• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Chaps how in the hell did youse get past the RE4 section where you cross the wooden bridge and enter a 2 storey barn with some NPC dude and then face an onslaught of villagers and then a bullshead bastard, I've given up on this game as I can't get past this level, I simply run out of bullets, my knife breaks and then I'm expected to fight off bullshead and even more villagers, I end up absolutely swamped on all sides, any tips??
Git gud. Lol, kidding.

I honestly can't remember, I do know I died there a number of times but I eventually got it. Block the windows, utilize the flash bangs for the parasite enemies. Keep moving and try to avoid being stuck in corners. The knife is OP as shit too with parrying, the timing is so forgiving. Try implementing that if you haven't been.

bumpkin

Chaps how in the hell did youse get past the RE4 section where you cross the wooden bridge and enter a 2 storey barn with some NPC dude and then face an onslaught of villagers and then a bullshead bastard, I've given up on this game as I can't get past this level, I simply run out of bullets, my knife breaks and then I'm expected to fight off bullshead and even more villagers, I end up absolutely swamped on all sides, any tips??
I’m playing the game on easy, but my go-to tactics for that section was to keep moving, setup melee attacks whenever you can (since they launch enemies into one another), funnel enemies on the stairs for shotgun blasts, and don’t be afraid to try and coax enemies together and use grenades (or flash grenades if they’re exposed plagas).

Last edited:

SilentUser

I thought my Gaf days were over but to my surprise, I received an email about my Gold account renewing, lol. Oops.

This is good though because I can't find anywhere that has a good PSVR2 game discussion. I missed you guys.

PanzerCute PanzerCute , I'm loving Soul Covenant as well. I have to get back to work but I'll definitely share some thoughts tonight.

SilentUser SilentUser , nice seeing you buddy.
Its nice to have you back here!

fart town usa

Gold Member
Alright, I've been dying to talk about Soul Covenant so here goes.

I never played Soul Sacrifice and wasn't aware of it until the other week. Watching videos on YouTube tells me it's pretty similar when it comes to narrative structure and missions. Soul Sacrifice looks like it has infinitely more options when it comes to combat variety though.

In Covenant you eventually get 4 weapons and each has 2 modes. You also can jump, boost/dodge, and use a shield. There is a 'perfect guard' with this shield, timing is similar to parry mechanic though it doesn't function like a parry.

There are 6 Memories (chapters) and 4 sections within each Memory. Within these sections are 3 sub-sections, Narrative/Combat/Narrative. There's also a trove of lore files that unlock as you progress.

Combat missions are generally less than 5 minutes long and involve fighting trash mobs, then eventually a boss.

I can absolutely see why some people won't like this game. It is repetitive and the combat is pretty easy during your first playthrough. The reason I keep playing it is because I simply find it to be a really fun experience. The game looks great in the headset, the OST is fantastic, the story is engaging but it is somewhat obtuse. You really have to focus in on what the characters are saying, as well as understand the dynamics between the soldiers and the universe the game takes place in. Lots of reviews are knocking the story, it's fine if you don't like it but it's not inherently bad. I don't watch anime but I love turbo Japan stuff and this game just hits for me.

Combat is really interesting to me because the movement is pretty damn slow. To me it feels like you're in waist high water, it's indeed sluggish and I am always spamming the boost/dodge. However, I enjoy how hamstrung the movement is because I think it creates a balance in combat. I always feel strong but the enemies are faster than me, it creates a real sense of urgency when I'm moving around. I also really enjoy the perfect guard because you have to put yourself in harm's way to pull it off and bosses can one-shot you. Nice risk/reward. When a perfect guard is successful, your special meter fills up faster and that in turn allows you to fire your demon cannon more often.

That's really all it is. It's basic as can be but I think it's great. Yes it's "waggle" but so is Skyrim VR and that was always fun. The waggle to me is the equivalent of hitting an attack button on a flat game. It's not physics based combat so what else do people expect? Either waggle or press square, it's the same gameplay mechanic to me. I honestly don't even really notice the waggle because I'm constantly taking my movement speed into account and trying to get perfect guards, etc. As easy as the combat is, I'm always thinking and trying to maximize my damage output. I hear the Ex missions are quite brutal and require coop to beat. There's a guy on the discord who successfully finished the first two missions and the co-founder of the studio replied with, "OMG". That guy is stuck on the 3rd mission though and everyone in the discord was shocked when he showed a screenshot of him successfully completing the 2 missions solo. Unfortunately the servers are jacked up and you can't find lobbies. Someone had luck with directly linking up with a buddy on Quest 3 but I don't know anyone with a PSVR2 who owns this game so I haven't been able to try. PSVR2 version unfortunately isn't cross platform.

Leveling up your weapons and avatar is easy enough. The game is grindy but it rewards you. It's so damn easy to level up.

Here's 3 combat missions edited together to give an idea of how I approach the game. It will probably look boring but it's honestly incredibly fun to me.

Yasunori Mitsua (Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross/Shadow Hearts/Xenogears, etc)

When all is said and done, and I look at what Soul Covenant is, I honestly think it's fucking awesome. I don't like to get hung up on what is lacking in games, there's a lot of things I wish were in the game but they aren't so it's like whatever. However, I do wish there was a 'Replay Mission' option at the end of a combat mission, having to go through the menus and loading is just dumb considering how quickly you can complete a combat mission. I also wish there was an infinite mode though the Ex missions will likely satisfy my hunger for more combat. The combat is seriously fun as hell to me, the visuals, the music, NPCs calling out things. It's such a cool VR experience and there is one moment in particular that will probably make people motion sick or terrified, lol. I've played that particular boss on repeat because it's one of the those VR experiences when you feel the sensation of what your avatar is going through and it's just so damn cool.

I still have a handful of missions left to do but have just been fighting my favorite bosses and leveling up the gear as high as I can get it. You can't fully max out gear until you complete Ex missions and get even rarer items. Items are easy to obtain though, it shows in the HUB what items are in each mission and as long as you get an S-Rank, you'll earn all available upgrade items.

Do I recommend that everyone play it? No. However, if it looks interesting to you and you're OK with that style of gameplay loop, you'll probably really enjoy it.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Finished Soul Covenant last night.

Really satisfying experience. Definitely limited if not a bit too shallow but I honestly get the impression that the devs were aiming for a balance that allowed newcomers to enjoy. Reading various comments online from Japanese players talking about getting used the how jumping feels in VR...I think that is often lost when it comes to the type of games that VR gets.

Some people are so insanely sensitive to motion sickness. Me personally, give me all the jumping. That's one of the main reasons I love Foglands so much because the jumping is legit the best I have ever experienced in VR, it's so quick and maneuverable.

But yea, with Soul Covenant I really enjoyed myself. I really hope the servers get fixed soon so I can coop and I hope there are some updates that add more content or streamline replaying missions rather than being dumped into the hub whenever you're done with one. There really should be an infinite mode. There's really no option to stay in combat for an extended period due to how quickly the missions are completed.

Took me 10 hours to finish the campaign and I had everything leveled up to 30. Level 40 is the max for avatar stats and weapons but the items required can only be unlocked through the Ex missions which aren't designed for Solo. My 10 hours wasn't padded either, just took the game at a nice pace and would grind here and there for items.

A solid game for me considering what it is and I absolutely plan on playing it more whether it be solo or coop. The presentation/OST simply hits for me and I enjoy the combat.

Top Bottom