• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Showcase 2023 |OT| Show as a Service! (1pm PT / 4pm ET / 9pm BST) (No Spoilers!)

Rate the Blow... Showcase

• Total voters
With their Splatoon and Paper Mario clones and their take on the Wii U....copying Nintendo according to the reactions in this thread.

My opinion on the Project Q.

I don't really see the point in it. However if they designed a Dualsense for mobile devices that would have been a much better idea IMO. Definitely something I would consider buying since I don't really like touch screen controls.

phone-controller-2-1655614327273.jpg

Something like this is what I would have liked to see.

But a weird portable that's designed around streaming games from your PS5 doesn't really interest me.

3de62aa0-fa77-11ed-b37a-0223d210a733.cf.jpg

This device just seems weird to me. Not sure what it's use will be. When I'm at home I'll just use my TV. On the go streaming can be an option but I'm not a fan of it. But being able to play native games on my phone/ipad with it would be great.

Sorry for my rant.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Helldivers I think had some gameplay but that's also out this year. You are correct that most of the ps5/pc are pretty far dated out or if at all.
I don't think it's even that far to be honest. They just didn't show gameplay.

I can see Haven's game not having proper show-worthy gameplay just yet. But Firewalk has gameplay ready to be shown. Marathon would also have proper gameplay footage by now.

They could have shown more. They just decided to do the bare minimum when they could have done more -- which is frustrating.

I don't know, it feels like Sony has another show this year (like they had 2 in 2020). It just seems like the only logical justification for the poor way they've handled it so far.

My opinion on the Project Q.

I don't really see the point in it. However if they designed a Dualsense for mobile devices that would have been a much better idea IMO. Definitely something I would consider buying since I don't really like touch screen controls.

phone-controller-2-1655614327273.jpg

Something like this is what I would have liked to see.

But a weird portable that's designed around streaming games from your PS5 doesn't really interest me.
I do agree with this. Controller attachments for tablets and phones would have been a better option.

The only redeeming thing would be if the Q has some kind of tech in it to help improve the latency of streaming. I think there was talk of a patent from Cerny that was about this exact thing. Not sure how accurate that is or if the Q will take advantage of it. Either way, it better be cheap. Anything over $99 and it's DOA.

I do agree with this. Controller attachments for tablets and phones would have been a better option.

The only redeeming thing would be if the Q has some kind of tech in it to help improve the latency of streaming. I think there was talk of a patent from Cerny that was about this exact thing. Not sure how accurate that is or if the Q will take advantage of it. Either way, it better be cheap. Anything over $99 and it's DOA.

I guess I think its weird they went this direction. There's already a way to stream PS5 games to my tablet/phone. It would be great if I had a Dualsense Dock to go with that. Much more useful to me IMO.

And heck why stop there?

I have retro gaming handhelds that use Bluetooth. Something like that would be great for them if I wanted better controls than what my devices have.

Edit: Example of one of the devices that I have. It would benefit from better controls.

RETROID-POCKET-2-RETRO-LISTING-PICTURE-0-1.png

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
I mean sony themselves called it phase 2 mic drop showcase after 20 month of abstinence. It was realistic to expect more than this.
We can’t just blame it on expectations. I didn’t expect much and still came out disappointed. It is just simply a bad show. They need consistency. A show every 6 months even if it is small updates. I mean they are not traveling or much preparation is done. It is a fucking long video.

Not surprising to see the usual suspects with Sony employees damage control on here.

Famipan

Quoting MasterCornholio: I guess I think its weird they went this direction. There's already a way to stream PS5 games to my tablet/phone. It would be great if I had a Dualsense Dock to go with that. Much more useful to me

And heck why stop there?
I have retro gaming handhelds that use Bluetooth. Something like that would be great for them if I wanted better controls than what my devices have.

Edit: Example of one of the devices that I have. It would benefit from better controls.

RETROID-POCKET-2-RETRO-LISTING-PICTURE-0-1.png
That’s a great idea! But making a smartphone holder that fits well with most devices while allows comfortable playing with the Sense may be too difficult to make it look stylish enough?

Battery would die really fast but instead of having a heavy battery underneath it’s better to connect it to a charger/powerbank. But the phone battery will still wear out fast and replacing battery for newer iphone models at least is getting more expensive.

Last edited:

Fabieter

We can’t just blame it on expectations. I didn’t expect much and still came out disappointed. It is just simply a bad show. They need consistency. A show every 6 months even if it is small updates. I mean they are not traveling or much preparation is done. It is a fucking long video.

Not surprising to see the usual suspects with Sony employees damage control on here.

Well that's also true. A show every 4 to 6 month would have made this alot more bearable tho.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This showcase made me happy because maybe, just maybe, people will shut up about a "dedicated Playstation handheld" now. Not happening and there's exactly why.

Games were meh.

T-Cake

I kind of like the look of Project Q, it'll be easier than faffing about with an iPhone and DualSense separately. I can see this device ultimately about being able to access games via PS+ Premium in the cloud though. If your own internet upload speed is terrible, you won't be able to connect to your PS5 from outside the house. But you will be able to connect to the PS+ servers more reliably.

boomcrab

Lol every single time. Please for once GAF temper your expectations. These shows never have what most of you want. It'll probably be factions, Spiderman 2, and a bunch of other stuff the majority of you won't care about. Then you'll all say it was the worst showcase they've ever had and blah blah blah. It happens literally every single time.
My post days ago. GAF is hilariously predictable. You guys need to stop making personal wishlists everytime one of these things happen and be more realistic. The showcase was totally fine if you had appropriate expectations.
Sometimes these reactions make me think many of you haven't been following videogames for too long at all. Anyway the games are on the way and you'll all be fine lol

hemo memo

Gold Member
My post days ago. GAF is hilariously predictable. You guys need to stop making personal wishlists everytime one of these things happen and be more realistic. The showcase was totally fine if you had appropriate expectations.
Sometimes these reactions make me think many of you haven't been following videogames for too long at all. Anyway the games are on the way and you'll all be fine lol
It wasn’t though. I had very low expectations. I’ve actually watched it this morning instead of live as it start 11PM here. No, the show wasn’t “fine”. It is a CG fest and boring. Not just expectations.

Sorry, but 80 % of the games shown will be forgotten in a year from now. Spoiler: No defender of this show will play them either, doesn't matter how much you deny it. All these gaas games with hipster characters have "closed after 6 months" written all over them. With indie games it's always the same too. Either they never come out, or no one notices their release, because they are forgettable and have no marketing budget left. It feels like I've seen at least 3 other variations of that "drawing jumps out into the world" concept at different Sony/Microsoft showcases, let alone all the pretentious "I'm so whimsy" titles. A new cyberpunk pixel game would have made the farce complete, lol.

However. Throwing the entire generation under the bus? There's being limits to being reasonably critical too. We're a week away from a month that has Diablo 4, FF16 and Street Fighter 6 in it. Armored Core 6 shortly after.

SSfox

I'm kinda worried they're putting too much effort on the GaaS trash and it may take away for some real games in terms of devs and money, we can already see that.

Like bruh they closed Japan Studio for that Haven trash shit and other GaaS, Hermen as i said has no taste in gaming.

And i fucking love GT, but what the FUCK they were thinking by putting movie trailer there?

This PS Showcase has been carried by 3rd Party like Capcom, Remedy, and cie

Last edited:
Woke up today thinking yesterday was just a bad dream but sadly not. The disappointment reeks after a week of being hyped for a showcase after a few years.

No first party games for 2024 and beyond confirmed by Sony, Spider-Man this fall and nothing beyond that, surely there must be another show case or state of play toward the rear end of the year. It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if we got pure GAAS games in 2024.

Last edited:

99$/€ ? C'mon man, that's wishful thinking, how can it cost 99 from the moment the Dualsense alone goes for 70+ on most retailers? Add another 50+ to that (minimum) for the screen, some RAM/ROM and we're looking at 180$/€ at best.

Just the phone holder+ buttons combo "devices" like the backbone and Razer Kishi cost 100$ which are literally pieces of plastic and you think that a proper streaming device with its own screen could retail at the same price ?

I mean, don't get me wrong, in an ideal world this thing would cost around the 160 eurodollars mark but...this is Sony we're talking about and they'll find a way to shoot themselves in the foot by releasing this at 250 most probably (minimum) since the Logitech streaming handheld goes for 300.

IF the price is right I'd be actually interested, thing is, it won't be .

Just my 2 euro-cents obviously.

Cheers

Last edited:

Fabieter

99$/€ ? C'mon man, that's wishful thinking, how can it cost 99 from the moment the Dualsense alone goes for 70+ on most retailers? Add another 50+ to that (minimum) for the screen, some RAM/ROM and we're looking at 180$/€ at best.

Just the phone holder+ buttons combo "devices" like the backbone and Razer Kishi cost 100$ which are literally pieces of plastic and you think that a proper streaming device with its own screen could retail at the same price ?

I mean, don't get me wrong, in an ideal world this thing would cost around the 160 eurodollars mark but...this is Sony we're talking about and they'll find a way to shoot themselves in the foot by releasing this at 250 most probably (minimum) since the Logitech streaming handheld goes for 300.

Cheers

Yea but the logitech handheld is a hardsell to when you get a steamdeck for hundred euro more.

Astray

Gold Member

I feel that if this is a show that followed another more recent show then it would have been good, but this show coming on the heels of an 18 month silence just ain't it at all.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I'm kinda worried they're putting too much effort on the GaaS trash and it may take away for some real games in terms of devs and money, we can already see that.

Like bruh they closed Japan Studio for that Haven trash shit and other GaaS, Hermen as i said has no taste in gaming.

GaaS is quite clearly sucking the life out of the industry. Talented devs used to working on single player projects are being told to make GaaS games that they probably have no interest in.

And boy, does it show.

Greed, as ever, controls everything. Fortnite has been so bad for the games industry as a whole.

SSfox

GaaS is quite clearly sucking the life out of the industry. Talented devs used to working on single player projects are being told to make GaaS games that they probably have no interest in.

And boy, does it show.

Greed, as ever, controls everything. Fortnite has been so bad for the games industry as a whole.
Yes, great example is Capcom, just look at them, they're in very great spot and easily one of the best dev right now, if not best with Fromsoft.

That's because they just keep doing what they always did and focus and what they're good at, Cf great games. Instead of spreading themselves into bunch of trash like mobile or gaas like Sony is doing since Jim and Hermen leadership, following MS, and EA routes... Capcom have a great Fighting game coming SF6, great horror games with RE, Action game with DMC5, RPG medivial with DD2, they put some mid games sometimes like that Expo game but the ratio of trash compare to good is kinda low. And they still haven't reveal the next gen Monster Hunter yet.

Sony has been more exciting during PS3 and PS4, Hermen can keep saying they will still make solo games, but so far it's been mostly safe sequels city with lack of freshness, the fact that Hermen and Jim thought this is a great show is very concerning about their gaming taste.

Also where are Stellar Blade and Rise Of Ronin? And what about Persona or Dragon Quest? It was also weird that neither Tekken 8 and Mortal Kombat 1 weren't there, reminder that Sony owns Evo, Aka the biggest fighting game tournament. And Tekken 8 have marketing deal with Sony also.

The best stuffs was 3rd party, and the only good 1st party thing was Spiderman 2 and that's IT, and it was something we all knew it will be there.

So many Shooters and much less of everything else.

Last edited:
Fairgames: Couldn't look any more generic if it tried.

Helldivers 2: First one was pretty good and decent trailer that showed gameplay, not bad.

GhostRunner 2: Might be excited for this one if the first game didn't crash every time I get to the third level.

Phantom Blade: Looks amazing, but sus as hell. Highly doubt the combat plays out as shown.

Final Fantasy: Seen it so many times now that this wasn't exciting. Still the first one I actually want to play though.

Plucky Squire: Looks absolutely incredible. But this trailer didn't really add anything to what we saw of it last year.

Foamstars: I like Splatoon so... Maybe. The art style is pretty off putting though.

MGS: Ok I was expecting this to just be a resolution bump remaster or something. So the fact they're making CGI trailers for it suggests it might be something bigger. Cautiously optimistic.

PSVR2 games: By far the biggest disappointment. Not even one first party game in the works? Not even Astro Bot? Fuck off Sony.

Marathon: Oh Bungie are rebooting their old I.P. this might be interesti... Oh it's another extraction shooter. Next.

Concord: No name studio working on a no name IP with a trailer showing no gameplay... Exciting.

Project Q: If it's cheap, then actually not the worst idea in the world imo.

Spider-Man 2: Looks awesome. Seems like we have some SSD supported character switching and fast traversal going on. Exactly what I was hoping for.

Other third party stuff like Alan Wake and Dragon's Dogma look fine, but I have no interest in them.

Like I said before, first time I've ever been underwhelmed by a big Playstation showing.

Last edited:
All those Aquistion Dollars and all we saw was Ports of old PC games, Remasters and Service games .

PSVR2 was almost all older PC VR games . Why the hell would I spend $550 for a PSVR2 when I can play the same games cheaper on a wireless headset and can't even play my older games on it.

Trying to squeeze the most profit out of the least effort is the new sony.

Checks internet after big event and everyone hates everything as usual 🤷‍♂️. Getting boring now. These live stream events are hard to get a good grasp of what a game actually looks like because the streams are so low quality. Even a 4k vid on YouTube doesn't do a game justice compared to running a game on a nice tv.
You can’t polish a turd. No matter what you watched it on it was mostly generic SAAS “games”

T-Cake

I think my overall takeaway from this showcase was that I no longer wish to build a digital library for PS5. PS+ Extra (and PC Game Pass) are great ways to try new games out. I think Steam is still the best way to go for purchases thereafter.

Cheers
I didn't say it was going to cost that much. I said any higher and it's DOA. Which it most likely will cost more than that, so...DOA.

AGRacing

Gold Member
It wasn't fine. Sony can and has blown us away many times in the past. This was the E3 season timed "showcase" and it sucked. Opener sucked. Closer should have just been shown as its own separate thing.

We are back to full on cocky Sony and I personally can't be bothered when they're in this state anymore.

There are some in here who have the right idea. I suspect most of them have been around with Sony since 95 or similar like I have. The best way to bring these guys back to mic dropping showcases is to buy an Xbox.

I think I'm going to drop the Playstation and PSVR2 for now and use the cash to get my kid a segway gokart for the summer. If they have their act together by the release of the PS5 Pro I'll revisit them at that time. I've got a killer PC and an Xbox.

If I do this it will be the first time in the almost 30 years of Playstation where I didnt own it.

gothmog

Gold Member
Bro, cut it with that.....why the fuck would they have a showcase after two years that was basically CG footage and captured on PC content with no real dates if whatever dream scenario to cope with this was true.

They obviously have very little for the next, what? 12 to 18 months? Factions might be a big summer game next year? Or winter?

All their games look to be ps4 games that were up ported to ps5...and that's the same for spider man 2 as well.

I'm not accepting any Sony fans trying to defend this absolute turd of a showcase...can't believe I got excited for it..

Sony deserve nothing but heat for this.
I'm not defending what should have never been hyped up so high in the first place. If you looked at any comment I made before the showcase I said that I was both happy to see what's coming and looking forward to seeing people crushed by their own hype. The showcase succeeded on both fronts. Would I have liked more gameplay? Sure, but it's not a deal killer. Play your little trailer and move on.

I think Sony just went safe rather than ambitious. I also think they held off on announcing any more exclusives for now due to the ABK drama. Disappointing? Sure.

One thing I think people gloss over was that many of these games are coming really soon which I consider a good thing.

Reactions: TLZ
Top Bottom