• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plus size Disney Princesses 'pushing boundaries' of common beauty standards

Gloves off? Ok. Go ahead.

And I live in the real world, "tough guy". Keep on. I have all day.
Aww Pity GIF by MOODMAN

He thinks Wakanda is a real place, show me where it is on a map of the Earth

I'll wait.
I don't have a Problem with Black Panther staying black. Even though he was my favorite Avenger when I was a little boy, and wanted to be him. And nowadays I'd not even be able to say that loudly without getting scolded.

But I really can only laugh about that "the Asgardian are aliens and can therefore be any race, but my fantasy african country people needs to stay black" argument.

DESTROYA

Only thing wrong with his argument is that the title of Black Panther goes back generations in a country that is or was closed off from the rest of Africa and the world. There couldn't be a white BP nor King.

Heimdall in the MCU is an alien, like Thor and the rest of the Asgardians. They're not Norse. They inspired Norse mythology but they aren't the actual norse gods.

Circling back to BP, he DOES have an adopted brother who is white. But he has never been a BP. He's instead the white wolf (MCU changed the WW to Bucky but anyway...).
You are using two different ”universes” to make your point and doesn’t apply.
In comics Heimdall and the rest of the Asgardians are Norse gods not Aliens , they added the Alien part in the MCU to appease the SJW crowd so any person can play a character.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that but still a but

Then we can see a way White dude as the BP

Scott Porter

Character information

Hunter the White Wolf is a Marvel Comics character, featured in Avengers Assemble: Black Panther's Quest. He is the estranged, adopted brother of T'Challa.

Like someone said all this is fiction and made up stories so yes anything is possible.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I don't know if this is really cringe...it is just something you don't find appealing. I don't find it appealing either, but I don't care if people of any shape want to parade around in costumes.

DESTROYA

I don't know if this is really cringe...it is just something you don't find appealing. I don't find it appealing either, but I don't care if people of any shape want to parade around in costumes.
These are “ supposed “ influencers so we shouldn’t normalize this body type.
Personally I don’t get the whole influencers thing because I‘m a grown adult and can think for my own but little kids or others are easily swayed by this shit.
Kids and immature people are addicted to social media and showing this garbage on TicToc or FB to them it’s OK to weigh 300Lbs.

Personally I don’t get the whole influencers thing because I‘m a grown adult and can think for my own but little kids or others are easily swayed by this shit.
Kids and immature people are addicted to social media and showing this garbage on TicToc or FB to them it’s OK to weigh 300Lbs.
lol add at least another 150

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Given that they are influencers, this would be an unhealthy way to influence others. Being overweight myself and working on not being there, I can tell you that no matter what you want to convince yourself, being in shape is much better than being obese.

Woo-Fu

Banned
We’re going to need more pixie dust...

She's one of those space fairies. You can be as fat as you want in zero-g. Even better, you can have food in your own personal orbit.

I suppose you still have to deal with inertia but then again inertia is why most of these people are fat to begin with.

Last edited:

Liamario

Banned
As a fat bastard, I can tell you that this shit is wrong. It's one thing promoting healthy body image and self confidence, it's an entirely different thing promoting obesity.
These women aren't healthy and they should not be seen as normal. Maybe we shouldn't shame them, buy we definitely shouldn't promote them as normal physical specimens.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
I dont think its beauty standards its health standards. There are people who are bigger than look beautiful however being overweight or obese comes with a long list of problems especially later on in life. I wish people would focus on their health and not push a "fat is beautiful" agenda. You can be beautiful no matter what, except one is healthy and the other isnt

desertdroog

Disney knows their customers:

The shapes of those involved in a fun family time in the Magical Kingdom are not that different than the fatty princesses being pushed.

Fbh

Eh, I think the Cosmopolitan thing is way worse.

This is just some fat people in cosplay. If it makes them happy good for them.
It's media outlets going out of their way to praise overweight people and downplay the health risks that is the real issue.

It's like...if you want to make a cosplay of characters drinking or smoking that's fine with me. What would be bad is magazines going "THIS IS HEALTHY!!!. Jenny smokes 10 packs a day and says she feels better than ever!. She is doing some smoking cosplay to fight the increasingly negative image of smokers. We sat down with her to talk about how discriminated she feels every time she steps on a plane and when her doctor encourages her to cut back on the smoking on every visit".

Last edited:
You are using two different ”universes” to make your point and doesn’t apply.
In comics Heimdall and the rest of the Asgardians are Norse gods not Aliens , they added the Alien part in the MCU to appease the SJW crowd so any person can play a character.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that but still a but.
Ther wouldn't be anything wrong with it if it were the same rules for anybody.

But if my ancestors religion is fair game for SJW nonsense, then every one should be.

Are you sure you don't want get instantly triggered then throw around grade 6 level insults at a bunch of women who are cosplaying Disney characters and then pretend that this level of vitriolic insults is totally normal adult behavior?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Are you sure you don't want get instantly triggered then throw around grade 6 level insults at a bunch of women who are cosplaying Disney characters and then pretend that this level of vitriolic insults is totally normal adult behavior?
I’m cool. I’m a man, over 40.

UnNamed

Banned
These people have a distorted view of what beauty and beauty standards are.

Beauty standards evolve with time, costume and society, it was never imposed from above. Even Victoria's Secret girls are hardly an example of beauty standard despite the fashion market push for skinny girls.

Beauty is not just "good looking", and some these people are just too much, everything but good looking for every standard in every country in the world. Beauty is a path to improve, to be better, and only then accept the result. This people are saying you don't need to improve because your failures are good anyway. Bad is becoming good.

People who are overweight should not be attacked, but obesity should not be applauded as if it's a good thing. None of these women will live to the age of 65.

Also note how only overweight women are given support, but overweight men are still considered 'fat'.

This whole plus-sized movement is steeped in ignorance, anti-scientific thinking and misandry.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Obesity shouldn't be celebrated, any more than any other unhealthy thing should. It shouldn't be shamed either, but don't try to make this seem like just any other normal body type. It's not. These women are dangerously fat, and might die from it. That's not something children should strive for.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
How can companies encourage unhealthy lifestyles and obesity? I would never promote that but an active and healthy lifestyle.

Stouffers

Banned
How can companies encourage unhealthy lifestyles and obesity? I would never promote that but an active and healthy lifestyle.
Fat women spend a lot of time in grocery stores and on the toilet. People read magazines in line at the grocer and on the shitter. You play to your audience.

SJRB

Gold Member
Don't forget that pretty much any company's business model revolves around making money.

They're in it for money, and nothing else. You think Cosmo gives a fuck if some girl ends up weighing 200 pounds and gets all sorts of medical problems? Of course not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom