• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please join me in laughing at Kotaku's Microsoft Flight Simulator "Review"

MiguelItUp

They're an endless source of hilarity since the time of the articles on Japanese toilets.
It's honestly hard to believe that they keep stopping lower and lower while being equally comical if not more so with every situation. I really don't understand how they're still around.

bender

What time is it?
Undermining the premise of your 3,800 word salad review with your opening sentence.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Kdad

Oh yeah. I am.

I'm actually very surprised that my comment was passed. Normally Kotaku obliterates comments that point out their misreporting/mistakes.
I finally gave up on all of GO media 2 weeks ago ... I've stuck it out this long for Jalopnik and the occasional Kotaku or Giz story but it just has become unbearable.

Moved to The Drive for cars but looking for a new video game home...don't mind editorial content but the politics and concern post are just too much.

MayauMiao

No. But he did do a thinly veiled dissertation on the evils of capitalism.

Incidentally, here's the response of their editor.

3TL49lb.jpg

Notice how he tries to blame it on the game. "it clearly doesn't appear in the writer's game, as evidenced by the screenshot."

Here's "the screenshot."

fs9lwjahwfydmk0tvuvc.png

I actually took upon myself to find the location of "the screenshot".

gv2c2Fl.jpg

It's not that the mine doesn't appear in the writer's game. It's that the writer can't do basic navigation to save his life.

From his departure airstrip, he needed to plot a 126 degrees course to the mine, east-south-east.

He managed to go off-course by 30 degrees, precisely on a 156 degrees course, or south-south-east, ending up tens of miles off target.

"doesn't appear in the writer's game" my ass.

Imagine if the writer is a pilot and he was hired because of his anti capitalism politics instead of being a competent pilot.

Lucky for everyone, he just writes for Kotaku.

well, at least he restrained himself from writing that microsoft excluded the grasberg mine because they have little children there digging for microsoft's gold.
so it could be worse I guess... it is "kotaku" after all...

Outside of a couple of YouTubers I trust, I stick to steam reviews for the most part. “Games journalism” has been an oxymoron since Gamespot fired Jeff Gerstman.

Vaelka

At this point I just wonder what the point of reviews even is?
Reviews don't even sell games, very few people make purchase decisions based on them.
They really just come across like reviewers reviewing for reviewers.

It's like game journalists are just this clique of friends who are all just circlejerking but for some reason they get a lot of money and sponsors to circlejerk.

Authors full pretentiousness on show here:

So these Microsoft services [Referring to the cloud] aren’t just what makes the game possible; they are, to some degree, the game itself. This cuts to the intractable, ontological question of what a video game is, what can really be called a “part” of it, and where the game properly begins and ends. Is it simply the dynamic between a player and a particular set of rules? Their computer or console? A billion lines of code? Zeros and ones on a hard drive? A server in Tysons Corner, pumping data into your home from the heart of spy country? The despoiled landscapes and the exploited labor that make all of this possible?

Profound! 🤯🤯

frostyxc

3TL49lb.jpg

Notice how he tries to blame it on the game. "it clearly doesn't appear in the writer's game, as evidenced by the screenshot."

Here's "the screenshot."

fs9lwjahwfydmk0tvuvc.png

gv2c2Fl.jpg

It's not that the mine doesn't appear in the writer's game. It's that the writer can't do basic navigation to save his life.

From his departure airstrip, he needed to plot a 126 degrees course to the mine, east-south-east.

He managed to go off-course by 30 degrees, precisely on a 156 degrees course, or south-south-east, ending up tens of miles off target.

It's good to know that Kotaku's incompetence is consistent from top to the bottom. They must be raking in the cash.

"Silly error"

lmao

The silly error is that Magellan, here, is employed.

Kagey K

Banned

"Silly error"

lmao

Silly error that they based the entirety of their review upon.

It’s like saying disregard everything I wrote, because it’s all a silly error.

Fucking every day I learn how uncommon common sense is.

He would have done better by flying over everywhere a crime against humanity has been committed and telling MS it shouldn’t be in the game because crimes were committed there.

Kagey K

Banned
This seems like a fireable offense no? I mean that’s pretty stupid even by today’s standards
Seems not, excuses were already given.

“It wasn’t in his game at the time of writing” instead of ”Oh nevermind he’s an idiot.”

So it seems like he gets a free pass and the review will stand.

Ever since these sites have participated in the console wars debacle - the reviews have been steadily declining in favor for clickbaits.

Nowadays, I only read reviews for anticipated games just to see what games "journalism" is at the moment, which usually devolves into spinning politics into it to make it feel important.

Thanks for proving that written reviews need to go the way of the dinosaur. It's about live plays with on hands experience in the front telling us what really need to know: Controls, frame-rate, Stability, bugs and overall experience without some agenda placed into it.

Sleepwalker

"KOTAKU" said:
So the absence of the Grasberg Mine might be a prod to take a closer look at the assemblage of cloud servers, artificial intelligence, and Bing satellite data that make Microsoft Flight Simulator unique. (Whatever else Microsoft Flight Simulator is, it’s also a gigantic ad for 2020s Microsoft). Doing so reminds us that the game’s world is not given, so much as it is made. And when the game’s illusion of completeness fails, it raises the question of whose “anywhere” gets to be a part of everywhere, and why. Here, the illusion of the game as a hyper-realistic recreation of the real world falls away and we can see the technology and motivations of the people and businesses behind it.

d59204fe41dc784a008a81b180ec6adf.png

HonkingTonk

Neo Member
It's honestly hard to believe that they keep stopping lower and lower while being equally comical if not more so with every situation. I really don't understand how they're still around.
If Kotaku ever played a game of Limbo they would go so low that they would be on the other sidw of the planet.

UnNamed

Banned
There was a time where Kotaku made good in depth articles.

Now it's just a personal blog, where I have an opinion and it's better than yours.
The Buzzfeed of videogames.

Kdad

This is the dude writing your video game review

He is currently a research analyst in the Disinformation Action Lab at Data & Society and a research affiliate at UNC Center for Information, Technology, and Public Life.
Research Interests:
Critical Internet Studies, Platformization, STS, Political Economy, Cultural Industries, Infrastructure, Surveillance Studies

William Partin is the COO of Liminal Esports, a game-based education
R&D startup, and Director of Research at Power Play, a boutique
consultancy that services non-endemic clients entering the esports
industry. He is also a PhD candidate in Communication at the
University of North Carolina, where he researches cultural industries'
adaptations to digital platforms as increasingly key intermediaries
for the distribution of cultural content. Priorly, he was a
competitive gamer himself
and later worked for the premiere North
American esports team Evil Geniuses, which was acquired by Amazon in
2014. William's writing on games and esports has also been featured
widely in the popular press, including The Atlantic, Variety, and
Rolling Stone.

Last edited:

Kdad

How he 'identifies' on Medium

Will Partin

a featherless biped with broad nails and access to the internet

...internet DEER are confused
200w.webp

Saruhashi

Banned

3TL49lb.jpg

Here's "the screenshot."

fs9lwjahwfydmk0tvuvc.png

gv2c2Fl.jpg

Amazing that they will go to such lengths to avoid holding their hands up and admitting they were bullshitting their audience.

Throw even more bullshit out there and hope to get away with it.

Unprofessional and embarrassing.

John Day

The review is embarrassing, but the Editor justifying that “the mine didn’t appear in his game but we checked” and the writer justifying it was a “silly error” .

LOL so cringe. What a joke.

What I fear of the future of gaming is idiots like these pushing their bullshit down throats.

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
this shit is embarrassing as fuck. did all these games journalists stop maturing at around 13 years old

nemiroff

Gold Member
It's funny because it's true; Kotaku is creating great content! I mean, the aftermath from their idiotic articles and opinions is as entertaining as a professional piece written by an actual human being.

What about the lack LGBTQP+ representation? What about the fact that none of the airplanes have BLACK LIVES MATTER painted on them? What about the absence of rendered crowds of BLM peaceful protesters fighting systemic racism?
I expected more of gaming journalists. Do better kotaku!

Even though I love FS, one of their premium airports is Madeira's airport (Portugal), and being my birthplace (and where I am right now actually), its terribly done, the airport is average at best, but the island and port are completely wrong, this left me incredibly disapointed, considering Madeira is one of the most beautiful places in the world, and its airport is known for its dificult strong winds.

I was hoping they would have given much more attention to detail, specially when I saw that it was one of the premium airports, the main city of the island (Funchal) is quite small and wouldnt have required a lot of effort into making it slightly more realistic.

Aside this personal issue with the game, its an incredible game.

F*ck Kotaku

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I hate polygon as much as anyone but I don't know if this claim is true that they reviewed carrion for the wrong platform is there any proof? I'd really like to share it to some friends who don't understand how bad they are.
I just tried to find it and here's the original review:
This review is in the pc, but I kept seeing subsequent articles tagged with PS4:
See, you can't believe anything you read on the internet 🙃

Top Bottom