• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation's China Joy Conference 2019 |OT| Monkey kings, dieselpunk mech-rabbits, and romancing kingdoms

Kazza

Today was Sony's ChinaJoy event. Although put on by Sony, not all the titles will be exclusive to PS4, so there should be something for everyone here. I'm not going to cover all the games (some of which are text adventures which don't seem like they will be getting western localisation), but instead here's my curated list:

Maybe the highlight of the show for me was The Oriental Exorcist (PS4 and PC). it looks similar to one of my favourite games ever, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, with it's 2D hack and slashing, although their animation and artwork aren't quite up to Vanillaware's standard (but then, who's is?):

Seeing how long we will likely be waiting for The Last Night to finally release, this 2D pixel art cyberpunk adventure might satisfy that itch in the meantime (ANNO: Mutantionem, PS4):

This looks like a Chinese version of the kind of pretentious wank that Hideo Kojima often comes up with, so maybe MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima might be interested :messenger_tears_of_joy: . Evotinction (PS4) looks like a stealth/hacking walking adventure with a pretentious sci-fi setting (yeah, so very Kojima). Looks better than Death Stranding:

AI-LIMIT (PS4) looks like a mix between a cell-shaded Nier Automata and Dark Souls:

Biped (PS4, Switch) looked like a Astro Bot rip-off at first glance, but on closer inspection appears to be a 2 player co-op 3D platformer, rather than a VR game:

Described as a "survival, narrative, exploration, VR adventure game" on its website, Apocalypse (PS4, PC) looks pretty interesting:

F.I.S.T. (PS4, PC) looks like a fun 2.5D dieselpunk Metroidvania game, featuring a rabbit in a mech suit:

Monkey King: Hero (PS4) is Back looks alright, although I don't know how well airbourne combat will work:

Finally, Romance of the Three Kngdoms XIV (PS4, PC) was also announced:

Feel free to add more to the thread, but those are the ones which caught my eye. Not too bad overall.

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
Seems interesting, i wanted to know what Chinese game devs are capable of making for some time.

Kazza

These games all look pretty derivative of existing stuff, though. Was kind of hoping for something truly different.

The Chinese industry is still very young at this point, so I'm willing to give them a pass when it comes to making derivative stuff for now (so long as they do it well).

Speaking of derivative, but seemingly well-made games, here's a new PS4 trailer for Zelda: BotW Waifu Edition:

Kazza

Is there any word on Lost Soul Aside? I was really looking foward to it.

They skipped it:

Dear players across the ocean, it’s been a while! This is the China Hero Project. Since we have prepared a letter for our domestic audience, which will be released through game media outlets, we believe it is also very important for us to put something together for the overseas players and media who care about and support us.

This summer, six titles from our second batch of titles to join the China Hero Project will be playable at ChinaJoy 2019 from August 2 to 5. For fans unable to attend the event, we have prepared a new clip to share the latest progress on these titles. The titles include: F.I.S.T, Evotinction, Convallaria, ANNO: Mutationem, In Nightmare, and AI-LIMIT.

This will be the very first time actual gameplay of these titles is being showcased in China. The developers have been working very hard to ensure the performance of these title meet PlayStation’s project criteria. We asked all the developers to use a slice from their main builds to make a demo and they followed through, which means that their actual development progress is on the right track and fans won’t have to wait too long to purchase their games.

We also have some updates on the China Hero Project titles that will not be playable at ChinaJoy 2019, as we understand and feel there are many people that care about them:

• Lost Soul Aside: The team has grown since last year. Rather than make a demo for ChinaJoy 2019, they chose to completely focus on development of the main build. We fully respect creator Yangbing and the team. Development takes time. Just like Hardcore Mecha, the game will be completed.
  • Pervader: The team is still working on the game. They made the same choice as Lost Soul Aside.
  • Boundary: This title is close to its release window, and while they won’t be showing their latest build at our ChinaJoy 2019 booth, they will be attending Gamescom 2019 in Germany later in August with a playable build.
  • RAN: Lost Islands: Going by their projects, the first playable build of this title will be available this fall.
Starting from this fall, we will also host some offline focus groups (i.e. limited user tests, China cities only at this time) for upcoming titles. In our hearts, we believe in quality above all else, and we hope these events can benefit the development of these titles.

Eventually, we believe most games will come to overseas markets and that it is only a matter of time. This is the answer we would like to put out there for the many fans who left us messages of concern in the past.

So in short, we write this letter to brief you on what we are doing in China with those talented developers. We want to be transparent and deliver a truthful message to all of you. It takes time and they will get there eventually. But why do we do this? Let me tell you a story:

Two years ago, we took four titles to attend PlayStation Experience in Anaheim, California. We brought a China Hero Project flag to decorate the booth. Before the event, we told our developers to be prepared in case attendees didn’t take well to their games, since people there know less about games from China, especially console games. The result was the complete opposite of what we expected–we got tons of support from players during PlayStation Experience 2017, and the flag was full of supportive words and names from players. I spent $20 USD to make this flag and it already became a priceless treasure after the event.

What we want to emphasize here is, sometimes developers lack resources, especially when they want to make console games. To be honest, lack of resources is probably one of the biggest challenges in the gaming industry. But they chose to carry on because of those supportive voices around the world.

If you ask us, we would say that all developers here are our own heroes, and the players who support them are the heroes behind those heroes. For the sake of all these heroes, this project will undoubtedly continue.

Thank you for your time! It won’t be long until our next update!

Fbh

Some nice looking stuff.

The oriental exorcist, ANNO: Mutantionem and Ai Limit all look at least interesting

Kazza

I really don't like chinese games, they look like the same for me

source.gif

Mista

Banned
I was excited for this just for Lost Soul until the developer said the game won’t be there

Kazza

I was talking about the games by the way....

I know. It's ok, this isn't Era. Everyone's just joking and having fun. :messenger_beaming:

We'll be hearing more about it at Gamescom in 18 days time....It's being published by China Hero and they're being assisted by Sony and Epic Games.....

That's an impressive game, especially considering that it is being made by a small team (approx 20 people) of relatively inexperienced developers. I'm happy that they seem to be being given the time to make the game they want.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

The Chinese industry is still very young at this point, so I'm willing to give them a pass when it comes to making derivative stuff for now (so long as they do it well).

Speaking of derivative, but seemingly well-made games, here's a new PS4 trailer for Zelda: BotW Waifu Edition:

I wish we would get a Switch version of this game, it looks like it could be fun.From the little I’ve seen the gameplay looks pretty good.

thelastword

Banned
Sony is trying to penetrate in so many markets...….I think the fact that PS5 will have such strong hardware CPU+GPU at a reasonable price, that we might get much larger numbers in Korea and China and in even PC centric nations like Germany....

Yet it's great that Sony is so actively pushing development in those regions, in a few years, China will have some console behemoth games and franchises like Square from Japan...….I can see over the next few gens, that individual console sales can reach 200-500 million units, when those markets become ripe.....

Top Bottom