• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Showcase 2023 |OT| Show as a Service! (1pm PT / 4pm ET / 9pm BST) (No Spoilers!)

Rate the Blow... Showcase

• Total voters

Toons

Just watching it, but the comments here don't bode well. Why is it so hard to develop a new Sly Cooper, Ape Escape or proper crazy SSX game for this console?!

I am so happy that I skipped the PS3 and PS4 gens so that I have plenty of past games to enjoy on my PS5, but not having anything super exciting next gen on the near horizon is rather poor.

Sly Cooper snd six are 20 to 30 year old brands. How about looking forward instead of back? As much as I'd love an ssx I doubt it would sell well in this day and age.

Surfheart

I was wanting them to force me to buy the PSVR2 but It felt like PSVR2 is dead..
So dissapointing. Bedroom coders are delivering amazing VR mods for AAA games and Sony can’t? WTF was Last of Us VR, Wipeout, Astrobot, fucking anything. They showed a bunch of 3rd party stuff for VR that was has already been shown (except Arizona) not a single !st party title.

Marathon has awesome style. Probably will play someday on PC. Looking forward to FF16 but keeping my expectations in check. Don’t get me wrong the other stuff wasn’t horrible but it’s just uninspired, or remakes/ports. Bad showcase but I am thinking this gen will end up going the way the PS4 did in that it’s biggest years will be in its twilight. 2024 through 2026 will probably be nuts.

DonJorginho

Banned
Megatons take time to develop. With Sony's crossgen pipeline tapped out, its going to take time for the AAA bangers to be ready to show.
Biggest pile of bull I've seen, I'm sorry but after an 18 month absence of proper showcase communication and after hyping up this event as the "next phase" of your console's lifecycle, you cannot give us indie bargain bin titles, uninspired CG trailers, A FILM TRAILER and only one real big first party title (which didn't even get a release date.)

It's an embarrassment and makes me deeply concerned about the future of PlayStation, not in terms of them being doomed and going bankrupt or anything dramatic like that, but this generation could easily be a dud on the levels of the Xbox One generation scale of fuck ups.

AGRacing

Marathon has awesome style. Probably will play someday on PC. Looking forward to FF16 but keeping my expectations in check. Don’t get me wrong the other stuff wasn’t horrible but it’s just uninspired, or remakes/ports. Bad showcase but I am thinking this gen will end up going the way the PS4 did in that it’s biggest years will be in its twilight. 2024 through 2026 will probably be nuts.
There were plenty of great things to play on PS4 prior to PS4 Pro. This generation makes me wish I just waited for the PS5 Pro before I bought anything at all.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Nowadays some people just whip themselves into insane hype frenzies (encouraged by the usual suspects, game show hosts, influencers, and the like. You know who I'm talking about), and then they come out disappointed no matter what it's showcased.

The show wasn't incredible, but it wasn't terrible either. It had a lot of cool games and some real bangers.

And I'm the jaded one... 🤔

Nowadays some people just whip themselves into insane hype frenzies (encouraged by the usual suspects, game show hosts, influencers, and the like. You know who I'm talking about), and then they come out disappointed no matter what it's showcased.

The show wasn't incredible, but it wasn't terrible either. It had a lot of cool games and some real bangers.

And I'm the jaded one... 🤔
the show was pretty bad. there is no need to do damage control.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Very underwhelming.

It was a good "games show" because some games such as Phantom Blade, Towers of Aghasba, AC Mirage, Tower of Fantasy, Spider-Man 2, Helldivers 2, etc. showed up and looked great.

However, it was a very poor "PlayStation Studios show" because there were no surprises. We knew about Spider-Man 2 going into it and that remained the biggest one in the show. Hence, the disappointment. And then the games they did show didn't have any gameplay.

The worst thing is that it's not like they don't have anything to show. It's just that they decided once again not to show them: Death Stranding 2, Silent Hill 2, TLOU Factions, Twisted Metal, Horizon Multiplayer. They could also show Bluepoint's, Asobi's, and Santa Monica's new game, and the show would be 10/10.

Right now, it was more like a 6/10 (would be 7/10 if they hadn't made us wait for 20 months).

Fabieter

Very underwhelming.

It was a good "games show" because some games such as Phantom Blade, Towers of Aghasba, AC Mirage, Tower of Fantasy, Spider-Man 2, Helldivers 2, etc. showed up and looked great.

However, it was a very poor "PlayStation Studios show" because there were no surprises. We knew about Spider-Man 2 going into it and that remained the biggest one in the show. Hence, the disappointment. And then the games they did show didn't have any gameplay.

The worst thing is that it's not like they don't have anything to show. It's just that they decided once again not to show them: Death Stranding 2, Silent Hill 2, TLOU Factions, Twisted Metal, Horizon Multiplayer. They could also show Bluepoint's, Asobi's, and Santa Monica's new game, and the show would be 10/10.

Right now, it was more like a 6/10 (would be 7/10 if they hadn't made us wait for 20 months).

Well I think its a good move for sony to get the games on pc but ultimately it is what takes hype of announcements too. If its day one on pc it wont get the same hype as playstation studios used to and the rest is timed which tampers the hype too. I really think that hype shows are over for playstation too because of this no matter what they show.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Well I think its a good move for sony to get the games on pc but ultimately it is what takes hype of announcements too. If its day one on pc it wont get the same hype as playstation studios used to and the rest is timed which tampers the hype too. I really think that hype shows are over for playstation too because of this no matter what they show.
Agree except the second better.

Not all games will be PC day one, and they can create hype by showing those games. The problems with this Showcase were that (1) they didn't show those games (Bluepoint's, SSM's, Team Asobi's, Bend's, etc.) and (2) the PS5/PC games they showed didn't have any gameplay footage, just CGI trailers.

Rea

Fucking shit to be honest. Only Spider-Man looks interesting from 1st party studio. And all of those Fucking GASS garbage, god damn. And Sony's investing 60% of the entire gaming budget. Fuck sake.

GaaS was a mistake. Most of what was shown looked like shovelware that should have been shown at Summer Game Fest. At least we got confirmation of MGS and finally got to see gameplay for Spider-Man 2. Hopefully the other showings are stronger than this because it was pretty underwhelming.

There were plenty of great things to play on PS4 prior to PS4 Pro. This generation makes me wish I just waited for the PS5 Pro before I bought anything at all.

Some great ones yeah, but the onslaught of hits didn’t start until 2017 and then it never stopped. I’m also not saying PS5 doesn’t have great games in the first couple years. But I expect the cadence of big releases to pick up later on, given what we’ve seen and what studios Sony owns.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I still think they are holding onto bigger 1P reveals for other events like SGF and Tokyo Game Show, as well as the TGAs, but this showcase did leave a lot to be desired.

And Project-Q looks like it's DOA. If you really think about it, the only exclusives they showed that were new reveals, AAA and not live-service/GaaS are Phantom Blade 0 and Spiderman 2. A whole two games.

I'm hoping the Xbox Showcase and SGF bring more to the playing field. I was pretty surprised at the lack some bigger 3P AAA reveals. Zero Bandai-Namco or Sega-Atlus at the showcase for example. No WB, either, no Take-Two, no Ubisoft. No Stellar Blade, no update on Silent Hill 2, etc.

Okay I think that's a bit too reductive. Is it the visual jump it probably should've been? No. But it's still a really good-looking game.

Although I hope there is more game mechanic variety than what the footage today showed. Although I have to say, going back to the visuals for a second, if the (most likely BS) rumor Hellblade II releasing this year is true, that might take it in terms of visual showcase for the year.
Yeah spider man 2 looks fine....and I'll be there day one. I loved the first game. What bothered me is this was clearly 30fps too. It just didn't look as good as I expected. Lots of low quality shadowing etc on the effects. Also I think showing dusk is always tough in games. It looked a lot better once they were inside with the lighting.

I think overall, sony deserves to be pulled over the coals by their fanbase here...im not going to accept any hopefuly excuses from their fanbase of, they are waiting for tgs etc.....this was the first playstation showcase in basically two years and it wasnt just lack lustre it was down right atrocious....

Cg trailers galore, no gameplay, all multiplatform games and anything that was gameplay looked to be captured on PC.

Sony literally has nothing for its fanbase for how long? Not even a tease of dates in 2024? How can factions not be here...?

im just blown away now ive had time to sleep on it. This is the worst show in like a decade.
i6BASLB.jpg
So true lol
Few years ago Sony was all about that "captured on PS5"... now we get shit load of CG trailers, many not even in engine; bad sign.
Yeah, really, really bad show...I'm actually dumb founded....

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
Yeah spider man 2 looks fine....and I'll be there day one. I loved the first game. What bothered me is this was clearly 30fps too. It just didn't look as good as I expected. Lots of low quality shadowing etc on the effects. Also I think showing dusk is always tough in games. It looked a lot better once they were inside with the lighting.

I think overall, sony deserves to be pulled over the coals by their fanbase here...im not going to accept any hopefuly excuses from their fanbase of, they are waiting for tgs etx.....this was the first playstation showcase in basically two years and it wasnt just lack lustre it was down right atrocious....

Cg trailers galore, no gameplay, all multiplatform games and anything that was gameplay looked to be captured on PC.

Sony literally has nothing for its fanbase for how long? Not even a tease of dates in 2024? How can factions not be here...?

im just blown away bow ive had time to sleep on it. This is the worst show in like a decade.

So true lol

Yeah, really, really bad show...I'm actually dumb founded....
Sony has been really tight lipped the past few years until close to release. I see no reason they would break that new way of doing things. Even for a showcase.

We know they have games they could have shown. They didn't because they don't do that anymore until close to release. I know it's frustrating but I know I enjoy this more than the traditional years long hype cycle.

draliko

The only thing I got from the show is time to move back to pc (miss only a decent GPU), everything interesting is 3rd party or coming to pc, I'm probably gonna sell the Xbox (since the D1 parity and gamepass on pc) and keep the ps5 for the kids (or other way around). All in all gaming seems less exciting... Anyway decent show, expected lot more sincerely

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sony has been really tight lipped the past few years until close to release. I see no reason they would break that new way of doing things. Even for a showcase.

We know they have games they could have shown. They didn't because they don't do that anymore until close to release. I know it's frustrating but I know I enjoy this more than the traditional years long hype cycle.

Bro, cut it with that.....why the fuck would they have a showcase after two years that was basically CG footage and captured on PC content with no real dates if whatever dream scenario to cope with this was true.

They obviously have very little for the next, what? 12 to 18 months? Factions might be a big summer game next year? Or winter?

All their games look to be ps4 games that were up ported to ps5...and that's the same for spider man 2 as well.

I'm not accepting any Sony fans trying to defend this absolute turd of a showcase...can't believe I got excited for it..

Sony deserve nothing but heat for this.

Bro, cut it with that.....why the fuck would they have a showcase after two years that was basically CG footage and captured on PC content with no real dates if whatever dream scenario to cope with this was true.

They obviously have very little for the next, what? 12 to 18 months? Factions might be a big summer game next year? Or winter?

All their games look to be ps4 games that were up ported to ps5...and that's the same for spider man 2 as well.

I'm not accepting any Sony fans trying to defend this absolute turd of a showcase...can't believe I got excited for it..

Sony deserve nothing but heat for this.

On a positive note its not the end of Sony we have seen them pull out of even worse situations.

Sure the showcase was a bit of a miss but sometimes you have to wait. And I understand how bad it can be because Xbox fans had to go through this recently. Just like Xbox things will change for the better.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Based on your posts here I've seen, you are anything but sane. Keep putting that obnoxious smiley face to hide your tears.

Considering who's speaking, that's a compliment. Keep crying about an overhyped showcase that ended up being just good. I'll enjoy the *plenty* of interesting games that were on show.

Granblue Fantasy, Dragon's Dogma 2, MGS3, FFXVI, Alan Wake, Spider-Man 2, and plenty more. There's way more than enough in there to justify an hour of my time. I'll let ya'll deal with your bitter disappointment and pout in your own little corner. 😂

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Oh well, the wait begins for the second Showcase in September.;) I'll play Final Fantasy XVI, Street Fighter 6 and Zelda til then.:coffee:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
On a positive note its not the end of Sony we have seen them pull out of even worse situations.

Sure the showcase was a bit of a miss but sometimes you have to wait. And I understand how bad it can be because Xbox fans had to go through this recently. Just like Xbox things will change for the better.

Oh you are right. The good games will come...I don't know when, but they are obviously working on things....

Tbh, I think it would have been more positive for Sony to do a state of play and just openly say, these are what's coming this year...stuff is taking time..bear with us...

I mean I dunno, it was really bad. Like worse than I think any of us could imagine when you really think about it....its not just what was shown...it was the whole usual trope of CG trailers, no gameplay, no idea of a date...just down right bad...all PC footage I think?

buenoblue

Checks internet after big event and everyone hates everything as usual 🤷‍♂️. Getting boring now. These live stream events are hard to get a good grasp of what a game actually looks like because the streams are so low quality. Even a 4k vid on YouTube doesn't do a game justice compared to running a game on a nice tv.

acm2000

Well I hope MS has something up their sleeves cause this was very dull.

Only thing that gave me a bit of a semi lob on was Alan Wake 2, I just love Remedy's games.

Splatoon rip off was just.. 🤣

Oh you are right. The good games will come...I don't know when, but they are obviously working on things....

Tbh, I think it would have been more positive for Sony to do a state of play and just openly say, these are what's coming this year...stuff is taking time..bear with us...

I mean I dunno, it was really bad. Like worse than I think any of us could imagine when you really think about it....its not just what was shown...it was the whole usual trope of CG trailers, no gameplay, no idea of a date...just down right bad...all PC footage I think?

Both Microsoft and Sony have shown us that it's possible to have a bad event but be able to deliver with the games. I wouldn't put too much thought into this showcase because things can change pretty quickly.

What I usually focus on is the quality of releases. Lately Sony has been doing a pretty good job but if that starts to plummet then I would start to get worried.

I understand that good games can take time to make but nobody should be making excuses for bad games.

Bkdk

Biggest surprise for me is absolutely nothing for stellar blade, is this game officially dead, or being remake into a black female lead or something? Just give me some closure please sony.

emivita

Disappointed Malcolm In The Middle GIF by Malcolm France

I rated the conference a D in the other thread, but it was more like a D--. The only game I really liked was Alan Wake 2, because it exactly looks like the horror experience I'm searching for (pity for digital version only, hopefully there is a physical version on a later date). The rest was subpar. It was mostly a third-party showcase, something you would expect from a Geoff's showcase.

First party-wise was really disappointing. Helldivers 2 embarassing trailer ran at like 15 fps and looked uninspired as hell. Fairgames and Marathon were CGI and I didn't feel a spark at all. Concord was basically just a logo. Spider-man 2 trailer also chugged in some scenes, and was graphically below the expectations, even in the 4K version - poor color palette, character models and GFX effects that looked very old-gen.

I'm not impressed, at all. Sony showed 4 GAAS and one SP game, which isn't a promising sign for SP gamers like me. The more I think of it, the more I realize retrogaming is the way to go for me.

And the prize for the most cringey game of the showcase goes to... Foamstars. Really, what they were thinking?

Reallink

As I've mentioned before, Jim Ryan has a strong aversion to the big "event conferences" and sees no reason to showcase future titles so long as PS5 sells 15-20+ million units a year. He doesn't care about building the Playstation "Platform" or "Brand", he just wants to sell their tent pole software a la carte, and his strategy is marketing state of plays a couple months before their games release. The overwhelming super majority of gamers respond favorably to this strategy, as evidenced by Nintendo's incredible success with the Direct format, and now Sony's success with the PS5 generation's State of Plays. While I personally haven't watched a Nintendo direct or Nintendo video in general since their last E3 one like 3 or 4 years ago, and happily skipped the last 3 or 4 State of Plays once the Jimbo pattern was recognized, I'm clearly in a very small minority.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Expectations are everything in cases like that.
And if you have waited 20 months for your showcase and you have shown 5 first-party games, while
1 being multiplatform release
3 shown primarily (or entirely) through CGI
1 already announced game that didn't even got release date

You know you have fucked up.
Especially when you have almost 20 first-party studios and several partnerships to release exclusive games.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Agree except the second better.

Not all games will be PC day one, and they can create hype by showing those games. The problems with this Showcase were that (1) they didn't show those games (Bluepoint's, SSM's, Team Asobi's, Bend's, etc.) and (2) the PS5/PC games they showed didn't have any gameplay footage, just CGI trailers.

I know not all games are day one but I think as far as hype goes it doesn't matter. Pc guys won't hype it the same way they did with playstation in the past. Games will still sell.

But sony and the fans need to accept that the insane hype is a thing from the past.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Expectations are everything in cases like that.
And if you have waited 20 months for your showcase and you have shown 5 first-party games, while
1 being multiplatform release
3 shown primarily (or entirely) through CGI
1 already announced game that didn't even got release date

You know you have fucked up.
Especially when you have almost 20 first-party studios and several partnerships to release exclusive games.
I wish there was a game event that becomes mega large that all game companies want to participate in that has “No CG” as a rule.

Boy, I'm just glad I haven't become as jaded as some of you. What a horrible way to go through life. I mean I could understand if Sony was like MS, where there has been a drought and most of the games they release are mediocre, but that's not the case. And there were quite a lot of games in that showcase to get excited about.

I'll just plant myself in the nearly 90% of gamers who actually liked the showcase on YouTube.

near

Gold Member
Biggest pile of bull I've seen, I'm sorry but after an 18 month absence of proper showcase communication and after hyping up this event as the "next phase" of your console's lifecycle, you cannot give us indie bargain bin titles, uninspired CG trailers, A FILM TRAILER and only one real big first party title (which didn't even get a release date.)

It's an embarrassment and makes me deeply concerned about the future of PlayStation, not in terms of them being doomed and going bankrupt or anything dramatic like that, but this generation could easily be a dud on the levels of the Xbox One generation scale of fuck ups.

This is hyperbole. What did you honestly expect from this showcase? Really? Because some of you seem to think Sony's first party development arm are gods or something. Let me break it down for you, in a way you could've tampered your expectations.

Santa Monica Studio - Just released GoW Ragnarok, Cory's game hasn't been in development long, and started at the earliest 2020/21.

Naughty Dog - Team rebooted Factions, Druckmann started new project concurrently sometime mid to late 2020. Been in development for 3 years if we are being generous.

Sucker Punch - Sequel/new project has been in development since 20/21. It's been cooking 2.5 years tops.

Studio Bend - would anyone really be excited for this anyway? This has been in development for a while, post Days Gone. 3/4 years of development. Could be shown soon, unless they're struggling.

Insomniac - SM2 shown. What else did you expect realistically? Wolverine? lol

Bluepoint - released DS remake 3 years ago, but this next project is their first non-remake/reboot. Dev cycle is unknown, but 4-5 years is a given.

Guerrilla - has been milking Horizon, you just got one.

Those are your heavy hitters. Who else did you expect Sony to show off? I think what they showed off has an audience, I, for one, enjoyed a lot of the content. You can relax with your negative activism.

Nico_D

Is Tina Turner to blame for this??

What's love got to do with it? (Edit: well, fuck, someone else beat me. With the most obvious joke, who would've guessed)

For me, so far the only current gen games I've played on PS5 have been Hogwarts and Ratchet & Clank. The latter was graphically superb but gameplay was disappointing, more of the same for the series but less interesting than in the previous games. There's honestly nothing new for me to play on the platform, it may be may taste but nothing really seems to capture me with their gameplay. While I can appreciate pretty pictures, those alone can't get me buy a game. Very weak three years in.

Last edited:

Fabieter

This is hyperbole. What did you honestly expect from this showcase? Really? Because some of you seem to think Sony's first party development arm are gods or something. Let me break it down for you, in a way you could've tampered your expectations.

Santa Monica Studio - Just released GoW Ragnarok, Cory's game hasn't been in development long, and started at the earliest 2020/21.

Naughty Dog - Team rebooted Factions, Druckmann started new project concurrently sometime mid to late 2020. Been in development for 3 years if we are being generous.

Sucker Punch - Sequel/new project has been in development since 20/21. It's been cooking 2.5 years tops.

Studio Bend - would anyone really be excited for this anyway? This has been in development for a while, post Days Gone. 3/4 years of development. Could be shown soon, unless they're struggling.

Insomniac - SM2 shown. What else did you expect realistically? Wolverine? lol

Bluepoint - released DS remake 3 years ago, but this next project is their first non-remake/reboot. Dev cycle is unknown, but 4-5 years is a given.

Guerrilla - has been milking Horizon, you just got one.

Those are your heavy hitters. Who else did you expect Sony to show off? I think what they showed off has an audience, I, for one, enjoyed a lot of the content. You can relax with your negative activism.

Don't you think it's important to tell sony when they dont do stuff like fans expect then to. They acted in the stream like the stream was gold. It really wasnt.

near

Gold Member
Don't you think it's important to tell sony when they dont do stuff like fans expect then to. They acted in the stream like the stream was gold. It really wasnt.

Fans can have unrealistic expectations. I don't think they give a fuck when you're not being rational or offering constructive criticism.

Top Bottom