• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Support is Shutting Down Its Twitter Account

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

It was announced early this afternoon that Sony would shut down its AskPlayStation Twitter accounts in a few weeks' time. The tweet states that 1-to-1 PlayStation support will no longer be available and encourages PlayStation users to use the Support tab on the PlayStation website for FAQs, support articles, and "self-help resources." Sony also linked its PlayStation Support YouTube channel for video explanations of PlayStation issues and how to resolve them.

The AskPlayStation Twitter account shutdown also extends to region-specific support accounts AskPS_U, PreguntaPlay, AskPS_ANZ (Australia and New Zealand), and potentially others that sent out the same tweet. This message was not sent out on the Japanese Ask PlayStation account. These Twitter pages will shut down on August 1, cutting off an estimated 2 million followers from direct support through Twitter. Sony has not given any further reason as to why these accounts are shutting down.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol it never worked. I remember when the pandemic hit, they shut down all chat and phone lines for months. Their twitter account was the only thing that was up and it never returned any DMs or tweets. Utterly useless.

ManaByte

On a serious note, who the fuck uses Twitter anyway for support? Oh yeh. Morons do.
Mel Brooks Morons GIF

Jimbo trying to save on his retirement savings.

On a serious note, who the fuck uses Twitter anyway for support? Oh yeh. Morons do.
Twitter is great for support because it puts companies on the spot. Jeff Gerstmann cofounder of Giant Bomb has gone on record stating the effectiveness of customer support via Twitter since it allows everyone else to join in and pressure the company into actually taking action.

Drew1440

Twitter is great for support because it puts companies on the spot. Jeff Gerstmann cofounder of Giant Bomb has gone on record stating the effectiveness of customer support via Twitter since it allows everyone else to join in and pressure the company into actually taking action.
Is this why we have cancel culture?

ksdixon

Jimbo trying to save on his retirement savings.

You'd be surprised how many businesses DO NOT want you to ring or email their ass. Always trying to offload you to website live chat or social media channels.

You'd be surprised how many businesses DO NOT want you to ring or email their ass. Always trying to offload you to website live chat or social media channels.
Oh I am not surprised at all, trust me, I know. Most businesses just want to be lazy and not hire people. So as you said offload you to other places because they are greedy and don't want to help customers.

Last edited:

Aranea

Sony has been doing this to save money. I remember when they shut down the official PlayStation forums a few years ago and told people to use website such as reddit to solve their problems (besides the official customer support of course).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Since when does anybody even go to Twitter for support? You have to call or email directly anywhere if you want some due diligence. Twitter is not the place.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
CIBC used to have an email function for contacting support. It used to be built into your messages inbox. For example, when I used to get mail from the previous homeowner, I'd email them and they would respond. They got rid of it. Now if you want support you either do that automated helpdesk thing and hope the answer is there or you got to call them on the phone.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i dont think there is alot of people using the twitter support account anyway

Does Sony have an online chat line?

I remember I had an Xbox issue and I just went on their site and did text chat with CSR.
There is (at least in Uk), but it's almost impossible to find. Going through options on the site it often asks you to just email, or call up. I pretended to have a completely different problem, something to do with my ps5 not working or turning on, brought up the option right away for online chat.

Imagine their surprise when I start going on about Shadow of War and SouthPark fractured butthole digital licences have stopped working.
Sorted it though 😅

fuck man, I think we need to get together and get the SCOTUS to shut these devils down... lol

IDK why anyone cares, they never were any help to anyone. I can't even imagine they had a staff trying.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Fucking Sony. I don't care for all the hate twitter gets here but it was a support channel for when people on the phone are not being helpful at all (you can see many examples online including a fellow Brazilian gaffer today).

Luckily I have never needed their support but that's easily the weakest part of their ecosystem.

I had to use it today. They only reply a random message like. Fo to our website and search for your problem. Nothing of value will be lost

Zatzuken

I’m not on twitter so this doesn’t hit me but I will say the PlayStation support pages are worse then useless and can easily lead you into looping around pages looking for an answer.

Remember the days of call centres, good times

Top Bottom