• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Ar¢tos

Scale is tripping you out. Idk if it's hard to get right or if developers mess with it for a reason. It's more often too small than too big.

Me in skyrim vr: "I guess we're all 4 feet tall and I'm okay with that."

I feel like it's a little on the small side in RE8. In GT7 is hard to tell. Might be a bit small, might be right on. There's no way to know for sure, of course.
Just think it is a greyer LOTR and you are playing a hobbit character.

Markio128

I wish so much Synth Riders had some sort of scoring system, or meta game. I guess it's nice it doesn't in a way, but for me I like rhythm games like THEATRHYTHM FINAL BAR LINE where you get some sort of score based on the amount of notes you got perfect/good/bad/miss, then it gives me a goal to hit, like all SSS on normal, all SS on hard, etc. I'm a little confused with Synth Riders because it doesn't appear to separate you scores by difficulty, so my Easy attempt got more points than my Normal attempt, yet I can't see what I scored on Normal to aim higher for next try, as it only shows my Easy score. Just feels like the record keeping/data keeping is really at a bare minimum level. Oh well! It's still fun, and I guess I can find a new way to make goals without any song ratings or single player content to play.
There are ratings, as in Awesome, Outstanding and Perfect. As you know, it tells you after each song how many poor, good and perfect hits you got altogether.

It is possible to get a higher score on easy because you are less likely to miss a note and lose your multiplier, however, with practice, better scores will be achieved on higher difficulties, purely because there are more notes/orbs to hit.

Last edited:

SilentUser

Demo for C-Smash got to put my hand thru the ceiling... and then immediately preorder the game.

Multiplayer worked flawlessly for me. Just wish I would have known to hold the R trigger to bring the ball to me, instead of jumping like a maniac to hit an overhead.

It's really good guys.
I played it a little bit today. Had an absolute BLAST! Graphics are simple yet effective, tracking was perfect and the gameplay is addictive. I recommend everyone to try the demo, just watch out to no hit anything irl lol

Markio128

I played it a little bit today. Had an absolute BLAST! Graphics are simple yet effective, tracking was perfect and the gameplay is addictive. I recommend everyone to try the demo, just watch out to no hit anything irl lol
Can you play with a temp standing setup, or does it require 2m x 2m to play?

SilentUser

So after a few weeks now, what is everybody’s fave PSVR 2 game?
I’m going to go with 3 for the following reasons:

1. Fave sitting game - Moss - It could be S&S, but I haven’t finished it yet.
2. Fave standing game - Synth Riders - just pipped Pistol Whip for me in terms of time played, but I love both.
3. GT7 with a wheel. The best overall experience in VR for me.
Hmm that's hard, but I would say something like this:
1. Demeo: oh my, I can't stop praising it to the roof! Such an outstanding title to play with friends (I'm a big fan of coop). Also, it is gorgeous and makes great use of the PSVR2 screen;
2. Resident Evil Village: makes me wish for all (or almost) flatscreen games to become hybrid. The VR brings a whole new level of immersion, I got truly tense in some moments of the game;
3. The Light Brigade: it is a short, but fun title
The gun play is pretty nice and they have made great improvements to the graphics and tracking.

But there are so many great games already... Walking Dead, Puzzling Places and many others. As I always say, I'm pretty happy with what me got already and really excited for the future of the platform.

Markio128

Hmm that's hard, but I would say something like this:
1. Demeo: oh my, I can't stop praising it to the roof! Such an outstanding title to play with friends (I'm a big fan of coop). Also, it is gorgeous and makes great use of the PSVR2 screen;
2. Resident Evil Village: makes me wish for all (or almost) flatscreen games to become hybrid. The VR brings a whole new level of immersion, I got truly tense in some moments of the game;
3. The Light Brigade: it is a short, but fun title
The gun play is pretty nice and they have made great improvements to the graphics and tracking.

But there are so many great games already... Walking Dead, Puzzling Places and many others. As I always say, I'm pretty happy with what me got already and really excited for the future of the platform.
I think It’s testament to the lineup that people have such varied favourites.
Demeo is one of the games I’m going to pick up next month.

PanzerCute

Stupid question but how do you trigger the Ball to move in practice mode in Csmash? I might be a retard on this, but for the life of me I pushed every button and nothing worked, that ball just didnt want to move.

Tried the game for 2 minutes tho, between two clients meetings (remote ftw)

Last edited:

SilentUser

Stupid question but how do you trigger the Ball to move in practice mode in Csmash? I might be a retard on this, but for the life of me I pushed every button and nothing worked, that ball just didnt want to move.

Tried the game for 2 minutes tho, between two clients meetings (remote ftw)
If I remember correctly, press and hold the L2 while aiming at the ball with your left hand.

SilentUser

I think It’s testament to the lineup that people have such varied favourites.
Demeo is one of the games I’m going to pick up next month.
My good man, you are in for a good time with you are going to play with your friends. It is such a chill experience, yet challenging. We always discuss about our next steps in the game, we have to strategize to not see ourselves in a dire situation 😅

gunstarhero

Can you play with a temp standing setup, or does it require 2m x 2m to play?
You can actually use the left analog stick to move left/right, so the only real room you need is enough space to swing your arms.

You’ll instinctively want to run left and right, but it didn’t take me more than a couple of matches to rely solely on the stick for body movement.

Vertical height is definitely more important imo - i found it hard to stop myself from wanted to swing high for overheads. (i have low ceilings). But apparently squeezing the right trigger to vacuum the ball down to you will work.

scydrex

Ok thank you. I was hammering my buttons thinking something was broken.

Which confirms I am indeed a retard on this :D
You have yo hold the L2 and pull the ball with the controller to you. Then appears lines which tell you how much force the ball will have when it comes to you and release the L2.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I like Pavlov, but I’m a little nervous about going online because I suck big time when it comes to the controls.
I was horrible at the start when it comes to the controls, but quickly got used to them. I still occasionally press the grip button instead of circle to drop a magazine though. Overall though the online is wacky and fun so I never care about how well I actually do in a match.

Markio128

I was horrible at the start when it comes to the controls, but quickly got used to them. I still occasionally press the grip button instead of circle to drop a magazine though. Overall though the online is wacky and fun so I never care about how well I actually do in a match.
I’ll man up and give it a try this weekend. I’ll defo have a refresher in the shooting range first though 😂

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You have yo hold the L2 and pull the ball with the controller to you. Then appears lines which tell you how much force the ball will have when it comes to you and release the L2.
Demo for C-Smash got to put my hand thru the ceiling... and then immediately preorder the game.

Multiplayer worked flawlessly for me. Just wish I would have known to hold the R trigger to bring the ball to me, instead of jumping like a maniac to hit an overhead.

It's really good guys.
Sounds like they adopted the racket magnetism from Racket: Nx like I thought they should :D
I hope this adaptation does the premise justice, they need to figure out a good way to incorporate skillful high level gameplay when you can't be jumping and diving around like your character can in the original. I'm thinking it could be similar to Racket: Nx which is a great puzzle action game.

Last edited:

SilentUser

You can actually use the left analog stick to move left/right, so the only real room you need is enough space to swing your arms.

You’ll instinctively want to run left and right, but it didn’t take me more than a couple of matches to rely solely on the stick for body movement.

Vertical height is definitely more important imo - i found it hard to stop myself from wanted to swing high for overheads. (i have low ceilings). But apparently squeezing the right trigger to vacuum the ball down to you will work.
I was going to say the same about the first paragraph, but I realized that after a few minutes I was actually using less and less the analogues and moving myself in real life lol. That's why I said space is a necessity in my post, I naturally started moving myself while playing and getting more and more absorbed by the game.

PanzerCute

2. Fave standing game - Synth Riders - just pipped Pistol Whip for me in terms of time played, but I love both.
Really hard for me as I love almost all my games, for different reasons. Have a Tier list instead :D

S-tier:
GT7: Do I need to explain why?
RE8: great game in flat, terrifying and awe-inspiring experience in VR
Moss 1&2: visuals, mechanics, aesthetics, etc... this game does everything right.
Tetris Effect: this is a piece of art, period. I live in Paris and I've done dozens of hipster art exhibition about light and sound, and nothing impressed me more than the theater mode in this game. Smoke a joint, relax, launch that mode and get ready to travel in another dimension. (damn that sounds cringe AF)
Rez Infinite: FEAR IS THE MIND KILLER. Intemporal masterpiece.

A Tier :
Horizon: great introductory game to VR, great climbing (first climbing game in VR for me, so that felt really "fresh" and immersive to me)
After The Fall : Left4Dead game design + House of the Dead level of gory fun? Well, yes !?
Thumper: that game hates you. That game really hates you... And I fucking love it. (yes I'm weird... I'm French)
Puzzling Places: Downloaded the demo for my girlfriend, and was instantly blown away. Great game to play from time to time, amazing concept.
The Light Brigade: great gameplay, great game design, awesome atmosphere and a game that promises to evolve a ton in the coming months. Already spent 20H on it and I know I will play dozen and dozen of hours more. Might become S-TIer if they add great content.
Townsmen: Black and White in VR with a 15-20h campaign? Absolute no brainer for me, and it plays really well!

Regret Tier :
KayakVR: I'm terrible at this game, it makes me feel dizzy (and I have no problem with motion sickness anymore), and it seems like an "experience" more than a game. I wanted this to be a nice showcase for VR to my friends, but no one is interested to try it and it will make them sick anyway so...
Pavlov: great game, surely, but it's impossible to play seated (my bad, I should have known) and there are no ranked or "main" mode, which is quite a flaw for a competitive FPS like this one (imo). Browsing lobbies with what looks like an excel sheet to get into a game? Too lazy for that, sorry.

Unrated:
Saints and Sinners (only played 1h)
Tentacular (only played a few levels with the lady, I like it tho, really charming)
No Man Sky: please patch the terrible IQ, thanks!

Nobody talks about Cosmonious High but it is such a fun and pretty game I highly recommend. It's quite kiddy but graphics look beautiful on the oled screen. Super colorful and vibrant and the gameplay mechanics are super fun as you use your hand to splash water, ice and other powers.

MastAndo

One of the most understated positives of the PSVR2 is that it just works. PCVR is great and all, but boy, the amount of tinkering that goes into getting some of these more demanding titles to run well has been a real eye-opener. I know that's the nature of PC gaming, but it seems amplified tenfold when you throw a headset and VR tools into the mix. Unless you have got an absolute monster rig, or are totally content with settling for performance over visual quality at all costs, you've got some work to do.

You want to compare lenses, game catalog, wired/wireless, etc, but there's a huge advantage to getting that PCVR-level quality without the headaches.

Last edited:

SilentUser

If i like tabletop games, should i get demeo?
I recommend it to everyone if they have friends to play with. It is crossplay with PCVR, plus there is a flatscreen version which is also crossplay with VR. I play on PSVR2, my brother on PCVR, a friend on flatscreen PC and another friend plays on PS5. I simply love it. Dunno if I would like that much if it wasn't for coop, though.

Markio128

Really hard for me as I love almost all my games, for different reasons. Have a Tier list instead :D

S-tier:
GT7: Do I need to explain why?
RE8: great game in flat, terrifying and awe-inspiring experience in VR
Moss 1&2: visuals, mechanics, aesthetics, etc... this game does everything right.
Tetris Effect: this is a piece of art, period. I live in Paris and I've done dozens of hipster art exhibition about light and sound, and nothing impressed me more than the theater mode in this game. Smoke a joint, relax, launch that mode and get ready to travel in another dimension. (damn that sounds cringe AF)
Rez Infinite: FEAR IS THE MIND KILLER. Intemporal masterpiece.

A Tier :
Horizon: great introductory game to VR, great climbing (first climbing game in VR for me, so that felt really "fresh" and immersive to me)
After The Fall : Left4Dead game design + House of the Dead level of gory fun? Well, yes !?
Thumper: that game hates you. That game really hates you... And I fucking love it. (yes I'm weird... I'm French)
Puzzling Places: Downloaded the demo for my girlfriend, and was instantly blown away. Great game to play from time to time, amazing concept.
The Light Brigade: great gameplay, great game design, awesome atmosphere and a game that promises to evolve a ton in the coming months. Already spent 20H on it and I know I will play dozen and dozen of hours more. Might become S-TIer if they add great content.
Townsmen: Black and White in VR with a 15-20h campaign? Absolute no brainer for me, and it plays really well!

Regret Tier :
KayakVR: I'm terrible at this game, it makes me feel dizzy (and I have no problem with motion sickness anymore), and it seems like an "experience" more than a game. I wanted this to be a nice showcase for VR to my friends, but no one is interested to try it and it will make them sick anyway so...
Pavlov: great game, surely, but it's impossible to play seated (my bad, I should have known) and there are no ranked or "main" mode, which is quite a flaw for a competitive FPS like this one (imo). Browsing lobbies with what looks like an excel sheet to get into a game? Too lazy for that, sorry.

Unrated:
Saints and Sinners (only played 1h)
Tentacular (only played a few levels with the lady, I like it tho, really charming)
No Man Sky: please patch the terrible IQ, thanks!
You’ve sold me on Tetris Effect. That’ll be another one to pick up next month, with Demeo and HCOTM. I’m trying to pace myself, but there are so many awesome games to choose from, it’s madness. I also fancy Townsmen as well.

Agreed with NMS - it could be stellar, but is let down badly by the IQ, like you say. A decent update in visual quality, perhaps with forveated rendering, would make the world of difference.

As for Kayak VR, I get where you’re coming from - when I take part in any race, I can feel my stomach churning a bit when turning quickly. The best experience I have had with the game is by taking a tour. You can just sit back and enjoy the scenery and relaxing music.

Markio128

Nobody talks about Cosmonious High but it is such a fun and pretty game I highly recommend. It's quite kiddy but graphics look beautiful on the oled screen. Super colorful and vibrant and the gameplay mechanics are super fun as you use your hand to splash water, ice and other powers.
I tried the demo, but it made me feel like I was 2 feet tall when sitting down, so I guess it’s meant to be a game played standing?

Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners by far. A full VR-AF title, razor sharp visuals and 90 fps performance made from the ground up for VR.

Really meaty survival game with lots of cool upgrades and a neat flow to the game.

Minsc

Gold Member
Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners by far. A full VR-AF title, razor sharp visuals and 90 fps performance made from the ground up for VR.

Really meaty survival game with lots of cool upgrades and a neat flow to the game.
Is the kind of game where you can build a base up comfortably and feel progress/growth or is it more the kind where something terrible will happen in 2 weeks and you'll be overrun, so you have a limited amount of days to prepare and then get assaulted and either lose or win?

Is the kind of game where you can build a base up comfortably and feel progress/growth or is it more the kind where something terrible will happen in 2 weeks and you'll be overrun, so you have a limited amount of days to prepare and then get assaulted and either lose or win?

I'm only like 6 days in, but so far it's been pretty manageable using various methods (stealth or action). I think you can always do a random mission to loot stuff and build back up if you need to

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's not that kind of survival game, you have a hub area you can craft stuff in and then based on your story progress you can choose to visit a bunch of unlocked areas which you can go scavenge or find and do quests or whatever. The horde usually triggers after like 20 minutes or something and you gotta leg it to an exit to go back to the hub or another area or die, usually you'll want to do everything before rather than deal with wasting resources on the horde, there may also be modifiers based on the area and your progress like no horde because of whatever conditions. You unlock different crafting stuff in your hub as you progress or interact with it in other ways but it's hardly base building or anything of the sort. It's mostly a story driven progression game really, like a light immersive sim with choices here and there, but you can revisit areas at will to scavenge and progress at your own pace. Weapons and stuff break so the loop is to craft a few different weapons in the hub to take with you on the next mission or next scavenging trip for more resources, go in a play area, deal with zombies or whatever is thrown at you, complete a story task or side quest, go back to the hub, repeat. NPCs also gtfo when the horde comes so any side quest you haven't completed that involves them is gone for good if you don't do it before the horde triggers. Zombies are randomly spawned/placed even before the horde which feels kinda crappy at first but it's not meant to be like RE where you can clear an area and you're always juggling your available resources with the potential pay off of what you're doing, progression also alters that stuff, eventually resources are more scarce and zombies more numerous or there can be human enemy patrols, it's pretty cool if flawed. I haven't played Chapter 2 to know how it improves or changes the formula but it's always looked almost like an expansion rather than a full sequel so it's probably more of the same with more story and areas to uncover, which isn't a bad thing at all, it's been one of the best VR games since 2020.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

You’ve sold me on Tetris Effect.
When they announced the game, I was SO disappointed. We knew at the time that a new Mizuguchi game was coming and I was expecting a "third" Rez (Child of Eden being what I consider the second one. I dream about a PSVR2 port), so seeing the first trailer was a big let down for me. I don't like Tetris, I never liked Tetris, I don't care about Tetris!

I still bought the game and I tried it for what I thought would be 10 minutes, thinking that I would regret the purchase... and in the end I think I played 4 hours that night.

The Tetris aspect is actually not that important in the game. Yes, this is the core of the gameplay, but think of it as a mean to burst the most beautiful and ever-evolving synesthesia pieces video game has ever witnessed. Every one knows Tetris and its rules, so they knew that it was the perfect basis for the game: you easily forget about the gameplay and your controller, and enter the "zone" very easily.

After just a few seconds, you realise that every button press produces a sound and a visual effect, and that completing a line triggers an even more evolved visual effect + sound, and that a full tetris will trigger an even bigger and more impressive reaction. Every level also have "thresholds" that will make the whole stage visually transform and add new layers of music. Every stage is different and there are like 30 of them I think, which means every level will provide a whole new experience: jazzy music surrounded by colorful Chicago sky scrappers at night, pop music in a constellation of stars, bombastic house while surfing with dolphins in the middle of oceans etc... the whole "journey" mode is quite something to behold, let me tell you.
Theater mode lets you replay all these stages without Tetris elements, so you can just enjoy the sublime scenery and trigger all the visual and sound effect at your pace. This is really mind-blowing, especially with PSVR2 visual fidelity.

And you also have mutliplayer, customised modes etc.. so content / replayability is not an issue.

It might not be a game for everyone, but if you enjoyed Rez and love musical games, this will probably blow you away.

Last edited:

Romulus

One of the most understated positives of the PSVR2 is that it just works. PCVR is great and all, but boy, the amount of tinkering that goes into getting some of these more demanding titles to run well has been a real eye-opener. I know that's the nature of PC gaming, but it seems amplified tenfold when you throw a headset and VR tools into the mix. Unless you have got an absolute monster rig, or are totally content with settling for performance over visual quality at all costs, you've got some work to do.

You want to compare lenses, game catalog, wired/wireless, etc, but there's a huge advantage to getting that PCVR-level quality without the headaches.

Very true. Sometimes messing with settings is annoying it just doesn't work as advertised. GT7 just feels amazing to boot up and it just works. Same for everything else on psvr2.
I think quest 2 offers a great middle ground here because you can play ports like og-doom 3, jedi knight/academy, battlefront 2 online(via contractors), Quake 4, wolfenstein, half life, prey all with mods that are selectable from menu. Want brutal DooM for DooM 64 VR? It works. Full gore dismemberment in jedi knight? Yes.
Team Beef has made standalone Quest 2 better than it should have ever been. Actually feeling like a jedi in 1st person with motion force gestures/lightsaber and no wires is something incredible, even as a pcvr/psvr2 owner. Feels like an offical port, even better than most pcvr mods.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Imagine RE 4 Remake in vr!
It's going to be more fun, but I don't know if it'll look better, probably come pretty close. It's amazing how much more detailed RE8 is than RE7 (even disregarding the reduced quality for PSVR1, just comparing flat versions), but from the demo RE4 to me looks like it'll fall between RE8 and RE7, it's also just a much larger game so I don't think they can maintain the quality RE8 had for the entire game. But perhaps someone who's already come close to finishing RE4 would have a more informed opinion.

How noticeable do you guys find the mura/grain effect? Does it vary between each unit? I'm enjoying my VR overall but in certain games it's really distracting.

In Kayak VR for example it's literally all I can see, and annoyingly it's quite noticeable in GT7 as well which is really frustrating given how otherwise outstanding it is.

Sorry for the thread derail but I just want to make sure that I don't have a particularly bad unit or something before I commit to keeping this thing.

Crayon

How noticeable do you guys find the mura/grain effect? Does it vary between each unit? I'm enjoying my VR overall but in certain games it's really distracting.

In Kayak VR for example it's literally all I can see, and annoyingly it's quite noticeable in GT7 as well which is really frustrating given how otherwise outstanding it is.

Sorry for the thread derail but I just want to make sure that I don't have a particularly bad unit or something before I commit to keeping this thing.

No, that's not a derail. That's a legitimate weak point / compromise and we should be here to talk about every aspect of the thing not just a good parts.

Myself, I just forget about it and enjoy the good part. It's almost literally looking past it because the grain is in this very close focal range and when you are looking out "where the game is" it's much harder to notice.

But there are definitely reports of it varying. Specifically from people who had a hunch there was something wrong with theirs, returned it, and got a better one. Too bad there's no way to really know without trying a couple back to back. But if you want to be really sure, you could ask for an exchange before the period is up.

Top Bottom