• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Preview Information

Fake

I never played Pokémon but by exp share you mean the party members who are not in battle also get exp? Isn’t that a good thing?

In parts. If you played Sword and Shield you came at the gym leader with 10 or 20 levels ahead the gym battle lvl pkmns.

The old exp.share, as the name suggest, 'share' the exp with other pkmns. Is good for pokemon with high lvl train pkmns with lower lvl, but the new you can litelary beat a game without using your others pkmns because your main/others get so full exp instead of sharing some.

For me, after beating 100% this is kinda good for competitive, but let him turn ON the entire adventure broke the game. You just go to the pkmn center to refresh the PP.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In parts. If you played Sword and Shield you came at the gym leader with 10 or 20 levels ahead the gym battle lvl pkmns.

The old exp.share, as the name suggest, 'share' the exp with other pkmns. Is good for pokemon with high lvl train pkmns with lower lvl, but the new you can litelary beat a game without using your others pkmns because your main/others get so full exp instead of sharing some.

For me, after beating 100% this is kinda good for competitive, but let him turn ON the entire adventure broke the game. You just go to the pkmn center to refresh the PP.
Does Pokemon games have multiple difficulty options? In my mind I keep picturing Pokemon similar to Demons you recruit in SMT, with their strength and weakness but I'm guessing battles plays differently in Pokémon compare to SMT games.

Fake

Does Pokemon games have multiple difficulty options? In my mind I keep picturing Pokemon similar to Demons you recruit in SMT, with their strength and weakness but I'm guessing battles plays differently in Pokémon compare to SMT games.

Never had. My problem is, is so fucking easy to implement an option to turn OFF. Nobody get losing, if you like turn on, if you dislike turn off.

Danjin44

Never had. My problem is, is so fucking easy to implement an option to turn OFF. Nobody get losing, if you like turn on, if you dislike turn off.
Like FROM games, they might have reason why they don't want difficulty option in their games......who knows.

Fake

Like FROM games, they might have reason why they don't want difficulty option in their games......who knows.

The comparison with FROM choises is not right here. You see, exp.share in previous games was always optional. Sword/Shield foward was forced always ON.

Danjin44

The comparison with FROM choises is not right here. You see, exp.share in previous games was always optional. Sword/Shield foward was forced always ON.
Oh you are talking about exp share, I thought you talking about overall difficulty option, then yeah you are right.

theclaw135

Banned
Oh you are talking about exp share, I thought you talking about overall difficulty option, then yeah you are right.

The whiners have no clue what they're talking about.

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth not only has exp share by default, it gives exp to digimon in the training boxes - including during sleep mode while the game is not even being played!

Saiyan-Rox

Pokemon games never get a difficult option.

I believe black and white 2 had a challenge mode but unlocking it was a massive pain in the ass.

But apart from that yeah no other difficultly options the games just got easier and easier.

Vae_Victis

Banned
I believe black and white 2 had a challenge mode but unlocking it was a massive pain in the ass.

But apart from that yeah no other difficultly options the games just got easier and easier.

There was a "Hard mode" technically, but it was beyond frustrating to unlock, and even then it didn't really change anything.

I don't remember which game had which, but basically if you completed either Black 2 or White 2 you received an item that allowed you to set up a game in either Easy Mode or Hard Mode. Apart from the idiotic fact that Game Freak was also gating Easy Mode behind completing what is effectively "Normal Mode", you needed to mess around with multiple cartridges to apply the item to another copy of the game in order to actually use it (you couldn't just tell your game "Hey, I have unlocked Hard Mode, I want to start a new game in Hard Mode". Starting a new game without saving the item on a different cartridge would immediately wipe out your save file, including the Hard Mode item, which was then lost and impossible to use).

On top of that mess, Hard Mode was not even really any harder. What it did was giving NPCs higher level Pokemon, but due to the way EXP worked in Generation 5 you received more EXP the larger the level difference between your Pokemon and the opponent's, so in practice whenever the game was supposed to put you in front of a level gap you almost immediately caught up in terms of level, and in turns also ended up unlocking stronger moves earlier than in a normal game.

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth not only has exp share by default, it gives exp to digimon in the training boxes - including during sleep mode while the game is not even being played!

And this little piece of trivia is in any way relevant to the discussion at hand because...?

Saber

Gold Member

Are you seriously comparing Pokemon with Digimon Cyber Sleuth? What a dinsenginous comparison.

Want me to enlighten you to Digimon or will you rethink about playing it again?

Last edited:

Fake

lmao

Just for you know, I have Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth and that 'hard mode' is by far the most unbalanced structure I ever see.

You don't know shit about what are you talking about.

Last edited:
I want to clarify some things that I don't think anyone is explaining well.
-I don't think anyone is really upset that exp share is in the game, it's that they cannot turn it off.
-The balancing in Pokémon games has always been pretty bad to the point they are extremely easy to just go through them with only a single over leveled Pokémon.
-The fact that you cannot turn exp share off means now you have a whole team of over leveled Pokémon.
-One last thing I want to note is everyone seems to be blaming Nintendo for this when they had little to do with these games. If you you want to blame a company blame Pokémon Company for having these games rushed out to sell the latest set of Pokémon Cards.

Pokémon game balancing seems to be an issues with how the Ai battles. They seem to mostly just go for type weaknesses and they have very little in terms of strategy. In the beginning of the game as long as you have the right type you win. Later in you don't even need that. You may just play with only a single Pokémon, by doing that it ends up massively over leveled as early as the third gym. They have tried to rectify this with how exp was handled starting with Gen 5 I believe. This game made it so that the higher your Pokémon's level was compared to the opponent the less exp you would get.
As someone already mentioned there was a difficulty mode in Black 2 and White 2. But these just raised the levels of trainers Pokémon. With the new leveling system this made it that your Pokémon would instead just level up faster making only a small part of the beginning slightly harder.
However to use this difficulty you had to unlock it. To do so you needed to beat the champion in Black 2 then transfer the key to a separate copy of Black 2 or White 2. It had to be Black 2 since beating the Champion in White 2 unlocked Easy Mode.

I hope that clears things up. Feel free to correct me on some things.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
lmao

Just for you know, I have Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth and that 'hard mode' is by far the most unbalanced structure I ever see.

You don't know shit about what are you talking about.

I know enough to know that all Digimon in the party receive experience points. Literally the exact thing Pokemon fans are bawling over.

Top Bottom