• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 launches February 22, 2023, with pre-orders starting November 15 - $549.99

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Shit prices.
I can see why some would feel this way. Especially in the current global economy.

Shit games.
So far, not blown away myself, but if GT7 gets full support, along with NMS already getting support, those two alone look good for me.

Shit tech.
Nah fam, hard disagree. Even if the price is steep for some, it’s fantastic tech, even at that price. Especially in comparison to other sets on the market.

I still won’t bite unless GT7 gets full support. Not tacked on shit.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You know what Sony should do?

Instead of making 7 hour long Horizon Call of the Mountain type games...they should try making big, open world, multiplayer games that players want to spend hundreds of hours in.

The fundamentals of flat screen gaming apply to PSVR2 as well. Only there's significantly less competition in the VR space.

Tygeezy

Instead of making 7 hour long Horizon Call of the Mountain type games...they should try making big, open world, multiplayer games that players want to spend hundreds of hours in.

The fundamentals of flat screen gaming apply to PSVR2 as well. Only there's significantly less competition in the VR space.
There are already a good amount of run short indie games in VR. I would like to see genres which are proving to be the most popular. There is already a battle royal game and it’s pretty dang good, but it’s exclusive to Facebook since they acquired the developer.

I would like to see an extraction type game like escape from tarkov or the new dmz mode for call of duty. I would also like to see a multiplayer survival game with server choices for full pvp.

Neither of those games exist in vr yet. You have single player survival games but no multiplayer ones yet.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Maybe that’s part of some GaaS projects.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
great, I get to buy REZ for a 10th time.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
How many people do this naked in the comfort of there own home.

I wish I could afford a $1000 to run and gun naked in VR in my own home. I have to do it in a big field and there is nothing worse than getting your 'kill streak' streak ruined by the cops.

If you ain't gaming in the nude then why are you even gaming?
At least you admit that you gaming nude. Are you nude for your friends too when your on video calls in Discord with your butt buddies? I feel bad for them, there is probably nothing too see anyways. :p

I can see why some would feel this way. Especially in the current global economy.

So far, not blown away myself, but if GT7 gets full support, along with NMS already getting support, those two alone look good for me.

Nah fam, hard disagree. Even if the price is steep for some, it’s fantastic tech, even at that price. Especially in comparison to other sets on the market.

I still won’t bite unless GT7 gets full support. Not tacked on shit.
$550 and tech is considered good? Bro, this thing ain't even backward compatible what's the whole point of owning all of those previous PSVR games? lol.

yurinka

There are already a good amount of run short indie games in VR. I would like to see genres which are proving to be the most popular. There is already a battle royal game and it’s pretty dang good, but it’s exclusive to Facebook since they acquired the developer.

I would like to see an extraction type game like escape from tarkov or the new dmz mode for call of duty. I would also like to see a multiplayer survival game with server choices for full pvp.

Neither of those games exist in vr yet. You have single player survival games but no multiplayer ones yet.
Install base of VR is very small, meaning games have small sales for VR. So the budget of VR games must be small to be profitable. Very short games are way cheaper to do than very long games, so they choose to do short games for VR.

The only option I see for getting big ass open world games for VR is to release that game also for tvs in consoles and tv, not only for VR. By doing that they could achieve a huge install base that could generate enough sales to justify big budgets.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
$550 and tech is considered good? Bro, this thing ain't even backward compatible what's the whole point of owning all of those previous PSVR games? lol.
It's not backwards compatible because the tech, specifically the controller tech, has moved on, but all that really needs to happen is these games need to be updated for the new controllers which at least some devs seem to be doing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's up to the developers to update their games with native PS5/PSVR2 versions, which new ones seemed to be announced and for free everytime there is a new PSVR2 news drop.

For the hardware itself, yes, it's fantastic tech.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
pt56lpv9buo11.jpg

I mean, I get it, and I jumped on Oculus 2 (plus PC/Steam) for basically that reason of not wanting to wait forever.

But... to be fair, the PSVR2 still hasn't passed the very first frame of that cartoon, being neither wireless nor affordable.

Reactions: TLZ
That's up to the developers to update their games with native PS5/PSVR2 versions, which new ones seemed to be announced and for free everytime there is a new PSVR2 news drop.

For the hardware itself, yes, it's fantastic tech.
I really want VR to be good trust me. But after the shitty 1st gen oculus and wasting $300 it left a bad taste in my mouth. I fear buying another device out of hype or interest and then just never play it again due to lack of games or comfort wear. Oculus was very uncomfortable and way too big. I am hoping soon VR will reach much smaller size where it can fit even better tech and better price. But again that might take a while, I do believe though great things can be achieved with VR in the future, but as of this moment I still don't see a reason to own one whether it's PSVR2 or whatever else.

Tygeezy

Install base of VR is very small, meaning games have small sales for VR. So the budget of VR games must be small to be profitable. Very short games are way cheaper to do than very long games, so they choose to do short games for VR.

The only option I see for getting big ass open world games for VR is to release that game also for tvs in consoles and tv, not only for VR. By doing that they could achieve a huge install base that could generate enough sales to justify big budgets.
I’m okay with hybrid games. Some of my favorite vr games have been flatscreen ports like doom 3, quake 2 and return to castle wolfenstein.

Some of these games I’m talking about don’t have huge budgets though. Games like Rust and day z didn’t have massive budgets and would be a great fit for VR.

Tygeezy

At first, sure. Sony can lump a piece a poop in a box and market it PlayStation Poop and it will sell out at launch to the enthusiasts.
I guess it’s a good thing this isn’t poop? This will sell out at initial release and then probably have a couple really strong titles next holiday season like a new astrobot and Alyx.

Team Asobi hasn’t done anything since playroom which released in 2020.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

I'm mostly talking about multiplayer. How big was the PUBG studio, the Rust studio, or the Valheim studio when those games first launched?

Firewall Zero Hour was Rainbow Six Siege-lite and it was one of the most successful games on PSVR.

Wouldn't the natural next step be an attempt at Rust or Tarkov-lite from one of these studios?

Btw, I do like your idea about VR to flat screen combinations...https://www.neogaf.com/threads/cros...s-to-tie-character-class-to-platform.1637316/

MScarpa

DOA. Price is a joke. Niche product. In 7 years you can purchase the VR3 from Sony for only 749$, and purchase VR1/VR2 Remakes for only 79.99$

Tygeezy

Would you guys think of this as an expensive tv purchase? Because it also works as a large screen tv for traditional flat games.

If you’re rocking a 1080 p 60 hz screen this is going be much better.

Last edited:

ABnormal

Considered? Hardware quality is not an opinion. Numbers speak by themselves, and the specs and features of the set are impressive. Even more at that price. And backward compatibility is not like on pc, where there are not generation standards: if consoles continue to seek the generations model, every game has to be developed around the new standards. For PSVR2, controls and tracking are different, and so they would need complete adaptation throughout the whole game, to work. It's not just slapping the software in ps5. Also, simple backward compatibility would look quite bad on PSVR2. The good thing is that many PSVR1 games will be remastered, so they will be put on sale on PSVR2 also, and all the people who purchased them on PSVR1, will have the chance to upgrade to the PSVR2 version for free. That would be the best possible outcome. Now we have to see how many of them will receive the treatment.

ABnormal

At first, sure. Sony can lump a piece a poop in a box and market it PlayStation Poop and it will sell out at launch to the enthusiasts.
Sure. It's not that Sony products sell because they are universally considered good tech, as measured by tech reviews. They sell because yes. At least wait to be an adult, before trying to have a real opinion.

ZoukGalaxy

PSVR2 Is a fantastic product! To begin with, it shows a remarkable continuation of the pricing politics pushed by Sony this year.
And games! What a great, unbelievable high quality lineup. This is something else. Cant wait to play Sierra Squad.
This product is definitely a Quest killer.
Mr. Spencer should be extremely worried by this product. Its destined to be a massive, wii-like seller.
Not gonna say that Xbox is doomed, but probably!
Awesome Well Done GIF by Cappa Video Productions

dotnotbot

Wow, kinda funny games absolutely nailed their opinions on this...

Sony are going to ditch this like vita, psvr etc in no time.

Doesn't mean their won't be enjoyable games at some point but I'm deffo waiting to pick up on a deep discount
To be fair, PS VR 1 got a lot more exclusives from Sony than PS Vita (I mean new games, not ports like GoW Collection).

Wow, kinda funny games absolutely nailed their opinions on this...

Sony are going to ditch this like vita, psvr etc in no time.

Doesn't mean their won't be enjoyable games at some point but I'm deffo waiting to pick up on a deep discount.

Nah, there’s tons of indie and third party support in addition to VR modes of AAA games.

It won’t be “ditched” when projects cost a lot less to implement or make

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Nah, there’s tons of indie and third party support in addition to VR modes of AAA games.

It won’t be “ditched” when projects cost a lot less to implement or make
The problem is, which they nailed. Is more or less all the games they've announced have been on meta quest 2 for years....which is a headset that sold millions. Is the price of a ps5 and this headset reasonable enough to play ports of games that have been available on other platforms for years?

It's an expensive ask. Also, Where's the dedication from Sony...Where's the big first party stuff? Why haven't they put the effort to find ways to make astro bot a free update etc on launch day?

Just like the vita we will probably see one or two attempts from Sony like uncharted golden abyss then they will ditch it ASAP because why would they invest in one of their studios making a big game for this headset to sell 500k copies, if they are lucky, when they could make a game for an install base of 30 million and sell 2 to 3 mill?

It's gonna flop unfortunately, as the sentiment that it is too expensive with little to no software is already being shared all over the internet.

midnightAI

The problem is, which they nailed. Is more or less all the games they've announced have been on meta quest 2 for years....which is a headset that sold millions. Is the price of a ps5 and this headset reasonable enough to play ports of games that have been available on other platforms for years?
Third parties can put whatever games they want on PS VR 2, what they announced the other day is just some third party titles that are coming and the fact they are on Quest 2 is irrelevant, in fact those are easy ports so its a good thing as it nicely pads out the library. And its more than 'reasonable enough', look at Star Wars, the PS VR 2 version is way above the Quest version.

It's an expensive ask. Also, Where's the dedication from Sony...Where's the big first party stuff? Why haven't they put the effort to find ways to make astro bot a free update etc on launch day?
There seems to be this misinformation out there that the 11 games that they have put on their blog post is all of the launch games, it isnt, there are 20+ games coming at launch, some of those games will be the ones in that blog post, we haven't seen Sony's first party yet other than Horizon (my guess is a showcase before years end to show 2023+2024 games including VR).

Many of the big VR games will get patches, Astro Bot will most likely be patched, I can't see any reason why they wouldn't.

Just like the vita we will probably see one or two attempts from Sony like uncharted golden abyss then they will ditch it ASAP because why would they invest in one of their studios making a big game for this headset to sell 500k copies, if they are lucky, when they could make a game for an install base of 30 million and sell 2 to 3 mill?
To sell the hardware? also, Sony have this idea that they would like games to have many traditional non VR games playable in VR (the same as Resi 7 and now Village). My guess is that is why they have gone the foveated rendering route as 'technically' that should help boost the framerates up to allow that to happen.

I also think that the Horizon situation won't be unique, I think that Sony's first party will work with other teams (both first and third party) to bring some of their larger first party franchises to VR.

It's gonna flop unfortunately, as the sentiment that it is too expensive with little to no software is already being shared all over the internet.
It's really annoying when a console is coming out (or in this case a new next gen VR headset) and people say 'little to no software', well, durrr, it's not out yet. And you are also complaining about ports of Quest games, well what do you want, no ports or more software?

Time will tell if its going to flop or not, it's way too early to tell, but how many times have we heard X is going to flop and it ends up the opposite (and the opposite is also true, things we expect to be mega successful but flop, cough, Wii U, cough)

Last edited:

yurinka

They made a brand new AAA title of one of their biggest IPs for launch instead of an Astro port. They also announced titles like RE Village, Resident Evil 4 Remake, No Man's Sky, Among Us VR etc. And seems that the new Call of Duty also has some PSVR2 stuff.

Last edited:

yurinka

$550 and tech is considered good?
Yes, it's cheaper than the full PSVR1 set when it was released and also cheaper than the headsets with similar specs, which also need a PC more expensive than a PS5 to run similar games. Regarding specs compared to the other similar ones it's great specially for its price.

Last edited:

mxbison

Would you guys think of this as an expensive tv purchase? Because it also works as a large screen tv for traditional flat games.

If you’re rocking a 1080 p 60 hz screen this is going be much better.

No, VR is not at the point where flat pictures look anywhere near as good as on a normal screen.

It's the 3D movies/games with real depth perception that make it special.

Resenge

Tamper your expectation, its not going to be full game. I am thinking Ace Combat 7 with some extra VR contents
Why do you think that? The full RE4 experience is already out on the Quest and is one of the best VR games for that platform, not to mention Konami Capcom has already pushed VR with full RE experiences like RE7 which again was fantastic.

RE Village is also coming with full VR support.

Last edited:

mxbison

Yes but do we know if there is a way to watch one of those 40GB 8K 120fps “movies” on the headset yet?

I doubt that Sony goes full retard again and puts a media player on it that can't actually play 3D content like with PSVR1.

But if they do there will still be 3rd party software.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Why do you think that? The full RE4 experience is already out on the Quest and is one of the best VR games for that platform, not to mention Konami has already pushed VR with full RE experiences like RE7 which again was fantastic.

RE Village is also coming with full VR support.

They said “PSVR2 content” instead of outright saying it’ll support PSVR2.

Top Bottom