• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plus size Disney Princesses 'pushing boundaries' of common beauty standards

GreyHorace

What's worse than the thread of Cosmopolitan putting a plus size Yoga instructor on it's cover?

How about plus size Disney princesses doing a photo shoot that 'pushes boundaries' of common beauty standards?

e0bfccb1ea4a0b2716957190fd1a8e4c

0befbac38b630a055f39d8817d19480a

9f6c90a86ca12d8d30c7a0f53cd4b9bc

886fd2f04e2a04d366a0165ae0496318

*sighs* Guess the next Disney princess will be some fatass to give hope to obese girls everywhere.

How old are you? Such a juvenile way of conducting yourself, it's unbecoming. What exactly are you so bent out of shape about. A plus sized woman decided to gather some other plus sized women for a photo shoot. You act as if Disney has retcon all these characters and are pushing it on kids or something.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
It looks like it was a fan / influencer project and not sanctioned by Disney. I guess I’m too intellectual for this, I always thought the larger issue is extremely classist princess stereotype, which is why I liked Brave a lot.

Also LOL at this bullet point:
Disney princesses have been inspiring children for decades — but some fans argue that they don't represent everyone.
What is with the obsession of something being for everyone? Imagine if someone said The Klansman doesn’t have enough positive white representation?

GreyHorace

How old are you? Such a juvenile way of conducting yourself, it's unbecoming. What exactly are you so bent out of shape about. A plus sized woman decided to gather some other plus sized women for a photo shoot. You act as if Disney has retcon all these characters and are pushing it on kids or something.
Really? You didn't read the article and see what these women are doing? They're trying to push an unhealthy look and lifestyle and saying it's 'okay.' And I have a problem with that.

These women can do what they want with their Disney fandom. But they chose to post in online and people are free to criticize them for it.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Really? You didn't read the article and see what these women are doing? They're trying to push an unhealthy look and lifestyle and saying it's 'okay.' And I have a problem with that.

These women can do what they want with their Disney fandom. But they chose to post in online and people are free to criticize them for it.

Indeed. This one will never work though. Obesity will never look good, all those women would look 100 times better healthy and slim.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

Jokes in poor taste aside, this stuff should not be normalised. It's unhealthy and sets a poor example. Some of the folks in the article look okay to me but it’s those women whom are morbidly obese, such as the one parading around as Tinkerbell, who should not be lauded. Instead they should be encouraged to live a healthier lifestyle for their own sakes.

Papa

Banned
Jokes in poor taste aside, this stuff should not be normalised. It's unhealthy and sets a poor example. Some of the folks in the article look okay to me but it’s those women whom are morbidly obese, such as the one parading around as Tinkerbell, who should not be lauded. Instead they should be encouraged to live a healthier lifestyle for their own sakes.

wb brethren

HoodWinked

the human body has so much range. just recently a congressmen died suddenly from an aneurysm, probably something that's no larger than an inch and yet the body can sustain these insane amounts of additional weight and still survive its just unbelievable.

Zuze6s0.png

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
the human body has so much range. just recently a congressmen died suddenly from an aneurysm, probably something that's no larger than an inch and yet the body can sustain these insane amounts of additional weight and still survive its just unbelievable.

Zuze6s0.png

Eh, not sure about that. It comes with huge downsides and it would have been more impressive if the body would stop storing fat after a certain amount. Maybe in the next patch.

Last edited:

epicnemesis

Eh, not sure about that. It comes with huge downsides and it would have been more impressive if the body would stop storing fat after a certain amount. Maybe in the next patch.
I feel like my body does this. I have an upper boundary of like 225 and a lower boundary of 205. When I was in actually good shape I was 210. Now I’m a flabby fuck at 213. That muscle to fat ratio is no joke.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
The thing that triggers me is something like:
'pushes boundaries' of common beauty standards
This is why you had Brexit and Donald Trump and thousands of other conspiracy theories - the notion that everything is this:

jeff bridges fgc GIF

Obesity is a factual state. It has proven, scientific health consequences. The whole 'body positivity' ignores this, because hey, you are just supposed to speak with unicorns and rainbows. As mentioned in other thread - in the US it's not so much a problem given the way healthcare is structured, but in Europe a large portion of healthcare expenditure is used treating health conditions resulting from obesity, how is that fair to other people that did not make bad life choices?

SonorFagoen

Neo Member
You can put as much lipstick on your pig as you want, but it'll never make it beautiful.
The only thing I have to say is there are some people in this world that understand great Sci Fi flicks and there are some who don't. And those who do ultimately agree it's better to fuck a blue plant than that Disney Princess.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
When I think “Plus Size” modeling I think sizes 12-16. Ashley Graham is a 16 and her size also created the kind of debate this shoot does.

This goes far, far beyond that. Like they could have made the same statement about beauty standards with a more traditional plus sized group of women that are vastly more healthy than this group.

I’m looking at this wondering “why stop at 300lbs? Let’s get weird and go 600!”

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I see nothing wrong with this. All they're doing is cosplaying. If someone is fat and they want to cosplay, let them and let them enjoy it! Even if they're at a con!

Some of these responses reminds me of when black and brown (Asians seems to get a pass tho) folks cosplayed as white characters and getting harassed for it in comments and cons.

"You don't belong here because you don't look the part"

SuperGooey

Obesity is bad for both your physical and you mental health. Especially during Covid times, we should not be encouraging kids that being obese is OK.

Should we mock and shame fat people? No. Should fat people hate themselves? No. But I think it is important to encourage people with (perfectly avoidable) bad health habits to better themselves. Seriously, being obese can really fuck you up. It's no joke.

Soodanim

Luckily there seems to be a movement towards fitness more than ever (at least in the UK), so the chubby chasers can have their fill but more people would rather be fit and be with someone that is fit than any attempt at normalising the undeniable truth that pushing unhealthy weight classes is never going to take hold. Except in places where it’s normal to have Chris Redfield punch you so you get out of the way.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Obesity is bad for both your physical and you mental health. Especially during Covid times, we should not be encouraging kids that being obese is OK.

Should we mock and shame fat people? No. Should fat people hate themselves? No. But I think it is important to encourage people with (perfectly avoidable) bad health habits to better themselves. Seriously, being obese can really fuck you up. It's no joke.

Then start with the cause not the effect. Imagine if 75% of the shelves in super markets and gas stations were filled with heroin, there was even heroin specifically made for children and most advertising was for heroin. Would you then be surprised that most people are heroin addicts? Nope. For that reason heroin is illegal.

Last edited:

SuperGooey

Then start with the cause not the effect. Imagine if 75% of the shelves in super markets and gas stations were filled with heroin, there was even heroin specifically made for children and most advertising was for heroin. Would you then be surprised that most people are heroin addicts? Nope. For that reason heroin is illegal.
Regardless of what's available, parents should do some actual parenting by not allowing their children to ear so much junk. There is absolutely no reason why a child should be obese, but that's a whole different discussion right there...

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Regardless of what's available, parents should do some actual parenting by not allowing their children to ear so much junk. There is absolutely no reason why a child should be obese, but that's a whole different discussion right there...

Guess so, but it's the same thing. Kids get bombarded by the same ads and see terrible food everywhere, even in their school cafeterias.

Riven326

Banned
I see nothing wrong with this. All they're doing is cosplaying. If someone is fat and they want to cosplay, let them and let them enjoy it! Even if they're at a con!

Some of these responses reminds me of when black and brown (Asians seems to get a pass tho) folks cosplayed as white characters and getting harassed for it in comments and cons.

"You don't belong here because you don't look the part"
Same thing would happen if a white guy dressed up as Black Panther.

Top Bottom