• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Showcase 2021 |OT| September 9th (Show rating poll added)

How would you rate the PS5 Showcase?

• A

Votes: 83 16.2%
  • B

Votes: 147 28.7%
  • C

Votes: 133 25.9%
  • D

Votes: 98 19.1%
  • E

Votes: 52 10.1%

• Total voters

reksveks

Couldn't watch it, had to take my mom to the hospital. Her blood pressure was through the roof today. :lollipop_crying:
Hope she gets better soon.

I thought the show was much better overall than the recent MS event. Looking forward to games from both
Definitely better than gamescom but it was feeling abit like a combo of last year xbox showing with games a couple years out and some of the xbox E3 show. We at least have a roadmap for Sony for next year.

supernova8

Banned
dude your screenshot is blurry even on my phone.

So basically they look the same but one is a bit higher resolution?

7cX7wWz.jpg

It's all in good fun. No hard feelings. Personally I was unimpressed and will probably just get myself an Xbox Series S with Game Pass for now.. and then get a PS5 in a few more years when something mindblowing actually shows up (on any platform).

SLB1904

Banned
So basically they look the same but one is a bit higher resolution?

7cX7wWz.jpg

It's all in good fun. No hard feelings. Personally I was unimpressed and will probably just get myself an Xbox Series S with Game Pass for now.. and then get a PS5 in a few more years when something mindblowing actually shows up (on any platform).
exactly. at least you tried

graphics are really good now instead of wasting resources on new engines I prefer they spend most of it in gameplay and actual content

60 fps is more important than graphics any time
I agree with this. I would have no problem with graphics basically pausing for a decade so people can push creative boundaries without feeling the need to constantly push graphical boundaries. We are so far past diminishing returns regarding game dev costs imo.

Won't happen, but it's nice to dream.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Thanks Sony. Great job. Not the best showcase ever but the best showcase this year.
I’m sorry but I just don’t see how that can be true. Microsoft’s conference had much, much better pacing. Starfield, Battlefield 2042, Halo, A Plague Tale Requiem, The Outer Worlds 2, Forza Horizon 5 and Redfall. There was plenty of great reveals. Sony were strong today but half of the third parties weren’t great.

Last edited:

skit_data

It was decent.

They announced a few bangers by the end but why the hell did they have Deathloop for the 4th time? And wth was that game before the PS studios lineup?

They hyped it up too much. Or at least the pacing was completely off. I was about to check out at the 35-minute mark but the last few minutes pulled me back in. Thank god for that. Without KOTOR, Forspoken and the PS studio games that would’ve been an E. The last ones managed to get it to a C, but i expected way more.

OrionNebula

So, PS5 showcase

-Remake of a 2003 game - no footage
-Remaster of a 2011 game
-Continuation of a 2013 game (GTAV)
-PS5 (and PC) of a 2016 and 2017 game

I’m floored……..

Good to see Insomniac handles 1/3 of all ps studio releases. They do have other studios, am I right?

saintjules

This is their big showcase, so I assume heavy hitters and surprises to be there. After this there probably won't be much of a big show for them until next year. There will be future State of Play episodes along the way to push titles meanwhile.

My Predictions
  • GTAV E&E Story / Gameplay Trailer
  • GOW short Gameplay or Story Trailer
  • Stray Gameplay / Story Trailer
  • The Last of Us Part 2 PS5 Update
    • They mentioned that the PS5 patch released back in June would be the first step to working on the PS5. I'm predicting a new-gen update to be announced
  • An "Abandoned" update of some kind
  • Little Devil Inside Release Date Trailer
  • Forspoken Story / Gameplay Trailer
  • Kena: Bridge of Spirits Final Trailer
  • Deathloop Final Trailer (1 minute in length)
  • Bloodborne Remaster that includes 60fps and/or a possible "Director's Cut" announcement with newly added content
  • Naughty Dog (predicting at least one to happen)
    • New IP Announcement
    • Factions Multiplayer Announcement
    • New Uncharted Game Teaser
    • The Last of Us Remake Teaser
  • Various unannounced indie titles
  • Returnal DLC or newly added content to the base game
  • GT7 Gameplay / Release Date Trailer
  • PS+ and PS Now fusion (the answer to Gamepass)
  • Quick info/details on Discord acquisition

Wildcard Announcements
  • Remake of a popular JRPG Franchise
    • Legend of Dragoon
    • Xenogears
    • Parasite Eve 1
  • Bluepoint acquisition and then showing off a MGS Remake Teaser

What I think won't appear
  • Final Fantasy XVI - Developers mentioned that they are not sure if they would have something to show by TGS. Hence I believe it's being held off
  • I don't think Sony will waste time on games already announced with release dates. If anything, more deep dives of such titles via State of Play in the coming months, leading up to their respective release windows.

Hmm, not too bad.

Pros:
Mostly decent and interesting announcements (at least in my opinion)
Straight to the point, trailer after trailer after trailer

Cons:
Too many CGI/In Engine stuff
GoW, as excited as I am for that game, it looks almost the same as it did on PS4, it looks like an expansion. F*ck crossgen

7/10

fersnake

was good, not S tier but good. where's is the Bluepoint acquisition? MGS remake? damm dont believe in "leaks" guys T_T

catvonpee

Kind of disappointed, mostly cgi and placeholder announcements. I was hoping for something that "would make me lose my mind" GOW looks pretty good, but not OMG I need to get a PS5 good. Oh well.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Good stuff, but the whole of the show was massively less than the sum of its parts.

To be honest the overall impression I got was that it was all a bit sloppily put together. It actually felt less polished a presentation than their typical "State of plays" which makes me wonder how committed they were to doing this showcase. The trailers themselves looked a bit uneven in terms of quality and edit so maybe its just a product of a year and half of COVID-induced disruption.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
the show ic C for me but because of the pacing is really off

highlights for me are : forspoken, the korean game with the girl at least gameplay wise, spider man 2 , wolverine and gow ragnarok

about gow ragnarok some people say it looked like a beefed up ps4 game and maybe it is right but I do not want them to reinvent the wheel

gow 2018 is one of the best games ever made what I really want of them is more enemy variety, no repeated mini bosses and some great diverse epic boss battles, some of gameplay and puzzles enhancements and that's it

if they bulled this off well it will be maybe best game ever made

graphics are really good now instead of wasting resources on new engines I prefer they spend most of it in gameplay and actual content

60 fps is more important than graphics any time

about spider man 2 : it is great that we will play both miles and peter in one game it add variety and maybe better gameplay and venom is great reveal

and wolverine is a great surprise

all in all I trust insomniac and really I feel it is far better deal than Bethesda

ps5 had a great start this generations with best launch games by far in playstation history

great start and hope for better future

The thing is with Ragnarok is that things in it that need to be improved cant because of it being cross gen, the hub world, long passage ways, slow teleportation etc
I enjoyed GOW its one of the best stories in any videogame, and the souls-bourne inspired combat was good, however I would not say its pushing the videogame medium foward. It just does certain things very well. But like some games in the past i play them just to progress in the story. Its very hard for a game not to become tedious and when i watched the Ragnarok demo I think "the story will be good, but do I really want to go through a 25hr slog again, just to progress the story?".

Naughty Dog managed to pace TLOU2 beautifuly, while it was also a very long 20-25hr game they kept it really fresh with some many different scenarios, characters, locations and enemies that any feelings of tediousness were quickly eradicated. I hope Sony Santa Monica can do the same with Ragnarok.

Bartski

Gold Member
As I think about it now if somebody leaked the whole show saying there will be trailers of Deathloop, GTAV, Rainbow Six: Attack of the Alien Zombies and that horrible Marvel game with the anthropomorphic Raccoon everyone would laugh in his face. Yet here we are.

Ragnarok saved it together with the Wolverine announcement, overall 1st party rocked but what the hell were they thinking with all that last-gen 3rd party crap.

Should have trimmed all the fat and cut this down to 15-20 mins long amazing episode of state of play. As it was - it was ok but I think everyone expected more.

Where the fuck is Bloodborne HD.

Last edited:
Project eve isn't japanese though? That language definitely wasn't japanese. Maybe korean or Chinese.
Looks Korean ripping off some Japanese game like Nier. Kinda reminds me of Lost Soul Aside. Which looks like a collection of Japanese game stereotypes like me. They always have this soap opera feeling to me. Even though I cant understand shit.

saintjules

Overall decent showing. Project Eve, Spider-Man 2, WOLVERINE, GOW Ragnorak, Forspoken are some of my takeaways that I'd grab day 1.

They didn't need to show that Play Has No Limits Commercial ad at the start. That took like a solid 3-5 minutes off from the opening.

If what they showed after Herman Hulst spoke was throughout the show, then I think it would have been more immersive.

I give the show a C+.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Couldn't watch it, had to take my mom to the hospital. Her blood pressure was through the roof today. :lollipop_crying:
just skip the first 30min. bunch of 3rd party garbage.

only guardians of the galaxy in forspoken looks good
Insane,

If you dont want to skip the first half hour, then at least skip the first 5 minutes.

No joke. It's literally a movie clip with CGI and real actors chasing each other to a remixed New Order song.

sncvsrtoip

I thought GT7 looked last gen as fuck. The rain effects especially looked disgusting. Zero upgrades from last gen. Still a gen behind Driveclub. I am quite baffled by just how ordinary the game looks. It's like they put no effort into improving graphics. Horizon is open world and seems to have better looking environments. They spent four years on this? How?

Sony shut down the wrong studio.
yeah graphics are basicaly gt sport but this game is own league in multiplayer simcade console racing games so please stop with this blasphemy :D and now we getting proper singleplayer and more content, also one big thing - dynamic weather (there is wet indicator that going at one moment from 100% on wet track to 94%), so dynamic conditions

yurinka

GoWR, Wolverine, Spider-Man 2 are my top 3 most hyped games now. Wolverine is my favorite Marvel character and I think that after an awesome job with Spider-Man, Insomniac will nail it with Logan. GT7, Forspoken, Ghostwire Tokyo, Uncharted 4 Collection and the Korean Bayonetta look very good and it's nice to see KOTOR back.

Tchia, Alan Wake, Deathloop, Tiny Tina, GTAV, Bloodhunt, Guardians of he Galaxy or Rainbow Six Extraction didn't deserve to be there. I'd have given them a separate blog post and trailer.

P.S.: Jimbo, buy Bluepoint. And let's hope they announce TLOU2 PS5, TLOU1 remake and TLOU2 Factions and the TLOU Director's Cut bundle including all of them on that TLOU day.

Last edited:

Dr Kaneda

I dont get this, GOW Rag, Spiderman 2, Wolverine, KOTOR Remake on PS5 and PC only, GT7......how can you worry, you've GOT to be kidding me.
I literally said I was excited for KOTOR, Wolverine and GT7. But again as a clearly said only GT7 of those 3 games looks like anywhere close to being released. Others are likely years away.

Personally I’m bored of GOW and Spider-man. They seem like incremental sequels which I’m burnt out on. If others are excited then I fully understand, but I’m talking about my personal tastes and preferences.

What does Sony have next year beyond 3 cross gen games that are all sequels? 2 of which were supposed to release this year anyway. If Sony is going to adopt the exact same format it did this year of ONLY doing big announcements in Sep show then that basically confirms that’s all they have next year. Not a single next gen exclusive game? That’s worrying I’d say.

Even if Sony were to show up at E3 next year they aren’t going to announce a new game and release it in 6 months. This would have been the time to do that and they didn’t. So we genuinely do know what Sonys 1st party lineup will be next year and it’s all cross gen.

Ol'Scratch

I think alot of people are forgetting that TGS is a month or so away and there have been shows already announced for various developers, so it makes sense that some things are not at this show

tmlDan

I literally said I was excited for KOTOR, Wolverine and GT7. But again as a clearly said only GT7 of those 3 games looks like anywhere close to being released. Others are likely years away.

Personally I’m bored of GOW and Spider-man. They seem like incremental sequels which I’m burnt out on. If others are excited then I fully understand, but I’m talking about my personal tastes and preferences.

What does Sony have next year beyond 3 cross gen games that are all sequels? 2 of which were supposed to release this year anyway. If Sony is going to adopt the exact same format it did this year of ONLY doing big announcements in Sep show then that basically confirms that’s all they have next year. Not a single next gen exclusive game? That’s worrying I’d say.

Even if Sony were to show up at E3 next year they aren’t going to announce a new game and release it in 6 months. This would have been the time to do that and they didn’t. So we genuinely do know what Sonys 1st party lineup will be next year and it’s all cross gen.
They have Forbidden West, GOW, GT7, Forespoken for next year.

That's more than any other platform, you act like they don't have exclusives just because you're burnt out on games that have ONE game......it makes no sense. Spiderman has one game, GOW was remade into an entirely new game and hasn't had a sequel.

If you're bored of two games that are likely to have the LARGEST audiences and the best sales then that's not worrying for Sony thats worrying for you because you have diff taste.

Dr Kaneda

They have Forbidden West, GOW, GT7, Forespoken for next year.

That's more than any other platform, you act like they don't have exclusives just because you're burnt out on games that have ONE game......it makes no sense. Spiderman has one game, GOW was remade into an entirely new game and hasn't had a sequel.

If you're bored of two games that are likely to have the LARGEST audiences and the best sales then that's not worrying for Sony thats worrying for you because you have diff taste.
Do you have reading comprehension issues or are you just being intentionally obtuse?

As I clearly said the 1st party games they are scheduled to release next year are ALL CROSS GEN (Forespoken is not a 1st party game, peddle that elsewhere champ). Not a single 1st party next gen exclusive game for an entire year of your consoles life cycle is pitiful and unacceptable no matter how you slice it.

I don’t care if Nintendo and Xbox have less. This isn’t a dick measuring contest between companies and I’m not praising Nintendo and Xbox in the 1st place, so why are you crying about them? Nintendo and MS are shittier. Happy now? Can you rest easy now that have said that Sony is best of a shit bunch for next year? Have I settled your raging fanboy insecurities?

We literally got Spider-Man MM less than a year ago, or are you going to pretend that didn’t happen? Lmao, you love trotting that out as a positive when you list what exclusive 1st party games Sony released in its launch year but when it has negative connotations relating to lack of variety you’re going to act like it doesn’t exist.

Top Bottom