• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Showcase 2023 |OT| Show as a Service! (1pm PT / 4pm ET / 9pm BST) (No Spoilers!)

Rate the Blow... Showcase

• Total voters

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The asset quality is mostly there; some building and environment textures could be improved but that should come over the next few months. Main character models look pretty good, though maybe more fabric details in the spandex part of the outfits could be useful. Background character models could be improved, some enemy grunt models could be improved too.

The lighting is actually very good, so I don't get that complaint. It's probably one of the visual elements that seems very far along, there are parts in the outdoor fights that have almost (good) superhero film lighting and color grading. Water physics could be much better, especially with body collisions into the water, and I guess that'd tie into simulations like fluid body models, etc. There could be more volumetric particle effects too, like faint dust in the air of the warehouse that interact with the light, more moist/dew on the suits after they emerge from within the water, moist/dew in damp parts of the factory where there's a lot of heat, etc.

And while native 4K could be questionable, it does do really well for image quality/IQ. Things do look very crisp. Though, if they could get close to that same IQ with lower native & reconstruction, I'd take that if it means more finer visual details & touches graphically.
Nah, asset quality is a gen behind the matrix stuff. Look at the rocks, the water textures, the boat, the pier, the bricks. everything. Look at the asset quality in the matrix for every single object in the game below. Makes Spiderman look like a souped up last gen game.

HrJZDa2.gif

HrJmrlf.gif

Character models look last gen as fuck. Hell, some last gen games have better looking character models than this:

iggfgLz.jpg

the-last-of-us2-ellie-and-dina.gif

Fw_DitPXsA0ksqV

The_Matrix_Awakens__An_Unreal_Engine_5_Experience_2021-12-10_16-26-44.jpg

The_Matrix_Awakens__An_Unreal_Engine_5_Experience_2021-12-10_16-18-48.jpg

The_Matrix_Awakens__An_Unreal_Engine_5_Experience_2021-12-10_16-07-17.jpg

So I didn't get a chance to watch it live, as the wife and I went to our community pool, which opened this week. So I just finished it and took some notes along the way.

• Fairgame$: You open your show with “Trend Chasing, The Video Game”? Squad-based GAAS. Gen-Z/Fortnite-esque artstyle with neon pink, purple, and blue everywhere. Anti-capitalism message in a game that will no doubt be stuffed to the brim with battle passes, microtransactions, and currency. Fuck this. Whoever Haven studios is, I hope this game bombs and bankrupts them.
  • Helldivers 2: I don’t know what Helldivers 1 is, but I’ve heard many people praise it. After seeing this trailer, I don’t really understand why. Looks like another squad-based GAAS. Maybe I’m wrong.
  • Immortals of Aveum: So a fantasy themed FPS. I’m not going to play it, but It doesn’t immediately offend me. It looks fine, like a solid B. I just hate this trend of games set in other worlds or time periods, but everyone talks like they’re from the modern day. Also, again with the neon pink, purple, and blue everywhere. Why? Are there no other colors in the world?
  • Ghostrunner 2: Looks like more Ghostrunner. I can’t be mad at that. Makes me want to give Ghostrunner 1 a try again.
  • Phantom Blade 0: Looks like a good concept, but given that this is a no name Chinese developer, I have strong doubts that the gameplay will look like what we see here. I’ll keep my eye on this though.
  • Sword of the Sea: From the creators of Abzu and Journey. I’ll play it once when it’s free on PS+ just to enjoy the artstyle and then never think about it again.
  • The Talos Principle 2: A CG trailer for Talos Principle? You couldn’t show gameplay? Wow.
  • Neva: Another CG trailer? What is this about? What’s the genre? What do you do in the game?
  • Cat Quest: Looks super cute. I’ll probably play it when it comes to PS+, but it this really worthy of being on a PS Showcase?
  • Foamstars: Another squad-based GAAS with neon everywhere? Jesus Christ. So anyway, it’s Sony’s take on Splatoon.
  • The Plucky Squire: Oh, god. It’s this art style. What is this called? Because I hate it. Anyway, the 3D stuff was surprising and looked good. I just don’t think I can play the 2D sections, looking the way it does.
  • Teardown: I don’t understand what this is. You break in and steal things, then escape, right? But the twist is the whole world looks like Minecraft or Legos.
  • MGS3 Remake: I don’t like Hideo Kojima or MGS, but I’m happy for people that do. Enjoy. However, fuck you to CG trailers.
  • Towers of Aghasba: So BoTW, with base building. Not for me, but this has its audience, I’m sure.
  • Final Fantasy 16: I’ve never been a Final Fantasy fan, but I guess it looks good for fans of the series.
  • Alan Wake 2: Cautiously optimistic. I’m a mild fan of Remedy and thought the Alan Wake franchise had untapped potential. That being said, a great big fuck you to Remedy for making this digital only. “Pre-order now.” Why? It’s not like you’re going to run out of digital copies.
  • Assassin’s Creed Whatever-the-Fuck: It just astounds me people still buy these games. They just seem so fucking shallow to me. This is the first trailer I just straight up skipped.
  • Revenant Hill: “We has art!” Okay, but do you has gameplay? Seriously, what the fuck is this?
  • Granblue Fantasy Relink: Looks okay. I usually play one JRPG each year (that’s all I can manage, without burning myself out on all the JRPG tropes). I’ll keep an eye on this.
  • Street Fighter 6: I’m not feeling this artstyle. I didn’t care for the look of SF5 and this looks about the same. I’m more of a King of Fighters or Guilty Gear guy. Also, all the new characters look like shit. Luke and everyone that has come after him can get flushed straight down the memory hole. In addition, if the create a fighter options look as boring as they’re displayed here, why even bother?
  • Ultros: I guess if Team Cherry isn’t going to release Hollow Knight Silksong anytime soon, someone else was bound to try and take a crack at it. I’m going to watch for this game.
  • Tower of Fantasy: I’m confused. Is this a single player RPG? Is it another squad based GAAS? What is going on?
  • Dragon’s Dogma 2: I’m happy for fans of the original, but everything I ever saw of DD1 told me it was not for me and this hasn’t changed my mind.
  • Five Nights at Freddy’s: The second trailer I skipped.
  • RE4 Remake VR: Okay, now I might actually have a reason to buy PSVR2 and this game.
  • Arizona Sunshine 2: I’m over zombie games personally, but good for fans of the genre.
  • Crossfire: Well, I guess you need some FPSes for your VR headset.
  • Synapse: VR FPS with telekinesis. Could be good.
  • Marathon: “Not Actual Gameplay”. Really? No kidding. I’m sorry, but I can’t get excited for CG trailers.
  • Destiny 2: Live service, GAAS. I don’t give a fuck. Third trailer I skipped completely.
  • Concord: See Marathon.
  • Project Q and Earbuds: What does Q do that I couldn’t just as easily do with my smart phone and a controller attachment? What do the earbuds do that many other earbuds or headsets don’t already do?
  • Spider-Man 2: Pete and Miles working together. Pete’s in the symbiote suit. Miles uses Ganke’s drone. Looks like a sequel to Spider-Man. I’m in.

Overall Thoughts: I’m not going to say this was bad, but it was not what I was expecting. They showed off a lot of games, but (a) too much GAAS, (b) too many CG trailers, and (c) where were Sony’s first party developers? It seems clear to me that this was intended to focus mostly on games releasing in the next year, which is fine. There’s nothing wrong with hyping games that are ready to roll, rather than spending an hour on games that won’t come out for two to four years, but, man, a couple of teasers from Sony first parties would have been appreciated to at least let us know what they’ve been working on.

Last edited:
I don't have a PS5 and haven't really played PS4 in ages due to having kids. I typically play my Switch or a hacked Vita..

I've been looking for a reason to get a PS5, but literally nothing in this showcase appealed to me. Literally nothing. I'm getting old I guess

Sony can and has blown us away many times in the past. This was the E3 season timed "showcase" and it sucked. Opener sucked. Closer should have just been shown as its own separate thing.
Exactly, everyone is like "yeah this was fine, what are you guys complaining about" when we were all there on those amazing E3 presentations when it seemed Sony cared and knew about their core audience. This games that are straight out of a checklist have nothing to do with the games that made Sony a gaming giant, where are your Final Fantasy VII moments, where are your Metal Gear moments, where are your Shadow of the Colossus moments. This is just a "hey kids, so you hate rich people right ?? And you like diversity right?? And you like marketing trends?? Yep! This is what our marketing team told us to build!! (Running on PC not actual game, not actual team also, separate team doing the CGI)"

AGRacing

Exactly, everyone is like "yeah this was fine, what are you guys complaining about" when we were all there on those amazing E3 presentations when it seemed Sony cared and knew about their core audience. This games that are straight out of a checklist have nothing to do with the games that made Sony a gaming giant, where are your Final Fantasy VII moments, where are your Metal Gear moments, where are your Shadow of the Colossus moments. This is just a "hey kids, so you hate rich people right ?? And you like diversity right?? And you like marketing trends?? Yep! This is what our marketing team told us to build!! (Running on PC not actual game, not actual team also, separate team doing the CGI)"
Bang on buddy.
Check It Out Tim And Eric GIF

sachos

Got to admit that I find the backlash from Alan Wake being digital only a little strange or rather a little more vocal than I'd have imagined.
Its good that some people with a voice are at least talking about it. 1/3 of games sold on PS are physical (based on their last financial reports), thats a lot of copies. I also find the PS fanbase is generally more aware of the importance of physical games, there are much more "classic" gamers imo. Same happened with the CBOMB issues until they got fixed.

Varteras

Gold Member
Who exactly is the people in "making people wait a year and a half"? We had plenty of videos and games released in the last year and a half. Is your real complaint that they called this a showcase? And if so is there something sacred about a "showcase" that I'm unfamiliar with?

Yeah, no. I'm not playing that game. There has been an expectation of a big gaming reveal event every year from Sony since they started doing them at E3. They even had multiple such events per year between E3, Gamescom, PSX, etc. This is the longest we've ever gone with so very little information on what's coming next exclusively for them. And now the expectation is that we'll have to wait at least another year. The term "showcase" has come with it the expectation that it is their big event for the year since they started using it in 2020. Replacing the term "conference" to distinguish that this is a big digital event versus live.

Could they have something else this year? Rumor is, yes. That this Fall we'll be getting another one from them, as what we got this week was supposedly what they had largely planned for Fall 2022 and it was delayed. It also wouldn't be the first time, at all, that they did more than one big event in a year. There is also every bit the possibility that this showcase, in hindsight, was a bigger deal than we imagined. Fairgame$, Concord, and Marathon (though not exclusive) might end up being big games that we'll feel silly having been disappointed by with their announcements.

As even Sony fanboys have said, "We know little more now of what's coming from Sony than what we have since Fall 2021, and nearly all their exclusives we've known about since 3 years ago are out". I get where you're coming from, but expectations were set many years ago and if State of Plays were regularly announcing big Sony games, I'd agree that people should have tempered themselves. But they don't. Little is known when normally we have a steady flow of what to look forward to with substantial information. This is the kind of holding pattern one expects from the end of a generation while we're waiting to see what the next generation brings. Instead, right now, we're experiencing that midgen. At this rate, we're looking at 2 to 2.5 years before we have any substantial knowledge of Sony's upcoming lineup for the middle of the generation.

Is PlayStation still way better off than Xbox? Sure. That's what happens when you release plenty of big games. It's still uncomfortable.

Fbh

I don't have a PS5 and haven't really played PS4 in ages due to having kids. I typically play my Switch or a hacked Vita..

I've been looking for a reason to get a PS5, but literally nothing in this showcase appealed to me. Literally nothing. I'm getting old I guess

Ps5 is just a ps4 pro pro.
It's primarily a device to play Ps4 games with nicer graphics and better performance, if you don't care too much about those things it's not really worth it.
The only other reason are "next gen exclusives" which are basically still just Ps4 games but which are no longer coming to last gen because devs and console makers need to give you reasons to buy "the new thing".

JustN82

Neo Member
Everyone spends so much time hyping themselves up and then will immediately complain afterward when their dream showcase doesn’t deliver for them. The showcase wasn’t bad. Most people just set unrealistic expectations on Sony when it was never stated they’d be blowing minds. We need to temper our expectations and be happy

Mr Hyde

So I didn't get a chance to watch it live, as the wife and I went to our community pool, which opened this week. So I just finished it and took some notes along the way.

• Fairgame$: You open your show with “Trend Chasing, The Video Game”? Squad-based GAAS. Gen-Z/Fortnite-esque artstyle with neon pink, purple, and blue everywhere. Anti-capitalism message in a game that will no doubt be stuffed to the brim with battle passes, microtransactions, and currency. Fuck this. Whoever Haven studios is, I hope this game bombs and bankrupts them.
  • Helldivers 2: I don’t know what Helldivers 1 is, but I’ve heard many people praise it. After seeing this trailer, I don’t really understand why. Looks like another squad-based GAAS. Maybe I’m wrong.
  • Immortals of Aveum: So a fantasy themed FPS. I’m not going to play it, but It doesn’t immediately offend me. It looks fine, like a solid B. I just hate this trend of games set in other worlds or time periods, but everyone talks like they’re from the modern day. Also, again with the neon pink, purple, and blue everywhere. Why? Are there no other colors in the world?
  • Ghostrunner 2: Looks like more Ghostrunner. I can’t be mad at that. Makes me want to give Ghostrunner 1 a try again.
  • Phantom Blade 0: Looks like a good concept, but given that this is a no name Chinese developer, I have strong doubts that the gameplay will look like what we see here. I’ll keep my eye on this though.
  • Sword of the Sea: From the creators of Abzu and Journey. I’ll play it once when it’s free on PS+ just to enjoy the artstyle and then never think about it again.
  • The Talos Principle 2: A CG trailer for Talos Principle? You couldn’t show gameplay? Wow.
  • Neva: Another CG trailer? What is this about? What’s the genre? What do you do in the game?
  • Cat Quest: Looks super cute. I’ll probably play it when it comes to PS+, but it this really worthy of being on a PS Showcase?
  • Foamstars: Another squad-based GAAS with neon everywhere? Jesus Christ. So anyway, it’s Sony’s take on Splatoon.
  • The Plucky Squire: Oh, god. It’s this art style. What is this called? Because I hate it. Anyway, the 3D stuff was surprising and looked good. I just don’t think I can play the 2D sections, looking the way it does.
  • Teardown: I don’t understand what this is. You break in and steal things, then escape, right? But the twist is the whole world looks like Minecraft or Legos.
  • MGS3 Remake: I don’t like Hideo Kojima or MGS, but I’m happy for people that do. Enjoy. However, fuck you to CG trailers.
  • Towers of Aghasba: So BoTW, with base building. Not for me, but this has its audience, I’m sure.
  • Final Fantasy 16: I’ve never been a Final Fantasy fan, but I guess it looks good for fans of the series.
  • Alan Wake 2: Cautiously optimistic. I’m a mild fan of Remedy and thought the Alan Wake franchise had untapped potential. That being said, a great big fuck you to Remedy for making this digital only. “Pre-order now.” Why? It’s not like you’re going to run out of digital copies.
  • Assassin’s Creed Whatever-the-Fuck: It just astounds me people still buy these games. They just seem so fucking shallow to me. This is the first trailer I just straight up skipped.
  • Revenant Hill: “We has art!” Okay, but do you has gameplay? Seriously, what the fuck is this?
  • Granblue Fantasy Relink: Looks okay. I usually play one JRPG each year (that’s all I can manage, without burning myself out on all the JRPG tropes). I’ll keep an eye on this.
  • Street Fighter 6: I’m not feeling this artstyle. I didn’t care for the look of SF5 and this looks about the same. I’m more of a King of Fighters or Guilty Gear guy. Also, all the new characters look like shit. Luke and everyone that has come after him can get flushed straight down the memory hole. In addition, if the create a fighter options look as boring as they’re displayed here, why even bother?
  • Ultros: I guess if Team Cherry isn’t going to release Hollow Knight Silksong anytime soon, someone else was bound to try and take a crack at it. I’m going to watch for this game.
  • Tower of Fantasy: I’m confused. Is this a single player RPG? Is it another squad based GAAS? What is going on?
  • Dragon’s Dogma 2: I’m happy for fans of the original, but everything I ever saw of DD1 told me it was not for me and this hasn’t changed my mind.
  • RE4 Remake VR: Okay, now I might actually have a reason to buy PSVR2 and this game.
  • Arizona Sunshine 2: I’m over zombie games personally, but good for fans of the genre.
  • Marathon: “Not Actual Gameplay”. Really? No kidding. I’m sorry, but I can’t get excited for CG trailers.
  • Destiny 2: Live service, GAAS. I don’t give a fuck. Third trailer I skipped completely.
  • Project Q and Earbuds: What does Q do that I couldn’t just as easily do with my smart phone and a controller attachment? What do the earbuds do that many other earbuds or headsets don’t already do?
  • Spider-Man 2: Pete and Miles working together. Pete’s in the symbiote suit. Miles uses Ganke’s drone. Looks like a sequel to Spider-Man. I’m in.

Overall Thoughts: I’m not going to say this was bad, but it was not what I was expecting. They showed off a lot of games, but (a) too much GAAS, (b) too many CG trailers, and (c) where were Sony’s first party developers? It seems clear to me that this was intended to focus mostly on games releasing in the next year, which is fine. There’s nothing wrong with hyping games that are ready to roll, rather than spending an hour on games that won’t come out for two to four years, but, man, a couple of teasers from Sony first parties would have been appreciated to at least let us know what they’ve been working on.

Nice write up. Mirrors much of what I felt about the showcase (except I'm a fan of FF and Dragon's Dogma 😉)

Everyone spends so much time hyping themselves up and then will immediately complain afterward when their dream showcase doesn’t deliver for them
I can tell you with 100% confidence i had zero hype in me (just to the point that I only remembered about this conference by a YouTube notification) but still was left disappointed. I had watched religiously all Sonys past E3 conference, there was always this sense of surprise and discover of new things to look forward to. This was just a collection of trailers with no delivery whatsoever, even the MGS trailer felt like... Flat? Solid Snake ? Like one of the most legendary characters in history of gaming and my reaction was "mmm okay?". CGI galore that we used to see only on Microsoft conferences.

saintjules

If it really is this year then we should see it soon. Maybe Sony will just shadow drop it but I have my doubts. I can definitely see a beta getting released during SGF.

Anything can happen at this point.

I am believing more and more that the latter of this comment is happening.

I mean sure, the show was subpar imo and should have just been another State of Play, but perhaps they are staggering their announcements and planting seeds across multiple events so that they continue having their presence felt. Like no one would give two shits about those Indie looking games if they appeared at SGF. But instead Sony showcased a majority of them here because more eyes would be on it versus SGF.

It's a thought, but I believe there's a method to their madness here.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
The brilliantism of doing a showcase full of gaas games that appeal to the gen z mainstream audience when they couldn't care less or even know that said showcase is happening.

Pack together online all hardcore gamers fans and haters to make a conference appealing to the ones that are on their couch playing mobile fortnight and couldn't give two shits for your show!

Nice.. 👌🏻

Draugoth

Gold Member
:pie_thinking::pie_thinking::pie_thinking:
kxgvJxX.jpg

I am believing more and more that the latter of this comment is happening.

I mean sure, the show was subpar imo and should have just been another State of Play, but perhaps they are staggering their announcements and planting seeds across multiple events so that they continue having their presence felt. Like no one would give two shits about those Indie looking games if they appeared at SGF. But instead Sony showcased a majority of them here because more eyes would be on it versus SGF.

It's a thought, but I believe there's a method to their madness here.

Or it's more likely they dont want to announce their big games so Xbox uses them as levarage in their ABK case

Last edited:

Gobjuduck

Banned
A lot of usual suspects sounding like Xbox fans after a bad Xbox showcase. Next year guys… Jim is reserving all the big games. Next year will be the big show! Believe it!

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

After some reflection, I feel that Sony's indie/AA titles are much more interesting than their AAA counterparts. I loved PlayStation for how much they pushed AAA gaming, but most of most intriguing games this gen has been AA/Indies from Sony like Sifu and Stray. Xbox also had Hi-Fi Rush which I loved.

I am loved seeing A Plucky Squire again (It seems like people missed the first showing in the Devolver Digital Show). Sword of the Sea looks like another fabulous Journey/Abzu like adventure, and I appreciate seeing games like Teardown here that utilize the CPU. I'm also very excited for Dragon's Dogma 2.

I didn't think Spider-Man looked horrible by any means, but it didn't blow me away either. That is mostly due to my expectations I grew for Insomniac. I think they should have shown actual gameplay footage to at least grow interest to those who don't particularly like GaaS games. They were mostly CG and that just felt like a waste to us that aren't really into those games in the first place.

Project Q is still the dumbest project I have seen from Sony. Even the Wonderbook was much more interesting.

Ar¢tos

The earbuds have some new tech for low latency lossless audio, I guess it's the only distinctive thing.

I was hyped enough before this that I was thinking of getting a PS5. After my hype balloon deflated, I ended up getting a PS4 and a few games off marketplace for like 130 dollars. Now I can play Bloodborne finally lol

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Hopefully Keighleys summer shows us what's coming in 2024....right, guys?

What a fuxk up..

The messaging around a playstation showcase is forever tarnished.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
:pie_thinking::pie_thinking::pie_thinking:
kxgvJxX.jpg

Or it's more likely they dont want to announce their big games so Xbox uses them as levarage in their ABK case

I think every single governing body including the CMA have said that Sony and console business has nothing to do with any of this stuff. They've passed the purchase on that...the only thing that blocked it in the UK was cloud and nothing to do with Sony....so this excuse is completely invalid.

Last edited:
The studio was working on a game as support.

Now the guy that got laid off said they were working on MP game, so it kinda weird for them to lose that game too.

Maybe this was last of us faction MP project.

People are going to be laid off, and some people are going to leave. it happens and it will continue to happen.

feynoob

Banned
I just can't believe Project E is gonna be a real thing...
Jesus, they made a realistic cloth simulation, that none of the triple A studios promised yet!!!
Asia is efficient in technology and coding. If the market was high as the west, or they would have produced some of the best looking games.
It explains why japan studios can acheive the impossible, unlike some of the big west studios.

China and South korea studios will put out epic games in the future.

XesqueVara

Asia is efficient in technology and coding. If the market was high as the west, or they would have produced some of the best looking games.
It explains why japan studios can acheive the impossible, unlike some of the big west studios.

Reality: Most of these games showed are just fucking vaporwave... It´s reminding me That Wukong Game that showed and since then disappeared, hard to trust AAA games made in Asia outside of Japan.

HighPoly

Banned

Well, this is a PS3 CGi level graphics, I really wanna play something near to that, but I'll only believe when that thing became a real gameplay game!

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Well, this is a PS3 CGi level graphics, I really wanna play something near to that, but I'll only believe when that thing became a real gameplay game!
Something I hate about these guys is the auto play mode. I hope that game doesnt have it.
Their new IP is a mess and has an auto play function.

Top Bottom