• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 launches February 22, 2023, with pre-orders starting November 15 - $549.99

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad

K2D

Banned
What applications?

Am I going to sit and watch a movie inside a VR headset or something?
If that floats your fancy, sure. PSVR has a digital theater for watching 2d and stereoscoping 3d content. There is even 360° documentaries and concert experiences (not nearly enough though).
You forgot: obviously never tried VR but insist it's just a gimmick like 3D TV's
Oh, sure! Hadn't seen too much in this thread. 🙌

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So Sony will be releasing a state of the art VR headset in 2023 with fresnel lenses? That's a disappointment.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Wondering how this does.

Part of me wants it to be really successful so it hopefully gets loads of support....part of me wants it to tank so I can pick it up super cheap after a year or so..

Power Pro

Troll post? Alzheimer? Dementia? Supranuclear palsy? Whatever it is, the PSVR on release was $399 with out the horrible move controllers or camera needed to utilize the device. $499 bundled.
No need to be a jerk about it.

You're right, it may have launched at an unreasonable price also for the time, but it was cheaper than what was available on PC at the time, so $399 actually seemed like a bargain when it came out. This was when other VR headsets for PC were going for around $800 for something like the Vive.

Times have changed though, and we've seen VR headsets for as low as $300 brand new like when the quest 2 first came out. Not to mention the PSVR1 dropped in price pretty quick. You could find it for about half the launch price after a year. I know I did, that's when I first got one. Whatever this headset offers, I can tell you, most consumers are not gonna see a huge difference over it and what something like the quest 2, or original PSVR offered. If anything, it has felt like VR is fading from relevance, even among gaming enthusiasts. These companies are acting like it's in some position where they can ask top dollar price, when it's still in "convince people to buy" phase. They can't just improve the technology slightly, charge more than the console it's for, then people will just flock to it like PS5 itself. They're going to get a rude awakening I think. We're still in a phase where they need to be proving the technology was worth the price people paid for PSVR, not to mention what this price is. $549 for a lot for something that most people don't want unless you get it in their hands at a reasonable price.

Last edited:

Soosa

Banned
Lot of negativity about the price here.

600 € is not much for people whom have jobs, for a high tech hobby item that lasts years.

600 €/$ to phone? to booze in a year? to taxi/uber? to restaurants? no problem, while all these are basically worthless waste of money.

for psvr2, problem. Weird world.

I got epicly sick from psvr1, yet I dont think 600€ is too much for high tech item like this, even if i cant get used to it.

yesterday I bougth Sony lens for a camera for 1099€. Hobbies are expensive, life is full of choices.

Just wait and buy it used, if 550-600 is too deep.

Compared to PC vr stuff, it's on the line/cheap so there is literally no issues with the price, assuming they sell them all, so it is just issue for some people.

I have been poor bastard, yet I think I would still have been able to buy this by saving a year.

Last edited:

Markio128

600 € is not much for people whom have jobs, for a high tech hobby item that lasts years.

600 €/$ to phone? to booze in a year? to taxi/uber? to restaurants? no problem, while all these are basically worthless waste of money.

I got epicly sick from psvr1, yet I dont think 600€ is too much for high tech item like this, even if i cant get used to it.

yesterday I bouth Sony lens for a camera for 1099€. Hobbies are expensive, life is full of choices.

Compared to PC vr stuff, it's on the line/cheap so there is literally no issues with the price, assuming they sell them all, so it is just issue for some people.

I have been poor bastard, yet I think I would still have been able to buy this by saving a year.
I can afford it on release, but at this price point, it really needs to release with some proper bangers for me to jump in day 1. GT7 update is a must for me, or even a standalone GT VR game would be even better. RE:Village looks fantastic, but it gives me the creeps on the TV, so VR for this game is not for me 😂

I’m on the fence atm.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
bro you need to pay 1020 dollars if you don't have a PS5 already in order to try out PSVR
i was at least expecting 499 or 449... not one that's more expensive than the console
why sony why?!?!?! :messenger_loudly_crying:

digdug2

Just wait for all the retailers offering PS5 only with VR2 bundle, thus prolonging the supply problems. Good job Sony.
According to the Sony blogpost, the PSVR2 will only be available through Playstation Direct initially and you have to register for a possible pre-order invitation.

midnightAI

No one is talking about the launch games?

I just watched every one of those trailers and its ten minutes of my life I'll never get back. Nope to everyone of them.

Hardware needs software!
Again (I tried to get a response earlier but all I got was 'Blog Post' as the reply), where is this list of launch games?

keefged4

Ehh no. Had PSVR1, novelty wore off after a couple of months. The price is ridiculous for a handful of "experiences" and a shedload of shovelware that will inevitably come out for it just like the first one.

//DEVIL//

Time to stop shit posting.
When you have a wireless headset from a competitor that is far more compatible with games and cheaper, it’s not called shit posting. It’s called calling out a scam

Yes the VR2 is more advanced . But it’s 1.5 years newer and it’s wired.

What Sony is doing here is not justified. Especially when it’s not even backward compatible.

Learn the difference.

• Empathy
Reactions: K2D

tommib

When you have a wireless headset from a competitor that is far more compatible with games and cheaper, it’s not called shit posting. It’s called calling out a scam

What Sony is doing here is not justified. Especially when it’s not even backward compatible.

Learn the difference.
There’s already VR1 games on the PSN store with VR2 versions. The updates will come. At this point, I think most games will be updated for VR2.

mxbison

yesterday I bougth Sony lens for a camera for 1099€. Hobbies are expensive, life is full of choices.

Yeah, people who keep complaining about how expensive gaming is haven't tried a lot of other hobbies.

Mr.ODST

Its ok saying £529 is ok for people who have jobs or a high tech hobby.

But with High Cost of Living and more and prices rising higher and higher its becoming alot more difficult to invest more into that hobby.

You can easily afford a PSVR2 without any worry if all you do is wank off to YuGiOh cards and sleep with your anime body pillow at night.

"600 €/$ to phone? to booze in a year? to taxi/uber? to restaurants? no problem, while all these are basically worthless waste of money."

Well if Sony dont bring the software out the PSVR2 will be a massive waste, the issue with the pricing is that its not suitable atall for your average consumer, that is where the money is, I dont think you realise how little "Tech Hobby" and people on these forums impact sales compared to the general public.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Mr.ODST Mr.ODST

Key word here is value. Meta quest might be more your thing?

Knowing my experience with PSVR1, and the specs we have for PSVR2 - to some of us here it's a great value.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I don't think it's expensive. Not cheap either yeah, but when it comes to a VR device I'd go with quality rather than price.

The important thing here are the games. 600€ isn't much if you are going to be able to play real VR bangers. If the offering is just short VR "experiences" and minigame kinda things, then yeah, you could expend those 600€ much better elsewhere.

Really hoping Sony starts funding more real VR bangers and porting them to PC. That could be the VR renaissance we have been waiting for.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It is a massive shame it isn't wireless. I understand why Sony went with wired but they should have figured out a way to have the option of wireless.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Is this really going to be more profitable in the short and long term for Sony than releasing a £299 Vita 2 that can play native games and stream PS5 games through the cloud via PS Premium? I’m just so confused by this strategy. All the Q&A and high BOM for a high end price, tiny amount of games and tiny instal base. I just don’t get it.

midnightAI

Learn the difference.
I think you need to read up on what the word 'scam' means

Tell you what, you go tell Sony that you don't want (near) 4K HDR amoled displays, tell them you don't want eye tracking/foveated rendering, tell them that you don't want haptics.... their answer will be get a PSVR 1 then.

All of these 'next gen vr' features cost money, it's got higher specs than the majority of headsets out there and even has some firsts for the consumer market.

Heavy motion sickness so VR is impossible for me, but some of those shooter games look fun and must be immersive in VR
I get heavy motion sickness from most FPSs but I'm still buying this.

Cockpit games (where you as a person don't actually move but just the vehicle you're in) should be fine. Like GT7, Dirt Rally, Star Wars Squadrons.

Over time I'm sure you can accustom yourself to other genres if you only play them for a few minutes in the beginning.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Heavy motion sickness so VR is impossible for me, but some of those shooter games look fun and must be immersive in VR
It sucks because a lot of people would probably get used to it, I can run around in an FPS now no problem, but it's too big an outlay to take the risk that you might never get over it.

//DEVIL//

I think you need to read up on what the word 'scam' means

Tell you what, you go tell Sony that you don't want (near) 4K HDR amoled displays, tell them you don't want eye tracking/foveated rendering, tell them that you don't want haptics.... their answer will be get a PSVR 1 then.

All of these 'next gen vr' features cost money, it's got higher specs than the majority of headsets out there and even has some firsts for the consumer market.
No where in my post I said the tech is horrible in VR2. But what is asking in terms of value and what is offering isn’t even close . You think their price is justified . I am not, not by a long shot too.

This is not a hate PlayStation reply . Their headsets works on PC so I can buy it there if I felt the need. I just can’t … justify this price ( 800$ Canadian probably ) for a a VR headset that is wired and very limited games / games compatibility.

Mr.ODST

Mr.ODST Mr.ODST

Key word here is value. Meta quest might be more your thing?

Knowing my experience with PSVR1, and the specs we have for PSVR2 - to some of us here it's a great value.
Im not saying its not great value, the tech is great and I personally am excited to test it out especially how they utilise haptics and more BUT with the current environment and economy the general consumer isnt going to see whats good about it but the price will be a big "Hell no" moment for alot of people

tommib

Is this really going to be more profitable in the short and long term for Sony than releasing a £299 Vita 2 that can play native games and stream PS5 games through the cloud via PS Premium? I’m just so confused by this strategy. All the Q&A and high BOM for a high end price, tiny amount of games and tiny instal base. I just don’t get it.
I don’t know, Banjo. Releasing this high-tech VR headset is part of the few new Sony initiatives that doesn’t immediately look like a “for profit” task.

It looks like Sony is deeply researching and trying to be at the forefront of the technology - which I do think is a cool thing. There’s no high-tech VR in consoles at the moment. If that pays off, we don’t know. The Switch being a gigantic blockbuster success and having very ancient technology shows us otherwise. Wait and see, I guess.

This is why I think Nintendo is the only company that could bring VR to the mass market. The art style and toaster-specs their games use lend themselves perfectly to the lower power of wireless headsets. AstroBot is amazing, but nothing would top stepping into the Mushroom Kingdom or Hyrule.
While I do agree that Nintendo definitely has the franchises but there is no way we would get anything top shelf in the graphics. VR is supposed to be realistic and immersive so I don't feel stepping into cartoon worlds would really feed into that. Their VR equivalent would be something so cheap and lame as those headsets you see at dollar stores that just fit your smartphone in sideways.

midnightAI

No where in my post I said the tech is horrible in VR2. But what is asking in terms of value and what is offering isn’t even close . You think their price is justified . I am not, not by a long shot too.
No, you said it's a scam, which it obviously isnt, I wouldnt be surprised if they are making zero profit on these things.

What do you mean in terms of value?
The tech inside justifies the price (if anything it actually seems cheap compared to other similar specced vr headsets, this is more like a premium headset for mid-range money)
If you are talking about software then we don't really know the answer to that as we havent seen any first party offerings other than Horizon: Call of the Mountain (cmon Sony, give us a revamped Killzone 2 in VR), I'm guessing most of the popular PSVR 1 games will get patches.

Anyway, pointless argument, you don't think its worth the price and I do, personal opinions and all that.

//DEVIL//

No, you said it's a scam, which it obviously isnt, I wouldnt be surprised if they are making zero profit on these things.

What do you mean in terms of value?
The tech inside justifies the price (if anything it actually seems cheap compared to other similar specced vr headsets, this is more like a premium headset for mid-range money)
If you are talking about software then we don't really know the answer to that as we havent seen any first party offerings other than Horizon: Call of the Mountain (cmon Sony, give us a revamped Killzone 2 in VR), I'm guessing most of the popular PSVR 1 games will get patches.

Anyway, pointless argument, you don't think its worth the price and I do, personal opinions and all that.
It’s exactly as you said . Personal opinions and we agree to disagree. To me for a company to charge for a headset that
- costs more than the most expensive ps5 version
- very limited Library of new and old games being ported combined
- not wireless ( doesn’t even have its own stand alone processor / battery like the quest does to play without even connecting to a system

Is to me a scam . That goes to every company not just Sony btw

I am not really sure why some think I am trolling or something . PlayStation have the best talented studios in the world . They have the best games in the world . I grew up playing PlayStation my entire life as a main console till recently when I switched to PC.
I only hate Sony’s management. It’s shit . Not the system or the devs or the games they have . To me Bungie is worth more than recent MS purchase of Bethesda.

bootaski

I know I'm not the only one who's a little distressed by not getting an invite despite having registered, but is there anything I can do at this point besides wait? Register again? Talk with a rep over chat and tell them how many years I've been on playstation?

tommib

I know I'm not the only one who's a little distressed by not getting an invite despite having registered, but is there anything I can do at this point besides wait? Register again? Talk with a rep over chat and tell them how many years I've been on playstation?
We should start a support group. Just this year I’ve spent 550 EUR on PSN games. But because my original store account is Portuguese and I used the Dutch Direct Store (I live in the Netherlands), they’ll probably not consider my registration - so I’ll be out of the lottery. It’s going to be a pain to grab one of these at launch.

"Guys, price gouging is totally ok! It's just what you do! Just consume!"

Are people really this brainwashed?

who said its ok and whats your point anyway? crying and moaning is gonna do fuck all either. if its such a problem for you, then stop "consuming" and save your money. problem solved. nobody forces anybody to buy any of this luxury shit. we are each adults who can decide if its worth our money or not. do you complain about other shit you cant afford aswell? Oh and there's this thing called price cuts. Wait for it like the rest of us if its too expensive for you.

midnightAI

It’s exactly as you said . Personal opinions and we agree to disagree. To me for a company to charge for a headset that
- costs more than the most expensive ps5 version
- very limited Library of new and old games being ported combined
- not wireless ( doesn’t even have its own stand alone processor / battery like the quest does to play without even connecting to a system

Is to me a scam . That goes to every company not just Sony btw

I am not really sure why some think I am trolling or something . PlayStation have the best talented studios in the world . They have the best games in the world . I grew up playing PlayStation my entire life as a main console till recently when I switched to PC.
I only hate Sony’s management. It’s shit . Not the system or the devs or the games they have . To me Bungie is worth more than recent MS purchase of Bethesda.

So what you are really saying is unless its a Quest 2 then its a scam?

So what if it costs more than the PS5? I keep hearing this, who cares? most top end PC VR headsets cost more than the average PC. Is there a rule that the VR headset has to cost less than the device it runs from?
Very limited library? well, yeh, it's not even out yet and we don't know how many old games are being ported.
Not wireless? that's what happens when you have 4K output at 120hz and have eye tracking+foveated rendering

I guess its the word 'scam' that is rubbing me the wrong way, expensive? maybe, not wireless? yeh, sure, but scam? a scam suggests Sony is being dishonest/fraudulent which they aren't

It’s going to be a pain to grab one of these at launch.
If Sony isn't doing their best to exclude scalpers, they are dumb. Sony Direct should have been started all over the world for months now, but it is still only a few countries. And while it could be easy to reserve every available unit, PS5 and VR2, for actual, active gamers/ game buyers, they just throw those in the market in hopes that it sorts itself out. It would be in their own interest to cut off the scalper parasites but they only do it half-heartedly.

//DEVIL//

So what you are really saying is unless its a Quest 2 then its a scam?

So what if it costs more than the PS5? I keep hearing this, who cares? most top end PC VR headsets cost more than the average PC. Is there a rule that the VR headset has to cost less than the device it runs from?
Very limited library? well, yeh, it's not even out yet and we don't know how many old games are being ported.
Not wireless? that's what happens when you have 4K output at 120hz and have eye tracking+foveated rendering

I guess its the word 'scam' that is rubbing me the wrong way, expensive? maybe, not wireless? yeh, sure, but scam? a scam suggests Sony is being dishonest/fraudulent which they aren't
Has nothing to do with quest 2 bud. If that helps, Meta increasing the price of quest 2 a 100$ after it’s first release is a scam as well.

English isn’t my first language. So maybe Scam isn’t the right word . But I can’t think of any other word aside from overpriced shit . It’s like apple with their over priced stuff . Way over charging to the point it’s almost a joke ?

bootaski

We should start a support group. Just this year I’ve spent 550 EUR on PSN games. But because my original store account is Portuguese and I used the Dutch Direct Store (I live in the Netherlands), they’ll probably not consider my registration - so I’ll be out of the lottery. It’s going to be a pain to grab one of these at launch.

I've been on my current psn account since 2012(had an old one since ps3 launch but lost it), spent close to $1000 on psn games this year, am a premium plus sub, pre-ordered edge controller, level 3 playstation stars, 303 trophy level... I hope it's not a lottery. If this is the result of an effort to reduce scalping, I think it's backfiring.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just wait for all the retailers offering PS5 only with VR2 bundle, thus prolonging the supply problems. Good job Sony.
Canadian prices:

PS5 $650
VR2 $750
Total $1400

The bundle would be maybe $1300 giving a slight deal, or they'd add in more shit like a free game and keep it at $1400.

Crazy.

Top Bottom