• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Store: September 2022’s top downloads

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The official price for Last of Us Part II is still $39.99, but there are always discounts for $19.99. It was typical for Sony's first-party games last gen to be marked down to $19.99 after almost 2 years.

Makes me believe they want to keep the price at a certain range because they still have plans to release the director's cut. Wouldn't make sense to officially mark down the price to 19.99 and then release the director's cut for 39.99 with a $10 upgrade. So it seems like the director's cut is going to be a least $49.99.

The official price for Last of Us Part II is still $39.99, but there are always discounts for $19.99. It was typical for Sony's first-party games last gen to be marked down to $19.99 after almost 2 years.

Makes me believe they want to keep the price at a certain range because they still have plans to release the director's cut. Wouldn't make sense to officially mark down the price to 19.99 and then release the director's cut for 39.99 with a $10 upgrade. So it seems like the director's cut is going to be a least $49.99.

Theres multiple reasons for them to keep the price high. When they do eventual sales or price cuts they will be 50 dollars instead of 40 dollars, they also want to push people to subscribe to the service after a while. It’s better to pay the subscription fee to play ghost of tsushima, returnal, and spider-man rather than buy them for 50-60 dollars each.

I’m actually surprised that sony even marked its games down as fast as they did. It’s short term thinking, especially for a platform that prides itself of its “premium-ness”

What they were doing before was better for the consumer, but then they probably saw how people treat nintendo and its games and thought why aren’t they doing the same thing when their games cost a lot more to make. They were essentially throwing away money marking down a game like GoW as fast as they did to push more unit sales when they could have extended its legs at a higher price through other marketing.

Thats why they are doing the tv shows, pc ports, remasters…it works. People will see your games as more valuable if the platform holder treats them more valuably. Theres no reason why Arms, Links Awakening, Yoshi, etc. should sitll be 60 dollars but they are, and people deem them as being valuable and fans boys will pride themselves on the fact that the money they spent hasn’t been super devalued. When people talk about nintendo sales they say, “yeah, and they sold them all at full price” knowing Nintendo hacked consumer spending.

Thats why people stopped viewing Ubisoft games as big events because they get marked down super fast. You can wait a month and get their biggest games for half off, people that buy them at full price feel like suckers.

Its just all around bad marketing and bad business to have a game with the hype of god of war ragnarok end up being 30 dollars by early next year. Sony referencing Nike was the first hint that it was changing the way they were gonna sell and market their games

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
You know you're a true sigma if you've never downloaded a single game from that list in September.

Sexy Excuse Me GIF by Pit Viper

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
If I'm not mistaken, these are just number of downloads, so unless it's a new game, it doesn't really give us much indication of sales, it's more about what people are likely playing right now.

It makes sense to have TLoU2 in there, because people done with Part 1 might want to just straight to Part 2 for the comparaison and story progression.

Edit : with the Stars campaigns making you play select games, I expect those to get boosted numbers next month.
PSN top downloads is always sales. Not just downloads.

I don't see any downplaying, only facts. Saints Row came out in late August btw and was #1 and #2 (EU and US) on the PS5 charts despite only a handful of days of tracking.
Even though you and all those x trolls made zero argument in that thread, youre here still pretending you clowns didn't try to play down the game even against clear evidence. There really is no hope for you.

What's the crack with FIFA out selling (well downloading, same/same) Madden over the pond. Your you guys finally realizing that football actually played with feet is the better sport?

Or did it just release later?
Madden came out in August so this is the second month it was on sale. Not surprising that a new release like FIFA outsold it

If I'm not mistaken, these are just number of downloads, so unless it's a new game, it doesn't really give us much indication of sales, it's more about what people are likely playing right now.

It makes sense to have TLoU2 in there, because people done with Part 1 might want to just straight to Part 2 for the comparaison and story progression.

Edit : with the Stars campaigns making you play select games, I expect those to get boosted numbers next month.
When they say downloads they mean new purchases. This is how their charts have always worked. It isn't talking about people downloading games that are already in their library

But i thought TLOU2 had no legs? How is it here in both PS4 charts after over 2 years since its release?
Did Gaf lie to me once again?
TLOU2 has been in the top PSN sales charts more often than it hasn't ever since it launched. I always told people here that but the dumbass haters always like "yeah but where are the numbers!?" Too stupid to realize that being in the top 20 consistently means you are selling very well.

SLB1904

Banned
Read the damn threads

"Stray was the most downloaded PS4 and PS5 game on July’s US/Canada PlayStation Store charts. F1 22 raced to the top of the EU charts, while GTA V, Minecraft, and NBA 2K22 took various runner-up spots."

Three

Why are you comparing monthly data to weekly data? Compare month to month.
You waited to come out of a ban to post this? Both of them are weekly data when referring to the 4 days and 1 day sales.

The Last of us part 1 on PS5 alone was above Saint's row on all platforms for the month. You can drop the silly idea that TLOU part 1 sold worse than Saint's row on PS5 alone now:

You waited to come out of a ban to post this?
What does this have to do with the ban?
Both of them are weekly data when referring to the 4 days and 1 day sales.
No. Saints Row was monthly data. It just sold 4 days during that month, compared to TLOU1 having 4 weeks of sales.
The Last of us part 1 on PS5 alone was above Saint's row on all platforms for the month.
Yes, for Saints Row's second month. Comparing a games first month to another games second month is obviously disingenuous.
You can drop the silly idea that TLOU part 1 sold worse than Saint's row on PS5 alone now:
Not really, no.

Three

No. Saints Row was monthly data. It just sold 4 days during that month, compared to TLOU1 having 4 weeks of sales.

Genius, when somebody mentions TLOUpt1 sold half of Saint's rows previous week on TLOU launch week they are comparing 4 days of tracking on launch week for saints row vs 1 day of tracking on launch week for TLOUpt1. They are both for the week. Where did 4 weeks come from? You think Sept 4th when you were making those comments it was 4 weeks of tracking? Are you insane?

clarky

Gold Member
Read the damn threads

"Stray was the most downloaded PS4 and PS5 game on July’s US/Canada PlayStation Store charts. F1 22 raced to the top of the EU charts, while GTA V, Minecraft, and NBA 2K22 took various runner-up spots."
Seems like your the one who needs some reading and comprehension lessons. Can't see the word sales in there.

Last edited:
Genius, when somebody mentions TLOUpt1 sold half of Saint's rows previous week on TLOU launch week they are comparing 4 days of tracking on launch week for saints row vs 1 day of tracking on launch week for TLOUpt1. They are both for the week. Where did 4 weeks come from? You think Sept 4th when you were making those comments it was 4 weeks of tracking? Are you insane?
Read my post again. I'm talking about August vs September. Also what's with the butthurt tone?

Three

Read my post again. I'm talking about August vs September. Also what's with the butthurt tone?
And how could you be talking about August vs September on September 4th? The data you have for half the sales where you were making comments that TLOUpt1 PS5 likely sold less than Saint's Row PS5 because 54% was on Ps5 is launch week vs launch week. With 4 days of tracking vs 1 day. August vs September you have absolutely no data for in terms of absolute or even relative numbers. What you do have is that TLOUpt 1 on PS5 outsold Saint's Row 5 on all platforms in September. if you think that 4% on PS5 is somehow not accounted for then that's up to you, you can continue living the dream.

And how could you be talking about August vs September on September 4th? The data you have for half the sales where you were making comments that TLOUpt1 PS5 likely sold less than Saint's Row PS5 because 54% was on Ps5 is launch week vs launch week. With 4 days of tracking vs 1 day.
Yes, that's in the old thread. I don't see any downplaying there tbh.
August vs September you have absolutely no data for in terms of absolute or even relative numbers.
And you don't either. So not sure why you're making definitive statements like "You can drop the silly idea that TLOU part 1 sold worse than Saint's row on PS5 alone"
What you do have is that TLOUpt 1 on PS5 outsold Saint's Row 5 on all platforms in September.
Yes, which is Saint's Row second month, while the vast majority of its sales happened in August.

clarky

Gold Member
Because psn store charts is your library
Going round in circles here. Most downloaded does not = sales, otherwise they would say best selling games of the month. If you could provide a source that states downloaded =sales i'd like to see it. Because they are 2 different things

For example, Stray being most downloaded. Because it was "free" that month. I'd wager it sold next to fuck all.

SLB1904

Banned
Going round in circles here. Most downloaded does not = sales, otherwise they would say best selling games of the month. If you could provide a source that states downloaded =sales i'd like to see it. Because they are 2 different things

For example, Stray being most downloaded. Because it was "free" that month. I'd wager it sold next to fuck all.
You just talking out of your ass. Free games with plus don't show in these charts

Three

Yes, that's in the old thread. I don't see any downplaying there tbh.
I'm sure you dont.
And you don't either. So not sure why you're making definitive statements like "You can drop the silly idea that TLOU part 1 sold worse than Saint's row on PS5 alone"
Yes, which is Saint's Row second month, while the vast majority of its sales happened in August.
Only if you don't know how to solve inequality equations.

Top Bottom