• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 launches February 22, 2023, with pre-orders starting November 15 - $549.99

TLZ

Banned
Oh wow when did this happen?? I was asleep!

Ouf that price.

denzel washington cringe GIF

That's going to be a$900-1000 dollar bucks.... :messenger_grimmacing_

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Dayaamm, was hoping for a £399 or at most £449 price tag with included Horizon game... And wtf at those game trailers, that's some mobile phone shite, I was gonna be day one for this but that price coupled with that catalogue of games is making me reconsider.. I wanted to see at least Resi Evil8 and a few other big hitters even an Alyx tease on launch day, having said that I think playing hello neighbour with the kids would be an absolute blast with the pass through... Fuck sakes Sony why'd you have to go make this hard

gothmog

Gold Member
I would buy this myself, but I’m going to wait at that price - not because I can’t afford it, but because I think it might be DOA… Or get a quick fire sale.

Sony have lost their minds on pricing in general.
Or they're just following the trend of >$1k cell phones, video cards, and other luxury devices. Hard to blame them given what other industries and brands have been able to mark up the past few years.

ZehDon

Or they're just following the trend of >$1k cell phones, video cards, and other luxury devices. Hard to blame them given what other industries and brands have been able to mark up the past few years.
No, it isn't. AUD$1000.00 for a PS5 peripheral - a console that, itself, was raised to AUD$850.00 after it launched? Sony has been raising prices across the board because they know their market leader position can survive it, and their current suite of executives want to get paid.

Baki

Indies carry VR. It’s been this way for quite some time now.

It sold more than most PCVR and yet they keep making new headsets there. It’s not a mainstream device, and you can’t compare it to a console itself.

They didn’t see it as a failure. Hell, most didn’t expect 5m.

Hell, it sold more than most games, even the GOAT Bloodborne.

PCVR is niche. Quest sold 15 million units in 18 months. It took 5 years to sell 5 million PSVR units. VR has the potential to be a solid platform with great revenues. Sony isn’t willing to make the investment to make that happen. As a user, that puts me off, because it means shit software support. A platform is only as good as the games and services on it.

gothmog

Gold Member
No, it isn't. AUD$1000.00 for a PS5 peripheral - a console that, itself, was raised to AUD$850.00 after it launched? Sony has been raising prices across the board because they know their market leader position can survive it, and their current suite of executives want to get paid.
Or shit is just more expensive?

Tygeezy

Yeah, the specs on this thing make it seem like it's going to be tough to sell for less than $500. Marketing it as also a tv you can use for standard flat PS games in a virtual big screen environment could help. Plug this into ps5 and no tv needed.
I knew I had posted somewhere that this was going to be expensive.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wow. Add in 13% tax too. Series X is $600 here. You can almost get Series X and 2 games for that price.

Prospective buyers in Canada will have to part with $749.99 CAD to purchase the cheapest PSVR 2 bundle. This rises to $819.99 CAD if players wish to add Horizon Call of the Mountain, while the charging station itself will cost $64.99 CAD.

G-Bus

Banned
Definitely a bit more expensive than I was expecting. Wonder if they're selling at a loss.

Outside of Horizon I don't think there's enough games here to make me want to jump in. Interested to see what else they have.

sendit

Definitely a bit more expensive than I was expecting. Wonder if they're selling at a loss.

Outside of Horizon I don't think there's enough games here to make me want to jump in. Interested to see what else they have.
They're either breaking even or selling for profit. This is an accessorie to the PS5.

Justin9mm

Well there goes my predictions, I thought here in Aus it would be about $599 AUD but considering its $550 USD, we are probaby looking at around $800 AUD here oof.. Same price as the PS5 console!

After seeing the price here for the Pro controller of $340, I did have my concerns that the PSVR2 might be unexpectedly high and here we are.

Last edited:
They're not "backwards compatible" as such but devs can/will release patches/updated versions of games you own.

Like, there's absolutely no chance Beat Saber isn't on PSVR2.
Hah, Facebook will easily not put beat saber on PS5 because they love exclusives, hence why they don't put their games on Steam nor PSVR(Beat Saber was on PSVR before Facebook aquired the company).

Bridges

Pfff more expensive than the actual console, that's gonna be a real tough sell.

The tech looks good, the games look good, but a $1,050 buy-in in this economy? Good luck with that.

That's exactly right - everyone raised their pri-- oh, wait, no, it was just Sony - the company whose VR headset is now more expensive than the console required to operate it.

Companies are posting record profits quarter, after quarter, after quarter, and they still got fools convinced they have to raise the prices.

thats why corporations raise prices! you just said it. they carry on making record profits even after doing so. i would be doing the exact same. so would you. they have the power because of a strong demand for their product.

Power Pro

No thank you at that price.

I've actually been a pretty big supporter of VR over the years. I only just recently sold my Oculus Quest 2, and PSVR because I just rarely wanted to play any of those games longer than a few minutes. Not that I think they're all bad experiences, but a lot of even the biggest VR games still come across as tech demos, and after years of giving devs time to grow and work with the platform's potential, very few games ever lived up to it I think. Very few games made me want to go through the trouble of playing them for too long. Half Life Alyx was the only exclusive VR game that made me want to play it for hours. Every thing else was playable outside of VR in some way. Borderlands 2 was decent on PSVR, but only because it had Aim support, the PC version had shit support, and didn't work properly with Quest 2. Gal Gun 2 was surprisingly fun with VR, but I had to buy virtual desktop to get it to work properly, but it was another one of the few I could really play for a long time because of how well it worked.

After a while though, I kept feeling the experience was not worth shutting myself out of the world. Not to mention my head just gets so uncomfortable in all the headsets I've used after about 20-30 minutes.

At almost $600 after tax though, no thank you. When I got my previous headsets, they had the benefit of at least being affordable, but this is bull shit pricing and will not grow the market.

Pallas

Was interested in it until I saw the price tag… might still dive in but holy fuck I still need a ps5. 😭 That’s gonna be over $1000.

GametimeUK

The headset seem pretty beastly judging by the specs. I think it's a good thing we are getting a high end device. From what I can see the headset is as reasonably priced as you'd expect for such a spec sheet.

A cheap VR headset is all fun and games like the PSVR1 when you're throwing around old PS3 controls and have to hook a camera up to the console and 5000 wires.

With VR2 you pretty much get what you pay for and it will be a far superior experience. VR1 was trash.

ZehDon

thats why corporations raise prices! you just said it. they carry on making record profits even after doing so. i would be doing the exact same. so would you. they have the power because of a strong demand for their product.
"Guys, price gouging is totally ok! It's just what you do! Just consume!"

Are people really this brainwashed?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I like the specs, particularly the display, but I don't know if I want a VR headset without built-in audio. The Quest 2 spoiled me in that respect (it has positional audio built-in that is really nice, immersive). I get that the 3D sound feature of the PS5 is supposed to workaround this, but ehhh.

Maybe after I buy my new entertainment center and have the space for this I'll consider it.

JLB

Banned
PSVR2 Is a fantastic product! To begin with, it shows a remarkable continuation of the pricing politics pushed by Sony this year.
And games! What a great, unbelievable high quality lineup. This is something else. Cant wait to play Sierra Squad.
This product is definitely a Quest killer.
Mr. Spencer should be extremely worried by this product. Its destined to be a massive, wii-like seller.
Not gonna say that Xbox is doomed, but probably!

Top Bottom