• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 launches February 22, 2023, with pre-orders starting November 15 - $549.99

You can’t seem to follow the chain of replies it seems. Only reason I’m here is for the bullshit being spewed that PSVR 2 is coming to save VR.

I will trust Ben Lang’s word on god rays, founder of road to VR, over IGN who starts the conversation with “PSVR didn’t have screen door effect either!”

Wireless: Quest, Quest 2, Quest pro, HTC vive focus (many), PICO (many), upcoming Quest 3, Valve deckard, Vive XR, Arpara, many Pimax, TCL…

The VR industry has been built on hard criticism, we wouldn’t be where we are if we just had circle jerks echo chambers. I can find something to improve on any headsets, can you even name one for PSVR 2 or it’s the second coming of Christ?
You don’t have to trust Ben Lang since I tried it myself now, there’s no god rays. And yes it’s the second coming of Christ. I kid i kid, god rays are really not there so he must have had his headset on wrong. There is a mura effect that you’ll notice in very dark still standing images. And to be honest, that’s the only thing mentioned in reviews that seem to be true. I don’t see any ghosting as well, however, when I tried the headset today it updated first so maybe they fixed it from previous reviews.

Last edited:

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
Already noticed a few “if you have psvr2 then you must use these settings” posts on YT. Should follow their recs or is it corn?

Has anyone else got a green dead pixel, right eye only roughly at a 7 o clock position? Another user on Reddit said they had the exact same issue and I thought it was odd for pixels to fail in the same place? Reddit seems it have gone down completely so I can't follow up with the other user. If anyone has time, get a black background and close your left eye - see if you have a green speck.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
The VR industry has been built on hard criticism, we wouldn’t be where we are if we just had circle jerks echo chambers. I can find something to improve on any headsets, can you even name one for PSVR 2 or it’s the second coming of Christ?

No but it is the first consumer headset to feature eye tracking despite this being available in the business space for half a decade...

Literally no one else has attempted to put it in a headset despite the immediate and obvious advantages for UI and inventory management.

If PSVR2 can force other consumer level headsets to actually catch up I will be incredibly happy.

drezz

Worship GIF

Buggy Loop

No but it is the first consumer headset to feature eye tracking despite this being available in the business space for half a decade...

Literally no one else has attempted to put it in a headset despite the immediate and obvious advantages for UI and inventory management.

If PSVR2 can force other consumer level headsets to actually catch up I will be incredibly happy.

Me too! I mentioned in the Quest 3 leak thread that it’s disappointing they won’t have it. I’ll probably put my hopes on the Valve headset.

I'm done for the day. Played for 6 hours... GT7, REZ, Thumper, Village, Horizon Demo, Tetris. No nausea. I couldn't even do 1 hour in PSVR1. I feel like I could stay in there even longer to be honest, but I'm jet-lagged.

Overall, I'm very impressed. 9/10. I just wish the image was slightly sharper, but it's just such a leap forward from VR1, it's hard to complain.

Beechos

Just got a chance to set it up and try it out.
This is my first time time with VR. This is amazing! I tried Kayak. Couldn‘t make the Kayak move very far at first as I was trying to stop my sleeves getting wet lol.
I understand about the “blurriness” and screendoor. Once you’re in a game and get into it you just stop noticing. I had a whale of time and couldn’t stop laughing.

Tried Res Evil. Got a little shaky when moving around at first but that soon passed By the time I was out the tutorial. The first scene with Mia blew my mind. The sense of being there is amazing. We have a door in the room I’m using it in at exactly the same place as the door just over from the dinner table in that scene. When someone entered that door in the game I got real confused :) Started the game in earnest and was soon shrieking like a small child.

Loving psvr2 so far.
Ahh man dissappointed about the blurriness and the screen door affect still being there. I was hoping thr new tech would solve that.

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
Ahh man dissappointed about the blurriness and the screen door affect still being there. I was hoping thr new tech would solve that.
What I mean was despite being a novice I'm aware of the limitations, not that they hinder the experience. I may just have some jiggery pokery to do to reduce the "blur" further. My wife has never played VR and isn't aware of these potential issues and after 3 hours of playing she hasn't mentioned them once.

Beechos

What I mean was despite being a novice I'm aware of the limitations, not that they hinder the experience. I may just have some jiggery pokery to do to reduce the "blur" further. My wife has never played VR and isn't aware of these potential issues and after 3 hours of playing she hasn't mentioned them once.
Its cool. Im still waiting for mine to get delivered gonna give re8 a go 1st. Re7 to me was unplayable despite being in vr on psvr1 the picture quality was so bad. It was like playing something at 720p with how blurry it was.

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
Its cool. Im still waiting for mine to get delivered gonna give re8 a go 1st. Re7 to me was unplayable despite being in vr on psvr1 the picture quality was so bad. It was like playing something at 720p with how blurry it was.
I had a quick go on RE. The sense of presence in the opening scene is amazing. I was sat there thinking "There's a woman. Holding a baby. She's right there. Talking to me."

CyberChulo

I'm done for the day. Played for 6 hours... GT7, REZ, Thumper, Village, Horizon Demo, Tetris. No nausea. I couldn't even do 1 hour in PSVR1. I feel like I could stay in there even longer to be honest, but I'm jet-lagged.

Overall, I'm very impressed. 9/10. I just wish the image was slightly sharper, but it's just such a leap forward from VR1, it's hard to complain.
What controller are you supposed to use for Thumper? When I launched it, I got hit with an option to import my save. Only the Dual Sense controller worked. Then I got into the game, only the Sense X button worked but the sticks didn't for turning left or right. Tried to Dual Sense and nothing worked there either. Restarted the PS5 and same issue.

Crayon

There was very little screen door even on the first one. I'm not sure why.

Have you tried and og vive? It's like actually looking through a real screen door. Fine black grid over everything.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
My opinion on the hardware experience is not a positive one.

The plastic face gasket they have is fantastic at blocking out light bleed but makes the headset extremely uncomfortable for me to wear. The sides and bridge of my nose hurt within three minutes of having the headset on.

Personally I think they could have weighted the headset better so more of the weight rested toward the back of your head (the cable is the largest contributor to front weight it seems to me.

The VIVE focus 3, pico neo 4, quest pro, and varjo xr3 are all more comfortable to wear than this headset.

Hand tracking is a disappointment as well. Outside tracking (light houses) is king of the hill (but FAR more cumbersome to use) and the quest pro has the best non-tethered tracking I have ever used. The amount of tracking drops i have had in the first 30 minutes or so was a disappointment for me.

Software wise I cannot judge yet (two of the games were ruined by the tracking issues) will wait until I spend more time tonight to give some opinions on that front.

Controllers feel great in my large hands!

MVtlCTA.jpg

Crayon

The plastic face gasket they have is fantastic at blocking out light bleed but makes the headset extremely uncomfortable for me to wear. The sides and bridge of my nose hurt within three minutes of having the headset on.

Personally I think they could have weighted the headset better so more of the weight rested toward the back of your head (the cable is the largest contributor to front weight it seems to me.

The VIVE focus 3, pico neo 4, quest pro, and varjo xr3 are all more comfortable to wear than this headset.

Hand tracking is a disappointment as well. Outside tracking (light houses) is king of the hill (but FAR more cumbersome to use) and the quest pro has the best non-tethered tracking I have ever used. The amount of tracking drops i have had in the first 30 minutes or so was a disappointment for me.

Software wise I cannot judge yet (two of the games were ruined by the tracking issues) will wait until I spend more time tonight to give some opinions on that front.

MVtlCTA.jpg

That's weird about the light shroud/gasket. The thing barely touches your face. There is no weight on your face at all. Those other headsets litterally clamp to your face to hold them up.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
That's weird about the light shroud/gasket. The thing barely touches your face. There is no weight on your face at all. Those other headsets litterally clamp to your face to hold them up.
They most certainly do not clamp on your face, the varjo feels like you are wearing a cloud (albeit a $10,000 cloud…but a cloud none the less). To me each of the other headsets i mentioned feel superior to the PSVR 2 in terms of comfort…they are also premium in cost (each being more expensive than the psvr2) so they probably should.

Last edited:
Sounds like you haven't set it up properly, not seeing any screen door, and the blurry? Far less than any headset I've used.
Hmm I don't think it's blurry but the screen door effect is very noticeable to me at least. Like a sharp image with a layer of fine grit in front of it. It's not nearly as bad as with PSVR1, where it was massive but yeah.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So screen door is just like you can see the fuzzy pixels in the screen? It still had that?

I was hoping tech would have moved on, but I'm still in to get one for cheaper down the line. Enjoying all the posts from peeps. Enjoy.

Schmick

Is there an option to swap the lenses for prescription lenses? So i dont have to wear glasses.

Last edited:
I was starting to get worried when I saw a few comments about it being blurry, but it looks great to me. Had to adjust the eye distance a little, though. Coming from a week of playing PSVR1 (mopping up that backlog once and for all), the difference in quality is truly palpable.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Is there an option to swap the lenses for prescription lenses? So i dont have to wear glasses.

These usually come eventually. Keep an eye out on a few VR prescription lens suppliers.

They don’t replace the fresnel lenses, they clip over with magnets typically or the frame around the lens will clip to the device.

Do you have an iPhone x or newer? the only time the tracking went wonky on mine I noticed flashes coming from my face ID camera and it literally spits out a load of IR randomly and the IR sensor definitely didn't like it, put your phone face down and it should work better

Crayon

Hmm I wonder when I'm giong to leave work tonite. Could be two hours, could be three. I'm usuallyy not that concerned about that....

My pulleys and vr booties just showed up from amazon though.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member

Back to correct my ignorance from my first post!

Ok, so I apparently skipped the entire VR set up mode when I plugged in my headset, don’t know how, but I just plugged my headset in, fumbled around with the controllers for a bit, and jumped right into RE8/VR mode.

I went back, completed the VR setup and adjusted my IPD setting (which I completely neglected the first time). This solved ALL of my face comfort issues since I was able to drastically loosen the head band. headset feels great now.

Tracking is still a problem though. I am having a lot less problems now but I ended up setting up 4 elgato Keylights in my main room and flooding the area with light, a much better experience.

Software wise, it is a mixed bag. RE8 is ok, Horizon is less impressive to me, but I really like Tetris connected and Thumper (but I liked them both on PSVR1).

MAJOR GRIPE INCOMING: The S T U P I D “PSVR2 controller dock” I thought was fantastic…until I realized that it doesn’t have magnets in it at all and placing the controllers in the stand for charging is extremely finick. Buyer beware…better yet don’t buy it at all. They charger seems very slow (when it does charge) and fumbling around with properly aligning the controllers is just a pain. I expected it to work like the controller Dual Sense dock for PS5 where the controllers make a nice “CHUNK” sound and pop into place. Not with this thing…also you need to add little usb c dongles to the bottom of your controllers to charge with this accessory. Currently I am leaning toward returning the charging stand its that bad.

Back to correct my ignorance from my first post!

Ok, so I apparently skipped the entire VR set up mode when I plugged in my headset, don’t know how, but I just plugged my headset in, fumbled around with the controllers for a bit, and jumped right into RE8/VR mode.

I went back, completed the VR setup and adjusted my IPD setting (which I completely neglected the first time). This solved ALL of my face comfort issues since I was able to drastically loosen the head band. headset feels great now.

Tracking is still a problem though. I am having a lot less problems now but I ended up setting up 4 elgato Keylights in my main room and flooding the area with light, a much better experience.

Software wise, it is a mixed bag. RE8 is ok, Horizon is less impressive to me, but I really like Tetris connected and Thumper (but I liked them both on PSVR1).

MAJOR GRIPE INCOMING: The S T U P I D “PSVR2 controller dock” I thought was fantastic…until I realized that it doesn’t have magnets in it at all and placing the controllers in the stand for charging is extremely finick. Buyer beware…better yet don’t buy it at all. They charger seems very slow (when it does charge) and fumbling around with properly aligning the controllers is just a pain. I expected it to work like the controller Dual Sense dock for PS5 where the controllers make a nice “CHUNK” sound and pop into place. Not with this thing…also you need to add little usb c dongles to the bottom of your controllers to charge with this accessory. Currently I am leaning toward returning the charging stand its that bad.
The charger ain't great but you'll get used to it I think. And once you do, it'll be indispensable. Imagine trying to charge those things without it

Top Bottom