• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

SilentUser

Creed: Rise to Glory – Championship Edition packs a punch of new content on PS VR2, out April 4​

7eac81023aec059db54ab766cadee42e65e4ccb1.jpg

In-depth gameplay details including Fitness Mode, Endurance Mode, and cross-platform PVP.

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/0...a-punch-of-new-content-on-ps-vr2-out-april-4/

Not my cup of tea, but sharing anyway :)

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I've played a couple of hours or so, right now I'm

inside the castle, I just killed the first of the daughters

At first the game was really scary and I felt uneasy the whole time but now I've gotten used to it and it's just very enjoyable, even if it gives me the chills from time to time!

I really love the whole gothic vibe too. One of the times I was exploring around and walked in
Lady D's room the mannequin with dress gave me such a jump, because I'm so used to hearing her footsteps and there she was/wasn't right in front of me, even if you know it's there just seeing it resemble her height and clothes so close to you gives a little jump, especially in VR!
But the Duke - he's my real curiosity in the game, it's like how does a guy like him just get to do whatever he wants
inside Lady D's house and everywhere else and Mother Miranda or Heisenberg or anyone really can't lay a finger on him. Hell Lady D can't even see his door, it's like another dimension as soon as you enter you vanish, he must have some sort of demi-god-like powers and status
. But the plot is fairly well done for a RE game - a good level or two above any of the older games. Same with RE7 I gather, that and Village both really brought the characters and atmosphere/story telling up a level, not that it was terrible before, but it was definitely more corny/cheesy than horror I felt.

Last edited:

Markio128

Demeo is going to take some getting used to - mostly from a control perspective. Spinning the table to another angle seems more awkward than it needs to be. I like the general vibe though and the game itself seems fun and not overly complicated.

Tetris Connected is great and can go from being super chilled to wtf in seconds. I love how the music goes through different stages the closer you get to your goal, and the way the themes build in the same way.

SilentUser

Anyone here bought The Last Worker and care to share impressions? I saw a glimpse of Beardo Benjo's video and got interested in this game, just would like to know others impressions before buying it.

Anyone here bought The Last Worker and care to share impressions? I saw a glimpse of Beardo Benjo's video and got interested in this game, just would like to know others impressions before buying it.
i've asked the same, haven't heard any impressions. PSVR Without Parole seems to not like it, said on his live stream he was somewhere between a 5-6, and talked at lengths about his problems with it. I'll probably still check it out since it's very cheap.

SilentUser

i've asked the same, haven't heard any impressions. PSVR Without Parole seems to not like it, said on his live stream he was somewhere between a 5-6, and talked at lengths about his problems with it. I'll probably still check it out since it's very cheap.
Check Beardo Benjo's video, that's the one that actually made me interested in this game:

Yeah, since it is kinda cheap, I might end up buying it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Is there currently a VR headset (any price) that offers a cinematic mode (flat) that can compete with high-end televisions with regard to resolution, brightness, HDR? I'm just curious where exactly the display technology is right now.

Minsc

Gold Member
Is there currently a VR headset (any price) that offers a cinematic mode (flat) that can compete with high-end televisions with regard to resolution, brightness, HDR? I'm just curious where exactly the display technology is right now.
From what I understand no. Not at any price, but Apple's might be one of the first. To compete with 4k content you need 8k lenses. PS VR2 is the only OLED HDR set, and the colors don't even get as vivid as a flat set, but they're said to be better than most, and from my experience I can tell it is HDR when playing Synth Riders and GT7, and the headset can blind you, but the colors just never get to the same level as my QLED, and obviously the clarity and resolution is closer to 1080p than 4k... there's a drop in the lenses resolution to perceived resolution, so any 4k lens will not look like a 4k TV, especially when you're making it like 200" tall etc, people have said you need to get an 8k lens to resolve all the detail in 4k perfectly.

this doesn't compete with high end televisions. Cinematic mode is nowhere close to my C9. Hyperbole isn't helping expectations for anyone wondering about the headset. It has very good picture, but it's not looking as beautiful as a high end OLED.

Last edited:

Evolved1

this doesn't compete with high end televisions. Cinematic mode is nowhere close to my C9. Hyperbole isn't helping expectations for anyone wondering about the headset. It has very good picture, but it's not looking as beautiful as a high end OLED.
I wasn't talking about PSVR2.

Evolved1

my bad sir, misuderstood, I thought you were saying "is there a headset that competes with high end tv's" as saying PSVR2 does, the others don't/
Yeah, I have the headset and a high end TV.... and it isn't close lol. I was just wondering where displays currently are when price isn't a factor.

Sleepwalker

I don't think there are, but I don't think they are trying to be. I think something like the Nreal Air glasses is something that makes more sense for that type of utility.

Romulus

Switching back between the Quest 2 and PSVR2 why is there such a disparity in controller battery life? PSVR2 for me is about 3-4 hours and Quest 2 is 3 MONTHS. Quest 2 has a pretty decent rumble effect, while not as advanced as the PSVR2 haptics, the difference isn't worth the trade-off imo.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Switching back between the Quest 2 and PSVR2 why is there such a disparity in controller battery life? PSVR2 for me is about 3-4 hours and Quest 2 is 3 MONTHS. Quest 2 has a pretty decent rumble effect, while not as advanced as the PSVR2 haptics, the difference isn't worth the trade-off imo.
AA batteries are underrated, its the same thing when it comes to xbox controller vs dualsense/dualshock.

Crayon

Yeah I'll take AA batteries all day, I just don't know why its that much of a difference.

The little I know about batteries comes from rc cars. I can say they definitely come in different grades depending on how much you pay and in some, batteries that have the same capacity can get you different results depending on other characteristics like discharge rates. For instance, in a cheaper lithium battery can get towards the bottom of it's capacity and your car will start slowing down, while a top shelf battery is good to the last drop. I think the nicer aa's you can buy these days are more expensive and more performant than the penny-pinching shit sony uses to achieve sleekness and convenience and not add too much cost compared to "batteries not included".

Last edited:

Romulus

I’m happier with lighter controllers. I never play for more than 2 hours anyway, then I put them on charge in between sessions.

I can't tell which is lighter holding them both in my hands a few seconds ago, they're both extremely light to me. But I play for way beyond 2 hours and I've had to stop playing several times because the PSVR2 controllers were dying. I charge them when I take breaks etc, but it's still not enough. Some games are worse than others. I also find the tracking to be slightly worse with the controllers and I don't like the big halo style. The controllers are quickly becoming my biggest dislike to an otherwise great experience.

Last edited:

Markio128

I can't tell which is lighter holding them both in my hands a few seconds ago, they're both extremely light to me. But I play for way beyond 2 hours and I've had to stop playing several times because the PSVR2 controllers were dying. I charge them when I take breaks etc, but it's still not enough. Some games are worse than others. I also find the tracking to be slightly worse with the controllers and I don't like the big halo style. The controllers are quickly becoming my biggest dislike to an otherwise great experience.
Well, you can’t please everyone. Such is life. I don’t have a single issue with the controllers, but then the last VR experience I had was with PSVR1 and move controllers.

Crayon

My ideal for controllers with more accessible battery compartments for their built in battery. Battery placement and space efficiency is a thing and it would be a compromise but these batteries really are generic. They switch pro controller does a good job of this. Then you could upgrade or service your batteries easy enough. These batteries are actually generic.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I think RE4 is about as scary as I can handle, which is not scary at all but I just can't deal with horror games even though I love them lol
I'm in the same boat as you!
I'm a very emotional person with crazy imagination so in VR both of those things are stimulated 500%.
I can tolerate RE8 in small doses fine though.

I QUIT Alien Isolation 2/3 in because I couldn't take it anymore. I kept checking my heartbeat. That's the best compliment you can give a game: "Your game is so good/immersive I had to quit!" .

Alien Isolation in VR would literally kill me 😆

SilentUser

Perhaps you could try something like this:

Never used one since the battery never bothered me in any way, but it sounds like a cool solution.

Minsc

Gold Member
Perhaps you could try something like this:

Never used one since the battery never bothered me in any way, but it sounds like a cool solution.

Yup, I got a pair of the white one cause they match perfectly and use them to charge the controllers and to have just in case. Just don't use them while playing C-Smash or something similar, but for RE8/Horizon/Synth Riders/most non sports games, etc, they'd be fine. They have a pretty secure connection, though if you're really worried I'm sure you could find like a velcro strap or something similar to really secure them in place.

SilentUser

Yup, I got a pair of the white one cause they match perfectly and use them to charge the controllers and to have just in case. Just don't use them while playing C-Smash or something similar, but for RE8/Horizon/Synth Riders/most non sports games, etc, they'd be fine. They have a pretty secure connection, though if you're really worried I'm sure you could find like a velcro strap or something similar to really secure them in place.
Thank you for sharing! For now, I still don't think I need those extra batteries, but I decided to buy the charging station to make charging more pratical :)

Crayon

Thanks to so many years of corporate fud on the internet, we now have grassroots fud. It's a pretty simple gameplan, after all. All you need is a little time to spam the shit out of whatever shit is sticking. You'd never heard the words 'sweet spot' so much in your life until all those people who somehow got theirs a day early were all over communities warning of this blurry picture exactly zero reviewers had mentioned. 🤫

SilentUser

This is such a perfect description of what happens on the internet lol I absolutely adore my PSVR2, that's not saying that it is free of flaws because it is not, but it is do damn worth it. My first VR headset, couldn't ask for more. Played on Rift S and Quest 2 of friends and I knew I would wait for PSVR2 to play on PS5, it is so easy to use and everything simply works. It truly is hassle free (the sweetspot is within a couple of seconds).
I hope hybrids games becomes the norm (Village ftw! One of my favorite PSVR2 title), as playing in VR will basically always be the way I play, even though I have a big, nice TV.

Roni

Gold Member
Reports suggest only 270 thousand units sold through by March 2023. Bloomberg talks of possible price cuts already. Seems the whole pre-order fiasco had some truth to it...

Last edited:

aclar00

Thanks to so many years of corporate fud on the internet, we now have grassroots fud. It's a pretty simple gameplan, after all. All you need is a little time to spam the shit out of whatever shit is sticking. You'd never heard the words 'sweet spot' so much in your life until all those people who somehow got theirs a day early were all over communities warning of this blurry picture exactly zero reviewers had mentioned. 🤫

There are truths, exaggerations of the truth and fud. Nothing about what is mentioned in the post is fud. I enjoy mine, but the system has its flaws. Controller battery sucks, I've lost controller sync multiple times (likely a spexific game issue), cord has gotten a bit in the way at times, particularly in Les Mills, mura is strong for me, headset still cuts off my circulation if too tight, falls down if not tight enough (unfortunately there isn't much of an inbetween) and sweet spot exist...quarter inch movement in any direction loses it for me (making everything blurry, wish there was another dial to move screen closer to the face than what's allowed with the slider).

With all that said, i enjoy it still, but the ultimate litmus test will be future 1st party support, but at this point I am a bit skeptical.

Also feel Sony needs to get 3rd party app support back, including Hulu, Netflix, etc...not sure if those services dropped VR support completely or just PSVR.

Basically, I just want to see them go all in...don't want it to end up being Eyetoy, PS Eye, Move and arguably PSP/Vita all over again. Letting 3rd party lead the charge isn't going to help. That should be a supplement to great 1st party games, much like the base consoles.

aclar00

Reports suggest only 270 thousand units sold through by March 2023. Bloomberg talks of possible price cuts already. Seems the whole pre-order fiasco had some truth to it...

I didn't follow Sells too closely, but was PS direct the only way? If so, that likely harmed them...even though it's expensive, you would think they want it to be an impulse buy that someone snags when walking through Walmart...but Jim seems like he's trying to become Apple...great goal, but just a tad bit too early.

Minsc

Gold Member
Everyone one of those threads was deleted or locked, so let's not dwell on that report here please - it's either heresy or inaccurate in the eyes of this forum.

Crayon

There are truths, exaggerations of the truth and fud. Nothing about what is mentioned in the post is fud. I enjoy mine, but the system has its flaws. Controller battery sucks, I've lost controller sync multiple times (likely a spexific game issue), cord has gotten a bit in the way at times, particularly in Les Mills, mura is strong for me, headset still cuts off my circulation if too tight, falls down if not tight enough (unfortunately there isn't much of an inbetween) and sweet spot exist...quarter inch movement in any direction loses it for me (making everything blurry, wish there was another dial to move screen closer to the face than what's allowed with the slider).

With all that said, i enjoy it still, but the ultimate litmus test will be future 1st party support, but at this point I am a bit skeptical.

Also feel Sony needs to get 3rd party app support back, including Hulu, Netflix, etc...not sure if those services dropped VR support completely or just PSVR.

Basically, I just want to see them go all in...don't want it to end up being Eyetoy, PS Eye, Move and arguably PSP/Vita all over again. Letting 3rd party lead the charge isn't going to help. That should be a supplement to great 1st party games, much like the base consoles.

Absolutely. Truths, exaggerations and fud. We may see slightly differently in that nowadays I think there is also recreational fud alongside the sponsored kind.

Those criticisms are real things and I've no problem discussing them. There's a difference between talking about it and trolling though. Platform warring has adopted a fud-style for a long time now. Trolling is tireless and a feature of online communities. There is, as should be expected, a ton of people latching onto some negatives (oddly not the batteries, while it drives actual happy users nuts) and boosting that every chance they get.

Unfortunately, some poor soul in that reddit meltdown is spending all their time in these communities and getting gaslit. That's why I like to remind people to watch the reviews the week before where you get a sampling of people going in blind and compare that to commentsville.

As for the software, you are into the real conversation. As of now, to the support is strong in whatever this quiet marketing, direct-order only weird period is. I can only imagine what the plan is from there. Is the idea to have a grand opening for the holidays where you finally can buy these in stores and they show off the next round of aaa games with VR modes? Does that kick something off or does it peter out? There's a million ways it could go. I just know it's off to a strong start, and I want to see what the holiday looks like.

Delt31

If you’re asking if there is a headset that looks as clear as a 4k tv display, the answer is yes. I own it. It’s called the varjo Aero Vr headset and the picture is literally as clear as HD TV. It’s insane. It’s also 2k for just the headset so FYI. Very comfortable too and uses Steam tracking.

I’ve owned many headsets, including PSVR2 - the aero is truly the next level.

Minsc

Gold Member
If you’re asking if there is a headset that looks as clear as a 4k tv display, the answer is yes. I own it. It’s called the varjo Aero Vr headset and the picture is literally as clear as HD TV. It’s insane. It’s also 2k for just the headset so FYI. Very comfortable too and uses Steam tracking.

I’ve owned many headsets, including PSVR2 - the aero is truly the next level.
No HDR though, so going to miss out a bit there compared to the latest Dolby Vision TVs. I've seen other owners on reddit also mention the blacks aren't as good as some other headsets. Lastly no wireless and lower FOV (both vertically and horizontally than the competition) and some complaints about the audio port missing or something. I'm also a little skeptical the resolution is fully 100% on par with 4k, but I'll concede that's definitely the strongest/best selling aspect of the set from what I've read, it's super clear - though I still think with all the upcoming higher resolution headsets around the corner we may see even better clarity later this/or next year, and I do think Apple's will be something else in terms of clarity and color, because really what else are they going to sell in a non-gaming headset for $3k.

Edit: Here's a review - they also comment about the lack of black blacks compared to OLED, tiny bit of mura if you look for it, no video passthrough - so you can't see the outside world without removing the headset, I guess the audio complaint was no onboard speakers like the Index, no controllers at all with that price, so another $5-600 for the Index controllers, not good for if you wear glasses due to no eye-relief adjustment.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Before buying my PSVR2 I checked this thread and a couple of Youtube reviews including Digital Foundry.
That's it that's all.

Unlike most people I have zero social media and don't care for Reddit.
I learned about mura in here and it doesn't bother me at all.
The Honeymoon phase continues! 😃

saintjules

So did anyone ever had issues with overheating headsets?

Saw some crazy comment about how the fan wasn't enough to keep it cool.

Pretty sure it's BS though.

I have had no problems so far with any of VR. Maybe it's just the lottery and people got a few bad eggs. Either that or they won't admit they dropped their box / headset shortly after getting it.

ABnormal

So did anyone ever had issues with overheating headsets?

Saw some crazy comment about how the fan wasn't enough to keep it cool.

Pretty sure it's BS though.
It's not the right season to know about overheating, but for now I didn't have any problem in that regard. Also, the incuded fan is not for cooling the player, but only to prevent lens fogging. It drives moisture outside the front part of th headset.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
So I made my first VR mod for me to replace the set of earbuds with a nicer pair of IEMs and a Fiio A3 headphone amp - which has the added bonus of having volume control! The sound is so much better, the amp really brings out every little detail too. Using just a little color matched velcro, and some wire ties, I was able to adjust the cable length so there's no excess wire flapping around and putting the IEMs in feels almost like they were built in to the set, unnoticeable and quick to put in. Headphone amp battery life is supposed to be around 16 hours, so basically as long as I charge it once every two weeks I'm going to be fine. It also acts as a counter weight, and I like it a lot more than the headphones I was using before, a lot less fatigue this way.

Anyway here's the pics:

Amp + IEMs

Backside of amp, you can see the velcro strip and the volume knob (super useful real time adjusting).

PS VR2 with the white velcro strip and headphone jack to amp wire (short connector comes with the amp)

And with the headphone amp + IEMs attached to the PS VR2.

So yeah! I've used it like 6-7 sessions now, and I love it. No difficulty with it moving with any games, velcro is super secure and it's also really light, I don't notice any added weight at all.

Here's a bonus pic of the battery pack mentioned earlier so I can wirelessly charge the sense controllers - either after I'm done, or they can be charged while playing, and the pack does not get in the way at all of normal controller usage.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
I didn't follow Sells too closely, but was PS direct the only way? If so, that likely harmed them...even though it's expensive, you would think they want it to be an impulse buy that someone snags when walking through Walmart...but Jim seems like he's trying to become Apple...great goal, but just a tad bit too early.
It was and I believe still is. It's why I don't have one yet. I am waiting to pick it up in a store. Ease of return/ replace if I have a defect in the first month.

I have had no problems so far with any of VR. Maybe it's just the lottery and people got a few bad eggs. Either that or they won't admit they dropped their box / headset shortly after getting it.

It's not the right season to know about overheating, but for now I didn't have any problem in that regard. Also, the incuded fan is not for cooling the player, but only to prevent lens fogging. It drives moisture outside the front part of th headset.

Thank you both for answering that. Still on the fence with PSVR2 but all I need are enough games to convince me to get one.

Top Bottom