PS Vita for pushing the envelope tech wise, but beyond that Sony needs to cut their losses. Yeah, I want them to release another portable, but not if they don't release barely any first-party games on it.

lukilladog

I’m sorry but the ps5 is very cheap for what you get. In a world where people are buying $750 smartphones every year. Paying $499 for a 6 year console is ludacris. This isn’t 2006 anymore. Ps5 should be $699 for what you get. It’s selling at a higher average through scalpers.

Relax bro, these companies have plenty of expertise at pricing their stuff as high as possible.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Have there been any studies on how the switch is most used or abetting like that? I’d love to know the split betweenoutside the house, portable at home, and docked. Here in Australia I have literally never seen one being played out in the wild, not a single one, and the lacklustre sales of the Lite compared to the normal one suggests that docked mode is extremely important.

I don’t think there is a need for a portable PlayStation because I don’t think people actually care about playing on a portable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom