• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Have you ever played VR? Have you ever played a racing game in VR?

VR & GT7 are made for each other. If you don't get motion sickness, you should absolutely buy one!

I spent a fair amount of time with the original PS VR on different games while never owning the device myself. It was definitely an awe inspiring experience although it lacks processing power. I did not play any racing games. There have been moments of motion sickness for me but these ususally came from me, moving my body inacordingly to what would happen in the game itself and in some occasions i got used to it after a while.

There is not a single doubt in me that i wouldn't enjoy the hell out of GT7 in VR given how much i play it already.

However the fact that i'm so much slower while playing in cockpit view makes it insufficient in competitive races for me. In addition i don't have a wheel and i think this should be a given to get the most out of it. There are also not enough games outside of GT7 that appeal to me and would justify the purchase. I'm very interested in it but for now it seems that i will wait a bit and see how things pan out.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
9j0CYhS.jpg

Please be tuesday

Kirkio

I've basically had a kid free weekend, house to myself so the perfect opportunity to fly on a broom and grow some herbs, yet I haven't been able to bring myself to because I just wanna try everything in the headset... I am off all next week though (I really hope mine arrives on release day)

Crayon

I'm looking for tips on how to set up pulleys. I was a little dismayed to see this messy recommendation everywhere:

p21waa39sqi41.png

So I'm just sharing what I've found so far. I've just started looking into this.

So the three in a triangle are installed far enough on to stretch and put tension on all three pulleys. Then the final pulley is hooked into the center of that. The idea is that the center pulley can now slide around in the triangle, as the others cancel some of each other's tension.

I didn't like that because I am not planning to leave these hooked up. I was planning on just having two little sticky hooks up when I am not using this. I didn't like the idea of hanging 4 every time, 3 of which being part of a tangle.

So looking into this more, I've found that while this technique does work, it is a very crude execution of the concept. A full version would be a firm track with rollers. Using the pulleys for this is inefficient. Still makes a big improvement... if you have a lot of room to move.

If. Looking at my play space, this would be a waste. I can go a step forward or back, or two side to side. I can have a single pulley overhead, and any sense of it being not straight overhead would mean I was already going too far anyhow. So I can just stick two hooks and not fuss. That's good, because it was that simplicity that made me willing to try pulleys in the first place.

From what I've seen, the triangle setup does look good for those with a lot of room though. Looking again, I did see another system that had the pulleys and a couple pieces of track to get a lot more effectiveness than the triangle using the same concept. That looked good for a dedicated vr room.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'm looking for tips on how to set up pulleys. I was a little dismayed to see this messy recommendation everywhere:

p21waa39sqi41.png

So I'm just sharing what I've found so far. I've just started looking into this.

So the three in a triangle are installed far enough on to stretch and put tension on all three pulleys. Then the final pulley is hooked into the center of that. The idea is that the center pulley can now slide around in the triangle, as the others cancel some of each other's tension.

I didn't like that because I am not planning to leave these hooked up. I was planning on just having two little sticky hooks up when I am not using this. I didn't like the idea of hanging 4 every time, 3 of which being part of a tangle.

So looking into this more, I've found that while this technique does work, it is a very crude execution of the concept. A full version would be a firm track with rollers. Using the pulleys for this is inefficient. Still makes a big improvement... if you have a lot of room to move.

If. Looking at my play space, this would be a waste. I can go a step forward or back, or two side to side. I can have a single pulley overhead, and any sense of it being not straight overhead would mean I was already going too far anyhow. So I can just stick two hooks and not fuss. That's good, because it was that simplicity that made me willing to try pulleys in the first place.

From what I've seen, the triangle setup does look good for those with a lot of room though. Looking again, I did see another system that had the pulleys and a couple pieces of track to get a lot more effectiveness than the triangle using the same concept. That looked good for a dedicated vr room.
I've never set up pulleys or hooks myself, but I know some people have used tall stand instead. Kinda like those lamps that are tall and hang over things wit the lamp being offset by a curved section.

Ar¢tos

A bunch of ps4 VR games (and some with optional VR modes) shows up on my library today. If I open the product page they have prices, but I can download them and play them anyway.
What is Sony doing?

Last edited:

Freeman76

PSVR2 can do foveated rendering: https://www.trustedreviews.com/explainer/what-is-foveated-rendering-4294124

So my guess is it will probably render at low resolution, but where your eyes are looking it will be very crisp - and it's 120hz, so way better feeling with the track.

So its not actually 4k visuals but looks a lot better than the previous one for sure.

Another thing I never understood with the first VR, was Skyrim being entirely playable in VR why arent other full length games adapted? Most of the games I had on it were more like tech demos. Imagine RDR2 or Hogwarts in VR with 4k visuals, I mean that would just be next level shit!

Crayon

I've never set up pulleys or hooks myself, but I know some people have used tall stand instead. Kinda like those lamps that are tall and hang over things wit the lamp being offset by a curved section.

I saw one of those. Looks like it would work but that's not for me. Big eyesore and I'm not even that picky about that sort of thing. I can live with two little sticky hooks on the ceiling tho.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
So its not actually 4k visuals but looks a lot better than the previous one for sure.

Another thing I never understood with the first VR, was Skyrim being entirely playable in VR why arent other full length games adapted? Most of the games I had on it were more like tech demos. Imagine RDR2 or Hogwarts in VR with 4k visuals, I mean that would just be next level shit!
Going by what a Pavlov developer is stating, PSVR2 foveated rendering can produce better/faster visuals than a 3090Ti: https://in.ign.com/playstation-vr-2...nvidia-3090ti-gpu-ps-plus-subscribers-can-now

I bet if PSVR2 would be compatible with PC and they optimized Pavlov for it - it would beat PS5+PSVR2 - but will probably not happen.

Raonak

Banned
BTW, for those wondering, the reason why Astrobot Rescue Mission hasn't been ported, is because it requires the Dualshock4 due to the lightbar.
PSVR2 does not track a dualshock/dualsense controller it only tracks the new sense controllers.

meaning they're probably just making an astrobot 2 rather than revamping the original to work.

Crayon

Your questions are related. If they want to do 4k right where your pupils are pointing, they can do that. Most of the display will be much lower. Other settings could be lower, too. So is it 4k or is it not? Tough to say, really. The gaze area could be 4k but that doesn't necessarily say much about the real performance because it's just a small patch of the display.

Skyrim VR was a whole game port partially because it was a last gen game. In psvr, it looks about PS3 grade. The PS4 had enough juice to power through that with two images 60fps and make the whole game in VR without too much work.

That's an example of how the same game in VR takes a generational performance hit. Even though you get the full game, you still get this big compromise where if you just played the regular ps4 version everything would look way better. Bummer that you can't have both and makes the VR version less appealing than it otherwise would be. Imagine how big the downgrade would be if you tried to VR mod a game that wasn't already a generation behind. Check out what GT sport looks like in VR. Worse than gt5 on PS3.

With the etfr, we can see that's not a problem anymore. It's right there. Gt7 and re8 look like they've been brought over complete and the graphics are for the most part untouched.

There's a reason potato mods exist. AAA game settings do not go so far down that your rdr2 looks like a PS2 game. Potato mods show that it can be done, but at some point, makers do not want the game to be out there in that form. Some are going to be okay making a dumpy version of the game, but some are not and that would put them off making a VR version.

So the THEORY here is that now that there's no sizable hit in your graphics when you mod the game to VR, more big games will be interested in including a full VR mode. It'll be easier because you don't need to rebalance all the graphics for some really low target, and it won't get into a realm where it's looking so ugly they don't want to promote it. Hopefully that works out. Can't hurt, at least.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Your questions are related. If they want to do 4k right where your in pupils are pointing, they can do that. Most of the display will be much lower. Other settings could be lower, too. So is it 4k or is it not? Tough to say, really. The gaze area could be 4k but that doesn't necessarily say much about the real performance because it's just a small patch of try ye display.

Skyrim VR was a whole game port partially because it was a last gen game. In psvr, it looks about PS3 grade. The PS4 had enough juice to power through that with two images 60fps and make the whole game in VR without too much work.

That's an example of how the same game in VR takes a generational performance hit. Even though you get the full game, you still get this big compromise where if you just played the regular ps4 version everything would look way better. Bummer that you can't have both and makes the VR version less appealing than it otherwise would be. Imagine how big the downgrade would be if you tried to VR mod a game that wasn't already a generation behind. Check out what GT sport looks like in VR. Worse than gt5 on PS3.

With the etfr, we can see that's not a problem anymore. It's right there. Gt7 and re8 look like they've been brought over complete and the graphics are for the most part untouched.

There's a reason potato mods exist. AAA game settings do not go so far down that your rdr2 looks like a PS2 game. Potato mods show that it can be done, but at some point, makers do not want the game to be out there in that form. Some are going to be okay making a dumpy version of the game, but some are not and that would put them off making a VR version.

So the THEORY here is that now that there's no sizable hit in your graphics when you mod the game to VR, more big games will be interested in including a full VR mode. It'll be easier because you don't need to rebalance all the graphics for this really low target, and it won't get into a realm where it's looking so ugly they don't want to promote it. Hopefully that works out. Can't hurt, at least.

Thank you for the explanation, makes total sense now

consoul

Apart from the benefits of eye-tracking for foveated rendering, I can't help but wonder how it could be used in a psychological horror game to deliberately mess with your peripheral vision.

Imagine seeing disturbing things in your periphery, but as soon as you look at them, they're just normal things. That'd be an interesting experience that eye-tracking could enable.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance

RDR2 already has a nice 1st person mode so Rockstar definitely considered the world’s fidelity up close. Changing the game’s systems to work in a VR space takes quite a bit of work though.

Apart from the benefits of eye-tracking for foveated rendering, I can't help but wonder how it could be used in a psychological horror game to deliberately mess with your peripheral vision.

Imagine seeing disturbing things in your periphery, but as soon as you look at them, they're just normal things. That'd be an interesting experience that eye-tracking could enable.
Check this out.

Don't blink

R6Rider

Gold Member

Switchback (coming in March) already uses the eye-tracking for enemies that move when you blink.

I can't wait to see what developers come up with.

EDIT: Beaten to it

Last edited:

Romulus

I spent a fair amount of time with the original PS VR on different games while never owning the device myself. It was definitely an awe inspiring experience although it lacks processing power. I did not play any racing games. There have been moments of motion sickness for me but these ususally came from me, moving my body inacordingly to what would happen in the game itself and in some occasions i got used to it after a while.

There is not a single doubt in me that i wouldn't enjoy the hell out of GT7 in VR given how much i play it already.

However the fact that i'm so much slower while playing in cockpit view makes it insufficient in competitive races for me. In addition i don't have a wheel and i think this should be a given to get the most out of it. There are also not enough games outside of GT7 that appeal to me and would justify the purchase. I'm very interested in it but for now it seems that i will wait a bit and see how things pan out.

I was instantly faster in Wipeout VR. I crushed my lap times in flat-screen mode within minutes. Dirt Rally was the same. Depth perception is a huge advantage.

SLB1904

Banned
I was instantly faster in Wipeout VR. I crushed my lap times in flat-screen mode within minutes. Dirt Rally was the same. Depth perception is a huge advantage.
Yep I remember playing gts and was easier to hit the apex. But it was such a small mode that I didn't bother much

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Switchback VR is already doing that. And that game comes out in March 19th I think.

Raonak

Banned
Time feels frozen. Fortunately TLoU is on tonight and maybe that will distract me. This level of hype is honestly embarrassing. Last time I checked I was an adult.

Yep... I'm sitting here at work listening to countless PSVR review videos to keep me sane.

Start playing horizon2 again after seein the call of the mountain reviews. Enjoying it a lot more now now that my open world fatigue has died down a bit.

Gamerguy84

Looking forward to several advances in tech here. But most of all the foveated rendering with eye tracking. And the forced feedback and haptic triggers.

There is fixed foveated which is straight on but this applies it where you look, faster than your eye can focus, which is awesome. The clarity and res will be amazing everywhere you look and you won't catch it happening.

I don't know this is just a major jump from PSVR1 in every way, and with VR in general.

Last edited:
Yeah I've played it on PSVR1. But I think that video isn't the actual PSVR2 version. That channel does that a lot and is clickbaity.

That being said it's a great game, and is supposed to be coming to PSVR2.

I hear this game would have been a lot better without the issues of the tracking/controllers

Is this true?

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I was instantly faster in Wipeout VR. I crushed my lap times in flat-screen mode within minutes. Depth perception is a huge advantage.
Well if they'd patch it in they would get my money since i love Wipeout.

Interesting argument but I'm still unsure if the perception of depth through VR in a racing game would make a significant difference in comparison to my lap times without VR.

Crayon

I feel like I should have got the no-game bundle and skipped horizon. I want to see the game but there's at least 3 other games I would have spent that $50 on first if I could do it again. I was not sure about horizon but I was like fuck it I want a showcase game. But it looks like gt7 and re8 serve just fine as showcases and I already have them. Then NMS gets upgraded.

I would be happier right now if I saved that $50! To think I could have just bought this game and already had all the games I need for awhile. Oh well. One more pretty game. Or who knows, I might really like it.

But deep down, i know I was spending 550usd and said "what the hell, make it 600". I don't like doing that...

cormack12

Gold Member
So what are the must haves. I'm trying to keep it to three games as a showcase to start with, getting

Call of the mountain
Then maybe the airplane combat game
And then idk, analog? Is that an fps?

Gamerguy84

Still butthurt, eh?

Just FYI, Sean Murray has posted single emoji tweet before every significant new patch. If he did again recently you can bank on getting an update to the game.
On the PS store under the VR2 category NMS is already a listing to purchase. Mine already says purchased because I have it.

Guys with the PS app on your mobile just check out the store. Already has a VR2 section and games. I'm 100% sure it's not complete and final yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom