• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation State of Play | August 6th 2020 | NO MAJOR PS5 ANNOUNCEMENTS

Bryank75

Banned
Nah I wasn't complaining about this sony direct, just asking if we know of any titles launching this holiday.
Sure, I believe Hitman, Spider-man MM, Kena, Death Loop, Cyberpunk 2077, Astros Playroom (free), COD, all the ubisoft and annual sports games are launch window..... others are waiting on release dates or windows, probably due to covid.

Xplainin

Banned
They said beforehand that this was mostly about upcoming PS4 titles with no major PS5 announcements. Why would you expect price or pre-order info?

That was a total filler show.
There was no real reason to even have it.
"Oh Sony said it was going to be underwhelming so why you say it was underwhelming". SMHF.
It did show PS5 games, and they were rubbish. In fact a number of them.
And why would I expect pre orders or price?
Because its fucking August. The PS4 had it's price announced in June, and preorders went up in June as well.
At this point we wont be getting that info until a month or two before the console launches.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Another thing is.. Gamescom is right around the corner. I'm sure several 3rd party companies want to save the big guns for that. If Sony has anything First Party left to show, I'm going to guess they are saving it for some event they announce the price/pre order/release date of PS5 with. Just a guess.

sainraja

"Oh Sony said it was going to be underwhelming so why you say it was underwhelming". SMHF.
Because its fucking August. The PS4 had it's price announced in June, and preorders went up in June as well.
At this point we wont be getting that info until a month or two before the console launches.

No big PS5 announcements does not mean they won't talk about PS5 games. LOL

Bryank75

Banned

z9y4aES.gif

Bryank75

Banned
Another thing is.. Gamescom is right around the corner. I'm sure several 3rd party companies want to save the big guns for that. If Sony has anything First Party left to show, I'm going to guess they are saving it for some event they announce the price/pre order/release date of PS5 with. Just a guess.
Ha, they have a (and I quote) 'Marathon of 3rd party exclusives' still to reveal....

Bryank75

Banned
They literally said there would be nothing of interest at their show?
Pretty much... they made a blog post with a long list of what to NOT expect.... it was quite extensive, in that it outlined almost anything that would hype people. So, most people who had read that didn't have big expectations.... it basically said PS4 and VR show with a tiny bit of PS5 gameplay but no new announcements.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Godfall's problem is that it Nioh/2 exists already. It being precisely a looter/slasher and one backed by truly top-tier Japanese stylish combat designers; and that is frankly a really hard act to follow.

Portugeezer

Godfall looking a bit better, but I'm still not convinced.

As far as expecting a PS5 price and date, you shouldn't have... and wasn't Switch announced a January to release in March? Seems to be doing well.

Turns out announcing these things so early these days doesn't fucking matter.

Bryank75

Banned
Godfall's problem is that it Nioh/2 exists already. It being precisely a looter/slasher and one backed by truly top-tier Japanese stylish combat designers; and that is frankly a really hard act to follow.
PS5 patches would be great for both games.

mortal

Gold Member
I was pleasantly surprised by of the games shown.

Crash 4 looks really fun to play.
Hitman VR mode looks sick.
The Pathless looks like nice relaxing game. Journey X BOTW vibes.
AEON & Anno Mutationem both look very stylish. The latter reminds me of obscure Japanese PS2 games.
Bugsnax is uhhhh.....interetsing.
Godfall looks inserting enough, although I could've sworn the visuals looked better before.

Last edited:

Mmnow

Crash is the most exciting show of the night, although I'm having nightmares about getting the plat. The other 3 were hard enough, but this one is going to have difficulty and length.

Other than that, nothing for me right away. Anime stuff is an instant interest killer, VR just isn't at the point where I'm bothered and I'm holding off on Control to play on something next-gen.

Godfall looked dull, but then I was never bothered. Glad others have had their confidence restored in it.

Would you prefer if they included what was shown in PS5 events?

Bryank75

Banned
Who said that?

😲

He is former Game Informer and has loads of inside info.

The article kinda twists what he said to make it about 'content'....he meant full and timed exclusive games....

Last edited:

SuperGooey

That wasn't a PS5 showcase, it was just a State of Play.... they are always like that. They already said not to be hyped.
"Sony said it was going to suck, so you can't criticize it."

This State of Play was pointless. Even within the perimeters they set up in their announcement, this whole event felt tone deaf and still under-delivered. Not even Resident Evil 8 was there, which was the best place to reveal its VR. This State of Play, regardless of being "warned" beforehand didn't do Sony any favors.

Xplainin

Banned
Pretty much... they made a blog post with a long list of what to NOT expect.... it was quite extensive, in that it outlined almost anything that would hype people. So, most people who had read that didn't have big expectations.... it basically said PS4 and VR show with a tiny bit of PS5 gameplay but no new announcements.
So not really worth the effort then?
Thats my point.

Bryank75

Banned
So not really worth the effort then?
Thats my point.
If you're stuck on PS4, it had a few things to make you look forward to the rest of the year.... Crash, Hitman, Vader, TemTem and Genshin Impact etc....

But most people here are looking to PS5 or next gen / PC.... so it's not what we are looking for.

Xplainin

Banned
It was focused on PS4 and VR

What were you expecting?
They showed a number of PS5 games did they not?
They had a fairly long showcase of Godfall did they not?
While Godfall is a pretty meh game, at least they delved into it and showed off more of what to expect.
They could have done the same thing with other PS5 games.

They showed a number of PS5 games did they not?
They had a fairly long showcase of Godfall did they not?
While Godfall is a pretty meh game, at least they delved into it and showed off more of what to expect.
They could have done the same thing with other PS5 games.

They'll have their next event this month that'll focus on PS5

CitizenX

Banned
Pointless and terrible.

How are Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony all shitting the bed this bad?

Because the upgrade is soooo minimal. They absolutely botched excitement with their Pro and X series since they are basically more than capable of handling games adequate for a few more years. Older gens the systems were extremely lacking and long overdue for upgrades.

Jtibh

Banned
I rather be told a show will be underwhelming and not be disapointed than being told it will be the best fucking show in human history and end up with a disaster that was the microsoft show with a halo game thats from 2010.
The rest yeah ( these are ps5 titles like really?)i get but we also know sony will have another major show in august.

And lets be frank microsoft holding back as much as sony.

Both are pussies.

Neither are above the other.

They both suck ass.

And blame it on covid .

What a bunch of hot garbage. Hood & and the little flash of something for Control look like they could be interesting, Hitman looks OK but we already saw it in either one of the Xbox or PS5 shows. The rest look like really low-end kiddie/cartoony shovelware indies.

mildly disappointed that a cat lady doesn't dig cartoon indies

freefornow

Gold Member
The thing that stood out for me is how Sony has games that cover, and target, all demographics. This is why Sony games, and SIE, garner such a broad base of consumers/gamers.

ultrazilla

The PS5 games they did show IMO looked like they could be PS4(Pro) ports. IDK, nothing really screamed "Next Generation" here.
No "Wow that looks incredible" showings.

Can we just get the damn pre-orders started along with pricing?

CamHostage

Hood looked fun, 4 player coop PVP hitman in medieval setting. Graphics wise nothing stood out as next gen but if it's 4k 60 I'm up for it.

Sumo have made some pretty underrated games so suspect it could be better than expected.

It's a multiplatform game, BTW. Sony did most of the games the right way by saying it was "running on a PS5" but then including the other console plans in the breakdown (well, their console plans at least,) but Hood, Temtem, and I think Braid are cross-gen games. (Godfall was the only PS5-exclusive in the bunch, which makes sense because it wasn't a PS5-focused show.)

So graphics-wise, not standing out as next-gen might make a bit more sense now.

FranXico

It was ok for a PS4 show. Thank goodness Spelunky 2 is almost here. Looking forward to Braid with 4k artwork.
Plenty of ok games, to be fair.
Godfall is not compelling to me at all.

FranXico

It's a multiplatform game, BTW. Sony did most of the games the right way by saying it was "running on a PS5" but then including the other console plans in the breakdown (well, their console plans at least,) but Hood, Temtem, and I think Braid are cross-gen games. (Godfall was the only PS5-exclusive in the bunch, which makes sense because it wasn't a PS5-focused show.)

So graphics-wise, not standing out as next-gen might make a bit more sense now.
Even the PS4 games shown will be playable on PS5.

Top Bottom