• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Showcase Officially Announced for Next Wednesday, May 24 at 1pm Pacific Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintjules

Pre-writes ? as in announcement news articles? does that mean he (and assuming other gaming websites) already know which games will be there ?

I think it's just an excuse to write a tweet. But I think it's just drafts for articles he will write for Insider Gaming.

ABnormal

But it's that the point of having these super fast SSDs? Being that you don't need to have that much data on drive. I know Epic was talking about this with Unreal 5 with Nanite.
That's another story. Fast SSDs allow to "unlimited" assets streaming at a time, allowing to rapidly change environments assets or to have the max possible assets quality each door you open. That allows developers to create any imaginable set piece or environment transformation/swapping. But heavy assets are heavy, so one thing is having some small demo at incredible level of detail (especially things like textures), another thing is having a whole game with assets of that magnitude (and weight). It would weight hundreds of Gigs. It's considered not acceptable for certain practical aspects.
They could choose to have areas of the game extremely detailed, while other areas at an average level of detail. In part they do it, but those differencies cannot be too severe, otherwise it creates a bad impression. The level of quality has to have omogeinity.
The poin is that, while every aspect of console tech has grown multiplied, while memory related things have not due to high costs (RAM and mass storage are still like a gen ago, while they usually were multiplied by 16 times each generation. But while RAM is not a problem due to the help of fast SSDs, which allow fast loading/flush of ram, mass storage is still the same. Compression and decompression tech for data is improved, but the difference is non so significant).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Deep down, he wants PlayStation to fail
Deep down he's a,
Loser GIF by Playboy Fragrances

DosGamer

love games, but when it comes to Final Fantasy ... I am so out of touch. I'm sure its just me, but I swear it feels as if there is a new FF trailer every game reveal show. Im not even sure how many FF games there are now.

Fredrik

I openly admit my first love is PC/Xbox and use my PS5 just for their exclusives but man I can't wait for this show now even more
My ”main” is where my current favorite game is. Right now: Switch! because of Zelda TOTK 🔥

And I’m excited for all these events. It’s the E3 we never get these days.

I’ll get the kids ready for bed, then I’ll play Zelda for about an hour. After that it’s popcorn and Playstation Showcase time! 👍

Little Mac

Gold Member
Excited for the showcase. What are the odds of Sony announcing that rumored slimmer PS5 model with the detachable hard drive option? I want to buy a ps5 but I already own a surfboard.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Even when he's not being stupid he sounds so cringe.

This.so.much

"I'm excited for the PlayStation Showcase! I've got a PS5 and I won't miss a thing. As an Xbox main, I'm going to feel the sting until Xbox Showcase!!! After that... it's ON!!!"

It translates into : "I'vE AlSo GoT a PSquintuple Im NOt a FaNboy No maTter wehAt you Heard" with the "ITS'ON" shite being cringy by itself as in, "GAMERZZZ HERP DERP, YAhhh LESSSS GOOOo" pseudo-entusiasm.

I'm getting way too old for this juvenile shit, shills, "infuencers", Youtube and Twatter "celebrities" with all the drama a sweaty, cheetos-fingered 13 old boy would cherish all rolled into 1.
Shit's just insufferable

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Alright. Final predictions. I am not expecting anything to look as good as the matrix demo, and a lot of 60 fps targets like Demon souls, but in terms of games, this will be a banger of a show. I just dont know if 1 hour is enough time to do those 5-10 minute demos that were so mind blowing back in 2015 and 2016. Im expecting a lot of 2 minute trailers like we got in 2020.

- Spiderman 2- this will be the only gameplay demo like Ratchet in 2020.
- MGS3
- Silent Hill 2
- Factions - Gameplay trailer like Returnals.
- No Death Stranding - Kojima has been very quiet. Might be at the summer game fest instead with a long 10 minute trailer Sony likely refused to put in their 1 hour conference.
- PC announcements for Horizon FW, GOW, GT7 and Factions. Jimbo said $450 million (up from $250 million last year) PC revenue this year so I expect a lot of these games to start showing up.
- Astrobot VR
- RE4 VR
- Half Life VR
- Ueda's next masterpiece - will look like a PS4 game, be my game of the show and expose me for the cross gen hypocrite I am.
- Wolverine teaser
- SSM new IP teaser
- TLOU3 teaser
- Bend, Bluepoint, Sucker Punch and GG will be no-shows.

Show will be packed with quality games but I suspect I will be disappointed due to lack of gameplay demos and next gen-ness. Just like the 2020 show which looking back is probably the 3rd best show of the decade in terms of number of games, but disappointed me at the time.

What I want to see, but dont expect to see:
- TLOU3 mind blowing cinematic gameplay
- Factions mind blowing gameplay featuring hundreds of zombies
- Ghost of Tsushima 2 gameplay footage
- Wolverine looking CG as fuck
- Cory's new IP pushing setpieces, physics and destruction
- Spiderman 2 looking like the Matrix demo with full scale physics and destruction
- Bluepoint making Demon Souls 2
- Hoirzon MP - Next gen visuals, 5 player coop taking down tallnecks with fast next gen flying and horseback. No fortnite crap.
- Insomniac MP Game - Suicide Squad/Avengers esque super hero coop game but obviously better. The reception to SS might have axed this game though.

icerock

MS most definitely cut back on some of their marketing budget.
guy-trying-not-to-laugh-0resyr1t87hay74k.gif

They are spending it on lobbyists like Florian these days.

Alright. Final predictions. I am not expecting anything to look as good as the matrix demo, and a lot of 60 fps targets like Demon souls, but in terms of games, this will be a banger of a show. I just dont know if 1 hour is enough time to do those 5-10 minute demos that were so mind blowing back in 2015 and 2016. Im expecting a lot of 2 minute trailers like we got in 2020.

- Spiderman 2- this will be the only gameplay demo like Ratchet in 2020.
- MGS3
- Silent Hill 2
- Factions - Gameplay trailer like Returnals.
- No Death Stranding - Kojima has been very quiet. Might be at the summer game fest instead with a long 10 minute trailer Sony likely refused to put in their 1 hour conference.
- PC announcements for Horizon FW, GOW, GT7 and Factions. Jimbo said $450 million (up from $250 million last year) PC revenue this year so I expect a lot of these games to start showing up.
- Astrobot VR
- RE4 VR
- Half Life VR
- Ueda's next masterpiece - will look like a PS4 game, be my game of the show and expose me for the cross gen hypocrite I am.
- Wolverine teaser
- SSM new IP teaser
- TLOU3 teaser
- Bend, Bluepoint, Sucker Punch and GG will be no-shows.

Show will be packed with quality games but I suspect I will be disappointed due to lack of gameplay demos and next gen-ness. Just like the 2020 show which looking back is probably the 3rd best show of the decade in terms of number of games, but disappointed me at the time.

What I want to see, but dont expect to see:
- TLOU3 mind blowing cinematic gameplay
- Factions mind blowing gameplay featuring hundreds of zombies
- Ghost of Tsushima 2 gameplay footage
- Wolverine looking CG as fuck
- Cory's new IP pushing setpieces, physics and destruction
- Spiderman 2 looking like the Matrix demo with full scale physics and destruction
- Bluepoint making Demon Souls 2
- Hoirzon MP - Next gen visuals, 5 player coop taking down tallnecks with fast next gen flying and horseback. No fortnite crap.
- Insomniac MP Game - Suicide Squad/Avengers esque super hero coop game but obviously better. The reception to SS might have axed this game though.

Except for TLOU Part III teaser, this is quite reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom