• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation: Xbox's Call of Duty offer was "inadequate on many levels"

reksveks

Microsoft has promised to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation for three years beyond the current agreement between Activision and Sony, says PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan.

In a statement provided to GamesIndustry.biz, Ryan says the offer was "inadequate on many levels".

"I hadn’t intended to comment on what I understood to be a private business discussion, but I feel the need to set the record straight because Phil Spencer brought this into the public forum," Ryan stated.

"Microsoft has only offered for Call of Duty to remain on PlayStation for three years after the current agreement between Activision and Sony ends. After almost 20 years of Call of Duty on PlayStation, their proposal was inadequate on many levels and failed to take account of the impact on our gamers. We want to guarantee PlayStation gamers continue to have the highest quality Call of Duty experience, and Microsoft’s proposal undermines this principle."

Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/playstation-xboxs-call-of-duty-offer-was-inadequate-on-many-levels

I mean what can they do? It'll go exclusive in 3 years and I don't see how Sony will avert that. Competition like this can be healthy though. And spur Sony to get off their ass and start showcasing dope ass games again.

I expect the new bungie IP just became a PS5 exclusive though with this drama.

Last edited:

Pelta88

Phil's PR to the media: "It's about giving all gamers a choice."

Phil Behind the scenes:

YellowNegligibleAnnashummingbird-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
This is not going to change anything and just confirms how scared he is about this coming to past cause they’ll have to really develop their own FPS to compete. 3 years after the next 3 years is 6 years. Lol what does he want Microsoft to forever ♾ give them their number one revenue product? It only made sense for Microsoft to do until they recoup their investments and move everything back to their platform to maximize gamepass subs.

O'l Phil at it again.
Remember the what he said when they had just recently acquired Bethesda?
"This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that," Spencer said. "Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: 'How do we keep other players from playing these games?' We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games."
I guess Jimbo still remembers that statement from Phil and knows it didn't last, lol

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Since when has Sony considered their impact on gamers with all their timed exclusivity bullshit? Did locking Spiderman down to PlayStation in a third party game matter to them? How about locking down Final Fantasy? Sony never gave a shit until Microsoft brought a bazooka to a knife fight.

Let me get my tiny violin, because the ball isn’t in your court Sony. Don’t like it? Too bad.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Since when has Sony considered their impact on gamers with all their timed exclusivity bullshit? Did locking Spiderman down to PlayStation in a third party game matter to them? How about locking down Final Fantasy? Sony never gave a shit until Microsoft brought a bazooka to a knife fight.

Let me get my tiny violin, because the ball isn’t in your court Sony. Don’t like it? Too bad.
I think he meant to say impact on our gamers wallets (and therefore our revenue) but they edited it. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Droxcy

I mean what can they do? It'll go exclusive in 3 years and I don't see how Sony will avert that. Competition like this can be healthy though. And spur Sony to get off their ass and start showcasing dope ass games again.

I expect the new bungie IP just became a PS5 exclusive though with this drama.

Maybe they can revive their solid shooters like Socom & Killzone or even get Factions to play out long-term it's all up to Sony's Studios can't blame Phil for taking CoD. Let's be honest since CoD has had Playstation exclusivity for events & branding it hasn't gone well CoD was and will always be associated with Xbox.

Last edited:

tmlDan

You had the gull to keep final fantasy 7 remake from Xbox but get mad when you lose call of duty?
lmao stfu, sony.
You did this to yourself.
we say this, but how do you know that? how do you know it wasn't Squares decision?

There have been many cases where they just choose to put it only on PS, also games like SF5 were partly funded by PS - you can thank them for some things even existing.

Jim should be grateful they get 3 additional years with COD beyond the agreed upon terms that have been signed. I doubt Sony would have offered the same grace period had they been the ones to own the IP.
Lol you knew if they bought activision everyone would be celebrating the death of Microsoft’s and would be ok with it just being exclusive to PlayStation. It’s always when it’s the other way around that’s the issue.

Top Bottom