• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 launches February 22, 2023, with pre-orders starting November 15 - $549.99

FBeeEye

Banned
That isnt even the worst of it, in the unboxing he couldnt work out how to extend the strap, and then had it on way too high on his head (the strap at the back) and then ddnt realise you could move the front portion of the headset back and forth which is handy if you wear glasses. It didnt help that no-one in their studio tried to help him

This is the guy who immediately tosses the instruction booklets every time he buys something new.

Beechos

No shipping yet over here in nyc. Better be shipping locally tomm or i dont see how itll get here by tues.

Just chrcked my email and got a shipping confrim and tracking!

Last edited:

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
No shipping yet over here in nyc. Better be shipping locally tomm or i dont see how itll get here by tues.

Just chrcked my email and got a shipping confrim and tracking!
Did you check the tracking? I got excited by a sony "shipped" email, but when I went to UPS tracking, it wasn't actually shipped yet. Just at the label stage.

I'm trying to recall what the edge controller process was -- that arrived on time.

Last edited:
Gotta give props to Sony's marketing team for getting people excited about a launch catalog on next-gen PS5 VR hardware that's mostly PS2-grade mobile VR games. :messenger_neutral:
I'm hoping that none of the people waiting for their PSVR 2 to arrive are any of the people who complain about last-gen gimping modern PS5 releases, because this is much worse.

reinking

Gold Member
Gotta give props to Sony's marketing team for getting people excited about a launch catalog on next-gen PS5 VR hardware that's mostly PS2-grade mobile VR games. :messenger_neutral:
I'm hoping that none of the people waiting for their PSVR 2 to arrive are any of the people who complain about last-gen gimping modern PS5 releases, because this is much worse.
Meh Blah Blah Blah GIF by MOODMAN

Crayon

You can say it failed when it doesn't sell 50 million. Everything's going to be alright.

be299c1a6ccd6680e9f5efa5a4f28d13.gif

Evolved1

I’m interested in dissenting opinions, but why do they always have to be so fuckin dumb.

Dude this is a non sequitur.

You can say it failed when it doesn't sell 50 million. Everything's going to be alright.

be299c1a6ccd6680e9f5efa5a4f28d13.gif

I don't have any opinion in whether or not it will fail. Just the shitty launch catalog full of old Quest 2 ports.

I’m interested in dissenting opinions, but why do they always have to be so fuckin dumb.

Dude this is a non sequitur.

Huh? I'll try to ELY5:

Lots of people are getting super hyped about PSVR2 launch. Lots of people are saying how the launch catalog is super impressive. Lots of people (some of who like to complain about prior gens of pancake games holding back next-gen quality) aren't acknowledging that the majority of the PSVR2 is recycled, mobile-VR crap that released on Quest 2 1-2 years ago. Next gen hardware held back running a bunch of outdated crap, because....reasons?. This is kind of an objective fact, and not an opinion. Of course, if people are ok with a catalog of rehashed Quest games, then that's fine I guess.

Last edited:

Beechos

Did you check the tracking? I got excited by a sony "shipped" email, but when I went to UPS tracking, it wasn't actually shipped yet. Just at the label stage.

I'm trying to recall what the edge controller process was -- that arrived on time.
Yeah the label was printed and not picked up yet since its a holiday. i fully expect it to be picked up and in transit tomm and delivered in a day or 2.

Last edited:

Evolved1

I don't have any opinion in whether or not it will fail. Just the shitty launch catalog full of old Quest 2 ports.

Huh? I'll try to ELY5:

Lots of people are getting super hyped about PSVR2 launch. Lots of people are saying how the launch catalog is super impressive. Lots of people (some of who like to complain about prior gens of pancake games holding back next-gen quality) aren't acknowledging that the majority of the PSVR2 is recycled, mobile-VR crap that released on Quest 2 1-2 years ago. Next gen hardware held back running a bunch of outdated crap, because....reasons?. This is kind of an objective fact, and not an opinion. Of course, if people are ok with a catalog of rehashed Quest games, then that's fine I guess.
Hardware holds back software. That’s the usual argument. You’re backwards, asserting the reverse here, and that doesn’t make sense. Unless your argument is to blame the Quest for holding back software progress — which would be true. Thankfully PSVR2 is here to right that wrong.

. Unless your argument is to blame the Quest for holding back software progress — which would be true. Thankfully PSVR2 is here to right that wrong.

Yes, except if everyone buys the PSVR2 based on a catalog full of Quest 2 ports and acts like that's totally acceptable, then that just sends the message to Sony that they don't need to do anything except load up the PSVR2 library with shovelware mobile VR ports...

So nobody told you that most of those "Quest2 ports" are Remastered huh?

There's no amount of "remastering" that's going to somehow transform Quest ports into next-gen VR content. Most of those games were designed stylistically to work on mobile VR, which means that they are built around a low-poly, cartoony visual style. Running those in higher resolution with higher resolution textures isn't really doing anything substantial. It's not like the "remasters" you're used to in the pancake-game world.

Hawk269

I am wondering how well this is doing for Sony in the sales aspect. I am in the U.S. and Sony is is only selling it via Sony Direct. I signed up the day they announced Pre-orders but never pulled the trigger. Then shortly after they opened it up to everyone to pre-order, which I would assume is because pre-orders were not flying off the shelves. I kept holding out hoping that Best Buy would get them, but I resigned myself that it was not going to happen. So today at around 2pm Mountain Time I put my order in via Sony Direct. Within an hour I got an email with the tracking and estimated delivery (Wednesday). This would suggest that they are not selling like gangbusters. I been eagerly waiting for this and the reviews have been great. I hope it does sell well for the longevity of the device and software support...but seemed odd to be able to pre-order this late and still have it on launch day.

I am wondering how well this is doing for Sony in the sales aspect. I am in the U.S. and Sony is is only selling it via Sony Direct. I signed up the day they announced Pre-orders but never pulled the trigger. Then shortly after they opened it up to everyone to pre-order, which I would assume is because pre-orders were not flying off the shelves. I kept holding out hoping that Best Buy would get them, but I resigned myself that it was not going to happen. So today at around 2pm Mountain Time I put my order in via Sony Direct. Within an hour I got an email with the tracking and estimated delivery (Wednesday). This would suggest that they are not selling like gangbusters. I been eagerly waiting for this and the reviews have been great. I hope it does sell well for the longevity of the device and software support...but seemed odd to be able to pre-order this late and still have it on launch day.

Or they could just have a decent amount of supply. Obviously the economical constraints means there will naturally be less demand but no way of knowing it it's worse than expected.

By being Sony Direct only, it's already a "soft launch" of sorts, because Sony wants to earn as much as possible directly from the consumers. Later in the year I suspect it will roll out to retail, with proper kiosks and such, and the appeal will become more.

Mind you Sony has done literally ZERO marketing for it, so it's hard to sell when 1) there are no ads for it and 2) you can't find it in stores. But I think Sony wants it that way (for now)

Buggy Loop

Hardware holds back software. That’s the usual argument. You’re backwards, asserting the reverse here, and that doesn’t make sense. Unless your argument is to blame the Quest for holding back software progress — which would be true. Thankfully PSVR2 is here to right that wrong.

That's cute. Most VR devs went from PCVR, with no holding back hardware, to Quest 2, not the other way around.

Most of what you see at launch on PSVR 2 are Quest games with a layer of paint. Fundamentally, they have the same game mechanics.

This forum is so fucking polarized

PSVR 2:
oh-dear-gordon-ramsay.gif

Quest 2 :
gordan-ramsay-fucking.gif

Meanwhile the "journalists"
qlw5qypfudja1.png

Comparing standalone chip capability to one tethered to a console. I never understood it. It's an option? What's this cable? Wait what, i can plug on PC USB-C?

But.. "Need a $2k PC then for when its connected!" ? While Half Life Alyx runs on now low-range PCs, runs on a damn potato.

Gamerguy84

VR is great but not everyone knows that. Most haven't tried it yet and those that have tried have not had access to good VR.

VR2 is really good, we're reaching that point with it. Eye tracking w foveated rendering combined with 4K OLED with pretty strong, optimized for gaming, hardware pushing it will enable devs to do great things.

Its not exactly selling like a new console would, even though it just about is.

PSVR1 got old, meta quest 2 didn't bring any great experiences and hi end VR was only possible through top PCs.

Sony is bringing GT7, REV, Horizon, and some others in now, with many more hi end games in the pipeline.

Hopefully they can help VR grow overall.

Hawk269

Or they could just have a decent amount of supply. Obviously the economical constraints means there will naturally be less demand but no way of knowing it it's worse than expected.

By being Sony Direct only, it's already a "soft launch" of sorts, because Sony wants to earn as much as possible directly from the consumers. Later in the year I suspect it will roll out to retail, with proper kiosks and such, and the appeal will become more.

Mind you Sony has done literally ZERO marketing for it, so it's hard to sell when 1) there are no ads for it and 2) you can't find it in stores. But I think Sony wants it that way (for now)
I just think that Sony should of had this in the hands of retailers in the U.S. When I was picking up my new TV yesterday at Best Buy I asked the person about it and they said they have had many people ask about it, but according to what they were told, Sony is keeping it to themselves and they don't know when or if they will carry it. Cutting out retailers (being that I have been in retail myself for over 38 years) it is not a good sign of confidence for your product.

I just hope they sell enough so that developers want to invest in making games for it. Not seeing or hearing from Sony of any other 1st party big games is a bit concerning as well.

Anyways, I just got shipment notification of the Charging station as well and it looks like both the headset and charging station should be here on Wednesday. I am off after 4pm Wednesday and all day Thursday so will have plenty of time. Games I currently have:

GT7
Zenith
Kayak VR

Not sure what else to get at the moment. The Horizon game seems interesting but at $60 I will wait for a sale. I am thinking of that Cities might be interesting.

I just think that Sony should of had this in the hands of retailers in the U.S. When I was picking up my new TV yesterday at Best Buy I asked the person about it and they said they have had many people ask about it, but according to what they were told, Sony is keeping it to themselves and they don't know when or if they will carry it. Cutting out retailers (being that I have been in retail myself for over 38 years) it is not a good sign of confidence for your product.

I just hope they sell enough so that developers want to invest in making games for it. Not seeing or hearing from Sony of any other 1st party big games is a bit concerning as well.

Anyways, I just got shipment notification of the Charging station as well and it looks like both the headset and charging station should be here on Wednesday. I am off after 4pm Wednesday and all day Thursday so will have plenty of time. Games I currently have:

GT7
Zenith
Kayak VR

Not sure what else to get at the moment. The Horizon game seems interesting but at $60 I will wait for a sale. I am thinking of that Cities might be interesting.

Cutting out retailers is a short term thing, I suspect, because Sony doesn't want to market it heavily yet. And they want to capture higher margins on direct to consumer sales.

No doubt, if Sony ends up getting bigger titles later in the year like Astro or Half Life Alyx and roll it out with a dedicated marketing campaign it absolutely will get retail presence. Like I said, this feels very much like a "soft launch" to me.

The lack of information from Sony about their long-term plans is frustrating across the board (not just PSVR2), but I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Evolved1

That's cute. Most VR devs went from PCVR, with no holding back hardware, to Quest 2, not the other way around.

Most of what you see at launch on PSVR 2 are Quest games with a layer of paint. Fundamentally, they have the same game mechanics.

What the fuck are you even talking about? Complete gibberish.

Hawk269

Cutting out retailers is a short term thing, I suspect, because Sony doesn't want to market it heavily yet. And they want to capture higher margins on direct to consumer sales.

No doubt, if Sony ends up getting bigger titles later in the year like Astro or Half Life Alyx and roll it out with a dedicated marketing campaign it absolutely will get retail presence. Like I said, this feels very much like a "soft launch" to me.

The lack of information from Sony about their long-term plans is frustrating across the board (not just PSVR2), but I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now.
Agree. Just being in retail for as long as I have been and actually in the buying department for Toys "R" Us a long time ago, when a company does something like this it usually means that they are not 100% sure how things will go. Having inventory on Store shelves not selling is not a good thing and perhaps they are doing a soft launch per your comments. Just does not send a great message to developers that in the largest selling part of the world they don't have it available at retailers to get even more sales.

At the end of the day, I am looking forward to it big time. I have a Quest 2, had a Rift S and other VR headsets. Been a long time VR users and the biggest thing Sony did with the PSVR is the comfort of the headset itself and from the reviews this one is just as good in the comfort department. That is a big deal that I think many people don't give Sony enough credit for.

ZoukGalaxy

qlw5qypfudja1.png
Meanwhile the "forum pancake expert" comparing pancake pictures ignoring the fact that you need to wear the headset to see the "generation" gap.
Gordon Ramsay Facepalm GIF by Masterchef

Absolutely, 2D screenshots side by side from a VR rendering will totally show you the (r)evolution inside the headset. We'll been fooled people, the cake was a lie: the Quest 2 is so ahead of its time with a beautiful LCD screen with non existent black, cheap lenses, narrow FOV, short battery, low performance, horrible strap... well let's stop there, too much emotional specs to list.

Angry Gordon Ramsay GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Last edited:

nashman

Yes, except if everyone buys the PSVR2 based on a catalog full of Quest 2 ports and acts like that's totally acceptable, then that just sends the message to Sony that they don't need to do anything except load up the PSVR2 library with shovelware mobile VR ports...

There's no amount of "remastering" that's going to somehow transform Quest ports into next-gen VR content. Most of those games were designed stylistically to work on mobile VR, which means that they are built around a low-poly, cartoony visual style. Running those in higher resolution with higher resolution textures isn't really doing anything substantial. It's not like the "remasters" you're used to in the pancake-game world.

Combined Ill get 100s of hours out of GT7, NMS, Pavlov, Kayak and Light Bridgade. Witch one of those is "years old shovelware mobile VR" ?

Kupfer

Did you all get a shipping confirmation?
The last mail I got is from yesterday and says "PlayStation | Your pre-order of PlayStation VR2 will be on its way soon!", at which time my work colleague already had his shipping confirmation and tracking code.
I ordered in the first wave (still by invitation) and used PayPal for payment.

Status is still at
msppIOF.jpg

Edit:
Nevermind, got the mail 20 minutes ago

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

PSVR 2:
oh-dear-gordon-ramsay.gif

Quest 2 :
gordan-ramsay-fucking.gif

qlw5qypfudja1.png

Comparing standalone chip capability to one tethered to a console. I never understood it. It's an option? What's this cable? Wait what, i can plug on PC USB-C?

But.. "Need a $2k PC then for when its connected!" ? While Half Life Alyx runs on now low-range PCs, runs on a damn potato.
Well then tell people to stop comparing the price of PSVR2 to Meta Quest 2.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Well then tell people to stop comparing the price of PSVR2 to Meta Quest 2.
Also the cost of that potato PC is still not trivial and you start handwaving cutbacks here and there, etc… and we are talking about one game while there is a good chance that with fewer cutbacks and good foveated rendering use PSVR2 + digital PS5 will be able to play essentially any game that runs in PS5 in flat screen mode in VR almost as is (control changes aside) which was not the case when you connected PS4 to PSVR nor potato PC’s you bought for $399 in 2020 and connect to a Quest 2 today.

I am glad Switch got some decent hard ports, but I am not a huge fan of taking DOOM 2016 and cutting its resolution down and halving the framerate (and lowering other settings on top) when the game was based on frantic 60 FPS gameplay.

Last edited:

Freeman76

I'm waiting 6month to get psvr2. The majority of the games announced are just oculus quest or pcvr ports.

Definitely waiting to see how it all shapes up. I bought the first one on release and, while amazing to experience, just didnt have enough deep and full games for it. RE7 and Skyrim were brilliant and I just want to see how many full games like that get a release on VR2.

Gt7 and RE8 will be great, but I can wait. Im worried the unit wont sell enough at the price, and therefore big name devs wont bother making AAA experiences with a sub 1m userbase. Hope im wrong but time will tell and i can wait.

Frexerik88

Neo Member
I am curious to follow this launch and see how well it is supported moving forward.
It is honestly a compelling first step into VR gaming if you already have a ps5. I hope they continue supporting it and release a couple of "must-have" games on it.
It seems that outside of Half life, there are not many games that stand out as being "system sellers".

Banned
I haven't really seen anyone talk about the camera placement of the headset yet.

did someone test how well it handles movements that involve one of your hands going behind and/or above your head?

because if I look at the headset's cameras it seems to me like their placement is suboptimal to cover a wide motion range off to the side of the headset.

the top 2 cameras of the Quest 2 are almost on the side of the headset, and around them the plastic is lowered to give them a wide field of view

2999533_369d77b944c4.jpg

ScreenShot2020-10-19at10.37.07AM-6d56b483e10d4330b962e0227afac35c.png

on the PSVR2 the cameras do have a slight tilt to them but they still seem to primarily look forward.

PSVR2-thumbnail-01-en-22feb22

PSVR2-Box-Contents.jpeg

there's even an edge there that hard-blocks the view to the side and to a degree upwards as well.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Pointing out and discussing potential issues with the device is fine, being a bitch about it and trying to make people feel bad is not fine.

Erm, excuse me?

I havent been a 'bitch' about anything. It's an issue pointed out on several breakdowns, ACG and DF included, who are reputable sources, and is a potential dealbreaker for some people.

'Trying to make people feel bad', well if they are that delicate that they feel bad about my take on a potential issue with a device that I would personally find hard to overlook, they have bigger issues than hand movement on a VR.

This is a forum where we can share views. It shouldnt be viewed as bitching if I dont follow the consensus. I would suggest you put me on ignore tbh.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Congrats to all those getting the new tech this week.

Remember, take it out the box slow...smell that new tech smell.....feel all the goody, goody excitement tingles as you set it up.....

...play some damned games then get in here and give us your feedback...

Then please use all your will power to make some deal happen so your good pal denchdeckard can pick one up in a deal that suits him!

I love VR, and this headset looks amazing.

Looking forward to reading your comments on it!

Jealous mine hasnt changed yet but seems they are sending based on order date, I got my preparing status 5 hours after someone on here got it
I’m not sure. I’m in the same boat and I was thinking that maybe they are shipping them based on region in the UK. I’ve been preparing to ship for a while now and a guy at work who doesn’t live too far hasn’t had his shipping email either. I think they preordered the day it went up.

Top Bottom