• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 Review - Digital Foundry

kyliethicc

quick notes

vastly superior to PSVR1
build quality is very good
headset is comfortable, better design than PSVR1
controllers feel premium, weighty
competitive with high end PC VR headsets
VR2 feels like a high end product, and is expensive
VR2 does not work with PCs, only PS5

sharpest, brightest VR display he's ever used
HDR OLED has absolute dark blacks, great contrast, clear motion
FOV is better than PSVR1

headset inside out tracking is accurate
eye tracking works well for inputs & for rendering
can play games just by looking (look to aim)
eye tracking doesn't work with one eye closed

sense controllers are much better than move controllers
hand tracking isn't flawless, depends per game
similar to oculus touch controllers, but with better haptics

stock earbuds sound pretty good

theater mode for playing non-VR games is actually good and playable
much better than PSVR1
can play normal PS5 games at 120 Hz HDR inside the headset

recommends new version of Rez Infinite as an HDR showcase

can't do 120 Hz captures of the games yet so no way to performance test

Last edited:

Freeman76

urghh i really want it, im still 50/50 now

My mind is made up. 100% buying it, but not yet. Don't get dragged into the hype of GAF and how the line-up is AMAZING OMG!!! It really isnt.

I expect there will be a lot of great games for it, but most of what is there day one is VR demo type stuff, nothing of real substance apart from GT7, RE8 and maybe Horizon.

There isnt a must have title as far as im concerned, and by the time there is, the headset will be cheaper.

Amazing tech though i cant wait to own one, but I got caught in the hype last time around and the headset gathered dust after a month, then tanked in price.

sachos

The review i was waiting for! I knew John would be gushing about the OLED HDR screen, it seems to be trully impressive if he says so knowing how finicky his tastes are. Graphics in Horizon look amazing for a VR game, its a shame that they did not get games like RE8, Kayak VR or GT7 during the review process though.

Dualsense controllers are such a big leap over Move controllers, if you come from PSVR1 then you will finally feel what proper VR controllers feel like and it seems the haptics really add to the immersion although i would have liked he described better the sensation for the headset haptics, can they simulate say rain in your head? From the official tech breakdown the haptic motor on the headset seemed to me like a classic rumble motor from old, maybe im wrong.

Only complain i have about the review is that he complained about the price a couple of times but failed to put into perspective the price and features of the headset with actual PC VR competitors and i think failed to talk about the game lineup from the perspective of someone new to VR (this is actually something a lot of reviewers fail to do).

Only complain i have about the review is that he complained about the price a couple of times but failed to put into perspective the price and features of the headset with actual PC VR competitors and i think failed to talk about the game lineup from the perspective of someone new to VR (this is actually something a lot of reviewers fail to do).
These are my thoughts too. I’m not sure why he was mentioning price being a downside when to get a similar visual experience elsewhere it will cost more than £2000

XXL

Can't wait! First time I'm trying a VR headset.
I just hope I won't get motion sickness issues.
Just start with stationary games (or on rails games) for the first little while and you'll be fine. After you play those for a bit, start trying some games that have more movement.

I would recommend starting with something like Job Simulator, Beat Saber, Pistol Whip, Tetris Effect, Rez, etc.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just start with stationary games for the first little while and you'll be fine. After you play those for a bit, start trying some games that have more movement.

I would recommend starting with something like Job Simulator, Beat Saber, Pistol Whip, Tetris Effect, Rez, etc.

Pistol Whip is not stationary. I mean, YOU are, but in the game you're constantly moving forward. Which I think is exactly the type of thing that makes some people nauseous (when what you're seeing doesn't match up with what you're actually doing and feeling physically).

But the others, yeah. Well, maybe not Rez? Haven't played it, but aren't you constantly moving forward there too?

Are all those confirmed to be getting PSVR2 versions?

Last edited:

XXL

Pistol Whip is not stationary. I mean, YOU are, but in the game you're constantly moving forward. Which I think is exactly the type of thing that makes some people nauseous (when what you're seeing doesn't match up with what you're actually doing and feeling physically).

But the others, yeah. Well, maybe not Rez? Haven't played it, but aren't you constantly moving forward there too?

Are all those confirmed to be getting PSVR2 versions?
I should have mentioned on Rails, like Pistol Whip. Which is fine for beginners, imo. I'll edit, the original comment.

Most games I listed have an upgrade. Tetris and Rez are paid, Beat Saber Im not sure about.

Last edited:
I should have mentioned on Rails, like Pistol Whip. Which is fine for beginners, imo. I'll edit, the original comment.

Most games I listed have an upgrade. Tetris and Rez are paid, Beat Saber Im not sure about.
Pistol Whip is a must buy for sure.

If they get Walkabout Mini-Golf I recommend that to everyone.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Amazing review...I will pick one up. Just please announce astro bot remake / remaster with save progression.

Once I can get a deal on it I'm in.

Spokker

Like John said, it looks like there is a lot of potential here. The only problem is that I don't see a killer app worth plunking down the cash yet. However, if they were to get Half-Life: Alyx running on this thing, it changes the equation.

Thebonehead

Banned
Been playing Rez on the Reverb a lot recently, so when he mentioned aiming using eye tracking on Rez with PSVR2 it sounded so wild yet simple at the same time
Reverb g2 has such a small sweet spot that I move my head more than I would normally to focus on things.

Eye tracking is the way to go.

Tried my friends varjo aero and it is a game changer with the eye tracking.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Like John said, it looks like there is a lot of potential here. The only problem is that I don't see a killer app worth plunking down the cash yet. However, if they were to get Half-Life: Alyx running on this thing, it changes the equation.
Gt7
Resi 8

2 big titles like this are all i need for a while.

Alyx would seal the deal i agree.
But i own it on PC so eh

mckmas8808

Banned
John says that this is the brightest headset he's used yet. Moss 2 looks so great here.

cwpu8D3.jpg

Top Bottom