• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 launches February 22, 2023, with pre-orders starting November 15 - $549.99

AlphaDump

Gold Member
The price is right inline with my expectations. I would typically day 1 this, but they need some really compelling software to back this up. I'm not dropping that kind of money to play gimmicky throw away titles.

At minimum i am expecting Half-life Alyx at launch but haven't heard anything.

Still optimistic but no longer going to try and preorder this.

midnightAI

Why do you think that? The full RE4 experience is already out on the Quest and is one of the best VR games for that platform, not to mention Konami has already pushed VR with full RE experiences like RE7 which again was fantastic.

RE Village is also coming with full VR support.
I think you meant Capcom

RE 4 is a full remake for PS5 so it isn't the Quest RE4 (which was just a resolution increase, the rest of the game was the same, well, apart from being in VR of course)
What the PSVR 2 'content' will be, who knows, I wouldn't mind something more specific for VR (kind of like Kitchen, which was way scarier than RE7, make it much longer of course)

Resenge

I think you meant Capcom

RE 4 is a full remake for PS5 so it isn't the Quest RE4 (which was just a resolution increase, the rest of the game was the same, well, apart from being in VR of course)
What the PSVR 2 'content' will be, who knows, I wouldn't mind something more specific for VR (kind of like Kitchen, which was way scarier than RE7, make it much longer of course)
Oops, fixed.

Quest RE4 was more than a res increase and VR, I get what you mean though.

I don't know what you mean about Kitchen being scarier than RE7. I have only ever played RE7 in VR and it was super unsettling for me the first time I played it. One of the best early VR experiences I ever had.

I do not believe Village will be as scary as RE7 was, although I have already completed it on flat screen so its effect would be muted for me now anyway.

Last edited:

drezz

Call of Duty also has some PSVR2 stuff.
Would be cool to play the SP with VR, but damn! Give me MP.
At the very least let me play Invasion(solo or 4player coop or full on 20vs20) mode.

Speaking of Cod, why havn't we seen Cod nazi zombies 4player VR game yet?
They made thoose on everything... in VR it would be a blast(Iknow about the pavlov mods) too run around in a bunker in VR fighting nazi zombies... Again YES..! AGAIN!

Resenge

Would be cool to play the SP with VR, but damn! Give me MP.
At the very least let me play Invasion(solo or 4player coop or full on 20vs20) mode.

Speaking of Cod, why havn't we seen Cod nazi zombies 4player VR game yet?
They made thoose on everything... in VR it would be a blast(Iknow about the pavlov mods) too run around in a bunker in VR fighting nazi zombies... Again YES..! AGAIN!

?

I think it's pretty bare bones atm though.

drezz

?

I think it's pretty bare bones atm though.
That does look pretty bare bones indeed.
Currently playin After the fall with 3 of my brothers, so coop games with 4 players is what Im itching for, thus... Cod Nazi zombies VR please?!

That Crossfire game they showcased on PSVR2 looks right up our ally, but damn it! It better not be a PSVR2 exlusive!
And if multiplayform for PCVR... I do hope it end up with crossplatform as well, then I'll be on PSVR2 and they'll be on PCVR.

drezz

Really? What ones? I can't think of anything where blinking allows the monster to get closer. That's why Blink was such a great episode of Dr Who.
I can only think of movies and games that have them move when you are NOT looking at them, so turning around and back at them... only to realize they have moved.
The new RE DLC has that!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Nope!
Never Mind Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

The problem is, which they nailed. Is more or less all the games they've announced have been on meta quest 2 for years....which is a headset that sold millions. Is the price of a ps5 and this headset reasonable enough to play ports of games that have been available on other platforms for years?

It's an expensive ask. Also, Where's the dedication from Sony...Where's the big first party stuff? Why haven't they put the effort to find ways to make astro bot a free update etc on launch day?

Just like the vita we will probably see one or two attempts from Sony like uncharted golden abyss then they will ditch it ASAP because why would they invest in one of their studios making a big game for this headset to sell 500k copies, if they are lucky, when they could make a game for an install base of 30 million and sell 2 to 3 mill?

It's gonna flop unfortunately, as the sentiment that it is too expensive with little to no software is already being shared all over the internet.

I just don't think Sony has revealed their entire lineup for PSVR2, not even close.

IMHO, them dropping the news of PSVR2's price and a bunch of indie games that may have already been released was just to get them attention. They did it right before GoWR reviews too. Sony has a tendency to drop "bad news" before "good news"....I think they felt the price tag was a bit expensive and probably would have lukewarm reception.

I fully expect them to show off some first party games at a future PSVR2 showcase that gets everyone excited. I don't think it's going to "flop" at all, it'll basically sell out at launch IMHO. I think people are thirsty for next-gen VR on playstation.

Exoil

I will buy this day one as long as they're readily available. €600 MSRP probably means it'll be €700+ where I live but if you think that you get 4 years of enjoyment at a minimum out of it it's not really that much money.
You have people dropping €1k+ on the new iPhone every year that haven't brought much new in terms of anything, least of all enjoyment, in the last 7 years!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For you guys in the US who think it costs a lot, check this out.

Someone in Canada new to PS gaming wanting VR. And this even excludes PS+ sub plan ($70) and an extra game pad ($90) which a lot of people will buy. Add those to the mix and you're at $2,000 all in.

$650 PS5
$750 VR2
$180 for 3 starter games (lets say on average $60 CDN each as new full budget games are $90 here but you can skew down to $20 indie bargain games)
----------------------
$1,580 Subtotal
$205 Tax (13%)
----------------------
$1,785 Total

midnightAI

Someone in Canada new to PS gaming wanting VR. And this even excludes PS+ sub plan ($70) and an extra game pad ($90) which a lot of people will buy. Add those to the mix and you're at $2,000 all in.

$650 PS5
$750 VR2
$180 for 3 starter games (lets say on average $60 CDN each as new full budget games are $90 here but you can skew down to $20 indie bargain games)
----------------------
$1,580 Subtotal
$205 Tax (13%)
----------------------
$1,785 Total
ooh, dont forget to buy a car so you can get it home, oh, and a house to play it in so it doesnt get wet if it rains :messenger_winking:

aclar00

the screens are a major factor, as are the lenses, the eye tracking probably isnt cheap either.

The screens, as far as I am aware, are the first for any VR unit, 4K HDR OLED

Why would it have an internal power brick? but maybe the rest of your post is a sly dig at it not being wireless (forgive me if not as that's what most people who don't have any intention of getting PSVR 2 keep bringing up, like, get over it, it's not fricken wireless)

Not a sly dig at wireless, just thinking those components would make it more expensive. I dont mind the wire and while not extremely expensive, my price guess was around 449-499 USD.

I would genuinely like a breakdown of the unit to see whats inside. Also, i know tech gets more expensive as things get smaller, but given the advent of cell phone screens and mass production of them i just dont quite see the costs here. It just seems to me like a cellphone screen without the main innards. But as mentioned i didnt include anything outside of manufacturering that should likely be included as well.

Playstation under Jim is not about compensating hardware losses through software sales.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Not a sly dig at wireless, just thinking those components would make it more expensive. I dont mind the wire and while not extremely expensive, my price guess was around 449-499 USD.

I would genuinely like a breakdown of the unit to see whats inside. Also, i know tech gets more expensive as things get smaller, but given the advent of cell phone screens and mass production of them i just dont quite see the costs here. It just seems to me like a cellphone screen without the main innards. But as mentioned i didnt include anything outside of manufacturering that should likely be included as well.

Playstation under Jim is not about compensating hardware losses through software sales.
The screens are around 800ppi, these aren't your standard phone displays, and are HDR. Also, as mentioned, the lenses are also very expensive, things like wireless are cheap in comparison.

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member

$650 PS5
$750 VR2
----------------------
$1,580 Subtotal
$205 Tax (13%)
----------------------
$1,785 Total

Why does everyone keep doing this? Obviously PSVR2 is aimed at people who already have a PS5. Secondly, no one complains about the price of a PC when getting into PC VR. Why do it for PS5?

Then on top of that, you're adding games and an extra controller into the cost to further make it look bad. No one said that PS5/Xbox Series was $800/$900 (with 3 games/controller) when those prices were announced. I mean..... obviously you know it is around that price but you guys are going above and beyond to complain about PSVR's price for some reason.

Last edited:

Skifi28

$650 PS5
$750 VR2
----------------------
$1,580 Subtotal
$205 Tax (13%)
----------------------
$1,785 Total
Don't forget the house/apartment you need to play your VR in, nobody likes to play outdoors. You're easily looking at 100.000+

nbkicker

Ill prob buy this as bought the first one and liked it, but considering u can hardly get hold of a ps5 , cant wait to see the availability of these, as usual scalpers will take nearly all orders and sony wont have a ready supply, but can easily wait wont be paying above rrp for this, plus got a psvr v2 for half price, so if dont get a initial preorder then prob just wait till deals are on offer

Last edited:

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
A fool and his money are quickly parted. I have a quest 2 that is total wireless and bought for $299. This is almost double the price and tethered to a ps5. I can afford it but do not feel it warrants the price

So you're calling people fools who decide to buy PSVR 2 simply because you choose to buy a cheaper option? You do the same thing when people choose to buy a more expensive car than you? What about house? Clothes? Food? Come on....

Schitts Creek What GIF by CBC

Nico_D

That's a bit much for something I'm not sure is more than a passing fancy. I can get dust piles for cheaper than that.

vivftp

$650 PS5
$750 VR2
----------------------
$1,580 Subtotal
$205 Tax (13%)
----------------------
$1,785 Total

Wow, being disingenuous here. First off, using the $650 disc model price and not also showing the $520 digital model price for comparison. Then just arbitrarily tacking on 3 games for... reasons.

So let's use the $750 PSVR2 and the $520 digital PS5 as our starting point, that comes up to $1,270.00 before taxes
Let's see, back in 2016 the PS4 slim launched at $379 CDN. The PSVR launch bundle that featured the camera and 2 Move controllers was $699 CDN. That gives us $1,078.00 before taxes. Then adjust for inflation between 2016 and today, that means in todays money that PS4 + PSVR bundle would cost $1,278.00.

So using the value of todays dollar, the PS5 Digital + PSVR2 costs the equivalent of $78.00 less than the PS4 slim + PSVR bundle did.

As far as content goes, we'll have to see how this all plays out but there's a lot more potential for folks to have content to play on their PSVR2 than the folks who bought the PSVR at launch. There will be the PSVR2 launch lineup, of course. Then there's all the PSVR games that will receive patches to the PSVR2. Those games will be a lot more cost effective to new buyers, or folks may already have them in their library, plus many folks may have claimed them when Sony was giving away free PSVR games as a part of the stay at home initiative. After that is the possibility of some VR games making their way to PS+, providing a more cost effective option for folks to try different VR content.

So yeah, it's not really all that different than the PSVR launch was for us Canadians.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why does everyone keep doing this? Obviously PSVR2 is aimed at people who already have a PS5. Secondly, no one complains about the price of a PC when getting into PC VR. Why do it for PS5?

Then on top of that, you're adding games and an extra controller into the cost to further make it look bad. No one said that PS5/Xbox Series was $800/$900 (with 3 games/controller) when those prices were announced. I mean..... obviously you know it is around that price but you guys are going above and beyond to complain about PSVR's price for some reason.

Wow, being disingenuous here. First off, using the $650 disc model price and not also showing the $520 digital model price for comparison. Then just arbitrarily tacking on 3 games for... reasons.

So let's use the $750 PSVR2 and the $520 digital PS5 as our starting point, that comes up to $1,270.00 before taxes
Let's see, back in 2016 the PS4 slim launched at $379 CDN. The PSVR launch bundle that featured the camera and 2 Move controllers was $699 CDN. That gives us $1,078.00 before taxes. Then adjust for inflation between 2016 and today, that means in todays money that PS4 + PSVR bundle would cost $1,278.00.

So using the value of todays dollar, the PS5 Digital + PSVR2 costs the equivalent of $78.00 less than the PS4 slim + PSVR bundle did.

As far as content goes, we'll have to see how this all plays out but there's a lot more potential for folks to have content to play on their PSVR2 than the folks who bought the PSVR at launch. There will be the PSVR2 launch lineup, of course. Then there's all the PSVR games that will receive patches to the PSVR2. Those games will be a lot more cost effective to new buyers, or folks may already have them in their library, plus many folks may have claimed them when Sony was giving away free PSVR games as a part of the stay at home initiative. After that is the possibility of some VR games making their way to PS+, providing a more cost effective option for folks to try different VR content.

So yeah, it's not really all that different than the PSVR launch was for us Canadians.
Ok fine. If you guys want to exclude as much as possible:

PSVR $750 CDN + 13% tax = $850 straight up with zero VR2 games, since you cant even play VR1 games unless they are updated to work. The bundles are $800+.

That's even more than PS5. It is important to add some game costs because with no games, the VR set is useless. At least with next gen systems, you dont even have to buy any new games since last gen games work. A gamer can live off their existing library with boosts. VR2 you cant unless the VR1 games are updated to work.

Last edited:

vivftp

PSVR $750 CDN + 13% tax = $850 straight up with zero VR2 games, since you cant even play VR1 games unless they are updated to work. The bundles are $800+.

That's even more than PS5. It is important to add some game costs because with no games, the VR set is useless. At least with next gen systems, you dont even have to buy any new games since last gen games work. A gamer can live off their existing library with boosts. VR2 you cant unless the VR1 games are updated to work.

And that's perfectly fine. There's no use in worrying about the PSVR back catalogue until we get official word on which games are being updated and which aren't. If that's a sticking point for some people then they can hold off on their orders until they find out.

As noted in the figures I posted, the PSVR bundle was $320 more than the PS4 slim at the time, approaching double the cost of the console itself which was $379. This concept of the VR headset costing more than the console itself isn't new, it's quite literally what happened the last time.

rofif

Banned
Don't forget the house/apartment you need to play your VR in, nobody likes to play outdoors. You're easily looking at 100.000+
I mean... he is correct. You won't get cheaper games on release.
Or you could pirate everything on pc? idk.

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member

Here's the bottom line man. And I said this earlier in the thread......

Let's stop with all the tax + games stuff. Those things have always been a part of the equation when buying new hardware.
PSVR was $500 with no games.
PSVR 2 is $550 with no games.
Simple. And I know CDN is higher. There's a reason for that.

This does not count inflation which makes the PSVR 2 even cheaper than its predecessor. Now you could make a slight argument for backwards compatibility, but I honestly don't think its gonna affect things that much.
I just simply do not get why everyone is mentally inflating the price to be bigger than what it is. I'm not trying to downplay the price but let's not exaggerate it either.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Complaining about missing backward compatibility is like complaining that the Neo Geo can't handle Atari VCS 2600 games.

PSVR1 graphics are abysmal while PSVR2 is the first console VR that will deliver an adequate experience.
Most of the announced lineup so far doesn't look any different from PSVR games.

SLB1904

Banned
Most of the announced lineup so far doesn't look any different from PSVR games.
You don't know what you talking about. Psvr1 games looked 3x better on a flat screen than on headset.
Oh, you were replying something about latency by bringing up foveated rendering which is irrelevant, so I thought you were trying to indicate that it has this feature to compensate for the lack of streaming feature.
Lol stop.

Last edited:

engstra

Tech seems like a big improvement to PSVR1, I'll have to take the word of people on here that are more knowledgeable that the price is fair (was more than I was hoping for though!). I'm a big fan of PSVR1 but have found myself struggling to have the energy to play due to the amount of setup required, having to change camera positions depending on sitting or standing etc. They seem to have addressed all of these issues to do with tracking, reducing number of cables and so on.

That said having been really hyped for this new headset for a long time and ready for it day 1, I don't think I am anymore. Sure it's a bit more expensive than I hoped for but the issue for me is the lineup of games. Not seeing those killer apps yet. RE8 will be great I'm sure but I've already played it. At the moment the lineup looks the same as what unfortunately it was on PSVR1, quite a lot of arena shooters and tech demos. It's disappointing when Sony has suggested that there would be more of a focus/strategy of regular games integrating VR modes into their full-length games.

Resenge

I'll have to take the word of people on here that are more knowledgeable that the price is fair
Adding eye tracking will have increased the value of the headset. Quick google shows Tobii Eye Tracker on amazon is £260 alone.

I assume Sony wont have paid that much but it just shows just that one upgrade is an expensive addition and PSVR2 is still not much more expensive than the OG PSVR at launch.

Meta Quest 2 pricing has spoiled some peoples POV on just how expensive VR headsets are these days I guess.

Last edited:
I just don't understand the surprise when comparing the PSVR2 to the Quest 2. The PSVR2 is far more advanced in literally every way other than its single wired cable. Hell the Quest 2's terrible FOV alone makes it a poor VR experience in comparison. To those complaining about the cable, how much more were you willing to pay for the PSVR2 to go wireless? Or are those complaining about the cable the same as those complaining about the price?

Boss Man

Personally I’m glad they went with the technology they did and am happy to pay the price they’re asking, but I do wonder if it’s too high for widespread adoption.

Having said that, how does PS5 + PSVR2 compare in value (price/quality) to the standalone VR headsets? A gaming PC in the same realm as a PS5 will cost the same as PS5 + PSVR2 combined, so that’s obviously the enthusiast option. Is the price difference between standalone VR and PS5 + PSVR2 worth it if you’re someone with no gaming equipment looking to try VR?

Last edited:
Top Bottom