• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 launches February 22, 2023, with pre-orders starting November 15 - $549.99

Banned
That will never be sorted out. It's completely different hardware / tracking method.

the tracking method is almost certainly not the issue. you can use PSVR1 as a PC VR headset (you shouldn't cuz it's shit, but it works)
the real reason is Sony doesn't want "dirty" backwards compatibility for their shiny new device.

why "dirty", well because no matter how you do it it will be confusing for some customers (the casual filth, the bad potatoes so to say).

you could be of the opinion that they should support all PSVR1 games, which is Option #1, but here's the issue,
this is the controller used for PSVR1:
b003c59f-5957-4c73-b015-dc86ebf40c29_1.3d700d5b56884f0329d3d0a7702b15f3.jpeg

you have 5 digital face buttons on each side, you have a start and a select button on the side in each hand... and you have a singular trigger in each hand.

and now this is what the PSVR2 controllers look like:
PSVR2_PS5_Controller-beide-Controller-nebeneinander.jpg

on the left you have 2 face buttons and the left stick, on the right you have 2 face buttons and the right stick.
you have a grip button and a trigger.
the right controller has the Menu/Start button and the left one has the Share button.

imagine what a shitshow it would be to map all of the PSVR1 buttons onto these controllers. it would be a nightmare of overlays that are needed to configure the controls for each game and remind the player where each button is mapped to.
Left Stick Up = Right Hand Square... shit like that

and then there's option #2,
only make games compatible that work with the Dualshock 4,,, well... sure that would fix the button config mess for sure,
but now you have customers that need to understand which PSVR1 game is compatible and which isn't so that they don't accidentally buy the wrong game.
now tracking does become an issue as Dualshock 4's would need the PS4 camera to work with that setup and Dualsense controllers would need to be programmed to emulate the tracking through the inside out tracking, which might not be possible with Dualsense controller because that's not how the tracking cameras inside the PSVR2 are designed to work, they are designed to track small IR LED light dots, not big blue/red/green light bars around the touchpad.

add to that Sony's really bad/manual system to issue refunds (the singular reason why Cyberpunk 2077 was removed from the PS Store) and you got a customer service nightmare at hand.

so TLDR:
option #1 would be a convoluted mess of button rebinds and overlays to remind you of all your rebinds.
option #2 would be a convoluted mess of people wondering which games are compatible and which are not.

both of these would confuse the average casual filth user and would make the whole system look unpolished (or as I named it "dirty").
and such dirty features like this kind of back compat functionality is often avoided by electronics manufacturers that want their shiny new product to feel polished and well designed.

Last edited:
the tracking method is almost certainly not the issue. you can use PSVR1 as a PC VR headset (you shouldn't cuz it's shit, but it works)
the real reason is Sony doesn't want "dirty" backwards compatibility for their shiny new device.

why "dirty", well because no matter how you do it it will be confusing for some customers (the casual filth, the bad potatoes so to say).

you could be of the opinion that they should support all PSVR1 games, which is Option #1, but here's the issue,

you have 5 digital face buttons on each side, you have a start and a select button on the side in each hand... and you have a singular trigger in each hand.

on the left you have 2 face buttons and the left stick, on the right you have 2 face buttons and the right stick.
the right controller has the Menu/Start button and the left one has the Share button.

imagine what a shitshow it would be to map all of the PSVR1 buttons onto these controllers. it would be a nightmare of overlays that are needed to configure the controls for each game and remind the player where each button is mapped to.

only make games compatible that work with the Dualshock 4,,, well... sure that would fix the button config mess for sure,
but now you have customers that need to understand which PSVR1 game is compatible and which isn't so that they don't accidentally buy the wrong game.
add to that Sony's really bad/manual system to issue refunds (the singular reason why Cyberpunk 2077 was removed from the PS Store) and you got a customer service nightmare at hand.

so TLDR:
option #1 would be a convoluted mess of button rebinds and overlays to remind you of all your rebinds.
option #2 would be a convoluted mess of people wondering which games are compatible and which are not.

both of these would confuse the average casual filth user and would make the whole system look unpolished (or as I named it "dirty").
and such a dirty back compat functionality is often avoided by electronics manufacturers that want their shiny new product to feel polished and well designed.

It wouldn’t take too much effort to remaster it to psvr2 though

If Sony doesn’t remaster many of them it will be a damn shame

They have all these support studios making PC ports but can’t port the best VR games to their new platform?

Banned
It wouldn’t take too much effort to remaster it to psvr2 though

If Sony doesn’t remaster many of them it will be a damn shame

They have all these support studios making PC ports but can’t port the best VR games to their new platform?

making ports of the games will most likely be how many devs will try to get their games played again, as PSVR1 fizzled out really fast it seemed.
so I bet many games will get ported

Pallas

PSVR2 Is a fantastic product! To begin with, it shows a remarkable continuation of the pricing politics pushed by Sony this year.
And games! What a great, unbelievable high quality lineup. This is something else. Cant wait to play Sierra Squad.
This product is definitely a Quest killer.
Mr. Spencer should be extremely worried by this product. Its destined to be a massive, wii-like seller.
Not gonna say that Xbox is doomed, but probably!
Satire? I don’t think it’s going to kill or doom anything at that price point. I love the specs, and what it’s capable of but it’s gonna be a hard sell I think at that price. I’m not saying it won’t be successful but cmon man. Spencer ain’t gonna lose sleep over this product, and how well it does.

pasterpl

Reality is that if you are really into VR you go with high-end pc headset with all bells and whistles but it will cost you more than ps5 + psvr 2, but experience also will be different and the game library will be much bigger day 1 as well.

Certinty

If every first person game was going to have native support then for this price I would perhaps consider it. But in reality only very few will and most games will end up being VR only titles. Given that I don’t think there’s any way I can justify a price more than the console for this.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yeah not sure about this Jimbo, when your console si accessory to your headset, price wise, I would expect some hard hitting titles, not this...whatever this is.

Also stay the fuck away from moneyhatting for VR titles.

I don't really think Sony cares too much about having PSVR2 being extremely hot right out of the gate

Prices will come down...Software will slowly come around

I think the big thing this time around is that PSVR2 is now built well enough to stand on its own and note fizzle out. I think people that own PSVR2 will be more willing to support the platform long term. I stopped play PSVR1 because the cable nightmare mess and also because the controls sucked and the screen was blurry.

With all those issues resolved, I see no reason why I wouldn't want to come back to PSVR2 whenever a new banger drops. So I think Sony will be satisfied with a slow burn for PSVR2

Last edited:

John Wick

IMHO I think Sony are rushing PSVR2 out. They haven't even got PS5 production under control and yet want to release a $549 peripheral for it. We have no true next gen games yet. Why not wait till holiday 2023?
These 11 games are a waste. If this is the quality of title Sony expect to sell PSVR2 then it's DOA. They need proper AAA games for this to be a success. Otherwise they are dividing already limited resources.

RavageX

Im in, but show me:

GT fully in VR
Maybe even GTA5
Some other racing games, NFS style.
A few cardio/boxing games
A full blown RPG/adventure game 40hrs plus.
Less "experiences"
A few other needed things that havent come to mind

Once I see some of those, Im REALLY in.

Justin9mm

Left Stick Up = Right Hand Square... shit like that

now tracking does become an issue as Dualshock 4's would need the PS4 camera to work with that setup and Dualsense controllers would need to be programmed to emulate the tracking through the inside out tracking, which might not be possible with Dualsense controller because that's not how the tracking cameras inside the PSVR2 are designed to work, they are designed to track small IR LED light dots, not big blue/red/green light bars around the touchpad.

so TLDR:

and such a dirty back compat functionality is often avoided by electronics manufacturers that want their shiny new product to feel polished and well designed.
Why does your PSVR2 controller image show it in black, is this proof it will eventually come in black?

Justin9mm

$879.95 AUD...... and I'm out!
It sucks, because I really loved my PSVR version 1
I was waiting to see the AUD price, is this from a source or just the conversion of the USD price?

I thought it may sell out and we would have to deal with scalper prices again but at this price I don't think it will but then it depends on availability, if we get low stock in Australia, scalpers can still buy them all up and sell at ridiculous prices. I can afford to pre-order one, maybe I will do that and make up my mind if I still want it when the time comes just in case it does lol.

//DEVIL//

Ahahahaha at that price . And it’s still not backward compatible with psvr1 games right ?

Ahahahahahahahaha

What a scummy company

Edit : to clarify, this is not dissing the technology behind VR2 as it’s awesome. But the asking price + no backward compatibly and wired ? Yeah NO

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I don't really think Sony cares too much about having PSVR2 being extremely hot right out of the gate

Prices will come down...Software will slowly come around

I think the big thing this time around is that PSVR2 is now built well enough to stand on its own and note fizzle out. I think people that own PSVR2 will be more willing to support the platform long term. I stopped play PSVR1 because the cable nightmare mess and also because the controls sucked and the screen was blurry.

With all those issues resolved, I see no reason why I wouldn't want to come back to PSVR2 whenever a new banger drops. So I think Sony will be satisfied with a slow burn for PSVR2

I hope it does well and has legs too. In order to be a true success and move VR out of novelty status the platform needs engaging, big budget games. If 4 or 5 games were dropping a year that were built from the ground up for VR and matched or surpassed Half-Life: Alyx in terms of quality, you might go mainstream with it. Bit of a chicken and egg scenario with this pricing though, because devs won't want to put the effort in without a large install base, and $550 + $400 for a PS4 might be beyond the mainstream gamer. Sure 4090s sell for more, but that's a tiny spec in the ocean when it comes to gamers in general.

Then you could say, well the games will be smaller at first and then improve over time. But that hurts adoption too, because if people don't feel the improvement enough it will be judged as a gimmick that collects dust.

I hope it does well and has legs too. In order to be a true success and move VR out of novelty status the platform needs engaging, big budget games. If 4 or 5 games were dropping a year that were built from the ground up for VR and matched or surpassed Half-Life: Alyx in terms of quality, you might go mainstream with it. Bit of a chicken and egg scenario with this pricing though, because devs won't want to put the effort in without a large install base, and $550 + $400 for a PS4 might be beyond the mainstream gamer. Sure 4090s sell for more, but that's a tiny spec in the ocean when it comes to gamers in general.

Then you could say, well the games will be smaller at first and then improve over time. But that hurts adoption too, because if people don't feel the improvement enough it will be judged as a gimmick that collects dust.

It’s an uphill battle to become mainstream

But once PS5 has a user base of 50+M, I think PSVR2 can carve out a niche that’s a good slow burn business strategy

I don’t think we’ll get anywhere near 4-5 Alyx level titles, but I don’t think it’s too hard to imagine 1 must have per year combined with quite a few experimental sleeper type hits and AAA games with VR modes (like RE:8)

I don’t think widespread adoption in total is the objective here, but capturing momentum and keeping the user base engaged and still relevant so they can continue to build on that success of the future

Last edited:

demigod

Good news with that price point. It will hit $399 by holidays because there will be a ton of them on store shelves.

Im not interested in VR as much as im interested in the controllers.

They could port a bunch of PS Move games. Probably would be easier than porting PSVR1 games.

Tams

Gold Member
A decent price.

I'm not interested though unless full PC support can be had.

To all those complaining it costs more than a PS5. The PS5 (and Xbox Series) are just almost bogstandard x86 PCs in a custom case. There's nothing really special about them, and despite what they claim, very little custom work had to be done to create them.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Things I see in this thread that amuses me:

We've had VR for a couple of years now, and still;

1) droves of people announcing their intent NOT to buy this item.

2) tendencies to look at hmd's as accesories that have no applications outside of their designed purpose

3) general adversity towards the price (which is an insane value when you get down to it)

PeteBull

Im in, but show me:

GT fully in VR
Maybe even GTA5
Some other racing games, NFS style.
A few cardio/boxing games
A full blown RPG/adventure game 40hrs plus.
Less "experiences"
A few other needed things that havent come to mind

Once I see some of those, Im REALLY in.
For that to happen we would have all good sony first party studios or overall good devs have any incentive to make games for VR, and looks like it will not happt, VR will stay niche at least till end of current gen(2030 maybe?:p)

Last edited:

mxbison

2) tendencies to look at hmd's as accesories that have no applications outside of their designed purpose

3) general adversity towards the price (which is an insane value when you get down to it)

You forgot: obviously never tried VR but insist it's just a gimmick like 3D TV's

NinjaBoiX

Meh, VR still hasn’t truly taken off, but maybe this will be the product to do it? I’ll wait it out, if it becomes a truly viable platform then I’ll pick one up preowned down the line, once there’s a compelling library.

But I’m not shelling out £500+ to play a handful of underwhelming indie games in the meantime…

NinjaBoiX

What applications?

Am I going to sit and watch a movie inside a VR headset or something?

sendit

No thank you at that price.

I've actually been a pretty big supporter of VR over the years. I only just recently sold my Oculus Quest 2, and PSVR because I just rarely wanted to play any of those games longer than a few minutes. Not that I think they're all bad experiences, but a lot of even the biggest VR games still come across as tech demos, and after years of giving devs time to grow and work with the platform's potential, very few games ever lived up to it I think. Very few games made me want to go through the trouble of playing them for too long. Half Life Alyx was the only exclusive VR game that made me want to play it for hours. Every thing else was playable outside of VR in some way. Borderlands 2 was decent on PSVR, but only because it had Aim support, the PC version had shit support, and didn't work properly with Quest 2. Gal Gun 2 was surprisingly fun with VR, but I had to buy virtual desktop to get it to work properly, but it was another one of the few I could really play for a long time because of how well it worked.

After a while though, I kept feeling the experience was not worth shutting myself out of the world. Not to mention my head just gets so uncomfortable in all the headsets I've used after about 20-30 minutes.

At almost $600 after tax though, no thank you. When I got my previous headsets, they had the benefit of at least being affordable, but this is bull shit pricing and will not grow the market.

Troll post? Alzheimer? Dementia? Supranuclear palsy? Whatever it is, the PSVR on release was $399 with out the horrible move controllers or camera needed to utilize the device. $499 bundled.

SkylineRKR

Meh, VR still hasn’t truly taken off, but maybe this will be the product to do it? I’ll wait it out, if it becomes a truly viable platform then I’ll pick one up preowned down the line, once there’s a compelling library.

But I’m not shelling out £500+ to play a handful of underwhelming indie games in the meantime…
VR will never really take off. Its always cumbersome to hook up, and you're isolated. Some people get nauseous too. And you need hardware to drive it, outside of Quest (which also needs hardware for heavier stuff). Then the software, they aren't going full VR. Its not like the next mainline God of War or CoD will be VR only.

VR did find its place, I think. Its a nice peripheral. For me, its fun for like 30 minutes. Then I kind of want to play without a HMD and have awareness. Most Quests I see around, first weeks people are using it lots, and then less, and then dust gathering. Same happened to my PSVR. Its because of the combination of software (most of it is quick fix or C tier), and the fact you have to put the thing on just for those quick fix games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom