• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 launches February 22, 2023, with pre-orders starting November 15 - $549.99

This + that I'm not bothering to get a 40-series GPU at the stupid UK prices means the price is easier to swallow. I will wait to see how the launch stuff reviews and make sure HL: Alyx & Rez Infinite (more the former than the latter, I just love Rez so much) are coming out for it before diving in.

Its higher than I was expecting but who knows, its a stupid priced time we live in. In the UK at least, people are trying to saving money due to energy prices but buying something you can do in the house that gives you hundreds of hours of entertainment for six (6) hundo is actually way cheaper than taking the family out/going out on the lash with friends four (4) times over a month.
Hahaha if I told my wife I’m buying the headset and that means I can’t take her and the kids out for a few months, I’d have bigger problems on my hands. Who actually does shit like that?

Kuranghi

Hahaha if I told my wife I’m buying the headset and that means I can’t take her and the kids out for a few months, I’d have bigger problems on my hands. Who actually does shit like that?

Well yeah, I mean when everyone agrees on it haha. Not just saying you've cancelled family trips to pay for it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

"Sit down and watch me do VR family!"

Can you tell I don't have a family? :messenger_tears_of_joy: Maybe my second example of a single person getting it over going out as much is more realistic.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I would say there's a greater than zero chance. Beat Saber is owned by Meta, who want you to buy a Quest, not PSVR.

Beat Saber is already on PSVR1 and they make bank on people buying the song packs. I can't imagine they're not going to do the minimal amount of work required to patch/upgrade it for PSVR2. Actively refusing to do that to force existing owners into buying a second VR headset would be bonkers, although, Zuck is clearly off the deep end with the metaverse shit, so who knows. Maybe they do tank their own product.

FunkMiller

£529?

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

Yeah, I think I'll just stick to PCVR for the time being. I've been playing Red Matter 2 at ultra high settings, and I doubt PSVR2 is going to better it - especially because it'll be wired.

reksveks

Maybe they do tank their own product.
yeah, the question is what is the product that they want to push (true for many companies). I think its a non-zero chance Meta doesn't update the PSVR game especially since they are giving Beat Saber away with the Quest 2 at the moment.

Tarnpanzer

Any ports of PSVR1-Games announced so far?

Still undecided, if I should wait for a port of RE7 for example, or play it now on my PSVR1.

XXL

Has Half Life ALyx been confirmed? Surely thats how you gain a huge amount of hype. It needs to launch with that at least.
No Half Life Alyx hasn't been confirmed.

It's launch line up is fantastic though. RE8VR looks amazing. RE4 shouldn't be too far behind either.

Last edited:

MikeM

I don’t mind premium pricing if I get a premium experience.

Can we have premium consoles too?

skit_data

The price is actually not that different from what I expected, but I had hoped some more games would’ve been announced. There is still some time but with this being a blog announcement the chances are slim we hear of any more big games.

TheMan

That is a lot. Considering that I fell off PSVR hard after 1 year and I only use my rift for racing or flying sims (while ignoring all of my bespoke VR games lol) i think I'll have to hold off on this one. If sony can show me a real killer app then I might change my mind.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
$550 AND a PS5 required?! The Meta Quest 2 is cheaper, and doesn't require other equipment. Holy shit this is such a bizarre and in my opinion dumb option. I mean, I'm all for consumer choice, and happy for folks who are excited for this -- but goddamn, I really don't see this thing being all that successful.

LordCBH

I want one. Really bad. But good fucking luck with that pricing, Sony. People are struggling to put food on the table and you want to release an accessory that’s more expensive than the console. Fucking. OOOF.

This thing will be DOA despite it likely being a fucking amazing product.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Oh dear... they missed the mark with that, more than the console it requires is a tough sell for any addon.

I'm not seeing any software here that will make people go out and get this,especially so if people's VR libraries will have to start again from scratch for the new device. Literally all that matters with VR is the software/games and all of this looks like shallow crap.

How do they not understand this?
GHG GHG I think they understand their playerbase just fine. Look at the answers in this thread and it will prove you wrong:
praise the lord happy dance GIF by Samm Henshaw

I'm buying the Horizon Bundle. Day 1.

I’m there, always there for VR.

Day fucking one. Not a bad price.

That price is ridiculous, Sony I have questions.
Season 4 Episode 13 GIF by The Office

Day one. Throw up the preorder link you cowards!

Yes, I shall have the horizon bundle.

DAY ONE baby!

(I assume they were trying to hit a $499 price point when developing and then the whole economy went down the crapper with sky-high inflation)

Ouch!
Still will be mine day one

I knew it would be around this price, I think its fine and day 1 for me.

Still a hefty amount to drop on VR.

I’d probably be day one but with bots who even knows if I’ll be able to preorder one.

Day one!, missed out on psvr1

Day one for sure! Will try to grab the Horizon bundle

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
650 euro is a huge gamble for VR headset.
Each one I've had, was a gamble with comfort and lenses.

I am shortsighted and some headsets focus on infinity = bad and some focus on 1 meter away = good for me.... I wonder how this one is.
I can't drop 650 euro and have it be not suited for my eyes

That’s asking a lot for VR. Especially when Quest is sitting over here at $400 and not needing an additional $500 console in order to work.

But more VR is only good for the platform so…

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
$550 AND a PS5 required?! The Meta Quest 2 is cheaper, and doesn't require other equipment. Holy shit this is such a bizarre and in my opinion dumb option. I mean, I'm all for consumer choice, and happy for folks who are excited for this -- but goddamn, I really don't see this thing being all that successful.
The Quest 2's specs and screens pale compared to this. They even increased their price by $100. Only thing going for it is wireless. Wait until you see the price of Quest 3 that will be more comparable screen/tech wise.
Sipping Mark Zuckerberg GIF

Am I seeing the spec correctly that this is better resolution than Valve Index?
Yes. And OLED/HDR and eye tracking foveated rendering.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I want it but not for $700 canadian. Maybe on a bonus redemption event at shoppers, or after a price drop......

Elios83

Price is in line with what's expected for the specs and given they're asking 200$ for the Dualsense Edge.
Ideally it should have 499$.
But the Meta Quest Pro is 1500$ :messenger_grinning_sweat:
And look at the prices of high end GPUs and smartphones, well over 1000$.
It seems the era of super cheap electronics is done for the time being.

For me it's more about the games than the price so if the experience is worth it I'm in.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Most look cartoony. The Switchback game looks like the same on-rails shooter they did on the original PSVR 'Rush of Blood"
The shooters look 'blah;

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm not seeing any software here that will make people go out and get this,especially so if people's VR libraries will have to start again from scratch for the new device. Literally all that matters with VR is the software/games and all of this looks like shallow crap.

How do they not understand this?

Not being backwards compatible with PSVR1 is the biggest negative. If it had a built in library, this price would be somewhat digestible (probably not but still..)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That launch lineup just shows that this is basically going to be another PS VR with a bunch of shovelware and a couple of sony AAA games thrown in between.

Even Horizon doesnt look as good as HFW and its a PS5 only game. Clearly rendering the game at 120 fps is holding back its visuals.

Wake me up when PS VR6 launches in 2050 with ready player one graphics. This tech is clearly not ready for primetime.

jaysius

Banned
People kept telling me I was wrong when I said PSVR 2 would cost around $1000+ all in(MACHINE + hardware) and kept telling me I was wrong.

This is too funny, costs more than the machine.

This is why it'll never be a mainstream thing, and still a weird project stepchild... again.

Mikey Jr.

This would he a much easier pill to swallow if it was BC.

Then I could justify the cost to myself. I have lots of psvr games redeemed on ps plus.

The same way I justified buying a PS5 because I could play ps4 games.

But yeah, not having bc is a huge deal.

skit_data

Still no announcement of GT7 being supported either, which would be a good reason to buy it.

Yeah, this could’ve been handled better by Sony.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
People kept telling me I was wrong when I said PSVR 2 would cost around $1000+ all in(MACHINE + hardware) and kept telling me I was wrong.

This is too funny, costs more than the machine.

This is why it'll never be a mainstream thing, and still a weird project stepchild... again.
Who told you that you were wrong?

The PS5 is $400-$500 and most were expecting this tech to be in the $500-$600 range.

Top Bottom